AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

This will be interesting.

I guess all that's left for me to decide is if something like these are "worthwhile enough" upgrades vs. my current Yamaha rxv2700 which I'm pretty happy with but you all know how this game goes.

Certainly if I make an upgrade this year these are on the short list and arguably at the very top of it.

Hellol I have had the SC-27 for almost 30 days from BB and have been given a choice from a couple of dealers I know of an Integra 9.9 or Yammy rx-7. At a very similar price to the one I p;aid for the 27. I of course put myself in a state. Once I got this up and runnig The detail and clarity is amazing. Of course it does not show its raw power and depth unless it is called upon. I have matched it with a 23bd and 58av. Nice looking set up and the PQLS is very noticable to me both in cd and Multi channel DTS HD and Dolby True movies. My wife who never comments stated last night she never heard my system sound so clear and detailed I do not even notice speakers.

The review you stated was for the LX52 a slightly different unit I believe mabey the 25 they claimed it was light. Did not pack the punch for the asking price. I listened to the 9.9 yesterday in a two channel system and when I went home played the same cd in various players and sound modes and hardly could tell the difference. Looking like I am keeping the pioneer. I think the newer tech like PLIIz and dsx it going way to far. for me anyway so I am staying away from the new onkyo's 3007, and 5007 but the two sub outputs would be nice. Most other reviewers hav given the SC series a very fair shake. Just hope pioneer stays in business to support the warranty.

Sorry for the ramble but the review was not for the LX82. I believe ther have been none for it anyware yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5260 Old 09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

... the two sub outputs would be nice...

They can be handy, but a fifty cent adapter does the same thing.
post #183 of 5260 Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularsteve View Post

Hi,
This is my first post and based on reading this entire thread and your recommendations I have decided to buy the SC-27. I know pricing is not to be discussed but I was hoping some of you could recommend an online retailer. I did email the forum sponsors this week: Axxis Audio (twice) and Cleveland (once) and neither replied.

I had wanted to order yesterday so any advice would be most appreciated. If it is against the rules to post advice on retailers, can you PM me your suggestions?

As a moderator of another forum (car related) I always urge people to support our sponsors. In this case the AVSForum sponosors did not reply so that is why I am asking for additional help. I hope I am not out of line.

I just really want to get my order in.

Thank you in advance.

steve

They're both excellent businesses but they're busy. You're WAY better off simply calling them on the phone and you'll be taken care of.

Quote:

Hellol I have had the SC-27 for almost 30 days from BB and have been given a choice from a couple of dealers I know of an Integra 9.9 or Yammy rx-7. At a very similar price to the one I p;aid for the 27. I of course put myself in a state. Once I got this up and runnig The detail and clarity is amazing. Of course it does not show its raw power and depth unless it is called upon. I have matched it with a 23bd and 58av. Nice looking set up and the PQLS is very noticable to me both in cd and Multi channel DTS HD and Dolby True movies. My wife who never comments stated last night she never heard my system sound so clear and detailed I do not even notice speakers.

This is one of things I'm mulling over. I'm really happy with my Oppo BDP-83 and I doubt I'd get rid of it for anything else out there.

So right there that takes PQLS off the table for me as a potential benefit.

I'm probably staying with 5.1 for the forseeable future so I don't really care much about having dolby heights or width although I wouldn't mind having that in my backpocket.

The sampling rate converter is something that obviously is immediate benefit across the boards regardless of hardware.

I have a 111FD Kuro so I know Pioneer's gear plays very nicely together.

I wouldn't mind having the video processing work on the HDMI side of things but it's not the end of the world to me if it doesn't.

Quote:

The review you stated was for the LX52 a slightly different unit I believe mabey the 25 they claimed it was light. Did not pack the punch for the asking price. I listened to the 9.9 yesterday in a two channel system and when I went home played the same cd in various players and sound modes and hardly could tell the difference. Looking like I am keeping the pioneer. I think the newer tech like PLIIz and dsx it going way to far.

These are sweet if you can do them. I've already seen some reviews about PLIIz from people very jaded against gimmicks and snake oil and they declare it "the real deal."

Quote:

... for me anyway so I am staying away from the new onkyo's 3007, and 5007 but the two sub outputs would be nice. Most other reviewers hav given the SC series a very fair shake. Just hope pioneer stays in business to support the warranty.

No reason to think Pioneer won't be around now that they cut off the area where they simply weren't making enough money.

Quote:

Sorry for the ramble but the review was not for the LX82. I believe ther have been none for it anyware yet.

Nope, they don't ,but this gives me something to chew on.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #184 of 5260 Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

They can be handy, but a fifty cent adapter does the same thing.

I have a y connector hooked into it for bothe sides but the new onkyo has stereo sub outputs one l one r.

post #185 of 5260 Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DB Holcomb -- I haven't heard the Adcom GFA 555 amps (they sound like they should be very good units). However, the ICE amps in the SC series of AVRs are very good. I would suggest that you try running all of your 7 channels from the SC-27, to see how you like it (it should not have any problems driving all 7 of your B&Ws). The difference in power output between the GFA 555 and the SC-27 is only 1.5dB/channel, and both exceed the max power needed by the B&W Nautilus 805's.

If you don't like the way it sounds, then you can always go back to using the Adcom GFA 555 to drive the front L/R speakers.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #186 of 5260 Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ i have to agree.... i heard an SC-27 receiver this weekend linked to some floorstanding paradigms and i was amazed at 2 things:

1)the fact that the receiver could actually take the speakers up to the maximum value on the receiver (+12dB) with minimal distortion and NO AMP.

2)how cool it ran at that output.
post #187 of 5260 Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note to say I probably cut my nose to spite my face but I returned my SC-27 to BB tonight. I was a beautiful unit but I had a few issues with it. I had a particular issue which I had on a 94 a few years ago and got not help. The same issue I found existed on the 27. I was told by a not to caring CSR today that it was not something that they felt they should adress although the could with an upgrade. It was the Dolby + drop out issue that None of my dennons had and as far as no other mfg did not take care of. As Dolby Digital + was mainly used on HD DVD they chose not to adress it. I have quite a few HD DVDs with this sound format. Anyway he said he did not care if I returned the unit or not. So I did. I am now looking at an Integra 9.9 great unit and price. I am not interested in most of the newer models with DSX or IIz. Like I said I probably will be very sorry. Thanks to all of you and your set up advise this is the friendliest thread on the fourm.

post #188 of 5260 Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Just a note to say I probably cut my nose to spite my face but I returned my SC-27 to BB tonight.

well, at least you recognize what you are doing...

seriously though, if there's something that is a "must have" for you, and it doesn't exist on a given unit, then you should get a different unit...

of course, you could just let the player decode, and it becomes a non-issue...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #189 of 5260 Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks CT Wiebe for your feedback. As I recall, the GFA 555 was a stereophile class B or C rated amplifier in the mid '80's. It is noted for being detailed and warm sounding with massive base. At that time I ran them with a pair of stacked Dalquist DQ-10 speakers. I tried several other amps of the day for comparison but never found any others I liked better. So here I am 25 years later still running 5 of them in my main AV system and two more in my editing studio upstairs.
post #190 of 5260 Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

well, at least you recognize what you are doing...

seriously though, if there's something that is a "must have" for you, and it doesn't exist on a given unit, then you should get a different unit...

of course, you could just let the player decode, and it becomes a non-issue...

You know I actually did do that. I figured it out after I got off the phone. It goes a little deeper. As it was the secont time in a row that I had a very unconcerned up front CSR within a week. Time was short and I felt just get rid of it . I can always repurchase. But knowing up front Integra has not got the best service I tried out a 9.9 the other day and it was pretty awesome and I did have a demo of the dd+from an old hd player it did fine. I just get concerned about the heat. I will have an open rack with glass about 1 1/2 inches above. One thing though I would not diswade anyone away from Pioneer Elite.

post #191 of 5260 Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It was the Dolby + drop out issue that none of my Denons had and as far as no other mfg did not take care of. As Dolby Digital + was mainly used on HD DVD they chose not to adsress it. I have quite a few HD DVDs with this sound format.

I've honestly forgotten about this. Can someone remind me real quick what this issue is, how it comes out, why it comes up, etc.? Was it strictly in a bitstreaming DD+ situation that this happened?

One thing I'm happy I don't see people mention much any more is the DTS bomb issue. Has that issue basically been phased out by now across the boards?

Quote:

...But knowing up front Integra has not got the best service I tried out a 9.9 the other day and it was pretty awesome and I did have a demo of the dd+from an old hd player it did fine. I just get concerned about the heat. I will have an open rack with glass about 1 1/2 inches above. One thing though I would not diswade anyone away from Pioneer Elite.

By most accounts, you probably could save some money and just get whatever the equivalent Onkyo unit is since Onkyo and Integra are basically the same thing anyways. Just a thought.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #192 of 5260 Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I've honestly forgotten about this. Can someone remind me real quick what this issue is, how it comes out, why it comes up, etc.? Was it strictly in a bitstreaming DD+ situation that this happened?

One thing I'm happy I don't see people mention much any more is the DTS bomb issue. Has that issue basically been phased out by now across the boards?

By most accounts, you probably could save some money and just get whatever the equivalent Onkyo unit is since Onkyo and Integra are basically the same thing anyways. Just a thought.

Q....the HD DVD drop out thing comes up on occasion. Not having an HD-DVD player, I have no personal experience with it. However, from everything I've read, the drop outs occur only while bitstreaming, and not having the source do the decoding and sending out (L)PCM to the AVR. I'm guessing here, but I have to think it has something to do with the cadence of the signal being sent out bitstream that causes the AVR to lock onto, lose, and relock onto the bitstream that causes the drop outs.

For good or ill, I'm sure Pioneer looks at this as an issue for a dead format. As such, they don't want to spend any engineering time to come up with a solution.

While I've not perused every Elite thread, I've never seen any mention of the "DTS bomb" issue. So, making a generalization, it's never been a Pioneer problem.

I'll show my own bias and prejudices here, but the two brief times I inserted Onkyo gear into my HT (805 and 875), I was disappointed for a variety of reasons. Some like Onkyo, though. If that's the case, they're plentiful and can be bought via many different venues.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #193 of 5260 Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM

Hi Folks,

Can anyone outline the differences between the two, and how those differences would be in normal use?

Also, do these units support streaming Internet radio, like, say, Pandora?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks!

Jack Taylor
post #194 of 5260 Old 09-22-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnotefan View Post

Hi Folks,

Can anyone outline the differences between the two, and how those differences would be in normal use?

You can compare features on Pioneer's website.

They are almost the same. To me, the most important difference is the SC-27's Sampling Rate Converter (192 kHz/24-bit, all sources). Even that lends only a very subtle improvement.

Others might want or need the SC-27's extra coax input, component video zone out for zone 2, or learning remote with illuminated LCD. Its THX Ultra certification vs Select for the SC-25 seems to be more of a marketing move than anything, as all indications are that they share the same amplifier and processing (except for SRC, which alone wouldn't change the THX certification class).
post #195 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Say Guys thanks for your imput and opinions. Like I said before I probly will be sorry. I agree the Integra and Onkyos are very similar some slight cosmetic changes and mabey some better parts. But the Big onkyos are beasts to say the least. I hate to admit I am a gadget freak. I think I am going to go with the Onkyo new 9.2 5007 for some of the new novelties.and already have the speakers set up from a prior yammy receiver. I have one quick any online dealers you have had good activity and pricing from Would appreciate any advise there.

post #196 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Say Guys thanks for your imput and opinions. Like I said before I probly will be sorry. I agree the Integra and Onkyos are very similar some slight cosmetic changes and mabey some better parts. But the Big onkyos are beasts to say the least. I hate to admit I am a gadget freak. I think I am going to go with the Onkyo new 9.2 5007 for some of the new novelties.and already have the speakers set up from a prior yammy receiver. I have one quick any online dealers you have had good activity and pricing from Would appreciate any advise there.

Newegg or Amazon. Newegg has been especially aggressive on pricing as of late to the point that they've been selling out inventory already.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #197 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Newegg or Amazon. Newegg has been especially aggressive on pricing as of late to the point that they've been selling out inventory already.

thanks

post #198 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can compare features on Pioneer's website.

They are almost the same. To me, the most important difference is the SC-27's Sampling Rate Converter (192 kHz/24-bit, all sources). Even that lends only a very subtle improvement.

Others might want or need the SC-27's extra coax input, component video zone out for zone 2, or learning remote with illuminated LCD. Its THX Ultra certification vs Select for the SC-25 seems to be more of a marketing move than anything, as all indications are that they share the same amplifier and processing (except for SRC, which alone wouldn't change the THX certification class).

Basically the SRC and the "certification ratings" are the only things I'm kind of hung on between these two units. The only thing I'm seeing is the pricing on the 25 vs. the 27 is pretty close to one another that it's almost like "Well, why not go for the 27 for the extra $150 or so?"

Decisions, decisions...

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #199 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, if you go for the SC-27, you won't drive yourself crazy wondering: "should I have?"

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #200 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Well, if you go for the SC-27, you won't drive yourself crazy wondering: "should I have?"

That's true.

Now I just have to decide if the whole thing is overkill for my setup or not vs. my current Yamaha 2700 and such. You all know how this goes.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #201 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

that kind of logic has emptied more wallets that any other thought process...

i agree with it though... as long as the disposable income exists, you might as well spend it to make yourself happy...

next on the wallet emptying list is "keeping up with the jones'"... like when "one of us" just HAD to get an 09 and costing the rest of us a bunch of money...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #202 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's true.

Now I just have to decide if the whole thing is overkill for my setup or not vs. my current Yamaha 2700 and such. You all know how this goes.

"overkill"???

what's that??

- chris

post #203 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, that's why I got an SC-07 rather than an 05. I doubt I'd hear any difference in a blind test, but it makes me feel better.
post #204 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"overkill"???

what's that??

Heh, yup. I know.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #205 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Basically the SRC and the "certification ratings" are the only things I'm kind of hung on between these two units...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the certification difference. All it means is that Pioneer did not choose to submit the SC-25 to THX for Ultra certification. THX just certifies that a piece of equipment mets the standard for which it is submitted, not that it couldn't have passed a higher one. There is no discernible difference between the two that would suggest that THX would not have certified the SC-25 as Ultra if Pioneer has submitted it as such.

In an average room, it doesn't matter anyway. Although it is kinda cool to see Ultra2 light up on the front panel.
post #206 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I wouldn't get too hung up on the certification difference. All it means is that Pioneer did not choose to submit the SC-25 to THX for Ultra certification. THX just certifies that a piece of equipment mets the standard for which it is submitted, not that it couldn't have passed a higher one. There is no discernible difference between the two that would suggest that THX would not have certified the SC-25 as Ultra if Pioneer has submitted it as such.

In an average room, it doesn't matter anyway. Although it is kinda cool to see Ultra2 light up on the front panel.

+1 (to both)...

since it seems like the 25/27 are essentially the same as the 05/07 (with a few minor processing differences), and we pretty much came to the conclusion that the amplification sections of the 05 and 07 were the "same", with different certifications for marketing purposes, i'd take a "somewhat educated guess" that the same is true for the 25 and 27...

- chris

post #207 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1
I smile when I see it....

Long term, that makes it worth while

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #208 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

"overkill"???

what's that??

Ain't that the truth.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #209 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Hello all-

Quick question: just received my sc-27 and trying to setup my system. I have run 14 gauge speaker wire for all my speakers including the sub for my house. I have the velodyne optimum 12. How do I connect the receiver to sub's speaker wires? (SC27 only has one RCA type Line Level Input and I have 14 guage speaker wire.) Any help would be greatly appriciated.
post #210 of 5260 Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

use the rca line level sub out from the avr, and run it into the line level input that is labeled "lfe" on the velodyne...

alternatively, if you want to use both the "left" and "right" line level inputs, split the single output with a y-cable and plug it in to both... i don't *believe* you will need to do this, as the avr should be putting out a high enough voltage over the sub out jack to make the sub happy....

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page