1Likes

post #991 of 5486 Old 11-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh6877 View Post

Please recommend good speaker connectors and speaker wire for 807. I am expecting my 807 very soon. I have been checking monoprice, amazon etc but not quite sure which ones are good (and recommended by you gurus)

Thanks in advance,
Suresh

monoprice seems to be the favorite around here. Blue Jeans also but I found that site way too confusing and more expensive on what I did find.

I got monoprice's 12awg at a good price, and the banana plugs are half the price of a local store that specializes in this stuff. (I'm sure everything is but those were the prices I compared) And if you live in SoCal and parts of Nevada, and maybe other close places, you can get overnight delivery for under $5 (cheaper than standard for some reason).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5486 Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

The settings are are independent of one another. So you can set passthrough then set your zoom, or vice versa and control different things. One is resolution and the other is aspect ratio. I know this board uses the term "upscaling" a lot for the entire process but that's not entirely accurate and may be leading to some confusion. Upconvert means the resolution is changing and scaling (zoom) is a term for size, which entails aspect ratio and squeezed/flat.

Passthrough: pg. 48. Receiver > setup > 1. Input/Output > 1. Monitor Out > Resolution

You can set it to passthrough or a bunch of other choices. I switched my cable input to 1080 resolution and my picture is still the correct aspect ratio on my screen, same as it was in passthrough. Of course I don't have mixed aspect ratios coming in. But it would be interesting to see what happens, might fix your problem, I would think it would unless it is the zoom setting.

From the manual illustration:
Normal is fine, it just pillars the image without changing it, perhaps only when necessary in which case this would hopefully fix your problem and not introduce a problem on your HD programs.
Full is going to stretch your image so it needs to be used only on a squeezed image which most likely you're not going to be feeding in.
Zoom stretches the image vertically which is not good, again, you'd need to have a squeezed image coming in.
Wide Zoom could work, I think to make 720 into 1080 but not sure about that, but the aspect ratio doesn't change, looks like both are 16:9.

If passthrough doesn't do it I have a feeling if you set zoom to normal it will work correctly. You gotta try playing around with settings on a beast like this. And remember, tech support doesn't always know the most so they might not have been able to be helpful in your particular case. But this may be a simple setting and if you don't try it it's not really fair to blame the receiver. Yet.

So what you need to do is stop the SD from stretching, right? When an HD program is on it is okay with your current settings? Or is that messed up too?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm aware that they're independent of one another (resolution & zoom) I was simply making a differentiation in that "resolution" can be set to 100 percent passthrough, whereas there is no such setting for "zoom". That is all. If there was a complete passthrough selection with "zoom", then I doubt I would be having this problem. The best I can do is "auto". That was basically the point to my previous post. Why could they not simply have a passthrough selection for "zoom"?

Better yet, why do they have this selection on the receiver at all. This kind of is presumptuous that the signal that is being received by the 807 is not going to be sent in its proper aspect ratio by the device sending it. Perhaps you or someone else could enlighten me on this.

I did some checking, and the "Normal" setting squashes 1080 signals and makes 480 look fine. My dvr/cable box does not have any video adjustment settings that relate at all to aspect ratio (most of the settings are audio)

Again, the lack of a passthrough selection for the "zoom" is a design flaw, and should have been corrected at the design phase. They could still do it now.

I forgot to mention that I also tried calling Onkyo customer service today. Some guy who really had a stuttering problem put me on hold when I simply asked for the Customer Relations Department. He got back on the phone with me 3 mins later & told me that that department was closed after 5 PM EST. It was 5:03 when I called. (by the way, I went through a brief stuttering problem when I was in my teens, so there was no intention to make fun of the problem, but I think it is troubling when they're hiring people with that problem to answer the phone)

Edit: I forgot to add that, yes, this relates to the receiver automatically telling my television to adjust itself to its "smart stretch" mode with 480 4:3 content.
post #993 of 5486 Old 11-13-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Sorry for the confusion. I'm aware that they're independent of one another (resolution & zoom) I was simply making a differentiation in that "resolution" can be set to 100 percent passthrough, whereas there is no such setting for "zoom". That is all. If there was a complete passthrough selection with "zoom", then I doubt I would be having this problem. The best I can do is "auto". That was basically the point to my previous post. Why could they not simply have a passthrough selection for "zoom"?

Better yet, why do they have this selection on the receiver at all. This kind of is presumptuous that the signal that is being received by the 807 is not going to be sent in its proper aspect ratio by the device sending it. Perhaps you or someone else could enlighten me on this.

I did some checking, and the "Normal" setting squashes 1080 signals and makes 480 look fine. My dvr/cable box does not have any video adjustment settings that relate at all to aspect ratio (most of the settings are audio)

Again, the lack of a passthrough selection for the "zoom" is a design flaw, and should have been corrected at the design phase. They could still do it now.

I forgot to mention that I also tried calling Onkyo customer service today. Some guy who really had a stuttering problem put me on hold when I simply asked for the Customer Relations Department. He got back on the phone with me 3 mins later & told me that that department was closed after 5 PM EST. It was 5:03 when I called. (by the way, I went through a brief stuttering problem when I was in my teens, so there was no intention to make fun of the problem, but I think it is troubling when they're hiring people with that problem to answer the phone)

Edit: I forgot to add that, yes, this relates to the receiver automatically telling my television to adjust itself to its "smart stretch" mode with 480 4:3 content.

I see what you mean now about the passthrough for zoom.

Can't remember if you've tried having the resolution on passthrough or not.

Yeah, for some reason the 807 isn't handling things like your TV is. What cable company and what brand cable box and dvr? Now I'm worried about this. I think I'm swapping out my cable box early next week, so I'll either have the same problem or maybe we can narrow it down to other components if I don't have the problem. I'm with Time-Warner cable and will be getting a Motorola box I believe.
post #994 of 5486 Old 11-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh6877 View Post

Please recommend good speaker connectors and speaker wire for 807. I am expecting my 807 very soon. I have been checking monoprice, amazon etc but not quite sure which ones are good (and recommended by you gurus)

Thanks in advance,
Suresh

get it from monoprice, closed type banana plugs and the speaker wire they carry are top notch.
post #995 of 5486 Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

I see what you mean now about the passthrough for zoom.

Can't remember if you've tried having the resolution on passthrough or not.

Yeah, for some reason the 807 isn't handling things like your TV is. What cable company and what brand cable box and dvr? Now I'm worried about this. I think I'm swapping out my cable box early next week, so I'll either have the same problem or maybe we can narrow it down to other components if I don't have the problem. I'm with Time-Warner cable and will be getting a Motorola box I believe.

I have the resolution on passthrough. I wish I could do the same with zoom...aaaanyway.

I have the Motorola DCH 3416 and my cable provider is Comcast. There is an HDMI cable running from the back of the Motorola box to the 807.
post #996 of 5486 Old 11-14-2009, 10:04 AM

This is not a solution, but it might be of interest.

I am at the second 807 with exactly the same problem. I am about to send it back.

I sent Onkyo a video clip showing how the image
disappears from the screen. Initially, they said it was a Panasonic-Onkyo incompatibility issues. I got the firmware update from Panasonic but that did not solve the problem. Last time I heard from them was about 10 days ago. They said the video was sent to Japan and I will be contacted when they get any response. I did not get any response to an email I sent a few days later asking for a time frame for the resolution of the problem.

At the time I first contacted them (with my first 807, at the end of September) they said I was the only one complaining about this issue. Perhaps you can call them too, that way they might become more motivated to address the problem.
Obviously, this is affecting the whole model line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

Mellman, did you ever find a resolution to this? My 807 is having exactly the same issue.

It only seems to affect the Net input. When playing Pandora, after a few seconds of playback a line of "video noise" starts about 10% of the way down the screen and starts to fill with brightly colored, jumbled pixels until it reaches the top of the screen. Within about 15 seconds, it gets to the top and the screen goes blank. It comes back normally only if I change inputs then switch back to Net. Otherwise, no OSD.

I get the same behavior when playing music from my NAS using the Net input, too.

It did it for the first time last night, but a power cycle (actually disconnecting the power cable) fixed it. However, tonight it's doing it again. The receiver was working just fine for 2 weeks since installing it, including after a firmware update.

I've cofirmed that no firmware updates are available.

post #997 of 5486 Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 PM

This morning I had no sound at all from the 807. Video was OK from Cbl, from PC, etc. Very scary for unit 1 month old. then I did a cold reboot (unplug) and after turning ON, all seems to be OK.

this is very uncomfortable situation. will it happen again, what could be the reason? Ahh.... and the clicking when the commercials change is still there.

One more thing about the search on avs forum:
How do you search let's say for "NO SOUND" it is giving me all sound or No when I am looking only for the two together?

thanks
post #998 of 5486 Old 11-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just missed the coupon code dammit!
post #999 of 5486 Old 11-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCat View Post

by the way .... when you get your new speakers .... can you let us know how you like them?

thanks ....

The speakers are installed. Audyssey setup was no problem and overall sound is good. I think (note I am not an expert) these speakers are best price solution for 7.1 setup providing you have 2 good fronts and sub.

I am good now. and down the road I may grow up into something better (there will be always "something" better)

My concern is now the 807, I am questioning my purchase or maybe my unit?
Somehow I lost trust in it.

take care.
post #1000 of 5486 Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 PM
SVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound402 View Post

This morning I had no sound at all from the 807. Video was OK from Cbl, from PC, etc. Very scary for unit 1 month old. then I did a cold reboot (unplug) and after turning ON, all seems to be OK.

this is very uncomfortable situation. will it happen again, what could be the reason? Ahh.... and the clicking when the commercials change is still there.

How do you search let's say for "NO SOUND" it is giving me all sound or No when I am looking only for the two together?

thanks

I do have this symptom on my unit quite a bit, I have to also unplug the unit.
post #1001 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsg41 View Post

At the time I first contacted them (with my first 807, at the end of September) they said I was the only one complaining about this issue. Perhaps you can call them too, that way they might become more motivated to address the problem.

I called Onkyo customer support about a legitimate problem affecting the 807, and they said that the problem was simply not worth their time fixing in a firmware update.

Based on that and what you have stated above is going to greatly affect my next receiver purchase. I never thought in a million years that respected audio manufacturer would have such disregard for real issues that their customers are having with their products, particularly from a product that is very clearly above entry-level.
post #1002 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

The speakers are installed. Audyssey setup was no problem and overall sound is good. I think (note I am not an expert) these speakers are best price solution for 7.1 setup providing you have 2 good fronts and sub.

I am good now. and down the road I may grow up into something better (there will be always "something" better)

take care.

Hi ..... I just had a thought .... ummmmmmm ... kinda sounds like you are not totally satisfied with the 807? Yes .... well ..... your speakers are brand new right-out-of-the-box ..... and thus I would bet there is a break-in period with the speakers. So perhaps if the sound is too bright or lacking depth, things might warm up after proper brake-in time?

also .... are you running good cables? The best sounding cables I have heard so far are from Morrow Audio ..... there is a break-in time on those also, although they can break them in for you for a modest fee .... if you have any questions you can call Mike Morrow directly and ask him about this .... he has been easy to reach so far by me and has been very helpful.

Also remember you can still tweak your speakers with the equalization settings within the 807 to warm things up. And perhaps there is a break-in time period with the 807 as well .....
post #1003 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

take care.

Monoprice cables and wire will work just fine. Better speakers make a difference, cables not that much so.

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
post #1004 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Just don't fall into Monster cable trap.
post #1005 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM

I just wanted to confirm, what was mentioned before in this thread, that there is something seriously wrong with Bi-Amp functionality of the 807 with the latest firmware. I ran a 2.0 configuration in bi-amp mode (audyssey calibrated) for 3 weeks and everything was fine, the music and movie scenes were alive and the sound was rich. As soon as I connected the full 5.1 (audyssey calibrated) the sound from the front speakers became dull and lacked detail. In All Ch Stereo mode there was a clear difference with the front speakers lacking some detail in the mid/high range compared to surround speakers. As soon as I wired and reconfigured it back to non bi-amp everything returned to normal. The speakers sounded great and all the detail that should have been there magically came back.
post #1006 of 5486 Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post

Just don't fall into Monster cable trap.

And from what I see of Morrow Audio cables, after someone above gushed over them.. Don't fall into Morrow Audio's traps either!
There is more pure BS there, than is with with Monster.
post #1007 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mippaloo View Post

Hello.
I got my 807 this weekend. It sounds terrific but i have discovered an annoying thing. When i switch from one input to another input and have audyssey enabled i get one very low "pop" sound in the center speaker. Just one "pop" and then its quiet. I get the same "pop" if i switch for example from "PLII" with audyssey enabled to "Pure audio" and then back to "PLII". The "pop" is very low and you cant hear it unless you listen very carefully for it. If audyssey is disabled its quiet. Does anyone have the same pop in the center speaker on your receivers or is there something wrong with mine?

Best regards:
Martin

Hi everyone,

I have just got the ONKYO NR807 over the weeeknd and had it installed. However when I change the inputs or menus off my pioneer bluray player there is a popping sound ( it does not happen when I use the old denon dvd player!). I have used the HDMI input for the amp and the guy who fitted it says it is weird and never seen it before. Has he/I overlooked something really stupid or is this something to worry about? it is annoying and not sure if the amp will suffer as it seems to power down and then up when it happens.

cheers..
post #1008 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
December's Home Theater has a test of the 807. They reported that driving 5 channels the amps produced 105.5 watts/channel at 0.1% distortion. But driving 7 channels the amps produced ONLY 29.9 watts/channel.

The 807 failed miserably cross-converting component inputs to HDMI output. This was true for HD and SD. They suggest that if you're going to use component inputs then use it with a component output and avoid the cross conversion.

They judged the "Height" effects of both DSX and Dolby "amorphous" which I take it to mean undifferentiated, non-specific, diffuse, etc.
post #1009 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

thanks

This issue has been discussed on various new 0007 threads. both the clicking drops and no sound issues. I have had this problem and seems to be the cable box is one major issue and transition from sub to main bd to tv. reset box and issues seem none to little. for now.

post #1010 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsg41 View Post

This is not a solution, but it might be of interest.

I am at the second 807 with exactly the same problem. I am about to send it back.

I sent Onkyo a video clip showing how the image
disappears from the screen. Initially, they said it was a Panasonic-Onkyo incompatibility issues. I got the firmware update from Panasonic but that did not solve the problem. Last time I heard from them was about 10 days ago. They said the video was sent to Japan and I will be contacted when they get any response. I did not get any response to an email I sent a few days later asking for a time frame for the resolution of the problem.

Mine did this for two consecutive days, but never since.

I didn't change any settings. No firmware update. Nothing. It just decided to play nice again, I guess.
post #1011 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

get it from monoprice, closed type banana plugs and the speaker wire they carry are top notch.

Thanks Onk Yo and ufokillerz for the recommendation. I will look it up in monoproce and order...

My equipment:

Panasonic PT-AE7000u
DIY 2.35:1 Screen 150" (using Wilsonart Designer White laminate)
Onkyo TX-NR807
PSA XS30 - Dual subs
JBL Venue Series Stadium Front towers
JBL ES25 Center
JBL N26 Surrounds
Sony BDP-S560
Roku 2 XS
post #1012 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post

December's Home Theater has a test of the 807. They reported that driving 5 channels the amps produced 105.5 watts/channel at 0.1% distortion. But driving 7 channels the amps produced ONLY 29.9 watts/channel.

The 807 failed miserably cross-converting component inputs to HDMI output. This was true for HD and SD. They suggest that if you're going to use component inputs then use it with a component output and avoid the cross conversion.

They judged the "Height" effects of both DSX and Dolby "amorphous" which I take it to mean undifferentiated, non-specific, diffuse, etc.

However they also went on to say that THX recommends against using any AVR for cross-conversion. They suggest you stick with HDMI>HDMI or Compnent>Component.
post #1013 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:

that HAS to be a misprint for the 7-channels driven figure. There's no way it produces 100+ W/ch with 5ch driven and then drops to 30w/ch with 7ch driven.

if you compare it to other bench tests done at HTMag, you will see that this is highly inconsistent and 7ch-driven performance is typically pretty close (80-90%) to 5ch-driven performance.

for example, compare to the Denon 4310CI:
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index4.html

in the 2-ch driven test, the Onkyo had significantly more power with 4-ohm loads (which you would expect from the much heavier, THX-certified Onk). There is no way it then falls flat on its face jumping from 5ch to 7ch unless there is either a misprint in the article or a serious defect in that Onkyo.

also compare to the previous 806 model:
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index3.html

that kind of drop-off from 5ch to 7ch just doesn't make any sense.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #1014 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM

I have owned a Denon AVR-5800 since 2001 and have enjoyed it every watt it produces. Unfortunately it only handles component video and does not display its menu via the component output! With a new Samsung UN55B8000, PS3, and HD DirecTV and HD S3 TiVo (all with HDMI outputs) the time has come to think about upgrading to a receiver that can handle all the new HDMI connectors (and new sound formats only available via HDMI)!

My finances are not what they were in 2001, so the idea of buying a 5308CI is out of the picture! Since I really liked the quality and power of the 170watts/channel on the 5800, my thoughts were to purchase a good midprice receiver with lots of HDMI inputs, with pre-outs and use it as a a pre-amp.

After some looking, I decided to purchase an Onkyo TX-NR807. Since it seems to have decent power (135watts/ch) I have replaced the Denon with the Onkyo and did some serious listening during the weekend.

I use NHT 1.1 speakers for the front R/L channels, 1.1c for center and superzeros for the 2 surrounds. The 807 behaved very nicely particularly on some Chesky test CDs. I noticed that when selecting PureDirect, almost no bass was directed to my NHT 12" sub, and I really enjoyed the sound from the stereo setting. For music, the 807 behaved very well.

Last night we rented The Taking of Pelham 123 from DirecTV (1080p) and the soundrack played nicely, but I have to admit, though the 807 did a good job, I found myself missing the robustness that the Denon 5800 has.

So I am thinking about implementing my original idea of using the 807 as a pre-amp and using the Denon just as the AMP!

Has anyone used the 807 as a pre-amp? I could use some hints at how to properly setup the Denon to work just as an amp. For example, since I am not using the pre-amp section of the Denon, do I have to set the volume level to 0db? I have never used separates so I am not certain what are the correct settings to use!

Comments are welcomed!
post #1015 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

and transition from sub to main bd to tv. reset box and issues seem none to little. for now.

Sorry, but I really don't understand the above what you mean.. can you elaborate please?

Thank yo
post #1016 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:

December's Home Theater has a test of the 807. They reported that driving 5 channels the amps produced 105.5 watts/channel at 0.1% distortion. But driving 7 channels the amps produced ONLY 29.9 watts/channel.[/url]

in the 2-ch driven test, the Onkyo had significantly more power with 4-ohm loads (which you would expect from the much heavier, THX-certified Onk). There is no way it then falls flat on its face jumping from 5ch to 7ch unless there is either a misprint in the article or a serious defect in that Onkyo.

also compare to the previous 806 model:
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index3.html

that kind of drop-off from 5ch to 7ch just doesn't make any sense.

Retailers advertise the Onkyo TX-807 as a "135 watts x 7 channels" receiver, however the Onkyo website says that it is "135 watts, 2 channels driven."

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-N...s=Receiver&p=s

Does this mean it can only put out 135 watts when just two channels are being powered? How many watts RMS is this receiver really putting out in the normal 7.1 mode? Could it be just 29 watts? That is PATHETIC if it is accurate! How can there be so many glowing reviews of this amp with such low numbers? I can't make sense of it all.

The specs on this receiver are great for the price, but I'm not sure if the power is quite "as advertised." I have a home theater where the front three speakers can handle up to 200 watts, and the back four can handle up to 150 watts, will this Onkyo 807 have enough power?
post #1017 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Okay, I think I've figured it out, here is an excerpt from the article:

Quote:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 105.5 watts
1% distortion at 122.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 29.9 watts
1% distortion at 33.0 watts

Analog frequency response in Pure Audio mode:
-0.06 dB at 10 Hz
-0.02 dB at 20 Hz
+0.09 dB at 20 kHz
-2.40 dB at 50 kHz

Analog frequency response with stereo signal processing:
-0.28 dB at 10 Hz
-0.10 dB at 20 Hz
-0.23 dB at 20 kHz
-70.61 dB at 50 kHz

This graph shows that the TX-NR807's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 143.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 168.7 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 240.2 watts and 1 percent distortion at 267.9 watts.

THD+N from the CD input to the speaker output was less than 0.010 percent at 1 kilohertz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was -94.26 decibels left to right and -90.19 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with 2.83 volts driving an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with A weighting was -101.81 dBrA.

From the Dolby Digital input to the loudspeaker output, the left channel measures -0.02 dB at 20 hertz and -0.08 dB at 20 kHz. The center channel measures -0.02 dB at 20 Hz and -0.11 dB at 20 kHz, and the left surround channel measures -0.02 dB at 20 Hz and -0.08 dB at 20 kHz. From the Dolby Digital input to the line-level output, the LFE channel is +0.01 dB at 20 Hz when referenced to the level at 40 Hz and reaches the upper 3-dB down point at 96 Hz and the upper 6-dB down point at 116 Hz.MJP

So the 29.9 watts number is just measuring the distortion at that level. How are these numbers, are they decent or are they weak?
post #1018 of 5486 Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingerbrown View Post

Could it be just 29 watts? That is PATHETIC if it is accurate! How can there be so many glowing reviews of this amp with such low numbers? I can't make sense of it all.

The specs on this receiver are great for the price, but I'm not sure if the power is quite "as advertised." I have a home theater where the front three speakers can handle up to 200 watts, and the back four can handle up to 150 watts, will this Onkyo 807 have enough power?

i agree 29 watts cannot be correct, i went from a denon3808ci to the 807 and i didn't notice any degradation in sound, i ran 5 tower speaker across the front all with ESS Heil full AMT drivers which love power and it rocked. seriously don't think you will have any problems powering your speakers, unless of course you had 250 to 500+ watts per channel before then you most likely would notice a difference
post #1019 of 5486 Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

i agree 29 watts cannot be correct, i went from a denon3808ci to the 807 and i didn't notice any degradation in sound, i ran 5 tower speaker across the front all with ESS Heil full AMT drivers which love power and it rocked. seriously don't think you will have any problems powering your speakers, unless of course you had 250 to 500+ watts per channel before then you most likely would notice a difference

Would the addition of a powered sub, hooked up to the 807 and then setup with an THX 80 hz crossover point, change those numbers?
post #1020 of 5486 Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Here are some numbers from Home Theater's test of the Denon AVR-4310CI A/V Receiver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Theater Mag View Post

Denon AVR-4310CI A/V Receiver:

Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.8 watts
1% distortion at 131.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 104.6 watts
1% distortion at 116.6 watts

The Onkyo poops out with 1% distortion at 33 watts. The Denon cruises to 116.6 watts in 7 channel 8-ohm mode. I've given a hard look at this Onkyo 807, but I think it will be underpowered for my theater. I'm going to start comparing the higher end Onkyos to other brands.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page