Do Denon receivers use of subwoofer in Pure/Direct mode? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
evac311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My old Pioneer sounded alot better when running with no eq in "Direct" mode, and it would allow me to run my subwoofers. I need a new receiver now, and this ability is a must for me.
evac311 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
sptrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evac311 View Post

My old Pioneer sounded alot better when running with no eq in "Direct" mode, and it would allow me to run my subwoofers. I need a new receiver now, and this ability is a must for me.

I cannot comment about new Denon products, but my old 3300 did not, nor does my current AVR; Onkyo 805. Typically, when using Pure or Direct Modes the Bass Management System, as well as all other digital processing, is bypassed, which will kill the subwoofer.

The only exception that I know of is if you use the 5.1/7.1 analog input of an AVR then the LFE channel is passed through the AVR untouched. However, you must be careful when doing this since you may have LFE channel level probelms unless you know how to work with this configuration.
sptrout is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptrout View Post

I cannot comment about new Denon products, but my old 3300 did not, nor does my current AVR; Onkyo 805. Typically, when using Pure or Direct Modes the Bass Management System, as well as all other digital processing, is bypassed, which will kill the subwoofer.

The only exception that I know of is if you use the 5.1/7.1 analog input of an AVR then the LFE channel is passed through the AVR untouched. However, you must be careful when doing this since you may have LFE channel level probelms unless you know how to work with this configuration.

Bass redirection is disabled on Onkyo's in Pure and Direct modes, but the LFE channel isn't discarded. It's not necessary to use the multichannel analog inputs, you'll get LFE from any *.1 soundtrack received over any digital input.
kplex is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
sptrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Bass redirection is disabled on Onkyo's in Pure and Direct modes, but the LFE channel isn't discarded. It's not necessary to use the multichannel analog inputs, you'll get LFE from any *.1 soundtrack received over any digital input.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that when using Pure or Direct Modes in the 805, the LFE channel is redirected to the L & R channels; correct? If this is the case, the main speakers better be big. I personally have never used either modes because I prefer to keep Audyssey in play and I do not listen to music only very often anyway.
sptrout is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No, I'm saying when Pure or Direct modes are enabled on an 805, LFE goes to the subwoofer, same as it does in most other modes.
kplex is offline  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
sptrout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

No, I'm saying when Pure or Direct modes are enabled on an 805, LFE goes to the subwoofer, same as it does in most other modes.

Thanks kplex, I have only tried these modes with two-channel material, which is why I assumed that the LFE channel was always dead.

Sorry OP for stealing your thread
sptrout is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off