Pioneer SC-25 and SC-27 Receiver Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5255 Old 09-29-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is very similar to what i mean but with the movie in the basement uninterrupted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5255 Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

hey guys i have a quick scenario which i am wondering if the SC-27 could pass, and if yes how:

i am moving into a new house and i want to get the SC-27 but this would be placed in the basement as to accomodate the dedicated home theatre that would be down there (7.2 to be exact). i want to install in-wall speakers on the ground floor in the living room(2) and the kitchen(1) this could be zone 2, the patio (2) and this could be zone 3, so that the music basically plays through the entire house even if someone is downstairs watching a movie. is this possible and how so?

The 27 can do up to 3 zones, so youre all set there, there's a pretty good explanation how to do it in the manual.
post #273 of 5255 Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

...Maybe CHP_AR could create a similar post (if willing) that could be bumped to the top of this thread by a mod? In my opinion it's crucial, but that's just me.....

One problem is that CHP_VR, like me, does not own a 25/27; he had an 07 and now has an 09, I have an 07. If there are any issues unique to the 2X series, neither of us would have experience with them. If this thread is to be maintained by someone, it should be a 25/27 owner. In the meantime, I still recommend current or perspective 25/27 owners refer to the first post of the 05/07 thread. Probably 99% of your questions are covered there (or elsewhere in that thread).
post #274 of 5255 Old 09-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

One problem is that CHP_VR, like me, does not own a 25/27; he had an 07 and now has an 09, I have an 07. If there are any issues unique to the 2X series, neither of us would have experience with them. If this thread is to be maintained by someone, it should be a 25/27 owner. In the meantime, I still recommend current or perspective 25/27 owners refer to the first post of the 05/07 thread. Probably 99% of your questions are covered there (or elsewhere in that thread).

Agreed, maybe I'll try to throw something together and request it get bumped to the top of this thread.
My 27 showed up this afternoon, two hours later I had her up and running without any hiccup's. I have to say it's a pretty impressive unit. Maybe it was my old Denon that lacked some of the calibration tools the 27 has, but whatever the case this thing sounds extraordinary. If I didn't know any better I could say it sounds like I've replaced my whole HT, from head unit to speakers and sub. I took in a little "VanHelsing" on Blu-ray while the wife was making dinner, WOW great DTS-HD audio !!!! Pretty easy setup, went as expected considering I have the Kuro and 51FD, get all of the OSD features as advertised via HDMI control. Have yet to listen to any music, so my next step will be to throw in the Eagles Hotel California DVD-A and see what I come up with... She's a thing of beauty sitting below my 51FD !!!
post #275 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Hey guys,

I posted here about two days ago about setting up a new Pio SC-25. While I did not get any answers here, I received the following answer in another (non-avs) forum and thought about running it by you to hear if this has been a concern for any of you (or anyone you know):

"In my unabashed attempt not to be critical of your choice of AVR, it has been noticed, however, on a number of the forums that the last two generations of Pioneers(both Elite and regular models) required firmware updates to hopefully correct HDMI "handshake"(intermittent video drop-outs) issues with "some" Blu-Ray players and HD cable/sat boxes connected to them and apparently even these updates have still not fully corrected the problem. Earlier this year my preference was for an SC07(the previous model), however, once this came to light, I bought another brand and have never had any issues. Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest looking in to this further before making the final commitment on this unit."

In the interest of full disclosure, I eventually noticed that this response came from a very Denon-heavy forum. So, I take this kind of comment with a grain of salt, but would greatly appreciate any comments/response from you.

I have heard amazing things about the SC's sound, which makes it the most attractive AVR for me. Yet, I also want to watch some satelite TV and watch movies on my BD player without necessarily having to run direct component/SPDIF cabling from these sources to the TV. Please advise.

P.S.: BTW, I recall reading somewhere in this forum(?) that someone is from the Syracuse area. I live in DeWitt, and if you would be willing to talk, pm me. Can that be done here? How? Thanks.
post #276 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know this is the SC25/27 thread. But, since the entire SC series...SC 05/07/25/27 are so close, I would imagine the answer about HDMI drop outs would be the same.

I've used my SC 05 for several months. Never once did I have any HDMI handshake issues with my BD and DVD players, nor with my TW SA HD cable box.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #277 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post

Hey guys,

I posted here about two days ago about setting up a new Pio SC-25. While I did not get any answers here, I received the following answer in another (non-avs) forum and thought about running it by you to hear if this has been a concern for any of you (or anyone you know):

"In my unabashed attempt not to be critical of your choice of AVR, it has been noticed, however, on a number of the forums that the last two generations of Pioneers(both Elite and regular models) required firmware updates to hopefully correct HDMI "handshake"(intermittent video drop-outs) issues with "some" Blu-Ray players and HD cable/sat boxes connected to them and apparently even these updates have still not fully corrected the problem. Earlier this year my preference was for an SC07(the previous model), however, once this came to light, I bought another brand and have never had any issues. Just to be on the safe side, I would suggest looking in to this further before making the final commitment on this unit."

In the interest of full disclosure, I eventually noticed that this response came from a very Denon-heavy forum. So, I take this kind of comment with a grain of salt, but would greatly appreciate any comments/response from you...

You are right to take such comments with a grain of salt. For one thing, Pioneer doesn't offer firmware updates except via authorized service centers, and if they were widely required, there'd be a lot of comment/complaint about it. I've been following the various VSX-01/03, SC-05/07, SC25/27 and related threads pretty much from the beginning and have not heard of this being a problem. (Admittedly, there may have been an isolated instance or two that I have forgotten.)

There are occasional handshake issues, but no more than with other HDMI devices. Frequently these are intermittent. Often, the problem has been traced to the other device, cable issues, loose connections, or user error. There is no pattern that suggests any inherent shortcoming in the Elites. I have both a VSX-01 and an SC-07 and have used both with an assortment of at least seven HDMI devices, including BD, DVD, and SACD players as well as a satellite box and computer, none of which have exhibited anything other than an occasional non-repeatable connection issue.

I doubt you will find a brand with a history of fewer software problems than Pioneer.
post #278 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

You are right to take such comments with a grain of salt. For one thing, Pioneer doesn't offer firmware updates except via authorized service centers,

Here is a link of how to upgrade the firmware of a SC 25/27 9540

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...STRUCTIONS.pdf
post #279 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I probably should have mentioned the HMG exception, but didn't think it was germane.
post #280 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Agreed, maybe I'll try to throw something together and request it get bumped to the top of this thread.
My 27 showed up this afternoon, two hours later I had her up and running without any hiccup's. I have to say it's a pretty impressive unit. Maybe it was my old Denon that lacked some of the calibration tools the 27 has, but whatever the case this thing sounds extraordinary. If I didn't know any better I could say it sounds like I've replaced my whole HT, from head unit to speakers and sub. I took in a little "VanHelsing" on Blu-ray while the wife was making dinner, WOW great DTS-HD audio !!!! Pretty easy setup, went as expected considering I have the Kuro and 51FD, get all of the OSD features as advertised via HDMI control. Have yet to listen to any music, so my next step will be to throw in the Eagles Hotel California DVD-A and see what I come up with... She's a thing of beauty sitting below my 51FD !!!

ok, here's a start for you.

It's linked on the first page four posts down.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17000858

Manuals, drawings, Protocols,
MCACC Software/Manual, CAD Drawings

140W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, .09% THD @ 8 ohms, All Channels Driven)
SC-25
DACs:
Wolfson WM8740 192 kHz / 24-bit DAC
ADC:
Burr Brown 192 kHz / 24-bit

Manuals
SC-25
SC-27

MCACC
MCACC Manual
MCACC Software (2.2)

CAD Drawings;
SC-25 and SC-27

IR and Hex Codes
SC-25 and SC-27

Pronto Files:
not available for the SC-25 yest but should be similar to the SC-05:
Not available for the SC-27 yet but should be similar to the SC-07:

Universal remote codes:
.MXF files

.MXF files
RS232 Protocal Codes:
SC-25 and SC-27

Home Electronics Custom Install
Custom Install Files

HGM Updates and Procedures:
SC-27
SC-25

SC-27 back panel:

SC-25 Back Panel

Generic link to files

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #281 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM

post #282 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sottovoce View Post

P.S.: BTW, I recall reading somewhere in this forum(?) that someone is from the Syracuse area. I live in DeWitt, and if you would be willing to talk, pm me. Can that be done here? How? Thanks.

That would probably be me, I'm in North Syracuse off 11 by the Lowes. I've only had my 27 hooked up since yesterday, so I'm a little behind the power curve, but I can say I've yet to experience any signal dropping running everything through the 27 via HDMI. Dtv HD/DVR, 51FD-BDP, Denon 2910 SACD/DVD<--(not connected as of yet), all into the 27 and out to my Kuro via 1 HDMI cable. But if you have any questions, FIRE away !!
I assume you've been to the BB Magnolia on Erie Blvd to check out the 25/27's, the lady that works there is pretty nice, but other than audio, you won't really get a chance to check out much, one major thing being the 25/27's Anchor Bay video processing capabilities. I didn't ask if it was possible considering their setup there (looked timely and difficult). Once I finish up tweaking everything on mine, I was going to hook my Denon 2910 up via component to check out the upscaling capabilities of those Anchor Bay chips. My Kuro's been calibrated and thus far I couldn't be happier with Pioneer's high end/ mid range HT components. I'm no loyal fan of any one particular brand, but I am seeing a trend towards Pioneer at the moment for myself anyway. Well enough rambling from me......
post #283 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

ok, here's a start for you.

It's linked on the first page four posts down.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17000858

Manuals, drawings, Protocols,
MCACC Software/Manual, CAD Drawings

140W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, .09% THD @ 8 ohms, All Channels Driven)
SC-25
DACs:
Wolfson WM8740 192 kHz / 24-bit DAC
ADC:
Burr Brown 192 kHz / 24-bit

Manuals
SC-25
SC-27

MCACC
MCACC Manual
MCACC Software (2.2)

CAD Drawings;
SC-25 and SC-27

IR and Hex Codes
SC-25 and SC-27

Pronto Files:

Universal remote codes:
.MXF files

.MXF files
RS232 Protocal Codes:
SC-25 and SC-27

Home Electronics Custom Install
Custom Install Files

HGM Updates and Procedures:
SC-27
SC-25

SC-27 back panel:

SC-25 Back Panel

Generic link to files

What took so long?.....
post #284 of 5255 Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

No one asked me?

post #285 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Differences between the SC-25 and SC-27

Remote control
page 15 SC-25
page 12 SC-27

The procedure for setting the receiver operation
mode differs for the remote controls included with
the SC-27 and SC-25. For the SC-27’s remote control,
set the remote control operation selector switch to
RECEIVER. For the SC-25’s remote control, press the
button. When “set the remote control to
the receiver operation mode” is indicated in these
instructions, use the respective procedure described
above.(page 45)

Power:
770 W (SC-27)/700 W (SC-25)

THX Certicfication
SC-27 THX Ultra2 Plus
SC-25 THX Select2 Plus

Audio Input
Coaxial digital audio inputs (x3 (SC-27), x2 (SC-25))

HIBITSMP SC-25 only:
Creates a wider dynamic range with
digital sources like CDs or DVDs
(Smoother, more delicate musical
expression can be achieved by
requantizing 16 bit PCM or 20 bit
compressed audio signals to 24 bits)

SC-27 only:
Zone2 component out

SRC (Sampling Rate Converter)
(SC-27 only)
The SC-27 is designed for jitterless high sound quality
thanks to the combination of the SRC and a high
precision clock system.
The SRC function expands the dynamic range and
frequency bandwidth for digital audio signals. (PCM 15-
bit or compressed 20-bit audio signals are converted to
24 bits, increasing the sampling frequency for data
processing to achieve smoother, more delicate musical
expression.)
There is no setting to turn the SRC function on or off; the
SRC function is activated in all modes other than Pure
Direct with an analog input and Multi channel analog
input.

Precision Distance (SC-27 only) – Fine-adjusting the positions of
the speakers (page 117)

NOTES:
Dacs are the same:
SC-27 -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8740 DAC
SC-25 -192 kHz / 24-bit DAC Wolfson WM8740 DAC

Both have Multi channel PQLS over HDMI

Not verified, but if it's the same as the SC-07, the SC-27
The SRC Chip is the SRC4190DB sample rate convertor
Description:
SRC4190 ACTIVE 3 - 3.6 -125 212 H/W 128 I2S, R, L, TDM 2 28SSOP 4.50 | 1ku 192kHz Stereo Asynchronous Sample Rate

Also, IMO, because the SC-25 is not Ultra 2 Plus certified (Select2 Plus) doesnt mean it couldn't pass.. only that it wasn't sent for Ultra2 Plus certification.
Popular belief is the AMP sections are identical.

If you see errors or see things that need added, please let me know:

post #286 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice, CHP_VR. (Where do you get the patience? )

One (very) small suggestion: It might be clearer if Precision Distance were marked SC-27 only. It's under that heading, but the heading is easy to miss.
post #287 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Done. Thanks MacFan!

post #288 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM

I've been reading this thread and looking at the SC-27 for a couple days now, and it looks like a REALLY nice receiver. Would this AVR work well with the following setup?:

TV: Pioneer 5080
Cable: TBD
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S300
Games: XBox 360 w/HD-DVD; Nintendo Wii; Nintendo NES
Speakers:
- Front: 2x Klipsch KG 5.5
- Center: 1x Klipsch KG 2.5
- Surround: 2x Klipsch KG 2.5 (soon to be 4x)
- Subwoofer: none yet!
Computer: PC input from desktop
CD-player: TBD, will be separate deck (not using DVD player)

I'm also considering a second zone in another section for music listening. I haven't selected speakers or a CD player for it yet though...

Thanks for the advice!
post #289 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM

I heard on another thread here on AVSForum that SC-25/27 does not perform any upscaling to 1080p for HDMI/digital input, is that true?
post #290 of 5255 Old 10-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 View Post

I heard on another thread here on AVSForum that SC-25/27 does not perform any upscaling to 1080p for HDMI/digital input, is that true?

Yes it's true, I think I've read that Pioneer has decided to leave pure HDMI signals alone as to not interfere with it's processing (which I agree with). If you really want or need the receiver to upscale, just run component cable instead of HDMI.
post #291 of 5255 Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 View Post

Quote:

Yes it's true, I think I've read that Pioneer has decided to leave pure HDMI signals alone as to not interfere with it's processing (which I agree with). If you really want or need the receiver to upscale, just run component cable instead of HDMI.

It's a redundant function anyway, as most components and all HD TVs upscale if necessary.
post #292 of 5255 Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Great to hear that you like your new 27. I am on the verge of buying one. The bottom shelf of my rack is really 17" deep. (Bello rack, open in the back. Front edge of bottom shelf back to the center pier in back is 17") How far is it from the front edge of the front feet of the 27 to the back, including the rear connectors? I.e., would it fit on a shelf 17" deep if I put the front edges of the front feet right out on the edge of the shelf? I'm betting it would. It is just over 18" deep, says Pioneeer, and I'll bet it's more than 1" from the front of the front feet to the front-most surface, which is probably those big knobs on the front. So probably under 17" from front edge of front feet to the back of the rear connectors- ~16.5" is my guess.

Could you measure this please. Much appreciated if you can. All I really need is the distance from the front edge of the front feet to the front-most surface of the unit, probably the knobs. I can then deduct that from 18" and see how much space it needs from the front of the front feet on back.

Quote:

post #293 of 5255 Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

Great to hear that you like your new 27. I am on the verge of buying one. The bottom shelf of my rack is really 17" deep. (Bello rack, open in the back. Front edge of bottom shelf back to the center pier in back is 17") How far is it from the front edge of the front feet of the 27 to the back, including the rear connectors? I.e., would it fit on a shelf 17" deep if I put the front edges of the front feet right out on the edge of the shelf? I'm betting it would. It is just over 18" deep, says Pioneeer, and I'll bet it's more than 1" from the front of the front feet to the front-most surface, which is probably those big knobs on the front. So probably under 17" from front edge of front feet to the back of the rear connectors- ~16.5" is my guess.

Could you measure this please. Much appreciated if you can. All I really need is the distance from the front edge of the front feet to the front-most surface of the unit, probably the knobs. I can then deduct that from 18" and see how much space it needs from the front of the front feet on back.

Cad Drawings

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17094003

Millimeter to inch converter

post #294 of 5255 Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post

Here is a link of how to upgrade the firmware of a SC 25/27 9540

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...STRUCTIONS.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had success in updating firmware using a Mac and OSX ?
post #295 of 5255 Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM

I just purchased a SC-25 and will be installing it in a cabinet that has just the front open. There will be 2" clearence on each side, and 3" on the top.

Should I install a thermostat controlled fan in the back of the cabinet?

TIA
post #296 of 5255 Old 10-03-2009, 06:00 AM

I would for sure, there is not much breathing room there at all! JMO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfb73 View Post

I just purchased a SC-25 and will be installing it in a cabinet that has just the front open. There will be 2" clearence on each side, and 3" on the top.

Should I install a thermostat controlled fan in the back of the cabinet?

TIA

post #297 of 5255 Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM

I just upgraded my firmware on my sc27, everything went very smooth..
post #298 of 5255 Old 10-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primopup View Post

I just upgraded my firmware on my sc27, everything went very smooth..

Its good to hear, because I have to do mine on Monday.
post #299 of 5255 Old 10-04-2009, 06:29 AM

Make sure that you follow the directions on Pioneers Website.
It got confusing at one point though, but it was only because of the up and down, left to right clicks on the remote, to find out what the receivers IP was, once i had it, i typed it into the web browser, http://212.25.241.2 <- example and i was there, and connected.
The whole process took about 5 minns..
Here is the results, excuse the room, everything is being re-plastered to make a dedicated Home Theater Room, 18 x 25 and have sound proofed the room.. I'll post a pic when its all done.

http://www.arkadiasystems.us/tg/TopGun.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA INFERNO View Post

Its good to hear, because I have to do mine on Monday.

post #300 of 5255 Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to update my system from a non-HDMI Onkyo AVR to an HDMI unit possibly the SC-27.

I have lurked and posted here some but am still pretty noobish.

I just read every reply in this post and have a speaker compatibility question on the ohm issue.

Could you guys look at my speaker specs in my signature and tell me if there is a problem?

Thanks

Thanks, 2therock

My Setup

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page