Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #631 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ran the UPS tracking number for my SC-25, and it's in Jacksonville, FL. It looks like I'll definitely have it some time tomorrow. I can't wait.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

For the HDMI control, on your display, goto the HOME MENU, OPTION, input setting and make sure your HDMI Control is on the right input setting...(page 78 of your 5020 manual)
You can also test the setting there from your display to verify HDMI Control is working.

Now that's the odd thing I've noticed. I've been through the settings over and over. When I go to the Kuro's menu and I see this screen to test function, everythings blocked and it say's something to the extent of "Current status does not allow selection and adjustment" What status !!!!! lol,
post #633 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I've figured out the culprit. I called Pioneer and they were as clueless as I, they suggested unhooking the 27 and trying the 51FD straight to the Kuro to see if that helped with "Freeing-up" the Kurolink menu. Before I started getting that deep into it I decided to try a couple of other things.

I had my DVR (Vz Fios TV)connected to HDMI port 4 on the back of the Kuro and SC-27 in HDMI port 5. Main reason being my wife just wants to turn the TV on and be done with it, I kinda liked it because it's less wear and tear on the 27 for normal television viewing (wouldn't you agree??, or am I being overly cautious??) Anyway, as soon as I disconnected the Fios box everythings peachey... HDMI control, PQLS all functioning as they should. I knew it was all working properly before I hooked up that DVR a week ago ...

So now what are my options as far as still being able to hook the DVR up to the Kuro without going through the HDMI port and AVR for everyday use. I already have the components from the DVR going to the AVR for upscaling... Would my only option be to reverse the setup and run the component out to the Kuro and HDMI to the AVR and if I do chose that route wouldn't I be nullifying the upscaling feature of the AVR? Not really a big deal as the DVR upscales to 1080i, but I'm just trying to put every feature to use !!!
post #634 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post

Well, I've figured out the culprit. I called Pioneer and they were as clueless as I, they suggested unhooking the 27 and trying the 51FD straight to the Kuro to see if that helped with "Freeing-up" the Kurolink menu. Before I started getting that deep into it I decided to try a couple of other things.

I had my DVR (Vz Fios TV)connected to HDMI port 4 on the back of the Kuro and SC-27 in HDMI port 5. Main reason being my wife just wants to turn the TV on and be done with it, I kinda liked it because it's less wear and tear on the 27 for normal television viewing (wouldn't you agree??, or am I being overly cautious??) Anyway, as soon as I disconnected the Fios box everythings peachey... HDMI control, PQLS all functioning as they should. I knew it was all working properly before I hooked up that DVR a week ago ...

So now what are my options as far as still being able to hook the DVR up to the Kuro without going through the HDMI port and AVR for everyday use. I already have the components from the DVR going to the AVR for upscaling... Would my only option be to reverse the setup and run the component out to the Kuro and HDMI to the AVR and if I do chose that route wouldn't I be nullifying the upscaling feature of the AVR? Not really a big deal as the DVR upscales to 1080i, but I'm just trying to put every feature to use !!!

Great! Progress at last!

I'd run component from the FIOS DVR directly to your Kuro. The panel has outstanding upscaling capabilities on it's own, at least as good if not better than the AVR's and certainly better than the FIOS box. I'd bypass both and let the Kuro do all the video processing.

As far as using all the features is concerned, you'll not be using one or the other's processing (Kuro or SC-27) either way, so it's a trade.
post #635 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
TweakerInWA,

Glad you got the issue resolved.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #636 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

If I do run both component to the Kuro and HDMI to the 27 from the DVR, I'm assuming I shouldn't run into the same issue because I've removed the HDMI conflict that was occuring with the Kuro? Or is it one of those try it out and see what happens...

As far as the HDMI conflict, I would think they should put that in the manual as a trouble shooting tip. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ran into that issue...

UPDATE: Well I just ran components to the Kuro and HDMI to the 27 from the DVR, once again it disables the Kurolink So I guess it's either forget about Kurolink or run the 27 all the time to watch TV ? Any other ideas guy's?? Am I missing something stupid?? What's the point of even having a feature like Kurolink if adding one piece of equipment to the equation that's not a Pioneer disables it....eeerrrrrrr Frustrating to say the least..
post #637 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

UPDATE: Well I just ran components to the Kuro and HDMI to the 27 from the DVR, once again it disables the Kurolink So I guess it's either forget about Kurolink or run the 27 all the time to watch TV ? Any other ideas guy's?? Am I missing something stupid?? What's the point of even having a feature like Kurolink if adding one piece of equipment to the equation that's not a Pioneer disables it....eeerrrrrrr Frustrating to say the least..

Tweaker, I wonder if you might be overlooking the obvious? Maybe it's not the Pioneer but the fios stb. It's possible that, like other stbs, it is not designed to be connected by HDMI and analog at the same time. Have you tried running ONLY HDMI or ONLY component?

Hope you find some way to make it work.
John
post #638 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoganj1 View Post

Tweaker, I wonder if you might be overlooking the obvious? Maybe it's not the Pioneer but the fios stb. It's possible that, like other stbs, it is not designed to be connected by HDMI and analog at the same time. Have you tried running ONLY HDMI or ONLY component?

Hope you find some way to make it work.
John

It's the HDMI on the STB for sure. I can run component to the AVR or Kuro and Kurolink stays functional. The minute I hook an HDMI cable from the STB to either the 27 or Kuro I lose it. So maybe it's an issue with the HDMI cable that came with the FIOS DVR, possibly not being 1.3 compliant ?? Just grasping at straws... The STB can output both via HDMI and component simultaneously, it does that job just fine, the only problem being it disables Kurolink and PQLS functionality due to some kind of HDMI issue...I guess I'll pick up an HDMI cable tomorrow and see if that fixes it, if not, no Kurolink /PQLS for me as I would prefer not running the AVR 24/7 just to watch TV. No biggie, just nice knowing it works.....
post #639 of 5270 Old 11-12-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I do run both component to the Kuro and HDMI to the 27 from the DVR, I'm assuming I shouldn't run into the same issue because I've removed the HDMI conflict that was occuring with the Kuro? Or is it one of those try it out and see what happens...

As far as the HDMI conflict, I would think they should put that in the manual as a trouble shooting tip. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ran into that issue...

I haven't been following every word of this discussion, but why wouldn't you run your receiver all the time when you're watching TV? It won't hurt anything. My system isn't set up in a way that I can readily use it without the receiver being on.

Steve

post #640 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the HDMI on the STB for sure. I can run component to the AVR or Kuro and Kurolink stays functional. The minute I hook an HDMI cable from the STB to either the 27 or Kuro I lose it. So maybe it's an issue with the HDMI cable that came with the FIOS DVR, possibly not being 1.3 compliant ?? Just grasping at straws... The STB can output both via HDMI and component simultaneously, it does that job just fine, the only problem being it disables Kurolink and PQLS functionality due to some kind of HDMI issue...I guess I'll pick up an HDMI cable tomorrow and see if that fixes it, if not, no Kurolink /PQLS for me as I would prefer not running the AVR 24/7 just to watch TV. No biggie, just nice knowing it works.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post

I haven't been following every word of this discussion, but why wouldn't you run your receiver all the time when you're watching TV? It won't hurt anything...

I agree with fireman325, I'd just run the SC-27 all the time. Receivers can keep going for decades, no need to worry about wear and tear. You'll probably want a new one before your SC-27 wears out.

However, if you don't want to do that, all you really need is a component connection from the FIOS DVR to the Kuro, an analog audio connection from the DVR to the panel, and a digital audio connection from the DVR to your SC-27. Then you can switch between the TV's audio and the AVR's audio at will. You'd use the same video connection no matter which audio source you are using. You may have to remember to mute the TV when using the AVR, but that shouldn't be too big a deal. IIRC, in some models Kurolink will shut down the TV's audio automatically when the AVR is on.

That would let you continue to enjoy the benefits of Kurolink when you need it for POLS, etc.
post #641 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

My SC-25 is supposed to be delivered by UPS today so I'm sitting waiting patiently for it to show up. I hope Ace Ventura isn't on the delivery truck today.

Steve

post #642 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

TweakerInWA,
One last suggestion.. have you reset your FIOS and SC-27 since making all these changes?
- sometimes that clears a lot junk that didn't properly set right

post #643 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Hey Steve,
Have a blast with the 25! It's been a month for me and I'm still learning. I am also in wait for a new toy..Sammy 46" LED:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8000_46_LED_TV

Amazon called me and said they got it in FIVE DAYS EARLY (!!), so I'm working from home today.

On another matter, I notice one problem with my rig. Because the AVR and the PS3 are in the same cabinet in my credenza, the PS3's fan goes on and is a bit loud. I noticed you resolved the same issue with a fan in your enclosure.

What fan did you use and does it still resolve the PS3's fan coming on?
scott
post #644 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frases View Post

Hey Steve,
Have a blast with the 25! It's been a month for me and I'm still learning. I am also in wait for a new toy..Sammy 46" LED:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...8000_46_LED_TV

Amazon called me and said they got it in FIVE DAYS EARLY (!!), so I'm working from home today.

On another matter, I notice one problem with my rig. Because the AVR and the PS3 are in the same cabinet in my credenza, the PS3's fan goes on and is a bit loud. I noticed you resolved the same issue with a fan in your enclosure.

What fan did you use and does it still resolve the PS3's fan coming on?
scott

The fan in the pic in my HT gallery is not what I'm using any more. That fan worked well enough, but running 24/7 it finally started making a terrible racket, like maybe a bearing or something was going out on it. I replaced it with this setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2617wt_941

I have to cut a section out of the back of my ET center today so the new receiver will fit (it's too long front to back), and when I do I'm going to get these mounted up somehow so they're not just sitting behind the PS3. I have't been able to find that sweet spot yet where they shut all the way off when my system is off, but I'm pretty close. They run all the time, but now when I shut off the PS3, I can hear them louder than usual due to the extra heat, and after a few minutes they slow back down. Anyway, the PS3 fan still runs, but it doesn't go into the jet-engine speed which is good. Between these fans, and keeping my PS3's fan at a slower speed, it's not nearly as loud as it was before. I should also point out that I have a model of PS3 that was specifically known for how loud the fans run in it (80GB backward compatible model that came in the MGS4 bundle).

Steve

post #645 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the input Steve. I was also considering a USB powered notebook cooler that I'd plug into the PS3, as it would not require an outlet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-NOTEBOOK-LAP...ht_2194wt_1125

Heck..s'only ten bux, too!
post #646 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frases View Post

Interesting. Thanks for the input Steve. I was also considering a USB powered notebook cooler that I'd plug into the PS3, as it would not require an outlet:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-NOTEBOOK-LAP...ht_2194wt_1125

Heck..s'only ten bux, too!

I tried one of those, but it didn't move enough air to really benefit me. But again, I have a very hot running PS3. You might have better luck depending on which model of PS3 you have.

Steve

post #647 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

You may want to look here as well..
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556082224.html
They have configurations and styles in single, dual, and triple 120mm fans with thermostat control.
I've been using one for over a now to keep my Directv box cool, no problems.

post #648 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 AM

Hi,

I just received my SC-27 this Tuesday, and I'm still reading through manual and posts here, but right now I'm having a weird issue, every morning (or if I'm not using the receiver for longer period of time), the receiver wouldn't respond to remote control, I have to walk up to receiver and press power button on front panel to wake it up first, then I can operate it with remote normally.

I have tried turn off kuro link, and right now I don't have anything else other than CD player connect to it (through optical).

I'd appreciate any suggestion!!

Thanks
post #649 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM

thanks guys. I happen to have the Slim, so we'll see how it goes. I'll check back when have some results.
post #650 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
i've been doing a little research on the elite receivers as i've always liked pioneer receivers (i currently own a vsx816). a couple questions: i've looked up some pricing on the internet - why isn't the sc-05 cheaper than the sc-25? also, why the jump in price over the vsx23 - is it primarily the ICE amp?
post #651 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 View Post

Hi,

I just received my SC-27 this Tuesday, and I'm still reading through manual and posts here, but right now I'm having a weird issue, every morning (or if I'm not using the receiver for longer period of time), the receiver wouldn't respond to remote control, I have to walk up to receiver and press power button on front panel to wake it up first, then I can operate it with remote normally.

I have tried turn off kuro link, and right now I don't have anything else other than CD player connect to it (through optical).

I'd appreciate any suggestion!!

Thanks

Make sure to slide the function switch on the remote control to "Receiver" rather than "Source".
post #652 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 02:50 PM

I am looking for a cost effective solution to have an AV system that has the ability for Wi Fi connection to Internet for video and audio streaming (Youtube, Netflix, Int. Radio/Pandora etc). I have been searching around for sometime, and need help on this forum for advice. I like the VSX-23 but it does not offer networking capability. The SC-25 has it though it does not support Pandora according to product brochure (someone please comment on this on this forum as to how SC-25 work performs) but costs a lot more(~$500). There are a few latest blue ray disc players that offer such capability for less than $250. Still, there are some digital media receivers you can buy to do that with your existing AV system.

My questions are: which route would be the best way to do it? What trade-off will it be if you go for blue ray disc player with VSX-23 vs SC-25? What trade-off will it be if you just buy a digital media receiver (I have an 6 years old Yammy 5.1 100 watts @ 8 ohm 0.06% THD, and 5.1 external anal. inputs). My DVD is also the same age. I do not listen to loud music, so high power receivere amp is not critical to me, though I do have a titanic Mark III subwoofer that can handle loud movie sound if needed to. TIA
post #653 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM

Should speakers be set to Small or Large with MCACC with only a LCR set up with no sub??
post #654 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboy View Post

Make sure to slide the function switch on the remote control to "Receiver" rather than "Source".

Thanks, yes the switch is at Receiver side. I haven't attempted to use remote to control other components yet. and as I said, as soon as I power on the receiver on the front panel, the remote will work the way it suppose to do, I can switch the input, turn on and off the receiver with no problem, just don't know why it would stop responding after let it off overnight.
post #655 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

Should speakers be set to Small or Large with MCACC with only a LCR set up with no sub??

What did MCACC set them as? I know if your running a 5.1 setup according to THX strandards you should set them as small ( I know people disagree as they keep them as "Large", but to each his own ).
I would think that because you have no sub in the equation that you would want to keep them as large as your not redirecting the bottom end of the sound field or utilizing LFE...I also think MCACC would set them as large (if they are) if you were to run it considering it would only see your L/C/R speaker config... If I were you, I would have them set as large IMO...That is as long as they are not "Small" speakers... Sounds to me like you have a reason to go pick up a sub and two rear speakers !!!!
post #656 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

Large.

If you "tell" the receiver you have no sub, you'll have no choice. It will automatically change the front speakers to Large and won't let you change to Small. There must be a sub connected to set the mains to Small. IIRC, MCACC does this on it's own when it discovers there is no sub. The bass has to be sent somewhere, and with no sub, it must be directed to the main speakers, which the receiver can't do if they are Small.
post #657 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 03:58 PM

thank you sir
post #658 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 View Post

Thanks, yes the switch is at Receiver side. I haven't attempted to use remote to control other components yet. and as I said, as soon as I power on the receiver on the front panel, the remote will work the way it suppose to do, I can switch the input, turn on and off the receiver with no problem, just don't know why it would stop responding after let it off overnight.

Did you try resetting the receiver?
post #659 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It's finally here.

Steve

post #660 of 5270 Old 11-13-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member