Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 PM
SVM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LsRamAir - thx, the socket on the amp is a 2 prong, is there any adapter for this to match the amp socket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

LsRamAir - thx, the socket on the amp is a 2 prong, is there any adapter for this to match the amp socket?

I have the RC180 amp, and it has the whole 3 prong plug but without the physical ground tab. Is yours not like this?

You can use this adapter if the size will fit, it will just use the 2 prongs.

Im not positive of the difference from the two amps power plugs.
post #1173 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
SVM

I checked, you are right - rcvr does have a 3 prong plug socket but without the physical ground tab. the adpater will fit into the amp socket, but with the rcvr cord having only two prongs will not fit on the otherside of the socket. we are getting close.
post #1174 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Hello everyone ...
I have an 807 from 1 month ago
And I have a problem with video in HDMI: video goes to jerks, it does every 30 or 40 seconds.
I connected a Tvix 6500 and a TV Philips 37pfl9603H.
I changed for HDMI cables AWG 24 and continues with the same problem.
I have no other HD source to try.

I do not speak English, am Spanish, I translated with gloogle, I'm sorry.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------

Hola a todos...
Tengo un 807 desde hace 1 mes
Y tengo un problema con el vÃ*deo en HDMI: el vÃ*deo va a tirones, lo hace cada 30 o 40 segundos.
Tengo conectado un Tvix 6500 y una TV Philips 37pfl9603H.
He cambiado cables HDMI por AWG 24 y sigue con el mismo problema.
No tengo otra fuente HD para probar.

No hablo Ingles, soy Español, he traducido con gloogle, lo siento mucho.

Gracias
post #1175 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbirr View Post

The clicking is just relays turning speakers on or off. So 5 speakers to 2 will cause clicking. Why are you using analog 2 channel from the D* DVR?

Sorry I meant 2 ch PCM. No analog.
post #1176 of 5482 Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

Sorry I meant 2 ch PCM. No analog.

What are all the preset settings are you using? Look at the *number* of speaker icons on the front display, if they change you need to alter the preset setting so they remain the same for the different source types. Make sure you have the preset settings adjusted for all the input(s) you are using, one for the D*DVR and the other for the dolby digital if that is coming from a different input.
post #1177 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axnxa View Post

Hello everyone ...
I have an 807 from 1 month ago
And I have a problem with video in HDMI: video goes to jerks, it does every 30 or 40 seconds.
I connected a Tvix 6500 and a TV Philips 37pfl9603H.
I changed for HDMI cables AWG 24 and continues with the same problem.
I have no other HD source to try.

I do not speak English, am Spanish, I translated with gloogle, I'm sorry.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------

Hola a todos...
Tengo un 807 desde hace 1 mes
Y tengo un problema con el vÃ*deo en HDMI: el vÃ*deo va a tirones, lo hace cada 30 o 40 segundos.
Tengo conectado un Tvix 6500 y una TV Philips 37pfl9603H.
He cambiado cables HDMI por AWG 24 y sigue con el mismo problema.
No tengo otra fuente HD para probar.

No hablo Ingles, soy Español, he traducido con gloogle, lo siento mucho.

Gracias

Hi ..... are the HDMI cables really long? Are they inexpensive (cheap)? Really long HDMI cable runs can cause problems, and so can using the really inexpensive HDMI cables ....

I strongly suspect your HDMI cables are the problem. If you can, try to buy the very best quality HDMI cables you can .... I think this will probably solve the problem.

If you look on eBay for real, authentic Audioquest cables or Accell cables ... you can find a very good price for what you need. There are many other good brands ... one of the favorites here (AVS forum) come from MonoPrice.com ... also a good choice, but look carefully to make sure it is their very best cable. I have 2 cables from MonoPrice and they are very, very good.

I hope this helps ......
post #1178 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkushin View Post

Hi all - I posted this question a while back, but never got an answer. Since the problem persisits, thought I'd try again now that more of these units are out there.

The Net funtions work fine on my 807, with the exception of Rhapsody. It will play any/all streams I bring up, but it only will play the first 17 seconds of each song. As soon as it hits 17 seconds, the stream drops & it moves to the next song & repeats, etc.., etc...

Strange thing is if I start a radio station playing & then back out to the main Rhapsody menu, it will play each song normally (completely) & stream as it should. Of course I don't get any song data, etc. if I play it like that.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? And better yet, how to fix it? BTW, Pandora & countless stations in vTuner play just fine - no problems. Even Netflix streaming works well through my Sony TV, so I don't think it's my internet connection. Also, Rhapsody works perfectly on any of the 4 computers in my house - the 807 is the only device that seems to have this problem...

Thanks for any insights!

Barry

Hi .. maybe someone will chime in on this .... but if it were me, I think I would call Onkyo support on this one. If you can, try calling in the morning during the week ... there should be less call volume that time of day allowing you to get in to a tech rather quickly ....

if you do call them, could you let us know how it goes? Thanks ....
post #1179 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM

Verifica los cables. Deben ser de buena calidad. Que largo tienes? Yo instale un cable HDMI 22AWG de 17.5 metros y no tengo problema con el TX-NR807.
Saludos desde Dallas, Texas
post #1180 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCat View Post

Hi .. maybe someone will chime in on this .... but if it were me, I think I would call Onkyo support on this one. If you can, try calling in the morning during the week ... there should be less call volume that time of day allowing you to get in to a tech rather quickly ....

if you do call them, could you let us know how it goes? Thanks ....

Thanks JetCat! I took your advice & called Onkyo - they're actually around today. The tech I spoke with had never heard of this problem, but he opened a ticket & said he'd consult with others there & get back to me tomorrow. So thanks for your advice - maybe someone there will have an idea of how to fix the problem.

Barry
post #1181 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM

After pulling my hair out for a day or 2 trying to get video to display with this dock, I finally called Onkyo. I know many here are frustrated with this device as well, so thought this might be useful. He asked me if I had set my iPod for "Video Out", which I'd never even thought of. Anyway, after changing this setting on my iPod, it works as advertised!

So you get EITHER the OSD - which basically shows only audio files - OR display videos from your iPod by pushing the "Display" button on the 807's remote. Bummer here is that you have to select the video from the iPod - no OSD in "video mode"...

Anyway, thought this might be useful for others...

Barry
post #1182 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:

After pulling my hair out for a day or 2 trying to get video to display with this dock, I finally called Onkyo. I know many here are frustrated with this device as well, so thought this might be useful. He asked me if I had set my iPod for "Video Out", which I'd never even thought of. Anyway, after changing this setting on my iPod, it works as advertised!

So you get EITHER the OSD - which basically shows only audio files - OR display videos from your iPod by pushing the "Display" button on the 807's remote. Bummer here is that you have to select the video from the iPod - no OSD in "video mode"...

Anyway, thought this might be useful for others...

Barry

this is very cool information ... thank you! Ok ... sooooooooo .... just gotta ask .... what you think of the video from the iPod? how do you like it? what are your thoughts?
post #1183 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbirr View Post

What are all the preset settings are you using? Look at the *number* of speaker icons on the front display, if they change you need to alter the preset setting so they remain the same for the different source types. Make sure you have the preset settings adjusted for all the input(s) you are using, one for the D*DVR and the other for the dolby digital if that is coming from a different input.

I have a 5.1 setup and I use PLII Movie for most and Dolby Digital and DTS for those. No THX Cinema.
post #1184 of 5482 Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

this is very cool information ... thank you! Ok ... sooooooooo .... just gotta ask .... what you think of the video from the iPod? how do you like it? what are your thoughts?

I'm not too excited about the video quality - looks great on the iPod screen, but barely acceptable on my 52" TV. But that's OK - I don't intend to watch a lot of video through the UP-A1 - I really just got this thing because a friend was over the other day & had some videos on her iPhone that we all wanted to view. After trying in vain to copy the files to my PC, we ended up gathering around her iPhone & just viewing them on that - not good!

So I figured for the price (open box discount at Best Buy), the UP-A1 would be a good thing to have for times like that - just in case I need/want to view content on someone's iPod, iPhone, etc...

FYI, I also have an Apple TV & I sync my music library, some videos & some photos to that for viewing on my HDTV. As you would expect, it's GIGO, so the video quality isn't much better on that than on the iPod. Now movies rented or purchased on Apple TV are quite another story - excellent quality - both video & audio. Much better quality than Netflix streaming, but that's to be expected...
post #1185 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 AM

So... no way to enable/disable the video circuit (faroudja cinema chip) from the remote. i hate that i have to use the physical buttons on the front when i want it on for the wii.

Thanks.
post #1186 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Hi ..... are the HDMI cables really long? Are they inexpensive (cheap)? Really long HDMI cable runs can cause problems, and so can using the really inexpensive HDMI cables ....

I strongly suspect your HDMI cables are the problem. If you can, try to buy the very best quality HDMI cables you can .... I think this will probably solve the problem.

If you look on eBay for real, authentic Audioquest cables or Accell cables ... you can find a very good price for what you need. There are many other good brands ... one of the favorites here (AVS forum) come from MonoPrice.com ... also a good choice, but look carefully to make sure it is their very best cable. I have 2 cables from MonoPrice and they are very, very good.

I hope this helps ......

Thank you very much for the reply,
HDMI cables do not think they have guilt. They measure 2.5 meters.
The buying on Ebay, are these: h t t p://cgi.ebay.es/2-5M-HQ-GOLD-PLATED-HDMI-1-3C-CABLE-LEAD-PS3-HDTV-DVD_W0QQitemZ290366063663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Cab lesConnectors_RL?hash=item439b2a842f

Could it be that my estubieron 807 defective?

Thank you too "Macanudo" for your answer.

A greeting

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Muchas gracias por la respuesta,
Los cables HDMI no creo que tengan la culpa. Miden 2,5 metros.
Los compre en Ebay, son estos: h t t p://cgi.ebay.es/2-5M-HQ-GOLD-PLATED-HDMI-1-3C-CABLE-LEAD-PS3-HDTV-DVD_W0QQitemZ290366063663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_Cab lesConnectors_RL?hash=item439b2a842f

¿Pudiera ser que mi 807 estubiera defectuoso?

Gracias a ti tambien "Macanudo" por tu respuesta.

Un saludo
post #1187 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Any simple solution to turn the main power off to the receiver from the back of the receiver?
I usually keep my receiver powered off as I use it few times and there is quite a bit of heat buildup even on standby due to lack of good ventilation in my entertainment center. The receiver power cord is tucked inside the entertainment center and is not practical to reach out to pull it out of the wall receptacle to turn the main power off, currently I am pulling the cord from the back of the receiver and pushing it in but afraid this might damage the ac inlet on the receiver eventually.
Looking for some simple solutions you folks can point to? May be extension cable that plugs into the receiver and can take the receiver cord as input, but I am not sure what to search for. Thx

What about a separate surge protector (power strip) for just the receiver. Then you can just hit the power button on the strip to power down only the onkyo. You can propbably get something (with good protection rating) pretty cheap.
post #1188 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar View Post

Do you have the zone 2 set to Active in Speaker Setup? Menu option 1 or 2.

Yes, Zone 2 is active. It works with one or both sets of speakers on the Net input, but not on CBL/SAT with an optical input.

I haven't tried other sources. I guess that's my next step.
post #1189 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Any simple solution to turn the main power off to the receiver from the back of the receiver?
I usually keep my receiver powered off as I use it few times and there is quite a bit of heat buildup even on standby due to lack of good ventilation in my entertainment center. The receiver power cord is tucked inside the entertainment center and is not practical to reach out to pull it out of the wall receptacle to turn the main power off, currently I am pulling the cord from the back of the receiver and pushing it in but afraid this might damage the ac inlet on the receiver eventually.
Looking for some simple solutions you folks can point to? May be extension cable that plugs into the receiver and can take the receiver cord as input, but I am not sure what to search for. Thx

would you be able to use a power strip that has an on/off switch? That's what I currently have and when I left town for a few days I just turned it off so power was cut off to everything plugged into it.
post #1190 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Hi all - I posted this question a while back, but never got an answer. Since the problem persisits, thought I'd try again now that more of these units are out there.

The Net funtions work fine on my 807, with the exception of Rhapsody. It will play any/all streams I bring up, but it only will play the first 17 seconds of each song. As soon as it hits 17 seconds, the stream drops & it moves to the next song & repeats, etc.., etc...

Strange thing is if I start a radio station playing & then back out to the main Rhapsody menu, it will play each song normally (completely) & stream as it should. Of course I don't get any song data, etc. if I play it like that.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? And better yet, how to fix it? BTW, Pandora & countless stations in vTuner play just fine - no problems. Even Netflix streaming works well through my Sony TV, so I don't think it's my internet connection. Also, Rhapsody works perfectly on any of the 4 computers in my house - the 807 is the only device that seems to have this problem...

Thanks for any insights!

Barry

I used to have that problem with Pandora. I don't know which of these fixed it but after I had done all the following it has worked for me.

1. In network settings set control to "enable".
2. opened up the port the Onkyo uses (listed in the manual somewhere) on my router
3. opened up the media ports on my router that xbox told me to for media sharing - if you search "media ports" in this thread you should find a couple posts where I listed what they were.

Good luck!
post #1191 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Is there an easy way to change the Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset without going into the Setup menu? Is this function available through the audio button on the remote? I listen to both movies and music a lot, so I don't want to dig through menus to change this function.
post #1192 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

I used to have that problem with Pandora. I don't know which of these fixed it but after I had done all the following it has worked for me.

1. In network settings set control to "enable".
2. opened up the port the Onkyo uses (listed in the manual somewhere) on my router
3. opened up the media ports on my router that xbox told me to for media sharing - if you search "media ports" in this thread you should find a couple posts where I listed what they were.

Good luck!

Thanks Onk Yo! I'll check the settings in the morning & let you know if this helps...
post #1193 of 5482 Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 PM

I have a question about the analog multi chan pre outs on the back of the 807. Are the analog pre outs active when you use an hdmi connection with audio? I read through the manual but it doesnt specifically say if they are active when you are using an hdmi in connection with audio such as when bitstreaming dts-hd or pcm. All im interested in right now with them is the L and R and sub outs.
post #1194 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Not sure whether this has been covered somewhere in the vaults of this thread but could really do with the info. By using the preouts connected to another amp for 2 of the channels could a 9.1 system be set up? If yes, then what kind of amp would suit best to match the 807's sound? What 2 channels would be the best to send via the preouts?
post #1195 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 AM

I got an Oppo BDP-83 as BD/DVD/DVD Audio & SACD player. Its awesome. Playing SACDs via HDMI to the 807 works great. The Onkyo can decode DSD w/o any problems and Super Audio CDs sound GREAT!

Only problem is the Onkyo does not have the Oppo in its remote Database. Onkyo... work on it! The Oppo BDP-83 is an incredible piece of equipment and a great companion to the 807!
post #1196 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNedwell View Post

Not sure whether this has been covered somewhere in the vaults of this thread but could really do with the info. By using the preouts connected to another amp for 2 of the channels could a 9.1 system be set up? If yes, then what kind of amp would suit best to match the 807's sound? What 2 channels would be the best to send via the preouts?

I don't know if this would interest you but it does me since I actually dont need an amp section, just the pre/pro parts. I found the Onkyo PR-SC886P and their newest model, PR-SC5507P. These look to have all the features of the 807 and more but minus the amp section. Only issues are they are expensive and I can't seem to find any place that sells them through google. If I could get some confirmation that the pre outs on the 807 work when its fed an hdmi input source with hd audio I might have to settle for it because of availability even though the pre/pro's I mentioned would be great for me since they have balanced outputs.
post #1197 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk11vengeance View Post

I have a question about the analog multi chan pre outs on the back of the 807. Are the analog pre outs active when you use an hdmi connection with audio? I read through the manual but it doesnt specifically say if they are active when you are using an hdmi in connection with audio such as when bitstreaming dts-hd or pcm. All im interested in right now with them is the L and R and sub outs.

I just picked up an 807 to replace an 805 I was using as a pre-pro. All the preouts are active with HDMI signals. Currently I'm using the amp in the Onkyo for my DSX side surrounds. I think I'll do away with my back 7.1 speakers. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried yet, whether the back preout will work for wide fronts.
post #1198 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM

How would you guys compare the Onkyo to the Sony STR-DA4400ES? That has some nice features too. Any former or current owners of the 4400ES that made the switch to the Onkyo 807 (or vice versa)?
post #1199 of 5482 Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulum View Post

I just picked up an 807 to replace an 805 I was using as a pre-pro. All the preouts are active with HDMI signals. Currently I'm using the amp in the Onkyo for my DSX side surrounds. I think I'll do away with my back 7.1 speakers. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried yet, whether the back preout will work for wide fronts.

Great, thats good news to me that they are active with HDMI sources. Is the BurrBrown dac used with the multi analog preouts?
post #1200 of 5482 Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

to be honest i wouldn't compare sony to anything as they would be classed entry level at best...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page