Pioneer SC-25 and SC-27 Receiver Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Pioneer SC-25 and SC-27 Receiver Thread
cougs1's Avatar cougs1 08:01 AM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 View Post

I'd appreciated if you can pm me the place you bought and the price of your sc-27, I called a place in NY (its name starts as a number) the sales told me they don't have any sc-27 in stock...

Thanks

This store still has the sc 27 and will pm the info to you from work.

Coug

cougs1's Avatar cougs1 09:31 AM 11-19-2009
I just talked to Wendy the store owner (great person) and she said that my new pioneer sc 27 is out of the door on its way to me. I was surprised that they ship it that fast since I ordred it last night about 8 PM eastern time. I am excited! Now I have to prepare the new spot, read this forum again looking for set up recommendations given that I will use muti-room option in order to control audio/video in two rooms.

Cougs
yoshinoja's Avatar yoshinoja 11:58 AM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post

I need a little advice. I have a SC-25 using both HDMI outputs to my Panny 65V10. I have HDMI 1 on the TV configured to accept the BD output from the SC-25. I have HDMI 2 set to accept the Dish 722 feed. When I start the system up for the Dish feed (I use a Harmony 890 to control everything) the SC-25 will not play any sound from SD channels, but will play the sound for all HD channels. If I cycle through the inputs using the HDMI button on the SC-25 remote back to DISH everything work fine. Any Ideas?

I have a similar set up. My Harmony 880 still is a bit troublesome on the input side. The only way I have been able to do what you want is to use the 25 remote, hit the "receiver" button at the bottom and the "Input Select" buttons in the number section.
gorky's Avatar gorky 12:23 PM 11-19-2009
In the Secrets Review of the SC-27 the reviewer says you can turn off the MACCA to compare the sound. All I see are 6 presets that you can cycle through. How do you turn it off?
hdtheater's Avatar hdtheater 12:30 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

Question about Multi-Room Setup

I have read in the manual that only analog inputs are sent to the other zones. How are you getting HD signals sent to Zone 2 with these receivers?

Anyone?
uuu1234's Avatar uuu1234 12:53 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougs1 View Post

This store still has the sc 27 and will pm the info to you from work.

Coug

Got it, thank you very much, I'm going to give them a call soon.
yoshinoja's Avatar yoshinoja 04:02 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

Anyone?

The only work around would be to use one of the HDMI outs, because Zone 2 is component ( or composite I always get them confused) if you use the video dedicated to it.
hdtheater's Avatar hdtheater 04:18 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshinoja View Post

The only work around would be to use one of the HDMI outs, because Zone 2 is component ( or composite I always get them confused) if you use the video dedicated to it.


Do both HDMI outs output the same source at the same time?

I guess the right questions would be what all cables do I need to connect between a source and the SC-27 to get HD in Zone 1 and HD in Zone 2?
yoshinoja's Avatar yoshinoja 04:50 PM 11-19-2009
It's my understanding that HDMI outs output the same source at the same time. So if you wanted to play a different source at Zone 2 than the main you'd have to get something that would upscale the signal, like another HDMI capable avr in Zone 2. If you don't care if it is the same source you could use the HDMI out, but that opens the issue of how far away Zone 2 is from the SC. I've heard but not tested myself that if you stay within fifty feet your OK using some of the long HDMI cables available from monoprice or other distributors. If you get into longer lengths it may involve other cabling alternatives such as cat6 with signal repeaters and HDMI balins on each end. You would probably end up spending as much if not more than buying that other HDMI capable avr.
hdtheater's Avatar hdtheater 06:45 PM 11-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshinoja View Post

It's my understanding that HDMI outs output the same source at the same time. So if you wanted to play a different source at Zone 2 than the main you'd have to get something that would upscale the signal, like another HDMI capable avr in Zone 2. If you don't care if it is the same source you could use the HDMI out, but that opens the issue of how far away Zone 2 is from the SC. I've heard but not tested myself that if you stay within fifty feet your OK using some of the long HDMI cables available from monoprice or other distributors. If you get into longer lengths it may involve other cabling alternatives such as cat6 with signal repeaters and HDMI balins on each end. You would probably end up spending as much if not more than buying that other HDMI capable avr.

If I used component to Zone 2, would I need to hook the component cable from the source and if I went with stereo in zone 2 would I need to hookup the analog stereo jacks as well?

My goal is to have just a flat panel hanging on the wall in my game room. In all of it's HD goodness!
highnotefan's Avatar highnotefan 10:08 AM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuu1234 View Post

Got it, thank you very much, I'm going to give them a call soon.

Could I also get a PM with this info? Trying to find absolute best price on SC-27. Many thanks...
highnotefan's Avatar highnotefan 10:09 AM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougs1 View Post

I just talked to Wendy the store owner (great person) and she said that my new pioneer sc 27 is out of the door on its way to me. I was surprised that they ship it that fast since I ordred it last night about 8 PM eastern time. I am excited! Now I have to prepare the new spot, read this forum again looking for set up recommendations given that I will use muti-room option in order to control audio/video in two rooms.

Cougs

Could I also get a PM with this info? Trying to find absolute best price on SC-27. Many thanks...
saralee's Avatar saralee 11:17 AM 11-20-2009
Can someone let me know if the insulators (legs) of SC-25 be taken off? I have my eyes on a shelf but the height is 198mm and the SC-25 is 200mm high. Without the legs I can see the unit fit but would just like to verify this fact with someone who owns the unit already.

Thanks.
fireman325's Avatar fireman325 11:35 AM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post

Can someone let me know if the insulators (legs) of SC-25 be taken off? I have my eyes on a shelf but the height is 198mm and the SC-25 is 200mm high. Without the legs I can see the unit fit but would just like to verify this fact with someone who owns the unit already.

Thanks.

I recommend against that shelf. With any receiver it's a good idea to have at least 2 or 3 inches above it for ventilation. More would be even better.
eviltwincustoms's Avatar eviltwincustoms 12:43 PM 11-20-2009
I just ordered my SC-27 and will be shipped today. With Thanksgiving I am sure it wont arrive probably until next weekend.

I am excited to have another Pioneer Elite, after having my VSX-56TXI, I can only imagine how much better this receiver will sound with my speakers and the ICE amps.
yoshinoja's Avatar yoshinoja 02:17 PM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtheater View Post

If I used component to Zone 2, would I need to hook the component cable from the source and if I went with stereo in zone 2 would I need to hookup the analog stereo jacks as well?

My goal is to have just a flat panel hanging on the wall in my game room. In all of it's HD goodness!

Unfortunately it doesn't downscale a video signal only cross and upscale it, so you would have to connect componenent cables from the source to the SC then assign that input to Zone 2.

I have a similar situation. I have a flat panel in the kitchen that I want to hook up to the receiver. At the moment just an HD sat. box is hooked to it. In my media room is where the SC-25 resides. My plan is to run the HDMI2 out from it to that the kitchen TV if the run is short enough to maintain the signal. So if I'm watching a BD I can see it if I'm in the kitchen or the media room. My problem watching the same program on Dish in both areas now is that the DVR delay causes an echo when all speakers are played. It sounds like the Lou Gerhrig speech in Yankee Stadium.
hdtheater's Avatar hdtheater 02:52 PM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshinoja View Post

I have a similar situation. I have a flat panel in the kitchen that I want to hook up to the receiver. At the moment just an HD sat. box is hooked to it. In my media room is where the SC-25 resides. My plan is to run the HDMI2 out from it to that the kitchen TV if the run is short enough to maintain the signal. So if I'm watching a BD I can see it if I'm in the kitchen or the media room. My problem watching the same program on Dish in both areas now is that the DVR delay causes an echo when all speakers are played. It sounds like the Lou Gerhrig speech in Yankee Stadium.

Component is good enough. What kills me is the DRM that some sources will not allow HDMI and component to run continuously. I know my PS3 has that problem. Don't know about D*.
uuu1234's Avatar uuu1234 03:25 PM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnotefan View Post

Could I also get a PM with this info? Trying to find absolute best price on SC-27. Many thanks...

Actually after looking up the verdor on resellerratings.com, I had second thought. I was lucky to find another one on ebay from a local authorized dealer, even though I have to pay tax, with bing rebate, I end up paying a bit less than Amazon price, and I'm picking it up tonight !!

So if you are in socal, look closely on ebay.
mrmagloo's Avatar mrmagloo 03:56 PM 11-20-2009
I'm finally getting a chance to set up my SC-27 and ran into a few issues last night. I was hoing for some guidance:

1. Ran the full auto Mcacc and it passed everything. Sure doesn't sound any better. The weird thing I noticed was all of the trims came up at -5.5db to -8.5db. Naturally, that sounds counter-intuitive as it should overall average at 0.0db. Ran it a few times full auto, then just the EQ and the same. I think I'm going to try and jot down the individual trims, and manually increase them proportionately to manually achieve an overall ave. However, noting that the the No. 2 uncalibrated slot sounds better, it's making me wonder? Yes, I used the mic correctly with a tripod, and got out of the area.

2. I've got a Pro-151 and BDP-23 with KuroLink. Seems extremely weird that I cannot assign the DirectTV HD DVR to TV/SAT button if I enable KuroLink. If it turn it off, it works fine. Is there a work around?

3. Next, the manual seems to suggest to leave it in Auto Surround. However, there seems to be a ton of different THX and other modes they mention, but no ranking of what the better modes are to use. If I leave it in auto, will it select out the best THX based on the material? I guess it's great to have all of these modes but I'm just not sure what I should do with them?? BTW, I do have a full 7.1 setup.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
fireman325's Avatar fireman325 04:04 PM 11-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

I'm finally getting a chance to set up my SC-27 and ran into a few issues last night. I was hoing for some guidance:

1. Ran the full auto Mcacc and it passed everything. Sure doesn't sound any better. The weird thing I noticed was all of the trims came up at -5.5db to -8.5db. Naturally, that sounds counter-intuitive as it should overall average at 0.0db. Ran it a few times full auto, then just the EQ and the same. I think I'm going to try and jot down the individual trims, and manually increase them proportionately to manually achieve an overall ave. However, noting that the the No. 2 uncalibrated slot sounds better, it's making me wonder? Yes, I used the mic correctly with a tripod, and got out of the area.

2. I've got a Pro-151 and BDP-23 with KuroLink. Seems extremely weird that I cannot assign the DirectTV HD DVR to TV/SAT button if I enable KuroLink. If it turn it off, it works fine. Is there a work around?

3. Next, the manual seems to suggest to leave it in Auto Surround. However, there seems to be a ton of different THX and other modes they mention, but no ranking of what the better modes are to use. If I leave it in auto, will it select out the best THX based on the material? I guess it's great to have all of these modes but I'm just not sure what I should do with them?? BTW, I do have a full 7.1 setup.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about all your issues, but with my SC-25 I thought it set all of my speaker levels unusually low as well, and it set all my speakers to large. I changed them all to small and raised the levels of each speaker, but I still kept the relative settings to each other and IMO it helped alot. I also ordered an SPL meter that I'm going to use for some fine tuning, but it won't be here until tomorrow or Monday.
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 04:18 PM 11-20-2009
^^^

1) nope, the trims shouldn't average 0.0... it's trimming each speaker so that 0.0 on the avr is reference level at the listening position for each speaker... it's no more likely to average out to 0.0 on the trims than it is to get the results you are seeing. raising the trims will simply make the speaker "louder" (which can be perceived as "better"). as far as why isn't it "better", there could be many reasons, chief amoungst them being that your ears don't like/aren't used to the curve that mcacc produces.

2) with kurolink on, you cannot assign hdmi inputs.

3) auto surround won't choose any of the thx modes... it will choose according to the table on page 149 of the manual. if you download the 05/07 manual, there are more extensive tables showing what you get when invoking various thx options. which one is "best"? there's no good answer for that. just depends on what you like best. experiment. i personally prefer dlpiix processing with no thx applied. others really like the thx modes.
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424 03:14 PM 11-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorky View Post

In the Secrets Review of the SC-27 the reviewer says you can turn off the MACCA to compare the sound. All I see are 6 presets that you can cycle through. How do you turn it off?

If you cycle through all six, you will get to MCACC OFF. It's between preset 6 and 1.
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424 03:55 PM 11-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

...Ran the full auto Mcacc and it passed everything. Sure doesn't sound any better. The weird thing I noticed was all of the trims came up at -5.5db to -8.5db. Naturally, that sounds counter-intuitive as it should overall average at 0.0db. Ran it a few times full auto, then just the EQ and the same. I think I'm going to try and jot down the individual trims, and manually increase them proportionately to manually achieve an overall ave. However, noting that the the No. 2 uncalibrated slot sounds better, it's making me wonder? Yes, I used the mic correctly with a tripod, and got out of the area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

...1) nope, the trims shouldn't average 0.0... it's trimming each speaker so that 0.0 on the avr is reference level at the listening position for each speaker... it's no more likely to average out to 0.0 on the trims than it is to get the results you are seeing. raising the trims will simply make the speaker "louder" (which can be perceived as "better"). as far as why isn't it "better", there could be many reasons, chief amoungst them being that your ears don't like/aren't used to the curve that mcacc produces...

To expand a bit, MCACC sets your speakers to standard reference level at the listening spot when the front panel reads "0". (Standard reference = 85dB average, 105dB peak.)

If you have sensitive speakers and they are not too far from the mic, MCACC will reduce them all in volume. They aren't supposed to average anything; each is just supposed to produce 85dB from a standard reference signal. (Note: MCACC uses a 75dB signal to calibrate, but that's only because most users would find a series of 85dB tones to be unpleasantly loud. The software compensates, so the final setting creates the 85dB standard reference at 0.)

Some processing functions are keyed to this. If you manually adjust all your speakers, you throw off the calibration, but you do not change how loud the system can be made to play. You just change the reading on the front panel for a given SPL.

Don't bother to change the MCACC levels (except maybe a dB or two in a couple of channels if you choose to manually fine tune). You can't improve anything, but you can make something worse. If louder sounds better, turn up the volume.
gorky's Avatar gorky 09:58 AM 11-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

If you cycle through all six, you will get to MCACC OFF. It's between preset 6 and 1.

Tried that but still no MCACC off. The SC-05 had this but it's not here with the SC-27. Strange indeed.
gorky's Avatar gorky 10:08 AM 11-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagloo View Post

I'm finally getting a chance to set up my SC-27 and ran into a few issues last night. I was hoing for some guidance:

1. Ran the full auto Mcacc and it passed everything. Sure doesn't sound any better. The weird thing I noticed was all of the trims came up at -5.5db to -8.5db. Naturally, that sounds counter-intuitive as it should overall average at 0.0db. Ran it a few times full auto, then just the EQ and the same. I think I'm going to try and jot down the individual trims, and manually increase them proportionately to manually achieve an overall ave. However, noting that the the No. 2 uncalibrated slot sounds better, it's making me wonder? Yes, I used the mic correctly with a tripod, and got out of the area.

2. I've got a Pro-151 and BDP-23 with KuroLink. Seems extremely weird that I cannot assign the DirectTV HD DVR to TV/SAT button if I enable KuroLink. If it turn it off, it works fine. Is there a work around?

3. Next, the manual seems to suggest to leave it in Auto Surround. However, there seems to be a ton of different THX and other modes they mention, but no ranking of what the better modes are to use. If I leave it in auto, will it select out the best THX based on the material? I guess it's great to have all of these modes but I'm just not sure what I should do with them?? BTW, I do have a full 7.1 setup.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The sensitivity of your speakers are causing the settings plus your room, nothing to worry about. I have totem speakers and there sensitivity is 87db. Go into the manual eq and change settings for the front three speakers if you want to change how the sound is being produced. Youcan increase the bass or reduce the high frequencies or both. My sound is fuller and is much more pleasant.
totallytweeked's Avatar totallytweeked 10:35 AM 11-22-2009
Am I missing something? My SC-25 works functions fine until I shut it down overnight.
I can not use my remote MX-850/OEM to power it back up the next day. I have to use the hard button on the receiver to power it up, after that's done it works fine with full functions including powering off and on.
alexb76's Avatar alexb76 01:59 PM 11-22-2009
I am wondering if anyone has moved from VSX-59TXi to SC-27 (or SC-07)?

Before these new ICE amps, the KING of Elite line in terms of Audio quality was VSX-59TXi... wondering if anyone has compared the Audio quality of the two?
Macfan424's Avatar Macfan424 02:18 PM 11-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post

I am wondering if anyone has moved from VSX-59TXi to SC-27 (or SC-07)?

Before these new ICE amps, the KING of Elite line in terms of Audio quality was VSX-59TXi... wondering if anyone has compared the Audio quality of the two?

There are several member reviews linked on the first page of the SC-05/07 thread. A couple of them came from VSX-59TXi owners. The former equipment is usually listed in the review title.
mrmagloo's Avatar mrmagloo 03:08 PM 11-22-2009
Thanks for all of the replies. The trims cuts make sense now. Still trying to make heads or tails out of the various Dolby options. Too bad it just doesn't read the source and adjust itself? I dunno, I've got more reading to do there.

One more quick question - On page 67 it talks about setting up the Mix function. To change this, you're supposed to hold the enter button and power it on. Sounds easy enough, but if I release the Enter right after start up, or hold it the whole time, the Reset < NO > only flashes for a split second and goes away before I can hit the up arrow. No matter how I hold or release the Enter button, there's just no way I can keep the Rest on long enough to hit the arrow key. What am I doing wrong??
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 03:12 PM 11-22-2009
^^^

technically, if you leave it on "auto surround", it does...

the other modes that are being discussed are "post processing", and there really wouldn't be any "good" way of telling which one to use automagically...

no idea on the "mix" thing... i've never tried it...
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop