Pioneer SC-25 and SC-27 Receiver Thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #5341 of 5364 Old 12-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the SC-25 can pass an HDMI signal greater than 1080P? Will 3D or 4K signals pass through correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5364 Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
I don't think so... I do not recall the circuitry, but I think the buffers do not have the bandwidth. That said, this question has come up before, so you might search this thread. The 25/27 predate 4K by quite a bit so there may not be a lot of info.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5343 of 5364 Old 03-08-2016, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 26
a few questions regarding the sc-25

1.) just so that I can test it out, which mode can I use in order to get 2.1 , so that I can test with music

2.) Because of the 24 bit limitations on flac on the receiver, I used plex on my ps3 to play 24 bit flac files, however, I noticed a difference in volume and quality. Music to me, sounds better and louder (at the same volume level) when playing it through the receivers HMG. is this normal? From what I remember they were both in stereo mode. However, when using plex, it shows as Stereo on the display, but not when in HMG, as that shows the title of the song. But i do see only the 2 front channels lit up on the top left hand side of the receivers screen.

post #5344 of 5364 Old 03-08-2016, 07:58 PM

1) Stereo.

2) I don't use HMG but seems clear the signal is being processed differently, like different EQ settings. Check the manual.
skads_187 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5345 of 5364 Old 03-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
1) Stereo.

2) I don't use HMG but seems clear the signal is being processed differently, like different EQ settings. Check the manual.
Thanks, thing is, and maybe I need to double check this, stereo doesnt use my sub, I thought stereo is 2.0 only?
post #5346 of 5364 Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 AM

Hmmm... I am honestly not sure at this point and no longer have the SC-27 in my system. I did not use the sub output after some initial testing (used an external crossover) but I thought stereo still used bass management. The manual should say or hopefully someone will chime in.
skads_187 likes this.

post #5347 of 5364 Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by skads_187 View Post
Thanks, thing is, and maybe I need to double check this, stereo doesnt use my sub, I thought stereo is 2.0 only?
Go into "System Setup/Manual SP Setup/Speaker Setting/SW" and set the subwoofer to "PLUS" and it will play with a stereo signal. You may or may not like it though.
skads_187 likes this.

post #5348 of 5364 Old 03-10-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Go into "System Setup/Manual SP Setup/Speaker Setting/SW" and set the subwoofer to "PLUS" and it will play with a stereo signal. You may or may not like it though.
Thanks , I was just coming back to post the same thing, I was able to find the answer last night, havent tested it though, I have to agree, I most likely will not like it, but wanted to try it out for fun.
post #5349 of 5364 Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If u like bass in your music the PLUS will be nice if your subwoofer is great u will see a difference i dont use the plus in my setup as use my SC27 for my theather room and it becomes to boommy in there. But music is nice with it for me
post #5350 of 5364 Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 AM

Got another question, do you know what mode the receiver is in when streaming network audio?
I dont see anything on the screen. is it in "Direct" Mode?
post #5351 of 5364 Old 04-08-2016, 08:58 AM

Just to add, all I see on the screen is Digital and S.RTRV and at the bottom left Stereo and SP->A
post #5352 of 5364 Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there any type of Atmos or like the receiver can do on speaker b without an Atmos receiver?
I'm in the process of adding 4 surrounds but won't get my Atmos capable receiver until later.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #5353 of 5364 Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM

No. You have to have the decoder. You can try powering the extra speakers off Zone B just for fun, of course, but it would be pretty limited and probably a pain to set up.

post #5354 of 5364 Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I have a bit of a quirky setup issue with my SC-27 that I'm wondering if there's a solution to. At the risk of oversharing, I'm going to try and include a lot of details so that there hopefully won't be a million Q&A posts to follow.

I have a DirecTV HR-54 Genie connected to HDMI 1 input. The HDMI output goes to my XBR75X940D TV and connects on HDMI Input 1. Since the "best" that this connection will carry, the HDMI Input on the TV is set to Standard Mode.

I have the new Sony UBD-X800 4K DVD player. I've connected HDMI Output 1 to HDMI Input 3 on the TV and the input is set to Enhanced Mode. I've configured the X800 to output audio on HDMI Output 2 and have this connected to HDMI Input 2 on the AVR.

I have an Xbox One S connected to HDMI Input 4 on the TV and the input is set to Enhanced Mode.

I have a TOSLINK cable connected from the Optical Audio Out of the TV back to the AVR since A) the TV has built-in apps that need audio output and B) the Xbox One S has only one HDMI out and audio has to go through the TV.

According to the manual for the SC-27, the AVR is supposed to auto-detect audio input starting with HDMI and "progressing" toward optical, then on to analog, stopping at the first one it finds.

I'm finding that, when I attempt to watch something from the X800, it picks up the audio input of the TOSLINK and almost never seems to select the HDMI input from the X800 directly.

Given the Surround Decoding Capabilities of this receiver, am I losing anything by inserting the audio via TOSLINK and not via HDMI? Should I be working to get this squared away? -IS- there a fix? The HDMI 1 input handles audio AND video from the DTV box. The HDMI 2 input handles audio only. And the AVR doesn't seem to recognize this when switching devices.
post #5355 of 5364 Old 03-13-2017, 07:11 AM

The new player uses the newer HDMI standard so this may be a handshaking issue. Actually it may be a handshaking issue regardless; HDMI handshaking has always been a little flaky, and was on my SC-27 as well (I am using a different processor now, though am seriously considering the X800 as well). And of course the SC-27 knows nothing about 4K or HDR...

TOSLINK passes only 5.1, not 7.1 or anything higher, so if you have a 5.1 system then TOSLINK should work fine. If not, you'll have to figure out a work-around or some sort of fix. Which may mean a new AVR that can handle HDMI 2 and ARC so you can plug everything into it...

post #5356 of 5364 Old 03-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Thanks for the thoughts. It could be handshaking. I've noticed that I can "force" the input to that of the X800 and everything is fine. If I pause the content for any period, however, it seems to "timeout" and switch over to the TOSLINK input instead.

My setup is 5.1, so the TOSLINK sounds like all I actually need anyhow. Maybe I'll just set the X800 back to using the "AUTO" setting for audio out and let the optical cable carry the audio. Much less quirky that way, anyhow.

If I make an AVR change, I'll be going with the top-end Elite receiver this time around to get ALL of the bells and whistles. But, that isn't happening any time soon. So, making this work acceptably for now is the priority.
post #5357 of 5364 Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM

I have noticed from time to time clipping coming from my rear side QS8's I believe its the side ones. It doesn't happen very often but it happens.
I am running a Pioneer SC-27 to my Center Channel and my four QS8. The amp is rated at 140 watts a channel. My front M80 towers i have hooked up to a separate amp so they are fine. 140 watts is more than enough for these speakers as they max at 400 watts right? I have a 7.1 set up and I think I am hearing the clipping coming from the side QS8's. Anyone have a ideal what could be causing this? I have checked the wiring and everything is good. My M80 towers fronts were clipping time to time before I purchased a separate amp ADCOM 5500 for them and I have never heard them clip since. Do you think I need a separate amp for the remaining 5 speakers in my set up?

I only notice this when watching. 7.1 Sound Tracks like last Weekend on Rogue One.
The Pioneer should be able to handle this right? I dont know why my receiver is struggling with this. Has anyone else experienced this on their SC-27? All the Surround Sound Speakers and Center Channel are 8 ohm speakers too.
post #5358 of 5364 Old 04-19-2017, 04:30 PM

Doesn't sound right... Do you have a sub and if so where is the crossover set? Those QS8's do not go very low so I'd probably set a little higher crossover than the standard 80 Hz, probably around 100 Hz. It may be you are simply overdriving the speakers on the low end. You could also temporarily switch the Adcom to the surrounds and see if that fixes the clipping.

HTH - Don

post #5359 of 5364 Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound right... Do you have a sub and if so where is the crossover set? Those QS8's do not go very low so I'd probably set a little higher crossover than the standard 80 Hz, probably around 100 Hz. It may be you are simply overdriving the speakers on the low end. You could also temporarily switch the Adcom to the surrounds and see if that fixes the clipping.

HTH - Don
I do have a sub. I believe it is set to 80 Hz on the sub and on Plus on the Pioneer Elite SC-27 Setting. Its hard to replicate the clipping nor do I want to but it could also be coming from the Center Channel.
I just cant see it clipping with only the 5 speakers plugged in. I hope it is not my M80's again as that is why I have the ADCOM connected to them. I though I solved this problem years ago with the M80's with the separate amp.
Only happens on 7.1 movie audio cranked up loud. I like it at -9.5 I wonder if it could be a speaker wire issue.(I though this last time when it was clipping with my M80's hooked up to my SC-27 but it was clipping a whole lot more back then). I might just bite the bullet and buy a solid 5 channel amp.
post #5360 of 5364 Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Really unlikely it is a speaker wire issue. It would have to be awfully bad to have any significant difference on the AVR's output level.

Plus sends all LF and LFE to any speakers called "large" in your setup. I would not do that as the sub generally does a far better job in terms of output and distortion compared to other speakers, and setting them to "small" means less power from the AVR. That said, one of the issues with Pioneer AVRs is that they use a global crossover for all speakers. If your mains are good to 60 Hz but satellites only to 100 Hz you cannot set them independently.

All your surrounds/rears/center should be set to "small". I would double-check that first. Sending LF energy to them could definitely be a problem.

Next time it happens try to narrow down exactly which speakers are clipping. If it is the mains (L/R), set them to small and do not use "plus". If the center or surrounds/rears, try raising the crossover to 90 or 100 Hz and play the scene again to see if that fixes it. That will narrow down the problem.

Sidenote: Since you are using an external amp for the L/R speakers, you could get around the Pioneer global crossover issue by using an external crossover like a miniDSP or dbx 223xs between the AVR and amp. You could set them to "large" and set the external crossover to 60 or 80 Hz, and then set the AVR's crossover to 90 or 100 Hz. That would better suit your QS8's.

HTH - Don

post #5361 of 5364 Old 04-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Really unlikely it is a speaker wire issue. It would have to be awfully bad to have any significant difference on the AVR's output level.

Plus sends all LF and LFE to any speakers called "large" in your setup. I would not do that as the sub generally does a far better job in terms of output and distortion compared to other speakers, and setting them to "small" means less power from the AVR. That said, one of the issues with Pioneer AVRs is that they use a global crossover for all speakers. If your mains are good to 60 Hz but satellites only to 100 Hz you cannot set them independently.

All your surrounds/rears/center should be set to "small". I would double-check that first. Sending LF energy to them could definitely be a problem.

Next time it happens try to narrow down exactly which speakers are clipping. If it is the mains (L/R), set them to small and do not use "plus". If the center or surrounds/rears, try raising the crossover to 90 or 100 Hz and play the scene again to see if that fixes it. That will narrow down the problem.

Sidenote: Since you are using an external amp for the L/R speakers, you could get around the Pioneer global crossover issue by using an external crossover like a miniDSP or dbx 223xs between the AVR and amp. You could set them to "large" and set the external crossover to 60 or 80 Hz, and then set the AVR's crossover to 90 or 100 Hz. That would better suit your QS8's.

HTH - Don
Don thank you for the great information. I will double check all my surrounds and center are set to "Small" (I think they are off the top of my head but I will double check). I believe at some point I didn't have the Sub set to "Plus" before and then I tried it a few times and like the punch it gave me. I will turn that off or make sure it is off.
post #5362 of 5364 Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 PM

Don,

On a unrelated question. Assuming none of this works and I still have a issues. I go ahead and add a second amp and use the Pioneer SC-27 as a complete Pre-out at that point will I be able to plug two (2) Adcom amps and this receiver, bluray player, sub, projector on the same circuit with no issues. Currently I have it all plugged into my power conditioner on the same circuit and have never blown a breaker.
So everything I have now but I would be adding another amp (5x150watts) New amp would be another ADCOM 7500.??
post #5363 of 5364 Old 04-20-2017, 05:32 PM

Assuming the in-rush current at turn-on doesn't trip a breaker my guess is you'll be fine. Average power is generally fairly low, a small fraction of the maximum output, so it is unlikely you'll approach the limits of the circuit. A standard 15 A circuit is rated for about 120 V * 15 A = 1800 W and will support higher short-term peaks. That said, a couple of Adcom 7500's will require almost double the wall rating, but again all channels max'd out is extremely unlikely. I have a bunch of stuff, including a pair of fairly hefty amplifiers, plugged into a 20 A line and have never blown a breaker despite having power-hungry 4-ohm speakers (Magnepans) all the way around (and four subs, but not all on the same circuit).

I would not plug the power amps into the power conditioner. They shouldn't need it and a lot of power conditioners are the choke point in power delivery from the wall.

You could have an electrician run another circuit to the room. Could be painful depending upon how hard it is to fish the line. And you may introduce a ground loop.

Hopefully you won't need the amp but if you (think you) do try it and see.

post #5364 of 5364 Old 04-21-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:

HTH - Don

Don,

Ok I checked it out last night I could not get it to duplicate the clipping playing some tracks. But the setting of the L/R speakers is on LARGE all the other speakers were set to Small. The crossover is set to 80 Hz (As you said that means all speakers are on 80 Hz). Sub was on Plus I changed this to Sub "Yes" so no more plus. Being that I have had a ADCOM 5500 amp to the L/R it should not have been them clipping at all even with the L/R set to "LARGE" (350 watts X 2 going to them). So that now leaves me back the the remaining 5 speakers which were all set to small. (Not sure if the PLUS setting would affected them or have no barring on them at all). I do like your ideal of the external cross over. If I have to add a separate amp I will. Just seems strange with all the setting in the receiver being correct. Setting the L/R to large should have no affect on them correct. My crossover setting choices are 50 Hz, 80 Hz, 100 Hz, 150 Hz, 200 Hz I beleive. There is also the THX setting attached which I have set to Loudness Plus "ON" SB SP Position "ON", THX Ultra 2 SW "Yes" BGC OFF.

I never have been happy either with my sub in my room I have moved it around a few time but I have though about putting a second sub in the room maybe the rear or a second one up front. My Receiver is only 7.1 not a 7.2 I know I can add a Splitter in there for two subs but hows is that going to work when I go to the MCACC to system to run the set up as the whole on screen display will show nothing on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SC-27 THX setting.pdf (97.3 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page