post #1501 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylz25 View Post

Does the 807 work with the PS3 considering on the Onkyo.ca website under features it says that it doesnt do Multi Channel Input??????????????? Thanks for the info and help cause I am considering buying this receiver if it works well with the ps3 thx

it does not have multi channel input. you would be hooking up the ps3 via HDMI i hpoe.

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Re: Does the 807 work with the PS3 considering on the Onkyo.ca website under features it says that it doesnt do Multi Channel Input??????????????? Thanks for the info and help cause I am considering buying this receiver if it works well with the ps3 thx

Yes it will work perfectly. I have a newer model PS3 and it works (worked) perfectly. Using HDMI the sound/video is excellent. However, as per my post above, currently have an issue after attempting a firmware update.
post #1503 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

it does not have multi channel input. you would be hooking up the ps3 via HDMI i hpoe.

Yeah I would be using hdmi for the ps3! A friend told me that you need a multichannel input on the receiver so you can do 7.1 am I wrong? Need info...what is the multi channel input used for?????
post #1504 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I would be using hdmi for the ps3! A friend told me that you need a multichannel input on the receiver so you can do 7.1 am I wrong? Need info...what is the multi channel input used for?????

all you need is HDMI to get 7.1

Regency Park Family Theater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1505 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Here is my setup
oppo bdp-83
pioneer 141
if I select display on onkyo it shows the following info
input hdmi 1: 1920x1080p 24hz YCBCr24bit
output hdmi 1: 1920x1080p 24hz YCBCr30bit
the pioneer is showing the following 1080p 30 bit (isf day)
oppo is auto.
I'm not sure why itz not sending the 32. I have all video processing off. Seems like a quirk to me. I expect no processing of the signal if I select through.
Isn't this what others would expect.

I don't have the 807, but I am having a similar issue with the 707. I have a PS3 slim and when I select 1080p/24 output with THROUGH set on the ONKYO receiver, the video appears to stutter or become choppy. When I turn off the 1080p/24, the video is smooth as silk. It looks like these receivers are doing something with the signal. A good test is Night at the Museum on blu-ray. In the very beginning there are a lot of pans and the actors names scrolling by. Try it with 23fps and then watch it again with it off. You can definitely see the problem.
post #1506 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Just wondering if the Onkyo 807 is a good receiver to power a set of Paradigm Monitor 11's with the whole 5.1 system(eventually 7.1) and is it worth the money to spend to upgrade to the Onkyo 1007 to get THX Ultra Plus or is Select Plus good enough?? Thanks guys.

I have the Paradigm Monitor 9, 5.1 system. Everything sounds good to me with this receiver. I had the Onkyo 607 hooked up, but it never sounded right to me, and I knew my speakers were better than they sounded. Bought the 807, and there is a very noticeable difference. The 807 has a clean and very detailed/crisp sound, and bass from my sub is much more balanced. Even with Audyssey off. Pure mode is excellent but bass is a little lacking without a sub for most music.

My brother has the older Onkyo 805 with high-end Klipsch RF-83 7.1 package. Although I can't make a direct comparison, I think the 807 has just as much detail as the 805. There may not be as much dynamic punch, but the 807 still gets loud. At least with 5.1ch. I put on some ear plugs, and cranked it up. I measured over 100db+ with my Radio Shack meter, in a 1000sq room from 14ft away. Audyssey even has the speaker trim turned down -4db on my fronts. I'm not sure how much louder anyone would want?

The only bad thing is the buggy firmware! Sirius radio keeps changing stations! I also had the receiver lock up twice, when it was on NET input. Had to pull the plug.
post #1507 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

call OR when he "the D*tv installer" calls to see if your there have him make sure they are giving you the HR23 DVR not the HR22 it's the old one ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

OK, thanks much for that tip ... I will definitely request the HR23 DVR (if they weren't already going to bring that model along).

Quote:

Since I live in a very remote and rural area, it's not going to surprise me that the local installer will likely have the HR22 HD DVR and not the HR23 when he shows up this Saturday. And from the party line above, it doesn't look like I have much recourse in any case.

I did do a quick search on the two receivers, and from what I could superficially see, there didn't seem to be many complaints with the HR22 and some folks thought that the improvements to the HR23 were not substantial. (Just getting my rationalization ready in order to prepare to be disappointed).

Well, everything worked out just fine after all. When the D*TV installer called before he left for my appointment on Saturday, I asked him if he had any HR23 HD DVR's or just HR22's, and he said he wasn't sure. However, when he showed up, he indicated that he had taken the time to go through the inventory in his storage building and found one HR23NC-700 HD DVR and that's what I ended up getting (all of the rest were HR22's). I also got a new Slimline 3 dish. And after getting everything installed and set-up, the resultant picture quality on our new 42" Vizio HDTV has been nothing short of amazing!

Now I am just waiting for the 807 to show up (among a few other goodies) ...
post #1508 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

However, when he showed up, he indicated that he had taken the time to go through the inventory in his storage building and found one HR23NC-700 HD DVR the resultant picture quality on our new 42" Vizio HDTV has been nothing short of amazing!

Now I am just waiting for the 807 to show up (among a few other goodies) ...

COOL ! Glad that worked out for YA !

make sure U put in a good word for the Installer when the supervisor calls/comes by about the quality of the Install !
they came by days after the install to check & see if I was Happy !
You will be happy with your Onkyo TX-NR807 .. I love mine .. Just watched "the HangOver" in HD on D*Tv killer sound ! the tiger roaring is to die for !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1509 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarringtonBC View Post

Re: Does the 807 work with the PS3 considering on the Onkyo.ca website under features it says that it doesnt do Multi Channel Input??????????????? Thanks for the info and help cause I am considering buying this receiver if it works well with the ps3 thx

Yes it will work perfectly. I have a newer model PS3 and it works (worked) perfectly. Using HDMI the sound/video is excellent. However, as per my post above, currently have an issue after attempting a firmware update.

Very sorry to hear of your problem here .... I have a funny feeling that you are going to have to call Onkyo on this one (earlier post today) .... there might be another re-start trick that they know quite well that we have not heard of ..... yet. if you do call them ... perhaps you would have a moment to let us know how it goes?? That would be quite interesting ....

I hope there will be a simple solution to this .....
post #1510 of 5489 Old 12-27-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

make sure U put in a good word for the Installer when the supervisor calls/comes by about the quality of the Install!

Yep ... when D*TV called me later Saturday to find out how the installation went, I gave the installer a "10" on their 1-10 scale (as well as saying some other positive things).
post #1511 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 AM

When our very old CRT TV went belly-up recently, this pushed us into getting into the home theater realm in short order, and I would like to get some input as to my speaker approach for a 5.1/7.1 system as it relates to a Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver.

First off, in terms of equipment, here's what I already have or is otherwise on order:

- 42" Vizio SV421XVT HDTV (to be mounted on a Peerless PLA50 articulating arm wall mount).
- DirecTV HR23NC-700 HD DVR
- Onkyo TX-NR807 7.2 receiver (135 watts/channel @ 8 ohms)
- Panasonic DMP-BD70V Blu-Ray/VHS player
- ProAc Super Tower floor standing stereo speakers (8 ohms)
- ProAc Response ER-1 subwoofer (8 ohms)

I plan to first set up a 5.1 system, and then at a later date expand that to a 7.1 set-up. As reflected in the above list, I am going to be re-using my high-end ProAc stereo speakers and subwoofer, so I will need to purchase a center channel speaker and two surround speakers. Now I know that it would be better to use similar speakers from the same manufacturer and model line for tonal quality considerations, however, I cannot afford to flesh out my 5.1/7.1 speaker set-up with ProAc speakers as that would be way out of my current budget. And in terms of my current budget for the center and first two surround speakers ... that is around $800. This breaks out to ~$400-$500 for the center speaker and ~$100-$200 each for the two surrounds.

Based on this, here is what I am thinking of going with:

- Either a Boston Acoustics RS-244C or Atlantic Technology FS-3200C center channel speaker (both 8 ohms) respectively mounted to a Peerless MSA-101 or MSA-103 speaker mount (which interfaces with the Peerless PLA50 articulating arm wall mount so the center channel speaker is horizontally mounted directly below my 42" Vizio HDTV).

- Boston Acoustics Bravo II wall mounted speakers for the surround speakers (8 ohms).

Also, I live beyond the middle of nowhere, so there is really nowhere to go (short of a 12-16 hour round trip drive) to any decent stereo/home theater stores to listen to speakers for comparison purposes. With this in mind, I am going to have to get whatever speakers I end up with sight unseen by an on-line order, and just hope that it all works out in the final analysis.

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone can comment on my plans as to whether you think the combination of speakers I have described will work out, or whether you would recommend something else.

Thanks,
Don
post #1512 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm looking at this reciever and after a searching their site and this thread I can't find a definative answer so I'd appreciate any input you have.

I will be outputing to a 1080i component-in HDTV but will have 1080p (blu-ray) and 1080i (cable) and 720p (ZuneHD) through HDMI and two other Component HD inputs.
The question is can I output all sources at 1080i through component without concern?
post #1513 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Older DVD players or anything with a multichannel output! All you need is HDMI!
post #1514 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarringtonBC View Post

Well...

Like my new 807; that is until I updated the firmware.

Everything with the firmware update appeared to download normally. Granted, I didn't see it finish as I was called away to the phone for the last 20% of the download update. When I returned 15 minutes later the unit had turned off.

Assumed that it was done as it was close when I left it and now it had turned off. Attempted to restart the receiver using the power button on the front of the unit. Nothing... nada.

Tried resetting the unit. Again... nothing. Finally unplugged it and waited a 1/2 a minute. Heard it click back on. However, it was only in standby mode with a 'MMPU Setting' message on the front display. Tried the power button, resetting etc. Nothing.

Finally, tried unplugging and then holding the power button, while still unplugged, for over ten seconds. Then, while continuing to holding the power button down, plugged the power cable back in. Gee I'm tired of saying this... Nothing. Well, nothing but the cryptic 'MMPU Setting' displaying on the receiver.

Believe this acronym stands for "Memory Manager Protect Unit". Not finding anything about this here or on the Onkyo site.

Suggestions?

Or do I have a new boat anchor? Assorted curses!

I wish I could give you some guidance, but my software update went off without a hitch. My only suggestion would be to call Onkyo and see what their customer service says. It sounds like you have a corrupted file somewhere. I am not sure if there was an issue at download or not.

Anyway, please post back as to what they suggest on this.
post #1515 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

I'm looking at this reciever and after a searching their site and this thread I can't find a definative answer so I'd appreciate any input you have.

I will be outputing to a 1080i component-in HDTV but will have 1080p (blu-ray) and 1080i (cable) and 720p (ZuneHD) through HDMI and two other Component HD inputs.
The question is can I output all sources at 1080i through component without concern?

Is this what you are looking for?

From the Onkyo FAQ:
When I connect my cable/satellite box via component through the receiver and use HDMI from the receiver to my TV it displays 720p when the broadcast is 1080i. Why is that happening?

This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.
post #1516 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 09:11 AM

My FIOS receiver has the handshake issue with the 807 receiver if I hook up the FIOS box to the receiver via HDMI. Since my tv has an extra HDMI input, I can hook up the FIOS receiver to the tv directly via HDMI, but what connection should I use from the FIOS box to my receiver for audio? Would using the optical out be as good as if the receiver was hooked up to the FIOS box via HDMI? Am I missing out of any upscaling by not having my video going through the receiver? I have 7.1 speakers. My FIOS box also has the better of composite or component (I never can remember which is which), would that be better to use for my audio from the FIOS box to the receiver?
post #1517 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Stupid question of the day:

Is the blue light around the volume knob supposed to light up around the entire circumference of the knob? My HT-RC180 only lights up on the top portion.
post #1518 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Is this what you are looking for?

From the Onkyo FAQ:
When I connect my cable/satellite box via component through the receiver and use HDMI from the receiver to my TV it displays 720p when the broadcast is 1080i. Why is that happening?

This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.

Thanks bigslim. I did see this faq and it is informative but refers to going from component to hdmi. I need to go from HDMI and component to output via component. I need to know if the reciever can output all incoming sources to 1080i via component. Some recievers have issues that you can't output HDMI inputs to anything but HDMI outputs. I would like 1080i sources to pass though unchanged (especially for gaming systems) and other resolutions from a variety of input sources, to be output as 1080i.
post #1519 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduckman View Post

Is the blue light around the volume knob supposed to light up around the entire circumference of the knob? My HT-RC180 only lights up on the top portion.

Hi ... no problem .... yes ... many have wondered about this ..... the light only lights up at the top portion of the knob. As a footnote .... if you ever happen to mess with the "dimmer" button, the first click of the button will turn off the little blue light ... second click will dim the display a little ... and the third click will dim the display a little more to the lowest light level ..... so if it ever looks like the little blue light burned out ... check the dimmer button setting first to make sure of it's setting ... (kids like to mess with little buttons, right?)

It does seem kind of odd (to many I think) that the blue light on the volume knob is the way it is ....

I hope you are enjoying your RC-180 .....
post #1520 of 5489 Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncduckman View Post

FWIW, my 807 behaves in the same fashion as your 180. The blue light, for the most part, illuminates only the upper half of the volume control knob. I have mine turned off.

Regards....
post #1521 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Has anyone streamed FLAC files thru 807 from windows Media Player?
My receiver says 'cannot play' ...it plays mp3's from Windows Media Player 11.....it displays the Flac file name on thr receiver ...but cannot play...
The Manual says it can play FLAC formats....
post #1522 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetCat View Post

Very sorry to hear of your problem here .... I have a funny feeling that you are going to have to call Onkyo on this one (earlier post today) .... there might be another re-start trick that they know quite well that we have not heard of ..... yet. if you do call them ... perhaps you would have a moment to let us know how it goes?? That would be quite interesting ....

I hope there will be a simple solution to this .....

As mentioned in my earlier post, tried to firmware update the 807 and was left with a *dead* unit that wouldn't turn on after what seemed to be a normal firmware download and install. The unit was left with a cryptic "MMPU Setting" displaying on the 807.

Onkyo tech support told me he had never heard of this and said he would Google it. ??? I laughed and told him he was 24 hours late as I had already gone that route the day before. I mentioned that I kind of expected a little more in depth knowledge from their tech support department than a Google of the net. Not only that, but I found better Google 'hits' than he did. Believe the MMPU stands for "memory manager power unit" but not from anything Onkyo told me. Hmm...

Fortunately, Crutchfield's is a great retailer and has already issued an RMA for a complete refund/return with them paying the return UPS. Kudo's to Crutchfield. However, time being the essence and not wanting to wait for a return shipment, and it being Boxing Day week, found a local retailer that had 807's reduced dramatically and in stock. Will swap out the 807's today.

So... do I try the firmware again? Yes I will - but it is tough to hold your breath for 30 minutes.

Anybody else had an issue with installing firmware?

Happy New Year to everyone!
post #1523 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM

for those who are interested here are some notes on this topic:

Had some free time over Christmas so the TV and 807 were running more than usually and I have experienced the loss of sound "in progress first hand".
Basically it is linked to constant switching of the audio output.

I have Time Warner cable box DVR Scientific Atlanta 8300HD connected to 807 with HDMI. Yesterday while watching NFL game on ESPN and during commercials I was switching to Leno on NBC (after 10:00 PM), after awhile the switch to get the sound between these two channels or even on same channel during commercial with different audio was getting longer and longer. then I decided to "speedup" the process and switching more often from ESPN (Dolby Digital) to channel 214 of local TWC (mostly 2 way stereo or mono), where as per one suggestion I have setup my CBL/SAT input as "All channels stereo". In few changes the 807 lost the sound. First it took it really longer to find proper output (around 10 to 15 seconds) to get sound, then it looked like it froze somewhere between these two stages and sound was lost.

Some other points: When switching the channels The display was showing something like DIALOG NORM instead of CBL/SAT and it was coming in as running text from left to right.

After all this I have done the Factory reset. knowing that now I have to run the Audyssey again, which I will do tomorrow when I finish my upgrade to 7.1 from 5.1.

I am wondering what type of OS or PLC is running inside of the box? It really looks like a "memory leak" to me.

One solution will be to setup the CBL/SAT box to have same output as suggested by some. Problem is that there is no such thing which would support 5.1 and also mono at same time. Or I am getting it wrong.
so for those who have completely eliminated the clicking, what do you have selected under:
5.3 Listening mode Preset
Analog/PCM................................?
DolbyDigital/DolbyDigitalPlus.....................?
DTS/DTS HighResolutionAudio..................?
DF. 2ch..............?
D.F. Mono...........?

Thank you for all info, I really wish that I could say it is the user and not that box is a lemon!
post #1524 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM

I ordered 807 last night on amazon with the good deal. Now just realize that it has no multi analog inputs... this concerns me...

I have oppo-83 dvd player to play my sacd and dvd-a discs. Will I be still able to listen to them via hdmi cable hooking up oppo and onkyo 807?

Thanks
Alpharetta
post #1525 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 PM
l2e

I have read about half of this long thread and didn't find what I was looking for. Basically, I am using one source (Wii) and decide I want to watch the Rockets play on DirecTV so I turn on the sat box and switch inputs. I get perfect picture but no sound. However, the 807 is showing that there is sound but there is nothing coming out. I try switching back and forth between inputs, change channels, etc. but the only way to get sound is to turn off the 807 and turn it on again. I even tried to switching the input first and then turning on the sat box, but again no sound.

Any suggestions?
post #1526 of 5489 Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharetta View Post

I ordered 807 last night on amazon with the good deal. Now just realize that it has no multi analog inputs... this concerns me...

I have oppo-83 dvd player to play my sacd and dvd-a discs. Will I be still able to listen to them via hdmi cable hooking up oppo and onkyo 807?

Thanks
Alpharetta

Yes, just hook up using HDMI cable.
post #1527 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Alpharetta

Yes. I have the Oppo & 807 and only use HDMI connection. Works just fine.
post #1528 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 AM

I've had my 807 for about 6 weeks now. On 2 occasions (3 days appart) when I turned on my 807 there was no sound. Mute was not on, volume was up, changing inputs did not solve. Tried turning off, then back on, still no sound. On both occasions unplugging the power cable for a few seconds solved the issue.

Anyone else having this problem?
post #1529 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

Yes. I have the Oppo & 807 and only use HDMI connection. Works just fine.

Thank a lot, Macanudo for the confirmation. My onkyo 807 has not yet arrived. Cannot wait. Oppo 83 allows to configure the sacd output format as pcm and dsd via hdmi.

Will Onkyo 807 support SACD DSD?

Cheers
post #1530 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Thank a lot, Macanudo for the confirmation. My onkyo 807 has not yet arrived. Cannot wait. Oppo 83 allows to configure the sacd output format as pcm and dsd via hdmi.

Will Onkyo 807 support SACD DSD?

Cheers

Yes it does!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page