Need help with choosing new AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to buy a PS3 (probably the new slim), and I want a new AVR that supports HDMI and finally allows me to use a single HDMI out from the AVR to the TV and rely soley on input switching from the AVR (unless that proves to be a bad idea of course).

I've done some research on and off for the last year or so (much of it in this forum), and as soon as I start leaning towards one AVR, I see another one that intrigues me or makes me doubt my 'lean.'

So, it's time to turn to the people who know a lot more than I do for advice.

Here's my current setup:
  • 65" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP wd-65831
  • Fluance fronts and surrounds (hopefully these will get upgraded soon too)
  • Hsu 10" subwoofer
  • Onkyo TX-SR601 (facing retirement, obviously )
  • Cox DVR (motorola)
  • Panasonic DVD player (will be replaced by soon to be purchased PS3)
  • HTPC
  • GameCube
  • PS2

My wants / needs:
  • 4+ HDMI (will use 3 - DVR, PS3 and HTPC)
  • 2+ component (PS2 and GameCube)
  • 2+ composite/s-video
  • 5.1 minimum
  • single output (HDMI) to TV
  • 2+ digital audio in (may need to use with HTPC, not sure yet if my motherboard outputs audio over the integrated HDMI)
  • want to get the best video quality from all sources to take advantage of the 65" of 1080p goodness...probably don't even need to list that one, right?

My budget is around $1000, but I'm not sure if I need to spend that much. I want some futureproofing but don't want overkill. I was assuming that I need an AVR with a good scaler to help make that PS2 and GameCube look "better" but maybe that's just uneducated, wishful thinking. I know a lot of AVRs have the Faroudja DCDi chip, but I thought I read somewhere a couple years ago that DLPs and Faroudja = macroblocking.

Anyway, you can probably see why I need help. I can research my self to death and then take a semi-educated stab in the dark or I can get good solid advice and help from AVSers. I chose the latter.

So, what AVRs do you guys and gals recommend? It seems like I forgot some info I was going to include, so please let me know if I need to provide more details or clarification.

Thanks in advance for any input!

-s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey is a nice invention. You could start here:

http://www.audyssey.com/j/products?f=consumer-ready

The new Integra DTR-20.1 and 30.1 would be high on my list. Not sure of the prices.

Just found this, and they ARE in your budget ($600 and $800), so go for the 30.1 (no S-Video, but what do you need it for?):

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...-dtr-30-1-20-1
post #3 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Yep, definitely look for the Audyssey stuff IMO: MultEQ and Dynamic EQ.

And I would vote for the Denon AVR-2310CI. Can probably pick it up with enough of that $1000 left to cover the PS3, too...
post #4 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

Audyssey is a nice invention. You could start here:

The new Integra DTR-20.1 and 30.1 would be high on my list. Not sure of the prices.

Just found this, and they ARE in your budget ($600 and $800), so go for the 30.1 (no S-Video, but what do you need it for?)

I kept seeing mention of Audyssey and was starting to think this was something I'd want, but I'm just now learning about the technology. That Audyssey link should help for sure.

I have no experience with Integra receivers but I've seen ads and reviews of them. It looks like a good brand, and I'll consider them.

I was wanting composite/s-video for flexibility and "just in case" -- so I don't leave any components stranded due to poor planning on my part. I think I have a component cable for my GameCube, but I'm not using it right now. I'll have to check on that and check the audio options for the 'Cube. I may not need s-video after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post

And I would vote for the Denon AVR-2310CI. Can probably pick it up with enough of that $1000 left to cover the PS3, too...

I was starting to consider the 2310CI and read a long post here about it. I can't remember what made me start doubting it, but I'm glad to see a recommendation for it, since that means my thinking was in the right ballpark.

I don't think I found it anywhere for less than MSRP, though.

Thanks again for the help!
post #5 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If you really need s-vid, then get the Denon. But, the Integra 30.1 is much more future proof -- RS-232 for firmware upgrades, internet for PC control, 2nd room zone, pre-outs if you ever need more power, 6 HDMI inputs, and a digital multi connector for an iPod. Plus it is a high current design for improved dynamics (the 20.1 isn't).

One of the cool things about the Integra, is it DOESN'T have all that legacy crap.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...s=Receiver&p=f
post #6 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 AM

Agree with MLK
Integra DTR-30.1 MSRP at $800.

We are using the 20.1 and 30.1 for our simple surround applications now.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I am thinking your PS3 won't play PS2 games? I know not all do so. If it does, you can probably disconnect the PS2.

What do you need S-Video for? I never found S-Video to be that big of an improvement over composite. But that was with a 32" TV. Not sure if it helps more with big screen TVs

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

You guys definitely have me interested in the Integra 30.1. But, what makes the Integra 30.1 so much better than the Denon AVR-2310CI or say something like an Onkyo 876? Is it just the future-proof nature of the 30.1 or is there more to it?

Also, is the Faroudja not an issue with DLPs (macroblocking)?

I can live with composite instead of s-video as has been suggested. Hopefully, I won't be stuck using it for anything anyway.

And no, the latest PS3s are not backward compatible with PS2 titles. I don't really mind leaving the PS2 hooked up as well, though. It doesn't take up much space.

By the way, if I get an offer from a member via PM, is there any system to verify how reputable the seller/member is?

Thanks!

-s
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

1. Integra is Onkyo's pro level -- better built with more connections. Form the front, there is little difference. Whether you need the extra features of the Integra, is up to you.

2. Did a little research on "macroblocking" due to the Faroudja, and most were 2-3 years old. Not sure if that is still an issue.

3. S-video is such an old tech now. Unless you have a Super Video player, I can't imagine needing it.

4. If the PM offer is too good to be true (or from Nigeria), then I'd ignore it. If it seems reasonable, then get as much info as you can.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Accessories4less for one of the 876's. Denon 2809 if you can find one or the 2310 for its ABT 2010 processing. The 876 refurbs are a real bargain.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

1. Integra is Onkyo's pro level -- better built with more connections. Form the front, there is little difference. Whether you need the extra features of the Integra, is up to you.

Ahh, my brother was thinking that Integra is Onkyo's pro level, but he didn't know for sure and I hadn't had time to research and confirm it yet. It's good to know.

So, why would you choose the Integra 30.1 over the Denon 2310 or Onkyo 876 (which has a Reon video processor)? Features again?

Quote:

2. Did a little research on "macroblocking" due to the Faroudja, and most were 2-3 years old. Not sure if that is still an issue.

That must be about the last time I read about it too. I may have to pose the question in one of the other forums to find out for sure. Thanks for taking the time to research it.

Quote:

4. If the PM offer is too good to be true (or from Nigeria), then I'd ignore it. If it seems reasonable, then get as much info as you can.

Okay, good advice. I guess I'll try to find a local dealer or two as well and get some quotes from them to see if they are about the same. I'd prefer to go local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Accessories4less for one of the 876's. Denon 2809 if you can find one or the 2310 for its ABT 2010 processing. The 876 refurbs are a real bargain.

One of the reasons I was looking at the Onkyo 876 is because of its HQV Reon-VX Video Processing, and it's now right at the top of my budget. It's a beefy 50 lb. beast though from the looks of it! And I was considering the Denon 2310 because of its ABT processing and features.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

-s
post #12 of 12 Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still trying to find solid info regarding my macroblocking concern.

Also, what is the general consensus on video processors: faroudja vs HQV Reon-VX vs ABT?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page