Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5482 Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Well that went well. No errors or glitches, all updated.

But audyssey failed to find my surrounds.
It had said to put the mic in the center of the listening area so I put it on a pile on the coffee table. It pinged my speakers up til the RS and then canceled due to "Speaker Detect Error". So I moved the mic, and just held it at ear level in the main listening seat. It pinged all up to the RS, then RS again louder, then same error.

I have my windows open since it's so damn hot today but I wouldn't think a few outside noises would do anything but I'm going to close them up and try again.

I'm also running Klipsch RF-82s for the fronts and an RC-62 for the center with a couple satellites, Klipsch RXS-4s for the surrounds until my RS-62s arrive. I would think it would still detect those though. They are going to be my heights once the real surrounds show up.

Well even with windows all closed my surrounds still aren't detected.

I do know they are hooked up right since I ran the pink noise and heard it in each channel, same one the OSD told me it was checking at the time.

Okay, I tried again and this time when it got to the RS I pointed the mic towards it and it still failed. It only tried a louder ping one time. The other 3-4 times it just quit after one try. Bummer.

I just noticed that even though it said speaker detect error for the SBR it says "Yes" but in grey. Wonder if I should try putting the surrounds in the other surround inputs (zone 3)?

Okay, that made it work. Changing the surround inputs that is.
post #723 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Hey all...new NR807 owner here, so far i'm mostly loving my new toy, but it certainly has had some hiccups along the way.

My latest one that I"m not sure how to resolve is when using internet radio, specifically pandora. I haven't tried any of the other ones as I don't use them, but it's pretty frustrating!

The symptom its having is when i start playing a song on pandora, it displays the information on the screen, i can select if i like it or don't etc, but a bar at the top few inches of my screen appears and starts filling up vertically...once it gets to the top of my screen the display goes blank. I can't do anything to get the display to show up on the screen again, other than changing back to a different input (cbl/sat, game) and then i go back and it works fine...I just performed a firmware update this morning so I'm not sure what else to try. Hopefully its something simple i can change in a configuration that I can't find...
post #724 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 09:33 AM

6 HDMI ports and only 5 inputs to assign them to? How do I create more inputs?

Thanks!
post #725 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandend View Post

I've had this happen twice as well. I hope Onkyo is working on a firmware update to address these problems. The good thing about the European model is that there is an on/off power switch on the front, so no need to unplug the power cable.

I've also had ther no audio quirk ,no speaker icons in display, and switching to tuner solved the problem. I do hope this is not a persistant problem and if so a firmware updat should address it - I do have the latest 1FE979A unless a new one has come out
post #726 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp43 View Post

6 HDMI ports and only 5 inputs to assign them to? How do I create more inputs?

Thanks!

DVD
VCR
CBL
Game
Port
Phono
CD
TV/Tape
post #727 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1971 View Post

DVD
VCR
CBL
Game
Port
Phono
CD
TV/Tape

So I have the HT-RC180....

Setup->#1 I/O Assign->#2 HDMI Input

Choices are:

DVD/BD
VCR/DVR
CBL/SAT
GAME
AUX

Are you saying the 807 has more choices?

Thanks!
post #728 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp43 View Post

So I have the HT-RC180....

Setup->#1 I/O Assign->#2 HDMI Input

Choices are:

DVD/BD
VCR/DVR
CBL/SAT
GAME
AUX

Are you saying the 807 has more choices?

Thanks!

Answered my own question....(scroll down dummy!)

Thanks
post #729 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Hi, I was writing to see if users of the 807 can help me on one minor point. I have a Sharp blueray player and television, and currently I have all of my inputs going into the receiver, and then one single output from the receiver going to the television. My sharp blueray player has a feature called "aquos pure mode", which enables automatic video adjustments and settings based on the discs aspect ratio and so forth. I am not sure which setting I need to use to have just the video pass through unprocessed, while leaving the audio processed by the receiver. Thanks in advance.

As a follow-up to my own post here, I was able to check into the settings for HDMI inputs. I did find the section where you ask the receiver whether you want the receiver to upscale (which I have disabled) but the receiver continues to change my LCD's televisions viewing mode to "smart stretch", which I obviously do not want. Again, I hope that other users can tell me what area I need to find in order to completely disable any meddling from the receiver with the HDMI's video signal.
post #730 of 5482 Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 PM

Hi All,
I got my 807 about 2 weeks ago. I have ran a firmware update which got stuck on VSP %15. I have powered off the receiver since nothing worked, read the comments about killing all HDMI signals from the back, tried again and this time it worked just fine. But from some reason I cannot use the network feature not. When I go to the menu the network feature is grayed out. Everything else works fine. Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I emailed tech support but have yet to hear back from them.

Thanks in advance.
EE.
post #731 of 5482 Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

Well that went well. No errors or glitches, all updated.

But audyssey failed to find my surrounds.
It had said to put the mic in the center of the listening area so I put it on a pile on the coffee table. It pinged my speakers up til the RS and then canceled due to "Speaker Detect Error". So I moved the mic, and just held it at ear level in the main listening seat. It pinged all up to the RS, then RS again louder, then same error.

I have my windows open since it's so damn hot today but I wouldn't think a few outside noises would do anything but I'm going to close them up and try again.

I'm also running Klipsch RF-82s for the fronts and an RC-62 for the center with a couple satellites, Klipsch RXS-4s for the surrounds until my RS-62s arrive. I would think it would still detect those though. They are going to be my heights once the real surrounds show up.

Well even with windows all closed my surrounds still aren't detected.

I do know they are hooked up right since I ran the pink noise and heard it in each channel, same one the OSD told me it was checking at the time.

Okay, I tried again and this time when it got to the RS I pointed the mic towards it and it still failed. It only tried a louder ping one time. The other 3-4 times it just quit after one try. Bummer.

I just noticed that even though it said speaker detect error for the SBR it says "Yes" but in grey. Wonder if I should try putting the surrounds in the other surround inputs (zone 3)?

Okay, that made it work. Changing the surround inputs that is.

Had same problem, first was trying to set my surround speakers as Zone 2 Rear Surround Left and Rear Surround Right. Kept getting Speaker detect error message. Called Onkyo and found that these Zone 2 Rear Surround Speaker settings would be incorrect. Surround Zone 3 Left and Right must be used first before you can hook up speakers for use as Back Surround Zone 2 Left and Right. Also note that if you are using remote speakers (in another room), the remote speakers must be set for "Zone 2and you then loose your ability to have Rear surround speakers.
post #732 of 5482 Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM

Well since I'm not as knowledgeable as others on this board I thought I would share the one thing I came up with in case it makes things easier for someone else who hadn't thought of this.

I bought red double banana plugs to connect the speaker wire to the avr. I got all red ones so that I could write on them in black sharpie to indicate what channel that connection is. So now I can see what it is just by looking over the top of the avr, no need to be behind it to read it off the avr and no need to unplug them until you find the right one. Here's how it looks:

A minor thing but I wanted to share what I could.

Oh, and I got all different colored hdmi cables so I can easily see what's what for those too.
post #733 of 5482 Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Solved it. Disconnected the power for 30 secs and plugged back in, and network came up, I am streaming music like a champ.

Only issue is I cannot hook up my itunes library from my Mac using MediaLink. Onkyo cannot find server... any luck with Mac OS X and Onkyo anyone?
post #734 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 AM

Just a quick one.

Does the 807 have a GUI? And if so, does it overlay the on screen video?

Thanks
post #735 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonone1 View Post

Just a quick one.

Does the 807 have a GUI? And if so, does it overlay the on screen video?

Thanks

yes and no, all messages including volume overlay video, setup is gui but does not overlay the video (not sure why people like that feature I had it on the my 3808ci and found it distracting and harder to read the menu's depending on what was behind on the screen IMO)
post #736 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

contact Suzook anyone considering a 807 you may be able to get the 1007 for the price of an 807. something to look into. the group buy is only for the 1007 3007 5007. if you interested add your name to the list on the 5007 thread.
post #737 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM

anyone else have this issue? maybe i need ot just call onkyo support...it happens completely intermittently so its tough to say whats causing it. Sometimes power cycling the reciever resolves it...other times not so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman View Post

Hey all...new NR807 owner here, so far i'm mostly loving my new toy, but it certainly has had some hiccups along the way.

My latest one that I"m not sure how to resolve is when using internet radio, specifically pandora. I haven't tried any of the other ones as I don't use them, but it's pretty frustrating!

The symptom its having is when i start playing a song on pandora, it displays the information on the screen, i can select if i like it or don't etc, but a bar at the top few inches of my screen appears and starts filling up vertically...once it gets to the top of my screen the display goes blank. I can't do anything to get the display to show up on the screen again, other than changing back to a different input (cbl/sat, game) and then i go back and it works fine...I just performed a firmware update this morning so I'm not sure what else to try. Hopefully its something simple i can change in a configuration that I can't find...

post #738 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman View Post

anyone else have this issue? maybe i need ot just call onkyo support...it happens completely intermittently so its tough to say whats causing it. Sometimes power cycling the reciever resolves it...other times not so much!

No, I actually read your post several times to figure out what is happening. Sounds like the screen simply goes blank like a curtain is being lowered in front of a stage. Or maybe the same thing, but from bottom to top? That is definitely a question for Onkyo.
post #739 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e143slime8 View Post

Had same problem, first was trying to set my surround speakers as Zone 2 Rear Surround Left and Rear Surround Right. Kept getting Speaker detect error message. Called Onkyo and found that these Zone 2 Rear Surround Speaker settings would be incorrect. Surround Zone 3 Left and Right must be used first before you can hook up speakers for use as Back Surround Zone 2 Left and Right. Also note that if you are using remote speakers (in another room), the remote speakers must be set for "Zone 2and you then loose your ability to have Rear surround speakers.

So are you saying that you can't have rear surround speakers in the main room and Zone 2 speakers in another room? Or am I misunderstanding your post?
post #740 of 5482 Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmo34 View Post

So are you saying that you can't have rear surround speakers in the main room and Zone 2 speakers in another room? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

I think (correct me if I am wrong) that you can have 5.2 plus a zone or 3.2 plus 2 zones. But not 7.2 plus 2 zones. That is unless your zones are over preouts. But it is an easy menu change to make...
post #741 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:

This is true. In order for you to have remote speakers operating in Zone 2, you need to connect the speaker wires to "surround back/Zone 2R" and "surround back/Zone 2L" terminals. You then need to choose "Zone 2 Act in the speaker setup screen. This will give you remote speaker ability (note, read the instructions on how to control the volume for the remote speakers). In short, the "surround back/Zone 2" teminals are for either surround back OR remote hookups". You still have Zone 3 for the normal left and right surround speakers.

With these settings, you then will be able to use the Audigy microphone to set up your system.

Good luck.
post #742 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e143slime8 View Post

This is true. In order for you to have remote speakers operating in Zone 2, you need to connect the speaker wires to "surround back/Zone 2R" and "surround back/Zone 2L" terminals. You then need to choose "Zone 2 Act in the speaker setup screen. This will give you remote speaker ability (note, read the instructions on how to control the volume for the remote speakers). In short, the "surround back/Zone 2" teminals are for either surround back OR remote hookups". You still have Zone 3 for the normal left and right surround speakers.

With these settings, you then will be able to use the Audigy microphone to set up your system.

Good luck.

I just want to clarify this and am a little slow on the uptake:-): if I want to have a second set of speakers in another room, I have to sacrifice my rear surrounds?
Are there any receivers in a similar price range that allows me to have rear surrounds and a zone in another room?
post #743 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The network capability of the Onkyo 807 is an interesting feature as I contemplate a new AVR. I notice that the manual says it will handle FLAC files, including 24 bit and sample rates of 88.2 and 96 KHz. Has anyone had experience playing these high-resolution audio files with the Onkyo?
post #744 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I just want to clarify this and am a little slow on the uptake:-): if I want to have a second set of speakers in another room, I have to sacrifice my rear surrounds?
Are there any receivers in a similar price range that allows me to have rear surrounds and a zone in another room?

If you want to power them with the receiver, yes you have to sacrifice the rear surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

The network capability of the Onkyo 807 is an interesting feature as I contemplate a new AVR. I notice that the manual says it will handle FLAC files, including 24 bit and sample rates of 88.2 and 96 KHz. Has anyone had experience playing these high-resolution audio files with the Onkyo?

Since there have been other devices like the squeezebox that have been doing it for years, it would be surprising if there are any issues. I haven't even looked into the setup involved in streaming FLAC to the Onkyo, but if it's not too hard I may give it a shot.
post #745 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

.. Since there have been other devices like the squeezebox that have been doing it for years, it would be surprising if there are any issues. ...

Thanks!
I've not found too many devices that support the 88.2 and 96 KHz rates. For instance the (more expensive) Denon AVR-3310ci is limited to 48 KHz.
post #746 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:

How about an A/B Speaker Selector Switch?
post #747 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

How about an A/B Speaker Selector Switch?

Not on the 807 according to the web site connectivity features

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

Speaker A/+B -
post #748 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

For anyone looking for an NR807 deal/sale, check out the RC180 at OneCall and J&R. Differences are the RC180 is missing 1 HDMI input, wired IR in/out, and 12v triggers. Both etailers have it for $729 and free shipping.

Here are the differences I can see so far.

One less HDMI in
110W/channel vs. 135W/channel
No RS-232
No wired IR in/out
Cannot transcode from S-Video or Composite to Component
Cannot upconvert Component to Component (pass through only)
No 12V Trigger for zone 2/3
Not "Sirius Ready", but can stream "Sirius Internet Radio".

The only feature I could see missing in the future is the 12V trigger if I add wides, but there are workarounds, and so far, this seems like a great AVR. Love the features, setup was a breeze and the sound is great. Audyssey setup was easy and pretty intuitive. It found my Storcenter IX2 NAS and all the music on it. I logged into my Pandora account without a hitch, and Internet Radio works great.

Video processing of cable TV is significantly better than that performed by either my SA8300HD STB or Westy 42w2 LCD, and the smart stretch is nice when I happen to watch 4:3 SD content (neither the 8300 or my old TV could switch automatically, so this was a nice bonus). I haven't had time to compare the DVD upscaling/deinterlacing vs my Pioneer DV-400v, but I don't see and issues yet.
post #749 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec630 View Post

Not on the 807 according to the web site connectivity features

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=f

Speaker A/+B -

I didn't mean on the receiver, I meant inline on the speaker wire. Would this http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...00%2F37084.jpgnot work? I planned to get one...
post #750 of 5482 Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

I did stream my 24/96 Flacs on my 807 using Tversity. It works like a charm, not a single file the Onkyo couldn't handle (yet). It even shows a little cover if it is embedded in the file
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page