Audyssey DSX Report - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I will be the first to admit I have not given Audyssey's DSX a fair shot with the Denon 4310 and Onkyo 807. I will also be the first to admit that I am a big IDIOT for not spending time with it sooner. For those that want to read up on it go to http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html.

So why am I liking it? After doing a full 2 days of A/B comparisons with PLIIz Height I have come to consider DSX- Height Plus. Here are the differences. When watching a few football games (I have recorded on my HD DVR) I was impressed with the clarity and even more accurate placement of the sound in the Wides (Heights). For example, when they (FOX) would flash their fancy graphics across the screen you would hear them more distinctly go from right to left (a really cool effect) in the DSX speakers. I went back and forth with different games with Height and DSX. The Audyssey sound mode was much more pronounced then Height. Same for the crowd cheering even though the Height was right there with DSX. Now here was the more alarming difference that I did not expect. At the snap of the ball you hear the line clash (grunts and pads hitting) very clearly with DSX on. It was as if I was standing on the sideline! You also hear individual shouts at times. With Height you get more of a mixed crowd and do not hear the details as much.

Movies... I used the same movies and came to the same conclusion. DSX has more clarity. With rain, thunder, bullets and or breaking glass. Action movies have never sounded better. Scary movies the same. As much as I like Height I am liking DSX even more! It just seems much more better place in terms of the Center and all of the surrounds. Jurassic Park had much more of an immersive effect because the sound was so clear. Not just the famous "chase" scene but also when Newman (his Seinfeld name) was making his escape and ended up being waylaid by the stream. The rain was so clear I swear I thought my ceiling was leaking! Same results for Forrest Gump with both the rain and helicopters. And all of this was with DirecTV. Blu ray movies had the same results. Height is really good but DSX is even better! The Strangers, Vacancy and even Stir Of Echoes never sounded more scary. Fast & Furious, Swat and Transformers were stunning. Even The Ninth Gate, Knowing and The Last Starfighter benefited with DSX...

Final thoughts... I am counting the days when I can review the Denon 4810 and Onkyo 5007. I am anxious to hear what these true 9 channel receivers will be able to do. For now, I will be watching and listening with Audyssey DSX. It is the absolute best ear candy I have heard to date in m theater. For both Movies & Sports... Stay tuned...

I tested Audyssey DSX under the Wide set up and PLIIz was done using the Height set up...

Oh and I also forgot to apologize to Batpig for taking so long... And also my ears!
LL
LL
LL

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Did you try the "Wide" setup. Chris K. says that's even more impressive than the "Height" setup.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Did you try the "Wide" setup. Chris K. says that's even more impressive than the "Height" setup.

Craig

Yes, under DSX I set it up using Wide. I will Edit my review to state that.

post #4 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Yes, under DSX I set it up using Wide. I will Edit my review to state that.

Better yet, a diagram or a picture of speaker placement for each setup, (PLIIz/Audyssey DSX Wide 7.1). Also, your main speakers are located at floor level. What height were the speakers placed at for PLIIz and Audyssey DSX Wide 7.1?

It would also be informative to compare PLIIz Height to Audyssey Height 7.1, and Audyssey Height 7.1 to Audyssey Wide 7.1.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #5 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Better yet, a diagram or a picture of speaker placement for each setup, (PLIIz/Audyssey DSX Wide 7.1). Also, your main speakers are located at floor level. What height were the speakers placed at for PLIIz and Audyssey DSX Wide 7.1?

It would also be informative to compare PLIIz Height to Audyssey Height 7.1, and Audyssey Height 7.1 to Audyssey Wide 7.1.

Craig

I used JBL ARENA speakers on top of 24 inch speaker stands. I followed the guidelines for each sound mode. Both have diagrams on their websites. Here is a link to PLIIz http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic-IIz.html
If people are going to start to try and discredit my take on Audyssey DSX and PLIIz then I will delete this thread. What I am hearing (as well as others now) is an improvement. Even Home Theater magazine is stating how positive these new sound modes are. I won't even consider a new receiver unless they have at least Height. Of course now having DSX is even better!

post #6 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woo hoo! That sounds good. I will try DSX when I get my Receiver back from Denon repair. I thought Pro logic IIz was already good; so DSX sounds sweet! I would love to try it out. Can't wait to get back my receiver and test it out.
post #7 of 146 Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post

Woo hoo! That sounds good. I will try DSX when I get my Receiver back from Denon repair. I thought Pro logic IIz was already good; so DSX sounds sweet! I would love to try it out. Can't wait to get back my receiver and test it out.

Don't get me wrong, Height is still very good. I just hear slight improvements with movies using DSX. Now football (or sports in general) the gap is much Wider (no pun intended )....

post #8 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

If people are going to start to try and discredit my take on Audyssey DSX and PLIIz then I will delete this thread. What I am hearing (as well as others now) is an improvement. Even Home Theater magazine is stating how positive these new sound modes are. I won't even consider a new receiver unless they have at least Height. Of course now having DSX is even better!

i didn't see that in the post, i thought he meant (as i also would like to know) your eval of Z vrs. DSX H and DSX H vrs DSX W.
basically any input at this point is greatly appreciated(thank you joe) i know you are enjoying your HT but all that swicthing equipment setting up and re-calcing must be both time consuming and tiring, again we applaud your efforts......................................
post #9 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post

i didn't see that in the post, i thought he meant (as i also would like to know) your eval of Z vrs. DSX H and DSX H vrs DSX W.
basically any input at this point is greatly appreciated(thank you joe) i know you are enjoying your HT but all that swicthing equipment setting up and re-calcing must be both time consuming and tiring, again we applaud your efforts......................................

It wasn't directed at him in particular. When I first did a report on PLIIz Height I received a lot (and I mean alot) of unfair posts that were taking shots at my set up. I went out of my way to bring my JBL ARENA speakers in so they would quit saying my fronts are on the floor. Either way I get terrific sound and my theater has benefited greatly with these new sound modes...

post #10 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Joe -- finally!!

Out of curiosity, just to be clear, those speakers that are mounted up high (the left one above the pulp fiction poster and the right one above the equip. rack) are the ones you are using for "height" speaker tests right? Whether it's DLPIIz "height" or DSX "height"?

And then you are bringing in a DIFFERENT pair of speakers that you are using to try out the "Wide" speakers, right? Do you have a photo of that setup?

Assuming that's all correct....

follow up question: on the Onkyo 807, when you run Audyssey does it allow you to ping all of the speakers (e.g. both height and wide) and then post-Audyssey you can switch among them? So you can switch from a "5.1+height" to a "5.1+wide" config without having to re-run Audyssey?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #11 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Joe -- finally!!

Out of curiosity, just to be clear, those speakers that are mounted up high (the left one above the pulp fiction poster and the right one above the equip. rack) are the ones you are using for "height" speaker tests right? Whether it's DLPIIz "height" or DSX "height"?

And then you are bringing in a DIFFERENT pair of speakers that you are using to try out the "Wide" speakers, right? Do you have a photo of that setup?

Assuming that's all correct....

follow up question: on the Onkyo 807, when you run Audyssey does it allow you to ping all of the speakers (e.g. both height and wide) and then post-Audyssey you can switch among them? So you can switch from a "5.1+height" to a "5.1+wide" config without having to re-run Audyssey?

Yes, you are right. I have been using a 24 inch speaker stand with JBL Arena speakers for the Wides. I will take a photo the next time I have my camera out. I just followed the diagram from their website though. I just wish we could use it all together. I do like the Heights a lot still but the clairty seems more evident in the Wides. Anyway...

post #12 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Joe,

Thanks for the report, it's exciting to hear that there are more sound improvements to look forward to.

I'm still unclear as to the speaker locations; you mention 24" stands but in your picture I see speakers in the wall near the ceiling.

I assume the latter are the IIz height speakers; are you also using them as the DSX wides?

Noah
post #13 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think he has a photo withe the "wide" speakers. the speakers in the photo are the "height" speakers. what he is saying is he set up a separate pair of speakers on stands (not pictured) when he tested the "wides".

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #14 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

I don't think he has a photo withe the "wide" speakers. the speakers in the photo are the "height" speakers. what he is saying is he set up a separate pair of speakers on stands (not pictured) when he tested the "wides".

Thanks Batpig. I set up JBL Arena speakers (which I usually use as my outdoor speakers) on a 34 inch speaker stand. The Arenas are 15 inches tall so I am at about the ideal location. I angle them in (like in the DSX diagram). I will have to take another pic soon. My Wife is at her Mothers (house/dog sitting) with my nice camera. Good thing I am not doing any reviews right now...

post #15 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Out of curiosity.... it wasn't exactly clear from your first post, but did you compare PLIIz height vs DSX height directly? OR just PLIIz height vs DSX wide?

In other words, if someone does not have the option of "wide" speakers, do you think PLIIz or DSX does a better job with the "height" speakers?

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #16 of 146 Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good question. I went Height versus a Wide set up. Using DSX for the Height ended up putting the Wide sound but up high. It did make for some interesting sounds but I much prefer the official Height up high...

post #17 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the clarification.

But now I'm not clear on this: "Using DSX for the Height ended up putting the Wide sound but up high."

Which processing and which of your speakers where does this mean?

Noah
post #18 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a little confused too DSX can produce WIDE content or it can produce HEIGHT content, depending how you can configure it. I think what Noah and I are confused about is that it sounds like you are sending "wide" content to the "height" speakers!

like this line: "I much prefer the official Height up high" -- DSX and PLIIz can both produce "official" height signals.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #19 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM

I hooked my 807 for Audyssey Wide last night. (L,R,C,SL,SR,WL,WR,LFE) The only problem I have for now is that the Wides are the Focal brand, and the front and surround are Energy. After running Audyssey, the sound is closer except for voices. If the voice isn't center channel, I can tell that their is a bit of mismatch in the speakers, but when I'm running TruHD or DTS Master with effects and music, WOW. I love the new setup. The detail, soundfield and experience are nicely enhanced. This effect is above and beyond having the extra and more expensive and accurate Focal at the wide position. For instance, I was just watching a Blu-ray with this setup and while the effects were definitely left and right, the orchestra stretched from wall to wall quite beyond the L/R I've heard before.

Because of my setup, I'll probably not try Height, but I think I'll try to better match the Wide speakers.
post #20 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Because of my setup, I'll probably not try Height, but I think I'll try to better match the Wide speakers.

good idea -- remember Audyssey recommends that the biggest benefit will come with WIDE speakers as the first addition. This makes a lot of sense if you think about how if can improve the width and "wraparound" effect of the soundstage, especially since humans are much more sensitive to horizontal sounds vs vertical.

The basic idea (more speakers in front of you than behind you) just makes a lot of sense to me -- I've always been bothered by the "hole" in the sound on the sides when the soundstage or an effect wraps from the front speakers to the surrounds. It's especially so since most people are stuck using their surrounds well behind the listening position.

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #21 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"the orchestra stretched from wall to wall quite beyond the L/R I've heard before."

beyond the wide speakers as well?

Noah
post #22 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Sorry, that came out wrong. I was using the DSX with the Wide speakers and the Height with the High speakers...

post #23 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotcha.... But, since we are living vicariously through you and bossing you around and stuff...

how about testing DSX vs PLIIz for JUST the height speakers? e.g. if someone adds "height" speakers to their setup, which one does a better job of creating the height channels, PLIIz or DSX?

BTW, it's been said before but bears repeating, Joe you are totally awesome for being willing to buy all this fancy gear and test it out for us

Setup Guide and FAQ

post #24 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have done that. It sounds a little different. Like you have the fronts up high. All sounds went to them under DSX. Not just rain, helicopters and crowds...

post #25 of 146 Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html
Here is there info and layout of dsx.
post #26 of 146 Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"All sounds went to them under DSX. Not just rain, helicopters and crowds... "

Could you elaborate?

Did that make the soundstage appropriately taller?

Were there sometimes sounds that didn't belong that high?

Noah
post #27 of 146 Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM

hi joerod,

thanks for your review. i will order the little brother 707.
post #28 of 146 Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The 707 is a good choice.

post #29 of 146 Old 08-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

just purchased a tx nr807, now time to sell my denon 3808. i owned an 805 with the first firmware and never sent it in for the newer firmware(cost & time) bought the 3808 with it's ethernet firmware upgrades great feature. i'm sure i'll love the onk (my 805 sounded great)
post #30 of 146 Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 AM

I am wondering if these new formats will help me.
I can't change my speaker locations.
I have a 7.1 setup, but my surrounds and rear surrounds are in the ceiling. They are nice speakers ( not triad, but some of best I could I could find 6-7 years ago. I am drawing a blank of the name).
My room is say 25 ft by 15 with 9 feet tray ceilings.
The viewing/listening 15 feet.
My side surrounds were inserted in tray ceilings where they angle down into the room at the midpoint (say 7.5 feet from front speakers and viewing position)
The rear surrounds are in the ceiling directly above listening position (about 6 feet apart and 15 feet from front speakers)

I used to have a pioneer 49txi sold it a couple of years ago, but now am back to a denon 3802

I have been interested in the 3808ci for some time, but theses new formats look interesting too. However, I am stuck with my 7.1 setup.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page