Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1531 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the "lame" question, but does anyone know if US dealers are selling this receiver in silver? I can't seem to find one online or local.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

I've had my 807 for about 6 weeks now. On 2 occasions (3 days appart) when I turned on my 807 there was no sound. Mute was not on, volume was up, changing inputs did not solve. Tried turning off, then back on, still no sound. On both occasions unplugging the power cable for a few seconds solved the issue.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sorry to bring the bad news, sound loss is a problem see my post on page 51, or my previous posts. I am also looking for a remedy.
post #1533 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Liked: 12
I've had my TX-NR807 up and running for a few weeks now. It replaced a DS787.

So far so good. Have had some HDMI handshake issues with my Zune HD, but it looks like reprogramming my remote to fire up the TV first and Zune last has fixed this.

One thing I can't figure out, however, is the Dolby EX setting. I have it set to AUTO, which I assumed would only enable Dolby EX when watching an EX soundtrack (the way my 787 worked). However, Dolby EX is displayed anytime I am watching a dolby digital soundtrack, Ex or not. For example, when watching TV, the display reads Dolby EX.

Am I missing something?

Panasonic TC-P65S1
Oppo BDP-103
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Polk FX300i
Rythmik A370PEQ2 sub
Onkyo TX-NR807 (Powers rears)
Outlaw 2200 x3 (Mains + Center)
Dish Hopper
post #1534 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Hi Joerod,
I am a fairly new to the home theater world, but I'm very technically minded just to give a heads up on my skills. Below is a list of my components.

Samsung 3600 - BD/DVD
Onkyo TX NR 807 AV Receiver
McIntosh MC 2105 Amp
Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 - Front
Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 - Rear
Polk CS10 Center Channel
Klipsch 12 300w Subwoofer

I recently upgraded my 819 Pioneer AV receiver with the Onkyo TX NR 807. Previously I was using a McIntosh 2105 amp running off the Zone 2 outputs of the Pioneer. It sounded pretty darn good.

I wasn't really thrilled with the Pioneer in general so after considerable research I went with the 807.
My issue is that I do not seem to be able to get a strong preamp output signal to the Mac amp. I have tried zone 2 as well as zone 1 per say.

When the Mac was connected to the Pioneer, I only had to turn up the gain a small amount to have more than enough sound. With the Mac connected to the 807 I have to turn up the Mac to at least halfway to get a fair amount of output. Needless to say I'm not thrilled with the sound at this point.

I playing factory music CDs in the Samsung 3600 BD/DVD connected to the 807 with an HDMI Cable. The Samsung 3600 BD/DVD has 7.1 RCA outputs that made a world of difference in sound when connecting the previous Pioneer. (I've tried every combination that I can think of.)

At this point I am blaming myself for not knowing the correct cable connections or software settings.

I'm hoping that you can provide me with a push in the right direction.
Thank you Sir.
Michael
post #1535 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM-NoCal View Post

Hi Joerod,
I am a fairly new to the home theater world, but I’m very technically minded just to give a heads up on my skills. Below is a list of my components.

Samsung 3600 - BD/DVD
Onkyo TX NR 807 AV Receiver
McIntosh MC 2105 Amp
Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 - Front
Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 - Rear
Polk CS10 Center Channel
Klipsch 12” 300w Subwoofer

I recently upgraded my 819 Pioneer AV receiver with the Onkyo TX NR 807. Previously I was using a McIntosh 2105 amp running off the Zone 2 outputs of the Pioneer. It sounded pretty darn good.

I wasn’t really thrilled with the Pioneer in general so after considerable research I went with the 807.
My issue is that I do not seem to be able to get a strong preamp output signal to the Mac amp. I have tried zone 2 as well as zone 1 per say.

When the Mac was connected to the Pioneer, I only had to turn up the gain a small amount to have more than enough sound. With the Mac connected to the 807 I have to turn up the Mac to at least halfway to get a fair amount of output. Needless to say I’m not thrilled with the sound at this point.

I playing factory music CDs in the Samsung 3600 BD/DVD connected to the 807 with an HDMI Cable. The Samsung 3600 BD/DVD has 7.1 RCA outputs that made a world of difference in sound when connecting the previous Pioneer. (I’ve tried every combination that I can think of.)

At this point I am blaming myself for not knowing the correct cable connections or software settings.

I’m hoping that you can provide me with a push in the right direction.
Thank you Sir.
Michael

I think you need to bump up intellivolume for that input!
Menu>Source Setup>Intellivolume
I hope this helps!
post #1536 of 5489 Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 PM

So any word from Onkyo on a fix for the Internet Radio problem? Sirius stations keep changing, making this receiver worthless for internet radio. No use buying a Sirius subscription, if this problem is not fixed.
post #1537 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

So any word from Onkyo on a fix for the Internet Radio problem? Sirius stations keep changing, making this receiver worthless for internet radio. No use buying a Sirius subscription, if this problem is not fixed.

I'm having trouble even signing into Sirius. Using the same username and password that logs me into the website to listen online and it says:

Sign In Error
Please check your account information.

I have a valid Sirius Everything account.

Anyone else having this issue?
post #1538 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So far (knocking on wood HARD) I have had no issues signing in to Sirius or any issues with stations changing. I have used Sirius internet on my iphone for months now and recently set it up on my new Onkyo 807.

Could the remote be giving off a bad signal to change stations? I am not sure why that would happen.

Sirius, Pandora and Internet radio all work with no issues. I am connected to my cable modem directly (Comcast with Motorola Surfboard modem).
post #1539 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:

This is a far away possibility, as my 807 does not change net stations by itself, so here is what I thought, could it be your remote?

Maybe the Net button is defective and sticking and causing the receiver to change the stations? I mean, I think its worth checking, just covering all the angles!

Update: Sorry, I see madurodave already thought about the remote! Glad to know I am not the only one thinking outside the box!
post #1540 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM

I get XM stations through my DirecTV receiver. Since I already can listen to XM stations on DTV, do I have to subscribe and pay to listen to the stations through my 807 Net tuner (only because its simpler to use and more convenient)?
post #1541 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 AM

I have a Zone issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have my main Family room that is my primary listening and home theater room. The speaker config is 5.1 - ( L, R, C, Sur L, Sur R and powered sub). I have 2 other "rooms" with speakers L and R each - (backyard and living room) Both rooms have volume control on the wall (potentiometer dial).

With my old receiver (Denon 3803 - also 7.1) I was able to listen to music on all channel stereo by cabling as follows. Standard 5.1 for my family room + Zone 2 for my back yard + Surround Back L+R for my living room. I would just turn the volume dials down when not using them so as not to hear the Surr Back audio. And when I wanted to listen to music in those rooms I would just turn on 7 Channel Stereo and it would work fine.

Rather than spend the extra couple hundred bucks on the 1007 for 9.2 (and the fact that my space wouldn't fit the extra size of that beast) I figured I could just hook up my 807 the same way. I've got it wired as follows - Zone 2/Surr Back for the back yard and the Front Wide for the Living Room. Not so much. It's not working for me.

Anyone done something like this with their 807?

Thanks!
post #1542 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

I get XM stations through my DirecTV receiver. Since I already can listen to XM stations on DTV, do I have to subscribe and pay to listen to the stations through my 807 Net tuner (only because its simpler to use and more convenient)?

nah just leave the sat/cable on D*TV & let XM play over yer amp thru the D*tv box

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1543 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigchu View Post

I have a Zone issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have my main Family room that is my primary listening and home theater room. The speaker config is 5.1 - ( L, R, C, Sur L, Sur R and powered sub). I have 2 other "rooms" with speakers L and R each - (backyard and living room) Both rooms have volume control on the wall (potentiometer dial).

With my old receiver (Denon 3803 - also 7.1) I was able to listen to music on all channel stereo by cabling as follows. Standard 5.1 for my family room + Zone 2 for my back yard + Surround Back L+R for my living room. I would just turn the volume dials down when not using them so as not to hear the Surr Back audio. And when I wanted to listen to music in those rooms I would just turn on 7 Channel Stereo and it would work fine.

Rather than spend the extra couple hundred bucks on the 1007 for 9.2 (and the fact that my space wouldn't fit the extra size of that beast) I figured I could just hook up my 807 the same way. I've got it wired as follows - Zone 2/Surr Back for the back yard and the Front Wide for the Living Room. Not so much. It's not working for me.

Anyone done something like this with their 807?

Thanks!

Hey BigChu: I have a similar but not identical need as yours.

I have 7.1 setup for movies only (without using F/W and F/H speaker terminals) in my family room.

I also want to use the remaining open either F/W or F/H speaker terminals for another adjacent room to drive a pair of bookshelf speaker for music only. I won't run 7.1 movies or another room music simultaneously.

Is it possible to have the music from either F/W or F/H in another room without activating the 7.1 speaker setup in the family room?
post #1544 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 01:54 PM

If you use the 807 as a Pre-Amp, and have no speakers hooked to it, how do you "turn off" the AMP section so it won't mess up (because it does not have any speaker loads)?
post #1545 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarringtonBC View Post

As mentioned in my earlier post, tried to firmware update the 807 and was left with a *dead* unit that wouldn't turn on after what seemed to be a normal firmware download and install. The unit was left with a cryptic "MMPU Setting" displaying on the 807.

Onkyo tech support told me he had never heard of this and said he would Google it. ??? I laughed and told him he was 24 hours late as I had already gone that route the day before. I mentioned that I kind of expected a little more in depth knowledge from their tech support department than a Google of the net. Not only that, but I found better Google 'hits' than he did. Believe the MMPU stands for "memory manager power unit" but not from anything Onkyo told me. Hmm...

Fortunately, Crutchfield's is a great retailer and has already issued an RMA for a complete refund/return with them paying the return UPS. Kudo's to Crutchfield. However, time being the essence and not wanting to wait for a return shipment, and it being Boxing Day week, found a local retailer that had 807's reduced dramatically and in stock. Will swap out the 807's today.

So... do I try the firmware again? Yes I will - but it is tough to hold your breath for 30 minutes.

Anybody else had an issue with installing firmware?

Happy New Year to everyone!

HarringtonBC: No, I didn't have any problem with my firmware update. After updating on 12/10/09, the latest version is 1221-2502-0010-9120. Do you have high-speed internet connection? Did you try firmware update again?
post #1546 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post

So far (knocking on wood HARD) I have had no issues signing in to Sirius or any issues with stations changing. I have used Sirius internet on my iphone for months now and recently set it up on my new Onkyo 807.

Could the remote be giving off a bad signal to change stations? I am not sure why that would happen.

Sirius, Pandora and Internet radio all work with no issues. I am connected to my cable modem directly (Comcast with Motorola Surfboard modem).

I ruled out the remote. I took out batteries, and somewhere between 10-30 minutes, it still switches stations. The streaming just stops, and then it switches to the next station in the list, and starts buffering it. I have it wired to my router. I wonder if my router is causing the problem? Does the Onkyo need certain ports to remain open? I think my router is set to automatically open/close ports.

Update: Someone else in the 1007 thread is having same problem. When the stream is interrupted, the Onkyo switches stations.
post #1547 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you use the 807 as a Pre-Amp, and have no speakers hooked to it, how do you "turn off" the AMP section so it won't mess up (because it does not have any speaker loads)?

From Cnet: "After the XPA is hooked up to your receiver's internal amplifiers will still be on, but since they're no longer connected to your speakers, they don't contribute to the sound you hear."

You can't turn the amps off. I'm not sure what damage could occur..if any! I use my 807as a pre-amp with no problems.......so far.

Panasonic TC-P50G10
Samsung BD-P3600
Paradigm Monitor 11 5.1 speaker system
Directv HD-DVR HR2-1100
Onkyo DV-SP500 (used as single CD player)
Onkyo TX-NR807 ( used as pre-amp)
Onkyo TX-SR800 ( used as power amp)
post #1548 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Until I could get my other speakers I was using my Jamo S60 center solo and had it hooked up to the Onkyo's left channel. It sounded great imo for one speaker. Well today I picked up 2 pair of Jamo E660's and I put the center where it belongs and wired one pair to the Left and Right and the other pair to the Zone 2 (surround sound) channels. I then proceeded to use Audy and it would not pick up any other speakers besides the L,R and Center. I even had Zone 2 on and highlighted. So I exited out and turned on my Oppo and stuck in a BD. Put it in Surround Sound and could only hear again from L,R and the center. I even tried multiple pre sets like THX, Stereo, PLX, Mono etc and nothing. I turned on the Xbox and streamed my music and again only the L,R, and Center would play. Can any one help me on getting this properly set up? Currently I am in a 5.0 configuration and haven't hooked up my Elemental Designs sub and would like to once I straighten this out. Also in the next week I should be getting the other pair of E660's that I order which will give me 7.1 (until I get my other sub) so I would like to fix this issue before adding the other pair has well. This receiver has you all know has L R wide and high so should I have hooked these to those and not the Zones?

Thanks in advance for the help
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #1549 of 5489 Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

Until I could get my other speakers I was using my Jamo S60 center solo and had it hooked up to the Onkyo's left channel. It sounded great imo for one speaker. Well today I picked up 2 pair of Jamo E660's and I put the center where it belongs and wired one pair to the Left and Right and the other pair to the Zone 2 (surround sound) channels. I then proceeded to use Audy and it would not pick up any other speakers besides the L,R and Center. I even had Zone 2 on and highlighted. So I exited out and turned on my Oppo and stuck in a BD. Put it in Surround Sound and could only hear again from L,R and the center. I even tried multiple pre sets like THX, Stereo, PLX, Mono etc and nothing. I turned on the Xbox and streamed my music and again only the L,R, and Center would play. Can any one help me on getting this properly set up? Currently I am in a 5.0 configuration and haven't hooked up my Elemental Designs sub and would like to once I straighten this out. Also in the next week I should be getting the other pair of E660's that I order which will give me 7.1 (until I get my other sub) so I would like to fix this issue before adding the other pair has well. This receiver has you all know has L R wide and high so should I have hooked these to those and not the Zones?

Thanks in advance for the help
Judd

Just make sure you have used the Surround Left and Surround Right and not the Surround Back Left or Surround Back Right. I did same mistake and thanks to this forum I got same answer. So verify your hookup.

Hope it helps.
post #1550 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVlover14 View Post

HarringtonBC: No, I didn't have any problem with my firmware update. After updating on 12/10/09, the latest version is 1221-2502-0010-9120. Do you have high-speed internet connection? Did you try firmware update again?

I hadn't checked Onkyo's site for updates but after seeing it here I just downloaded the latest FW without a problem. HarringtonBC when you did the FW update on your first 807 did you turn it off/on using the 807's switch or the remotes after the OK-SUM message? The instructions indicate using the switch on the 807. Just a thought as to a possible cause.

Also it's not mentioned in the 10/16/09 or 11/19/09 FW information if a solution to the no sound issue many of us have experienced was addressed. I talked to Onkyo CS a month ago and thier reply was they were looking into it. It seems to be hit or miss in getting someone helpful there. I'm so glad for the addition of the ethernet port if just for FW updates.

EDIT:I hope all have a Safe and Happy New Year.
post #1551 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Seems like I got it now. I switched the speaker connections around and turned off the Zones. Seems to be that when in Zone it doesn't pick up my speakers that are hooked to Surround sound.

Thanks for the help 402....

If I hook up the Onkyo to my network will it download new firmware automatically has it becomes available?

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1552 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Update. When I ran Audyssey it detected the 2 speakers hooked up to surround sound but now that I'm watching a movie there's no sound from them. Its all front left-right and center. I've tried all the presets and the speakers hooled up to the surround sound won't work and it doesn't highlight the speaker indicators on the onkyo display

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1553 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Update. When I ran Audyssey it detected the 2 speakers hooked up to surround sound but now that I'm watching a movie there's no sound from them. Its all front left-right and center. I've tried all the presets and the speakers hooled up to the surround sound won't work and it doesn't highlight the speaker indicators on the onkyo display

Quote:

Seems like I got it now. I switched the speaker connections around and turned off the Zones. Seems to be that when in Zone it doesn't pick up my speakers that are hooked to Surround sound.

Thanks for the help 402....

If I hook up the Onkyo to my network will it download new firmware automatically has it becomes available?

Thanks
Judd

Update is not automated. there is a doc on onkyo web site explaining step by step update process. it is "firmware_Onkyo_En_090916.pdf"
as for no sound from surrounds. Can you "ping" them?
Setup> 2. Speaker Setup>2.4 Level Calibration can you hear them?
If not then it will be your mechanical connection (wires) if yes then ....many things can be the reason, and I am too new to this to elaborate further, sorry.
post #1554 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamiller View Post

Make sure your 807 is in the mode of "All Channel Stereo" if you want to ALWAYS hear sound from all your speakers... trust me.

Why would you want to do that? That doesn't give you surround sound and you'll get dialog out of every channel. I only use "All Channel Stereo" to listen to ambient music when I'm just hanging out or puttering around the house. But if you have that setting on for movies it's not going to sound good or correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound402 View Post

Well, my 807 must be a lemon,
sound is gone after 10 to 14 days, The gap between these mute stage is getting shorter and shorter. Onkyo help was to do factory reset (didn't help) or send to authorized dealer for repair. (this means not having the unit for weeks, eventually will have to do it...
It is a first real receiver I ever got, and I am unhappy I feel like worst purchase I ever made, no wait that was the Chrysler years ago...

If anyone was able to fix this sound issue I would love to hear it. same as for this clicking when some commercials are plain mono or 2channel stereo, that click is loud...

On other note: Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to all

Did you try unplugging the 807 for a few minutes then pugging it back in adn turning it on? That has worked for others' loss of sound issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Is this what you are looking for?

From the Onkyo FAQ:
When I connect my cable/satellite box via component through the receiver and use HDMI from the receiver to my TV it displays 720p when the broadcast is 1080i. Why is that happening?

This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.

Wha??? So since my new HD cable box won't work with the 807 using HDMI and now I am only going to get 720 using component? Time-Warner better pony up a better box then. They gave me some new model they're using. Right now I just have it direct into the TV since I didn't have my new rack set up but today I'm going to move all my components to their new location, near the 807 and we'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharan View Post

Has anyone streamed FLAC files thru 807 from windows Media Player?
My receiver says 'cannot play' ...it plays mp3's from Windows Media Player 11.....it displays the Flac file name on thr receiver ...but cannot play...
The Manual says it can play FLAC formats....

I streamed FLAC using TVersity and Twonky (I think I tried it with Twonky, can't check since my trial ran out and I'm not paying for it until they add Hulu support). I opened up a bunch of media ports at one point and I don't know if that made a difference or not but it can't hurt to try. Just search "media ports" in this thread and you should find it.

Quote:

I have no problem with internet radio using Pandora. I don't think it's an overall internet radio problem.

Quote:

Does the Onkyo need certain ports to remain open? I think my router is set to automatically open/close ports.

The Onkyo does use a specific port which I opened on my router. I don't remember the port number but it's in the manual.
post #1555 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVlover14 View Post

On the new, replacement 807 had no problem with the firmware update. Do have a high-speed connection. This time, watched the front display intently as the firmware downloaded and subsequently installed each component. Noticed, at one point, the MMPU had to reset; believe my original firmware failed at that point. Only used the 807 to attempt to power back on.

Read how the most recent Nov. 19th firmware update: "reinforces the recovery capability of the update process." Guess my original attempt at firmwaring needed this "Catch-22" fix. Got it now.

One last question about the process. If you don't power off/on after a few minutes after receiving the OK:Sum = ******** does the unit power off automatically? My original firmware attempt had shut down the unit within a few minutes of allegedly finishing the update. (was out of the room when it occurred)
post #1556 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 AM

OK... reading and reading... can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have had the received up an running for about a week and loving it!! It is incredible. The one area that I am still a little confused on is hte listening modes. I play Blu-ray through my PS3 (old version not the new slim), TiVo series 3 playing FIOS and DVDs typically through a upconverting Samsung DVD player. Seems like I am always messing with the listening modes. Are there any good auto settings?

What is typically best for the PS3? Last night watching Star Trek on bluray I wasn't sure what to pick.

Running a 5.1 speaker setup...

Any guidance would be appreciated.
post #1557 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 AM

I have a problem. My remote isn't working on the 807 all of a sudden. It's the 807's remote controller and still works for the other components but when I try to use it for the receiver nothing.

It stopped working while I was in setup mode. I had just switched out my TV and was looking for how to get the codes for that into the remote. I didn't find it in the manual for whatever reason and had the TV running watching off my cable box which is connected directly to the TV via component. I went into setup on the 807 using the remote, was clicking around in there using the 807 display to see where I was at and it got hung up and stopped working. I think I was in "hardware setup".

I have unplugged the 807 and turned it back on, still no remote capability. It works fine, just can't control it via remote.

Anyone have a tip? Oh, I guess I'll try a reset since the only thing I really have programmed in right now is my Audyssey settings and I can rerun that.

***UPDATE*** Okay, somehow I changed the remote ID last night. I found something about that in the manual and changed it to 2 and now the remote works again on the 807. Moral of the story is don't play around with AV settings after a night out on New Year's Eve and medicating with mj when you got home.
post #1558 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmackenz View Post

OK... reading and reading... can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I have had the received up an running for about a week and loving it!! It is incredible. The one area that I am still a little confused on is hte listening modes. I play Blu-ray through my PS3 (old version not the new slim), TiVo series 3 playing FIOS and DVDs typically through a upconverting Samsung DVD player. Seems like I am always messing with the listening modes. Are there any good auto settings?

What is typically best for the PS3? Last night watching Star Trek on bluray I wasn't sure what to pick.

Running a 5.1 speaker setup...

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I thought the 807 would automatically select whatever sound the source is sending. I use my xbox atm and when a game is in it's on Dolby Digital, then when I stream TV shows from my computer it goes to Theater Dimensional which works great for that, then this morning I played a DVD on it and it used THX Cinema. I didn't change anything manually.

The disc case should tell you what type of sound they mixed as so see if that's what the 807 chooses. If not go select whatever the case tells you it is, especially since you are running 5.1 I would think, since you don't need it to extrapolate anything for any extra channels that weren't used for the mix.

I'm not used to having such a complex receiver though, and there are a lot of sound settings I don't think I would ever use. Perhaps someone else has better info for you.
post #1559 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM

After many years of great fun, I finnaly decide to replace my aging Onkyo TX-DS939. I am considering the Onkyo TX-NR807, but other brands have crossed my mind, such as NAD (specifically the T755), Marantz or Cambridge Audio. By the way my loudspeakers are from THX certified Bowers & Wilkins rated at around 100W. I mainly use them for movie watching and the ocassional audio CD or Vinyl. Can anyone help me make the right choice?
post #1560 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

Hi Jack,

I was hoping you could answer this for me. When you go into Pandora through the reciever, do you have the option of logging into your Pandora profile?

You will have to provide your pandora account information, then all your stations will be displayed! It's really cool.

edit: sorry, I did not realized I was reading old posts!

Happy New Year
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page