Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so you've got your 2 channel source hooked up to your preamp, so that for stereo only you are using the tube preamp. If so, then I totally get that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM

For those of you that have the receiver "clicking" when it adjusts the sound level (b/w tv show vs. commercial, etc.), is there any workaround? Did you send your's back for another? Please help!
post #813 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmaan1 View Post

For those of you that have the receiver "clicking" when it adjusts the sound level (b/w tv show vs. commercial, etc.), is there any workaround? Did you send your's back for another? Please help!

HI .... well, I can tell you what my 807 does and maybe this will shed some light on the subject? When I turn mine on, it will "click" after about 10 seconds at which time the speaker icons light up ... then I have sound.

I have an HDMI going from my cable box to the 807 (and an HDMI going from the 807 to the TV) and as I surf channels, my 807 will "click" as it decides to change the audio format for the given channel I stop to look at ... I think if the 807 decides that the audio format needs adjustment, it will do this .... so you could say as it decides to change gears ... it will "click".

This is my 3rd Onkyo product ... the last 2 I had "clicked" like this one does, although the 807 has a lot more to think about as I change inputs, or as I change channels on the TV ... so I just kind of assume this is normal so I have not let it bother me.

If I am listening to a CD I will often change listening formats to see if I can improve the sound .... so as I am going from one format to another, of course the 807 will "click" as it goes through [and rests upon] the selection I have made .....

not sure if this answers your question ... but hope it helps.

This is actually my 2nd NR807 .... the first one I got was bad out of the box. I could not get any audio out of it no matter what I did. The speaker icons would not light up. I decided to bypass the speakers altogether by simply using the headphones, and still had no audio no matter what I did. I am using high end cables and checked everything a hundred times .... I know I had everything hooked up the right way ..... so Crutchfield did an exchange with me ..... so far, so good.
post #814 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Booztd View Post

I just set up my 807 last night and everything seems to be working fine, but i kind of expected a little more bass from my front speakers. As of right now I only have just the front left and right speakers, they are Klipsch RF-82's. When playing a CD or the radio, it doesn't seem to have that much bass. When I hooked these speakers up to my old receiver, the sound was a lot "crisper" and had "good" bass. Since I only have two speakers set up, I know i'm limited to the different listening modes i can choose but how would i go about getting more bass out of these speakers? I haven't run the Audessy yet and will try that this evening to see if that helps out some. And also since i do not have a center channel speaker, does the 807 go into "phantom" mode when I set the center speaker to "none" in the menu? I know there is a lot of tinkering to do but I was just looking for a quick input to get some more bass out of these speakers which i know they have. Thanks.

HI .... I have only had my 807 for about 3 weeks and I am still messing around with it as time permits to get the most out of my KEF towers, which can deliver a ton of bass. I am closer now .... but .... I ended up going into the speaker calibration menu and adjusting things my self even after doing the Audyssey calibration. There is a lot of adjustment possible, and thank God the calibration is there for us to use ......

The 807 is really cool, but I have found that it has forced me to learn a lot more about the basics of audio .... I have found that I did not know as much as I thought I did about this subject (audio).
post #815 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCat View Post

HI .... well, I can tell you what my 807 does and maybe this will shed some light on the subject? When I turn mine on, it will "click" after about 10 seconds at which time the speaker icons light up ... then I have sound.

I have an HDMI going from my cable box to the 807 (and an HDMI going from the 807 to the TV) and as I surf channels, my 807 will "click" as it decides to change the audio format for the given channel I stop to look at ... I think if the 807 decides that the audio format needs adjustment, it will do this .... so you could say as it decides to change gears ... it will "click".

This is my 3rd Onkyo product ... the last 2 I had "clicked" like this one does, although the 807 has a lot more to think about as I change inputs, or as I change channels on the TV ... so I just kind of assume this is normal so I have not let it bother me.

If I am listening to a CD I will often change listening formats to see if I can improve the sound .... so as I am going from one format to another, of course the 807 will "click" as it goes through [and rests upon] the selection I have made .....

not sure if this answers your question ... but hope it helps.

This is actually my 2nd NR807 .... the first one I got was bad out of the box. I could not get any audio out of it no matter what I did. The speaker icons would not light up. I decided to bypass the speakers altogether by simply using the headphones, and still had no audio no matter what I did. I am using high end cables and checked everything a hundred times .... I know I had everything hooked up the right way ..... so Crutchfield did an exchange with me ..... so far, so good.

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just have to get used to it. My old Onkyo 600 didn't do this so it's new for me. Maybe a couple stiff drinks and I'll forget all about it
post #816 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've got a question on bi-amping with this receiver...I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to getting into the "nitty/gritty" of home theater so perhaps someone could enlighten me on this.

I set the system to BiAMP in the menu setup and re-ran Audyssey to reconfigure the system.

For some reason the fronts I have now sound really flat (and honestly like crap). Do you need anything more to BiAMP? I removed the metal jumpers and the speakers are Klipsch RB-61. I kept going back and forth from stereo (both of those) and then mono (just pumping the Klipsch RC-52) and before I did this all three sounded great and identical (matched) but now you can tell where the Bi-amped speakers are really sounding like crap. Is there something in between that needs to be done to get it right or should I just go back to one set of wires and replace the jumper cable. Thanks gurus!!! It basically seems like it's missing a portion of the frequency spectrum.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #817 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM

I'm a new owner of the TX-NR807 and I've run into an interesting config issue. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I'm using Analog out (no HDMI connections) and the standard "Through" mode. All my sources are SVideo or Component.

When VideoProcessing is set to "use" (the default) I don't see any Closed Captions passed from my DTV Tivo -> Svideo -> TV Svideo. However, the OSD (volume, muting, etc) all work fine. There is no up conversion in this config (480i/60hz -> 480i/60hz).

If I follow the recommendation on page 27 of the manual to set VideoProcessing to "skip" then Closed Captions start working however the OSD stops working.

So, basically two things here to report:

1) If you're missing your OSD with Analog output then you may have set VideoProcessing to "skip".

2) If using Analog output and VideoProcessing is set to "use" then no Closed Captions will appear even if the display info indicates that no up conversion is taking place.

Frustrating. Can anyone else confirm this?

Scott
post #818 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Liked: 14
I only got to page 11 and then skipped to 27, 28.

I'm in the market for a new receiver and was looking at this one: Sony ES STR-DA4400ES, which is $1300. When I chatted with the guy at Crutchfield he suggested this one: Onkyo TX-NR807, $1000.

At first I was a little skeptical, but after browsing through this thread and looking at a similar thread for the Sony one, this one just seems better.

I guess what I'm wondering is, why is the Sony one more expensive...is it just name? They have the same video processor, yet the Sony one can't display the OSD w/picture via HDMI(so I've read), which seems really useless for a receiver with this function. Is the sound quality much different?

The thing that is selling me on the Onkyo right now is the ability to calibrate the video per input via the receiver. This is big for me since I like my sources to be calibrated differently and if I'm going only one cable into the tv, then my calibration options are limited to picture modes instead of video inputs. How good that calibration is, I have no idea, but at least it's something.

Thanks for any input and a great thread guys! Lots of good info in here.
post #819 of 5484 Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well one reason the Sony is probably more expensive is. Any Sony product that is a "ES" model, like the one you mentioned, also has a 5 year warranty.
post #820 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

I've got a question on bi-amping with this receiver...I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to getting into the "nitty/gritty" of home theater so perhaps someone could enlighten me on this.

I set the system to BiAMP in the menu setup and re-ran Audyssey to reconfigure the system.

For some reason the fronts I have now sound really flat (and honestly like crap). Do you need anything more to BiAMP? I removed the metal jumpers and the speakers are Klipsch RB-61. I kept going back and forth from stereo (both of those) and then mono (just pumping the Klipsch RC-52) and before I did this all three sounded great and identical (matched) but now you can tell where the Bi-amped speakers are really sounding like crap. Is there something in between that needs to be done to get it right or should I just go back to one set of wires and replace the jumper cable. Thanks gurus!!! It basically seems like it's missing a portion of the frequency spectrum.

Its a well known and very BIG BUG in the Firmware....

Onkyo is working on it. They HOPE it could be fixed with a new Firmware.....

Try analog Input instead digital Input some DSP Programs then sounds OK !
post #821 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1971 View Post

Its a well known and very BIG BUG in the Firmware....

Onkyo is working on it. They HOPE it could be fixed with a new Firmware.....

Try analog Input instead digital Input some DSP Programs then sounds OK !

Care to elaborate? I googled around and found nothing. What's the issue? Did I hook something up wrong? Etc? Thanks!

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #822 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 03:52 PM

I have another question about this receiver, though it applies to all I suppose.

Is pass through mode on hdmi, meaning that the source is passed through the receiver to the tv/monitor cleanly with no processing, upscaling, or anything else. In other words, works like a hub. Say your tv has 2 hdmi inputs and your receiver has 6, you now virtually have 7(6 on the AVR and 1 open on the tv) clean inputs to your tv?

Also, is it better to pass through 1080p as opposed to processing it? So, if your x360 is in 1080p mode, just pass it through? I assume this can be set per input?
post #823 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzies View Post

I have another question about this receiver, though it applies to all I suppose.

Is pass through mode on hdmi, meaning that the source is passed through the receiver to the tv/monitor cleanly with no processing, upscaling, or anything else. In other words, works like a hub. Say your tv has 2 hdmi inputs and your receiver has 6, you now virtually have 7(6 on the AVR and 1 open on the tv) clean inputs to your tv?

Also, is it better to pass through 1080p as opposed to processing it? So, if your x360 is in 1080p mode, just pass it through? I assume this can be set per input?

It has an option for "through" meaning whatever is put in is what's spit out (exact same resolution as source 480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p) but some people say it still alters the signal. Personally everything looks the same to me!

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #824 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I like the way the Sony looks better, but this one seems to be more and more like the one I "should" get. Too bad it doesn't have wi-fi...or does it? Do any receivers have wi-fi?
post #825 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 PM

hello to usa from greece..i order the onkyo 807 from germany with power by.730 euros.

I wait with bated breath to come it,to tested with my lovely martin logan aerius in a dedicated room
post #826 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

yes both DSX and PLIIz heights but at the expense of back surrounds....

with a 2 chanell power amplifier from pre-out back syround can i have 9.1 chanels with prologic iiz ors dsx?
post #827 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Darn. Just as I was beginning to be sold on this...I ran into a snag. My tv stand's clearance for the receiver is too short. About 7.5 inches, and this thing is almost 8. Not sure if this makes my decision easier or more difficult, as I'd have to put this thing somewhere else. I sense a plot by Sony. I really like the features of this one.
post #828 of 5484 Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmaan1 View Post

hit setup, then 5, listening mode preset, select the input(s) you are using, set every audio source type to a listening mode that has the *same* number of speakers. I use a form of Audyssey DSX with 7.1 speakers for everything. Power cycle.

No more clicking for me. You can override manually when desired.
post #829 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 AM

Liked: 13
Fabia wrc - With the 807 you can only have 7 channels powered at one time. If you decide to run front wides or heights you loose the rear surrounds.
post #830 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I've been reading this thread for too long and seem to have lost my way..lol.

Just wondering what the consensus is then:
- running 7.1 speaker setup
- running 5.1 speaker setup + front heights
- running 5.1 speaker setup + front wides
- 5.1 only if that's all the speakers you have

The reason I'm asking is I currently have 5.1 setup. Therefore when I get the 807, should the next step be to run out ASAP and pick up 2 more speakers and set them up as one of the configurations above because one of the these speaker configs is AWESOME (which one and why)?

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #831 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer View Post

The reason I'm asking is I currently have 5.1 setup. Therefore when I get the 807, should the next step be to run out ASAP and pick up 2 more speakers and set them up as one of the configurations above because one of the these speaker configs is AWESOME (which one and why)?

go wide
post #832 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmfer View Post

go with wides, but make sure you get speakers as close to you existing L,R speakers and follow setup instructions as placement is important
post #833 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Ok, finally got the NR807 yesterday delivered. I realized that , I need to redo some panels so that the receiver can easily sit inside TV stand. IT can hold,but just needs some adjustment. Now coming to some simple but lame qn. I'm going to run 2.1 (To start with) and need some good cables to run the speakers. Any specific suggestions for the same?

thanks!
post #834 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM

i know that 807 he has only 7.1 chanels but i ask if conect a power amplifier to preout can i have 9.1?

example 807 with 7.1 (with height chanels)an conect a rotel RB1070 to pre out suround back.with this setup can i have 9.1 chanels?
post #835 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiawrc View Post

i know that 807 he has only 7.1 chanels but i ask if conect a power amplifier to preout can i have 9.1?

example 807 with 7.1 (with height chanels)an conect a rotel RB1070 to pre out suround back.with this setup can i have 9.1 chanels?

don't think so, Joerod tried it when he was doing a review, I believe that the rears got the same info as the heights, his conclusion was that even with external amps the AVR produces only 7 channels of unique content....
post #836 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM

ok no problem.i think is better to have 5,1 with front high chanels from 5.1 with syround backs.

i am waiting to try this difrente setups.
post #837 of 5484 Old 10-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbirr View Post

hit setup, then 5, listening mode preset, select the input(s) you are using, set every audio source type to a listening mode that has the *same* number of speakers. I use a form of Audyssey DSX with 7.1 speakers for everything. Power cycle.

This was very helpful info!
What is the best mode to select for all 9 options?
Here are my guesses:
Analog PCM > PLII Movie
Dolby Digital > Dolby Digital
DTS > DTS
DF 2.0 CH > PLII Movie
DF Mono > All CH Stereo
Multichannel PCM > THX Cinema
Dolby TrueHD > True HD
DTS Master Audio > Master Audio
DSD > DSD

Along the same lines of eliminating the clicking, I get a half second 'blip' of audio at about the same time the 'click' would be when I change Channels.
Let me see if I can paint a picture of what I mean:

Watching TV:
  • sound is on
  • Press Channel Up
  • screen goes blank and silence 2-3 seconds
  • Static or 1/2 second of audio
  • Picture shows new channel, silence for another second
  • Sound and Picture are fine

Can this be fixed?

btw, my setup is Motorola DCH 3416 (HDMI cable) Onkyo RC-HT180 {5.1} (HDMI cable) Sony KDL-52S5100
post #838 of 5484 Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 AM

Does the OSD work (e.g. volume level) work when using a 1080p HDMI input and output?
post #839 of 5484 Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 AM

Hi all,

I have just read review of 807 and they said that when you send 1080p untouched through Faroudja using HDMI it causes a glitch every 42 seconds.

This is due to framerate conversion from 23.976 fps to 24 Hz caused by Faroudja Cinema.

Is this true?

thanks

Tuomas
post #840 of 5484 Old 10-30-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbirr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

This was very helpful info!
What is the best mode to select for all 9 options?
Here are my guesses:
Analog PCM > PLII Movie
Dolby Digital > Dolby Digital
DTS > DTS
DF 2.0 CH > PLII Movie
DF Mono > All CH Stereo
Multichannel PCM > THX Cinema
Dolby TrueHD > True HD
DTS Master Audio > Master Audio
DSD > DSD

Along the same lines of eliminating the clicking, I get a half second 'blip' of audio at about the same time the 'click' would be when I change Channels.
Let me see if I can paint a picture of what I mean:

Watching TV:
  • sound is on
  • Press Channel Up
  • screen goes blank and silence 2-3 seconds
  • Static or 1/2 second of audio
  • Picture shows new channel, silence for another second
  • Sound and Picture are fine

Can this be fixed?

btw, my setup is Motorola DCH 3416 (HDMI cable) Onkyo RC-HT180 {5.1} (HDMI cable) Sony KDL-52S5100

I think it comes down to personal preference. Read this

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

I would use audyssey for everything if you have front wides or highs even for Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. Only exception is DF Mono > All CH Stereo.

I do not get the audio blip when changing channels using a D* DVR so my guess is that your cable box is the culprit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page