Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Thanks for the tip. I found this on p.114 of the manual:

--------
■ Control
This setting enables or disables control over the network.
Enable: Control over the network enabled.
Disable: Control over the network disabled.
Note:
When set to Enable, power consumption on standby
mode slightly increases.
■ Port Number
This is the network port used for control over the network.
--------

I'll try it this weekend and see where it gets me. Seems odd that it would help with the FLAC format given the description above. I have no clue what port number I need to input! My WHS by HP runs a version of Twonky if that factors in at all.

BK

If your mp3s were playing fine it may not have been the same problem. The port that is already in the 807 is fine, I think I opened it up on my router. Also, I opened these other ports that my xbox told me to for media sharing.

TCP: 2869, 10243
UDP: 1900, 10280-10284

Might help. I'm also using Twonky currently btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5482 Old 11-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

If your mp3s were playing fine it may not have been the same problem. The port that is already in the 807 is fine, I think I opened it up on my router. Also, I opened these other ports that my xbox told me to for media sharing.

TCP: 2869, 10243
UDP: 1900, 10280-10284

Might help. I'm also using Twonky currently btw.

No joy with Control enabled. I'll do some more messing around and report back if I get it working. Still appreciate any pointers. Just for kicks I fired up iTunes form my PC and it played the FLAC files from my WHS server no problem....I thought I read somewhere that iTunes didn't decoded FLAC...

BK
post #1083 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 AM

Hi.

Having same problem here; with flacfiles. Mp3's work fine, but no cigar with the flacs. Did You work it out?
post #1084 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 AM

Not sure how to phrase this question exactly, so search has done me no good.

Basically, sometimes when I am watching an HD channel, in particular ESPN, there might be a SD commercial that pops up. At this time, my receiver makes a click sound (I am assuming to adjust to the signal), and then when the channel goes back to having an HD signal, the receiver "clicks" back.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Is this some sort of upconversion happening (I really dont need that as everything I watch is HD whether its TV or my PS3.

Thanks ahead of time!
post #1085 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Question- Can you independantly assign 4ohm or 8ohm with the 807 ? My front left/right are 4ohm PSB Stratus Silveri's, my center is an 8ohm C6i, my surround's are 8ohm Image 10S's. Everythings 8ohm but front L/R..

- Chip
post #1086 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 AM

Chip E: No, so the safe setting is 4 ohm, but you get most power at the 6 ohm setting. So the question is: Will you risk it? I have mine set at 6 ohm, eventhough I have some 4 ohm B&W front speakers. It sounds a lot better than the 4 ohm setting, but the AVR is getting pretty hot - I just hope it doesn't blow up...
post #1087 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I had an Integra DTR6.1 hooked up to some B&W 303's about 7 years ago.. Just connecting the fronts to the Integra fried the main's immediately.. eeeek.

- Chip
post #1088 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 AM

Thanks joerod for the review and pics!!!

I finally pulled the plugged on some new stuff!! I am replacing a 15y.o. 909pro with a nr807. replacing a 57" Sony projection screen tv with a 52" sammy lcd/240hz 1080p. replacing 15y.o. cerwin vega at-15's with Klipsch rf-52 and adding a velodyne dls-4000r 12" sub. added a LG blu-rya bd390.
I have had zero trouble with my first onkyo so I went with the same brand again.
right now I am running bose satellites for rear surround, center, and front enhanced with my at-15 as primary. I am a little worried about replacing 2 15's with one 12" sub... but everyone says I will be happy. I cant wait to see everything in 1080p and hear in digital surround.
I plan on replacing the center, front high/enhanced and rears if I am not happy with the sound. that will be down the road a bit, this is all i can spend at the moment.
my hardest chose is finding a tv stand that will go with our existing wrap-over entertainment center (golden oak in color). its about5 y.o. and we paid about 1100 for it. dont want to sell it. finding a match 5years later will never happen. I think I will have to go with black or glass.

looking for any input on what this system should sound like when I get it hooked up. ordered from crutchfield, some of it is coming fright and some ups. sooo.... ups will be here before thanksgiving and the big stuff wont be here till dec 3 cant wait to check out the new onkyo!!! next thing.. do I try and sell the old stuff or use it as a 2 channel in the rec-room.

newtekbuzz
post #1089 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy369 View Post

Not sure how to phrase this question exactly, so search has done me no good.

Basically, sometimes when I am watching an HD channel, in particular ESPN, there might be a SD commercial that pops up. At this time, my receiver makes a click sound (I am assuming to adjust to the signal), and then when the channel goes back to having an HD signal, the receiver "clicks" back.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Is this some sort of upconversion happening (I really dont need that as everything I watch is HD whether its TV or my PS3.

Thanks ahead of time!

search on "clicking" would have done the job....

post #882 has the solution and a testimonial that it works....
post #1090 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbirr View Post

search on "clicking" would have done the job....

post #882 has the solution and a testimonial that it works....

Ah good call. I focused my search on what I thought was causing the issue rather than the actual issue. This is why daddy shouldnt do online research in the early AM.

So I would assume anyone that fixed the clicking issue with this set everything to "IIx Movie" except the DF Mono (which appears people recommend All Ch Stereo)?
post #1091 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Anyone using the following STB successfully with the 807?

Motorola DCX3200?

I just got this HD box and before I updated the 807 firmware it worked with it, albeit with 20 second handshakes and sometimes I had to turn the 807 off and on again so it would read the signal. Now after I updated the firmware a day or so ago I get nothing. The 807 doesn't get a signal from the STB. When I picked it up the guy said it's a new model they're trying out. I like it because it's half the size of my old one but I fear I will have to swap it out for a different HD model. It's got LAN and firewire ports on the back too.

EDIT: The 807 can't seem to read the signal, there is a signal being sent to it.
post #1092 of 5482 Old 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHN2 View Post

Hi.

Having same problem here; with flacfiles. Mp3's work fine, but no cigar with the flacs. Did You work it out?

Not yet! The next thing I want to try is to rip the same disc with a different application and try to play the flac through the 807 with/without metadata.

BK

edit: Tried dBpoweramp to freshly rip FLACs with two different versions of the FLAC codec. dBpoweramp does a post-encode check and also compares the file CRC to an online database - everything checked out. The 807 still won't play the files. The FLACs are fine and the filename structure is fine, so the issue must be elsewhere...
post #1093 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone running a Fios HD non-DVR through the 807 succesfully ? In considering this receiver, i have - Panny 58V10, Fios HD, Sony BDP-S350.

- Chip
post #1094 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 AM

I have had my 807 for about two weeks now. Everything is going great. This unit replaced a Denon 3508.

One thing I have not been able to figure out is if I can set a preset for a Sirius internet station? This is a must for the WAF factor.

Thanks,
Dave
post #1095 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_856er View Post

Not yet! The next thing I want to try is to rip the same disc with a different application and try to play the flac through the 807 with/without metadata.

BK

edit: Tried dBpoweramp to freshly rip FLACs with two different versions of the FLAC codec. dBpoweramp does a post-encode check and also compares the file CRC to an online database - everything checked out. The 807 still won't play the files. The FLACs are fine and the filename structure is fine, so the issue must be elsewhere...

Hm, I wish I had an answer for you guys, FLAC plays fine on mine after opening up media ports and setting network control on enable.

Have you guys opened up the media ports on your router? I posted what they were a day or two ago.
post #1096 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post

I have a SA8300HD and agree, component looks much better than HDMI, especially for upscaled 480i content. I knew something was wrong, because blu-ray looked amazing going through the 807 and anything from my SA box looked terrible. I might have to stick with component video and separate audio. Loving the 807 otherwise.

Did you hook up your audio separately for your STB? Is sync fine? I might go component video/digital audio out from my cable STB.
post #1097 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Anyone notice a big difference switching from 5.1 to 7.1 in the amp performance? I really like the feature set of this receiver, but the amp numbers concern me a bit.
post #1098 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM

I've directv - and signal which I'm upconverting using the NR807. The upconversion looks ok,except evry now and then, I've a BLACK SQUARE on the Plasma TV. (Panasonic).
It looks like ghosting, where you have a BLACK SQUARE. I feel this is related with the upconversion. When I set it to "THROUGH" - the black square on TV disappears. I'm pretty darn sure,this is not the problem with the DirecTV or the TV itself. This looks more of NR807 upconversion problem. Any help will be highly appreciated. I really need to upconvert the signal, as I do not use HDTV signal directly from DirectTV.
post #1099 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

I've got a question on bi-amping with this receiver...I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to getting into the "nitty/gritty" of home theater so perhaps someone could enlighten me on this.

I set the system to BiAMP in the menu setup and re-ran Audyssey to reconfigure the system.

For some reason the fronts I have now sound really flat (and honestly like crap). Do you need anything more to BiAMP? I removed the metal jumpers and the speakers are Klipsch RB-61. I kept going back and forth from stereo (both of those) and then mono (just pumping the Klipsch RC-52) and before I did this all three sounded great and identical (matched) but now you can tell where the Bi-amped speakers are really sounding like crap. Is there something in between that needs to be done to get it right or should I just go back to one set of wires and replace the jumper cable. Thanks gurus!!! It basically seems like it's missing a portion of the frequency spectrum.

Requoting myself...any fixes out yet for this? It's on post #816 with someone replying to me in #820 post saying no fix what's the deal? It's my only gripe with the unit.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #1100 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post

Requoting myself...any fixes out yet for this? It's on post #816 with someone replying to me in #820 post saying no fix what's the deal? It's my only gripe with the unit.

The latest firmware fixes biamping/Audyssey.
post #1101 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

The latest firmware fixes biamping/Audyssey.

awesome going to update now!

As to someone else's question would you purchase this again? Hell yes! It really woke my speakers up (Klipsch RB-61 fronts, Klipsch RC-52 front, JBL rears). My Infinity sub never sounded so freaking deep and natural with a proper adjustment using Audyssey.

My only problem is I'm temporarily in an apartment and my neighbor two floors up heard my jamming and I got a nice "knock on my door" from her...oops.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #1102 of 5482 Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM

After running the Audessey setup. As we were watching the new StarTrek BD, I noticed the audio in the center speaker was low in comparison to the front L/R speakers. I pulled out the old Radio Schack SPL meter and found the levels were not 75db across my speakers front left off by -3.5db, center by -7.0db, front right -3.0db and the surrounds were -5.0db. Adjusted all levels to 75db with the 807 built in test tones... ahhh much better!

Has anyone had any problems with their calibration?
post #1103 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

If my surrounds & center are 8ohm and my front L/R's are 4ohm, what would the effect be on my 8ohm speakers if i set the receiver to 4ohm ? Do i need to get a 2 channel amp for my mains ? I didn't want to have to do that.

- Chip
post #1104 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsg41 View Post

I also had problems only with Pandora. Let me know if this latest update resolves the problem.

Unfortunately, no. After the update I had the same problem with Pandora and my NAS. A power cycle of the receiver still solves it though.

It seems to happen randomly though. I can't figure out anything in particular that causes this "screen blanking."
post #1105 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htevolution View Post

Unfortunately, no. After the update I had the same problem with Pandora and my NAS. A power cycle of the receiver still solves it though.

It seems to happen randomly though. I can't figure out anything in particular that causes this "screen blanking."

Thanks,

You might not need to power cycle. You can only switch to other source, TV/CBL for example, and then back to NET. But the image may disappear again immediately, even though sometimes this it doesn't. As you say, it seems random.
post #1106 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsg41 View Post

Thanks,

You might not need to power cycle. You can only switch to other source, TV/CBL for example, and then back to NET. But the image may disappear again immediately, even though sometimes this it doesn't. As you say, it seems random.

Right. For me, switching inputs gets the OSD back. But if I start playing music on the NET input again, the screen blanks 15 seconds in.

The power cycle is the only thing that "cures" it... albeit temporarily.
post #1107 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Now that I've had my 807 up and running for about a month, I have a few random questions that I haven't seen discussed here and can't find addressed in the manual.

1. OSD: Will it only only run in 4:3 mode or is there a setting to switch it to 16:9 (other than stretching it via the TV, of course).
2. NET input: How are playlists handled? I don't currently have any playlists being served up by DLNA, but would like to add that to the mix.
3. Zone 2: I'm running a 5.1 setup in my main room and use Zone 2 for remote 2-channel speakers on my patio and the master bath using an external speaker selector. Is there any reason a particular input wouldn't work via Zone 2? Specifically, my cable box isn't sending audio. It's connected to the 807 via component for video and optical audio. Up to now, I've only used the remote speakers with the NET input and haven't had any trouble.

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #1108 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Now that I've had my 807 up and running for about a month, I have a few random questions that I haven't seen discussed here and can't find addressed in the manual.

1. OSD: Will it only only run in 4:3 mode or is there a setting to switch it to 16:9 (other than stretching it via the TV, of course).
2. NET input: How are playlists handled? I don't currently have any playlists being served up by DLNA, but would like to add that to the mix.
3. Zone 2: I'm running a 5.1 setup in my main room and use Zone 2 for remote 2-channel speakers on my patio and the master bath using an external speaker selector. Is there any reason a particular input wouldn't work via Zone 2? Specifically, my cable box isn't sending audio. It's connected to the 807 via component for video and optical audio. Up to now, I've only used the remote speakers with the NET input and haven't had any trouble.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. idk
2. I make playlists in Windows Media Player and they show up.
3. Zones must have analog inputs. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17565709
post #1109 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

3. Zones must have analog inputs. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17565709

To clarify, can zones ONLY take analog inputs? Or is it that only analog inputs can sync with the main zone?

I wouldn't think the NET input would be analog, but that works fine on Zone 2.
post #1110 of 5482 Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:

To clarify, can zones ONLY take analog inputs? Or is it that only analog inputs can sync with the main zone?

I wouldn't think the NET input would be analog, but that works fine on Zone 2.

Its been 2 (agonizing) weeks since I have had mine hooked up.
IIRC, Zone 2 will play either but can only snyc with the main zone if Analog is selected. This only matters if the zones are in earshot of each other.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page