When our very old CRT TV went belly-up recently, this pushed us into getting into the home theater realm in short order, and I would like to get some input as to my speaker approach for a 5.1/7.1 system as it relates to a Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver.
First off, in terms of equipment, here's what I already have or is otherwise on order:
- 42" Vizio SV421XVT HDTV (to be mounted on a Peerless PLA50 articulating arm wall mount).
- DirecTV HR23NC-700 HD DVR
- Onkyo TX-NR807 7.2 receiver (135 watts/channel @ 8 ohms)
- Panasonic DMP-BD70V Blu-Ray/VHS player
- ProAc Super Tower floor standing stereo speakers (8 ohms)
- ProAc Response ER-1 subwoofer (8 ohms)
I plan to first set up a 5.1 system, and then at a later date expand that to a 7.1 set-up. As reflected in the above list, I am going to be re-using my high-end ProAc stereo speakers and subwoofer, so I will need to purchase a center channel speaker and two surround speakers. Now I know that it would be better to use similar speakers from the same manufacturer and model line for tonal quality considerations, however, I cannot afford to flesh out my 5.1/7.1 speaker set-up with ProAc speakers as that would be way out of my current budget. And in terms of my current budget for the center and first two surround speakers ... that is around $800. This breaks out to ~$400-$500 for the center speaker and ~$100-$200 each for the two surrounds.
Based on this, here is what I am thinking of going with:
- Either a Boston Acoustics RS-244C or Atlantic Technology FS-3200C center channel speaker (both 8 ohms) respectively mounted to a Peerless MSA-101 or MSA-103 speaker mount (which interfaces with the Peerless PLA50 articulating arm wall mount so the center channel speaker is horizontally mounted directly below my 42" Vizio HDTV).
- Boston Acoustics Bravo II wall mounted speakers for the surround speakers (8 ohms).
Also, I live beyond the middle of nowhere, so there is really nowhere to go (short of a 12-16 hour round trip drive) to any decent stereo/home theater stores to listen to speakers for comparison purposes. With this in mind, I am going to have to get whatever speakers I end up with sight unseen by an on-line order, and just hope that it all works out in the final analysis.
Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone can comment on my plans as to whether you think the combination of speakers I have described will work out, or whether you would recommend something else.