1Likes

post #1561 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onk Yo View Post

Did you try unplugging the 807 for a few minutes then pugging it back in adn turning it on? That has worked for others' loss of sound issues.

Yes, that's exactly what i have done and referenced to as a "Cold reboot". the problem I see is that it is repeating every 10 to 14 days. I have the 807 on separate powerbar with switch to do the OFF/ON. but this is wrong. it shouldn't happen at all.

On positive Note After upgrade to 7.1 and rerun of the setup with Audyssey I have eliminated the clicking . Finally the Audyssey DSX was available to select. Now if my theory is correct the "no sound" should be fixed too, since the constant switch will be less and unit shouldn't freeze. I will see in 2 weeks or so and I will post the news, hope will be a good one.

Happy New Year to ALL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

I ruled out the remote. I took out batteries, and somewhere between 10-30 minutes, it still switches stations. The streaming just stops, and then it switches to the next station in the list, and starts buffering it. I have it wired to my router. I wonder if my router is causing the problem? Does the Onkyo need certain ports to remain open? I think my router is set to automatically open/close ports.

Update: Someone else in the 1007 thread is having same problem. When the stream is interrupted, the Onkyo switches stations.

Sounds like it is a problem with your router, then or possibly signal quality. I had some issues with tv clarity when I first had things installed. Connections to the wall plate and coming into the house were loose, giving a lot of signal loss.

Check all connections to make sure everything looks good. You can also run a speed test to check your internet speed versus others in your area.

Beyond that, possibly the router itself has an issue or the CAT5 cable is bad.

As I mentioned earlier in another post, I have a Motorola SurfBoard modem that I really like (I own it).
post #1563 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I turned off Audyssey and then I'm aloud to use the surround sound speakers.

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #1564 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

I turned off Audyssey and then I'm aloud to use the surround sound speakers.

Check if you have your surrounds connected to the right set. I few of us used the wrong surrounds/zone inputs and didn't get the surrounds to show up. I would bet that's what's happened with you as well. Whichever surrounds you are using for inputs on the 807, try the other set and then try running Audyssey again.
post #1565 of 5489 Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
this is a cross post from the ONKYO TX-SR707 thread that deals with the clicking issue
(I now have both 807 & 707 Onk's)
I myself have never had a clicking issue with any of my Onk's 606,707,807
as I do run from a Direct-TV HR-22 DVR's on both of my HTPC's (living room & bedroom)
the 606 is dying (being sent in for warranty repair , the 707 is the replacement)

maybe this will help someone !!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...150449&page=57

===>Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
I appreciate the help. I did notice the multiple pages. I've been trying many different settings for each. The result is the same whenever there is a transition from 5.1 to 2.0 audio there is a click. But there is no click when going changing from 2.0 to 5.1 and in all cases the receiver does end up in the expected mode.

I suspect it is something my DirecTV box is doing that is not being handled gracefully by the Onkyo. I'm still open to suggestions but if I don't get this sorted out this evening I'm packing up the Onkyo and returning it. It's just too much $ for it to be this quirky.

===>Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
Mine does it too when switching from DD 5.1 to analog processing like PLII. I don't think it's a preset issue, but it's quite possible (likely, even) that I have not set them correctly. I do wonder if there's perhaps an audio output setting in my Motorola DVR that might help.

===>Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post
I have the same issue with my Dish box. I hear the click inside the receiver when it automatically changes from a DD program to a 2.0 signal. I do have it set to PLII for a 2 channel source, but I hear it click. I've just learned to live with it because it doesn't happen that often. The 707's benefits overshadows this one fault.

The POST from "opinti"===>

I read with interest about the clicking issues on Sat/Cbl source.
I have a similar issue which was resolved by selecting 'Direct' in my 5.1 setup for Sat/Cbl.
Page 76 on the manual reads:
Direct
In this mode, audio from the input source is output
directly with minimal processing, providing high-fidelity
reproduction. All of the source's audio channels are
output as they are.
[color="Black"]
Works for me coz my local cable operator only output selected TrueHD programes in DD 5.1 Surr sound and I get DD 5.1 when the DD logo lights up in the display window. No clicking during transition between programe and commercial / 5.1 to 2 channel audio vise versa.
Worth a shot.

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1566 of 5489 Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How can I best utilized my current external Rotel amplifiers with the ONKYO TX-SR807 or 707.

I will be purchasing an or 707 in the coming weeks upgrading from my old Rotel RSX 1055. I am currently using a Rotel 1080 amp (2*200) to drive my 2 fronts (B&W 704's) while using a Rotel 1050 (2*70) to bi-amp my center speaker. Side and rear speakers (JBL SP 8Cll) are driven by the Rotel 1055 (5*75). The current HT room is used for movies and sports 80% and music (2 channel) 20%.

With my current external power amps and the addition of the 807 or 707, I should have several options to best utilize these amps with my current speakers but I am not sure what the 807 / 707 will allow with regards to bi-amping it's amplifliers.

Can anyone offers some suggestions.....thanks

Rotel RSX 1055
Rotel RB 1080
Rotel RB 1050
BWM 704s / HTM 7
JBL SP 8Cll * 4
Velodyne HGS 15X / Velodyne 10 SPL II
post #1567 of 5489 Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

This is going to be a noob question so prepare yourself's

I went and checked out some settings under the speaker menu and noticed my speakers were set up for -6.0db etc etc. I take it the Audyssey did this? If so why do they set them to all different negatives like that? Not sure if I should have done this but i bumped them all up to 0 db and put the center at +2db since you get more vocals and what not from it while watching movies. By doing this I now don't have to turn my Onkyo up has loud to get the same sound output I now can at a lower level.

Thanks
Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1568 of 5489 Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went and checked out some settings under the speaker menu and noticed my speakers were set up for -6.0db etc etc. I take it the Audyssey did this? If so why do they set them to all different negatives like that? Not sure if I should have done this but i bumped them all up to 0 db and put the center at +2db since you get more vocals and what not from it while watching movies. By doing this I now don't have to turn my Onkyo up has loud to get the same sound output I now can at a lower level.

Yeah that's what I do after a audessey set-up is, i fine tune to my ears
You might lok into the dynamice EQ if it's on or not & mess with them if u like the set-up saves the settings soo u can always go back
I find that with both my 707 & 807 that if I make some of the basic pre-sets settings, turning off options that I don't like , 1st before audessey then the outcome for me is less fine tuning to be done after ..
but once u mess with the settings & U have a problem then re-set everything to default ,start over this will save yourself many headaches trouble shooting any problem
I M H O this has really helped me get my A/V set the way I like them & has made life Really Nice Now !

these Onkyo's (707 & 807 ) are complicated to say the least, but once U get the feel to navigate around the settings these A/V's really Shine

Mike

post #1569 of 5489 Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM

This afternoon I lost sound on my 807, it's the 3rd time in 6 weeks this has happened. I tried changing every audio setting I could think of and the only way to restore audio was to disconnect power for a few seconds.

It happened right after watching an Amazon rental downloaded to my TiVo HD, I switched the source to cable/satellite input and that was the end of any sound output until the power disconnect.

Not a good feeling!
post #1570 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanudo View Post

This afternoon I lost sound on my 807, it's the 3rd time in 6 weeks this has happened. I tried changing every audio setting I could think of and the only way to restore audio was to disconnect power for a few seconds.

It happened right after watching an Amazon rental downloaded to my TiVo HD, I switched the source to cable/satellite input and that was the end of any sound output until the power disconnect.

Not a good feeling!

I've had my 807 for almost 4 months and have had the same no-sound issue 3 times. You're right the only way to resolve the issue is a power reset (nice the power cord is detachable). I talked to Onkyo CS a month ago and that person said they were aware of the problem and looking into it (time to call again I think). I would have thought this issue would have been addressed by now given they have released 2 FW updates for other issues in the past couple months.

Limp Fox you can also adjust individual input levels using Intelli-volume (it's from the main OSD menu but I apologize for not exactly what section). And I'm guessing Audyssey sets the speaker levels like that for room correction and the input levels. I'm curious if it would do different with increased input levels. I may have to try this when i have time.
post #1571 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Not a good feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolram62 View Post

I've had my 807 for almost 4 months and have had the same no-sound issue 3 times. You're right the only way to resolve the issue is a power reset (nice the power cord is detachable). I talked to Onkyo CS a month ago and that person said they were aware of the problem and looking into it (time to call again I think). I would have thought this issue would have been addressed by now given they have released 2 FW updates for other issues in the past couple months.

I am going to be receiving my new 807 next Wednesday, and I sure hope that Onkyo has done something with the more recently manufactured units that addresses the no-sound issue. If not, what concerns me is that this might be some hardware issue, where a firmware update may not be able to successfully correct the problem (and I seriously doubt that Onkyo would initiate a full-fledged product recall over this apparently intermittent issue).
post #1572 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:

This is going to be a noob question so prepare yourself's

Thanks
Judd

From what I read from the Audysee thread, these levels are set to reference levels. When your receiver's volume is set to "0" watching a movie, you are at the level the director meant for you to hear. By changing these value's you are changing from Reference to Preference. Page 191 in the Audysee thread go into detail on this. I have a 1007 and with my Klipsch speakers, I have a hard time not raising those values. But at "0" volume, I am still blown away.
Jim
post #1573 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaugustu View Post

From what I read from the Audysee thread, these levels are set to reference levels. When your receiver's volume is set to "0" watching a movie, you are at the level the director meant for you to hear Jim

I noticed that just last nite when watching "Public Enemies" Blu-Ray

Mike

post #1574 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Page 191 in the Audysee thread go into detail on this.
Jim

Jim,

Could you post a link to this thread, please? I am having problem to locate it, thanks
post #1575 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM

I know this is the Onkyo TX-NR807 Official Thread, so with that being said, I thought this was the perfect place to ask. I'm in a state of perpetual second guessing.

I want to buy the TX-NR807 BUT I keep looking at the Denon AVR-2310CI. Both are about the same price. Is there any reason why I should pick one over the other. I would audition them myself, but I find that none of my local dealers have the specific models in stock.

Are there any of you that have used, both?
post #1576 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 PM

Liked: 12
Searched the forum, but not a lot of comment on this. Thinking about switching from cable (TWC) to Dish. I would love to hear from anyone who's using a Dish 722K DVR with their 807. Any HDMI handshake issues? Any other interoperability issues?

And in general: Are you happy with satellite? Any opinions on satellite vs. cable? And any opinions on Dish vs D*?

I've read many of the posts in the HDTV forums, but would like to hear from folks here as well - especially in reference to the 722 DVR with the 807...

Thanks,

Barry
post #1577 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Barry if it helps I have Direct TV and I have their HD DVR box hooked to my Onkyo with no issues what-so-ever. I prefer Sat over Cable hands down. I'm waiting till the free-air stuff gets worked out and I'm going to try that. I'm sure plenty of US guys in here have tried it and have opinions. It must be nice getting thousands of channels for the price of your Dish and Receiver I know I read a lot about it on AVforum which mainly has members from outside the US

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1578 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I read from the Audysee thread, these levels are set to reference levels. When your receiver's volume is set to "0" watching a movie, you are at the level the director meant for you to hear. By changing these value's you are changing from Reference to Preference. Page 191 in the Audysee thread go into detail on this. I have a 1007 and with my Klipsch speakers, I have a hard time not raising those values. But at "0" volume, I am still blown away.
Jim

Perhaps I am just extremely deaf, but I been going to about +6.0db or so. I am running 5.1 tho until my other two speakers get here so perhaps they'll make a difference.

Until I messed with the Audyssey settings I thought it was weird going from where it starts, -80 I believe, to about -40 or before I hear any thing. To me it didn't seem right. I'm still a noob tho so maybe I got more reading to do.

When I was at wwstereo here in PA picking up the Jamo's they had them hooked up to a Integra receiver (not sure which model) and has soon has they got about 5db from the min you could start hearing it and I remember him not having to turn them up has loud has I do to hear at the same volume with my Onkyo. Maybe they had there db settings all the way up or some thing? B/c they didn't have it amp'd from what I seen and the 807 has a pretty powerful amp built in....

Judd

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1579 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Im having a problem

i have a dct6200 cable box hooked up to my onkyo reciever via component cables and then HDMI to the television

When i use "through" as the output through my reciever everything works fine, but when i try to upconvert it to 1080P i get a white blinking line at the top of the TV on certain channels

any way to fix this?
post #1580 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialskid View Post

Im having a problem

i have a dct6200 cable box hooked up to my onkyo reciever via component cables and then HDMI to the television

When i use "through" as the output through my reciever everything works fine, but when i try to upconvert it to 1080P i get a white blinking line at the top of the TV on certain channels

any way to fix this?

It may be because the 807 apparently cannot send anything other than 720p if the input is component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post

Is this what you are looking for?

From the Onkyo FAQ:
When I connect my cable/satellite box via component through the receiver and use HDMI from the receiver to my TV it displays 720p when the broadcast is 1080i. Why is that happening?

This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.

post #1581 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Im having a problem

any way to fix this?

I have a Samsung UN55B8000. It has a wide setting which basically displays every pixel produced by the source. Sometimes in some programs I can see a very thin white (intermittent) line above, very few times under. When i press the p.size button, and select wide mode, I can use the arrows (up/down/left/right) to move the picture and eliminate the white intermittent line. In the Sammy another way is to change the p.size setting from wide to 16:9 which does some overscan. This removes the problem, albeit loosing a little bit of the image on (1-5% depending on the TV).

Try using a calibration disc and using a screen oversize image to see how your tv is performing.

Another suggestion, can you get your cable company to upgrade your box to one with HDMI output?

Good luck.
post #1582 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:

I have a Samsung UN55B8000. It has a wide setting which basically displays every pixel produced by the source. Sometimes in some programs I can see a very thin white (intermittent) line above, very few times under. When i press the p.size button, and select wide mode, I can use the arrows (up/down/left/right) to move the picture and eliminate the white intermittent line. In the Sammy another way is to change the p.size setting from wide to 16:9 which does some overscan. This removes the problem, albeit loosing a little bit of the image on (1-5% depending on the TV).

Try using a calibration disc and using a screen oversize image to see how your tv is performing.

Another suggestion, can you get your cable company to upgrade your box to one with HDMI output?

Good luck.

where can i get a calibration disc?

my company doesnt have any boxes that offer hdmi
post #1583 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

You can buy a oppo 83 and it comes with video and audio calibration discs

Orrrrr you can search for spears and muncil discs. The video one cost like 15-20 dollars and I'm sure the audio one (if you want it) is aroind the same price

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

post #1584 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time to switch to DiRect TV

Mike

post #1585 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM

I have been following this thread with great interest and thanks to your inputs, I finally took the plunge and got the TX-NR807 set up although not fully. Here are some initial observations.

First my setup:

- Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
- Onkyo TX-NR807
- Oppo BDP-83
- Dish Network VIP 622 DVR
- Polk Audio speakers (RT1000i fronts, LS fx/35 surrounds, PSW 450 subwoofer, JBL center)

1. First time set up took quite a while because of confusion arising from the designations of the surround speakers.
2. Several times I had video dropouts and audio dropouts -- power reset button did the trick.
3. Audyssey setup is awesome.
4. Clean sound from the amp/speakers.
5. Calibration DVD that came with the Oppo BDP 83 is good, but I don't quite know how else to better my colors. THX preset mode from the TV works just fine.
6. Default settings from Oppo to receiver are working fine for me. In other words, I let Oppo take care of the data encoding.
7. The tuner for FM sounds terrible even though I had followed directions and I live within 5 miles of most radio stations I listen to.
8. SACD over DSD blew my mind. Earlier I used to play my SACDs via analog inputs to my old receiver (Yamaha RXV-1200).

Things to complete setup
1. Networking the components to use Ethernet ports on all devices. I'm considering SlingLink Turbo 4-port. Any suggestions?
2. Install HD Radio and perhaps iPod adapter. Need advice/suggestions on whether this is worth pursuing.
3. Start playing Pandora/last.fm/internet radio etc. once the network setup is complete.

Thanks in advance for your inputs prior to this posting and any suggestions you may have.

Happy listening!

Andy

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR1010
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-103, TV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ800U
Speakers: Klipsch
RF-7 II Floorstanding, RC-64 II Center Channel, RS-62 II Surround Speakers
Subwoofer: SVS Sound PB-2000
Roku, Apple TV
post #1586 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Time to switch to DiRect TV

Im up in Canada
post #1587 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound402 View Post

Jim,

Could you post a link to this thread, please? I am having problem to locate it, thanks

I do not have enough post's to post a link, but if you go to to the "official" Audysee thread(sticky) 1st post and click "setup Guide". It is mentioned towards the end. Also Chris from audysee has a site called "ask Audysee) Try this but put http:// first: ask.audyssey.com/forums/84181/entries/73283
Jim
post #1588 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Simplest thing would be to google it, that will show you plenty of vendors. Or you can go to Amazon.com. Here are 2 links:

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-...8&sr=8-1-fkmr1

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...8&sr=8-2-fkmr1
post #1589 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Bummer... I would start thinking about changing providers!
post #1590 of 5489 Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I do not have enough post's to post a link, but if you go to to the "official" Audysee thread(sticky) 1st post and click "setup Guide". It is mentioned towards the end. Also Chris from audysee has a site called "ask Audysee)

Here is a link.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

And it's spelled Audyssey, not Audysee!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page