Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 440 Old 11-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Amazon has (soon to be had) the RX-1065 for a pretty massive discount this morning, so I lost my mind and snagged one to replace my HK AVR247. Not sure how it's going to compare, but hey...

Don't forget, call your local Best Buy/Magnolia stores - I got a RX-2065 for slightly less than the above Amazon listing.

I will tell you that I find myself listening to music much more often over my old Pioneer - this Yamaha sounds amazing! Great unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 440 Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm guessing that deal for an RX-V2065 was for less than Amazon's current price, not the discounted one (though that still would be quite nice). Doesn't look like any of the local stores even have it in stock, unfortunately.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #333 of 440 Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I'm guessing that deal for an RX-V2065 was for less than Amazon's current price, not the discounted one (though that still would be quite nice). Doesn't look like any of the local stores even have it in stock, unfortunately.

I got the 2065 for $459 open box with warrantee. They didn't have the remote and tried to order it, but it was backordered. The remote it did come with does enough of the functions I need it to (was a remote for a VX-25 or something) and they knocked off another 10% for my hassle. Worked out total $398 plus tax for a 2065.
post #334 of 440 Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
[quote=spturtle;19236309]Version 0.4 got released of "yarc", the utility to control a RX-V2065 from a PC on the same LAN. It now works on MacOS X and supports controlling the "PC" input.

Hi Spurtle

Great app for the 2065 - well done and thanks! I am not a technical whizz at all, so can I ask a dumb question please? Do I need to run YARC from "new" every time I want to remote control the rxv? Can I add in a shortcut of some sort? I want this app to be wife friendly. I plan to get a new HP touchsmart in the kitchen and use that to stream music to the rxv to output to Zone 2 and then come summer, it will also allow me to stream music to zone 3 on the patio. Does this app need to be "touch aware" to fully avail of the touchsmart facilities?

Coyzer
post #335 of 440 Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 PM

Hey guys, I guess this might be a good place to ask - I'm torn between a Denon AVR 2311/891 or a clearance 2065 for about the same price. I realise that the Denon is a little less powerful, but it does have the ABT 2015 video chip and HDMI 1.4 support (which may or may not be useful in the future for 3D). Did any of you compare against the Denons for sound quality, YPAO v Audessey etc? What do I gain in the 2065 over these Denons?
post #336 of 440 Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Guys, I'm considering bi-amping my paradigm monitor 9s to my 2065. If I do this, will I lose both zone 2 and zone 3? Or just zone 2? I need one of the zones to connect my patio speakers.

Also, does it matter which amp terminal goes to what speaker terminal (top row or bottom row)?

Please help
post #337 of 440 Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyzer View Post

Great app for the 2065 - well done and thanks! I am not a technical whizz at all, so can I ask a dumb question please? Do I need to run YARC from "new" every time I want to remote control the rxv? Can I add in a shortcut of some sort? I want this app to be wife friendly.

Well, in Windows you can make a shortcut of the .jar file on your desktop or in the start menu. I'm not sure if that's what you're after, and if you ever install a new version you'd have to replace the shortcut.

Quote:

I plan to get a new HP touchsmart in the kitchen and use that to stream music to the rxv to output to Zone 2 and then come summer, it will also allow me to stream music to zone 3 on the patio. Does this app need to be "touch aware" to fully avail of the touchsmart facilities?

My guess is it will just work, except that the buttons may be too small or too close together. But I really don't know anything about such touchscreen PCs.
post #338 of 440 Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Logics View Post

Hey guys, I guess this might be a good place to ask - I'm torn between a Denon AVR 2311/891 or a clearance 2065 for about the same price. I realise that the Denon is a little less powerful, but it does have the ABT 2015 video chip and HDMI 1.4 support (which may or may not be useful in the future for 3D). Did any of you compare against the Denons for sound quality, YPAO v Audessey etc? What do I gain in the 2065 over these Denons?

Hey guys - I thought this (AVS Forum) would be a good place to get some info on the 2065 and other amps, but no one seems to be able or willing to share their experiences. I would really like to know what people think of this amp - e.g. do you find it's great, do you wish something was different that may be addressed in the new lines, is HDMI 1.3 restricting things? What I really want to know from audiophiles who have compared various units is whether the sound quality is that much better - is it worth losing the features of the newer amps at the same price for the sound of the 2065?- I have listened to a few and they all sound good in the shop, but I don't really know what I am listening for in short term listening tests. I don't have a lot of cash to spend, and am almost tempted to get a used model until the cable standards sort themselves out - but can I assume that having an 8 channel analog-in gives some kind of future-proofing?
post #339 of 440 Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Why is it difficult to get people to talk about the 2065? :|
post #340 of 440 Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 PM

Hi There,

I have a problem getting my sub working. I originally bought the amp with a sub 2 front and 2 rear speakers. I've had to wait for my front speakers to arrive and was just using the rears as fronts and the sub. All good. Well... my front speakers arrived and I've run the auto config and its picked up all my speakers. The problem is that the sub isn't active for many of the settings (Sur Decoder, 7ch Enhancer, 7ch Stereo, Roleplaying Game, Action Game)...? I had been listening to music 'Straight Decode' mode (using the 'Straight' button on the front panel) and that previously used the sub.

Have I set something up wrong? Do I have enough bass already? Is that why the Subs not operating? Is there a way to get it going again?

Any tips would be most welcome.
post #341 of 440 Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukusc View Post

Hi There,

I have a problem getting my sub working. I originally bought the amp with a sub 2 front and 2 rear speakers. I've had to wait for my front speakers to arrive and was just using the rears as fronts and the sub. All good. Well... my front speakers arrived and I've run the auto config and its picked up all my speakers. The problem is that the sub isn't active for many of the settings (Sur Decoder, 7ch Enhancer, 7ch Stereo, Roleplaying Game, Action Game)...? I had been listening to music 'Straight Decode' mode (using the 'Straight' button on the front panel) and that previously used the sub.

Have I set something up wrong? Do I have enough bass already? Is that why the Subs not operating? Is there a way to get it going again?

Any tips would be most welcome.

RTFM!!!! OK for anyone interested after the automatic setup process you need to go into manual set up and set the base tones to play through the sub or both the sub and the front speakers. I'm guessing that I probably don't need a sub as there may be enough bass output from my front floor standers. If anyone could expand on this I'd be interested to know if that really is the case.
post #342 of 440 Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 PM

I logged a support issue with Yamaha for this issue over a year ago when I first "upgraded" my receiver from the 1065. I ended up purchasing a $100 Insignia to be able to get FM reception. Finally in August I was fed up with this work-around, so I started bugging them about a fix. Apparently the Axxxx series used the same chip and had similar issues, so Yamaha was forced to come up with a fix for those receivers & the support manager indicated that he was going to push to get the fix for the 1065 & 2065. The support manager was quite responsive once I was able to get in touch with him, and even gave me updates every few weeks for the status of the firmware fix.

I received a call on Thursday indicating that I could download the fix from their FTP site. I just had a chance to try it out and stations that were completely unlistenable are now listenable. There is one weak station that the Insignia pulls in with a lot of noise that the 2065 sporadically locks and unlocks, but for the listenable stations the firmware fix seems to have worked.

I don't know if the update is available generally yet, the version is V037_104_038, so you want to watch for that version or later.

So almost a year later, I finally have decent FM radio in my 2065. I will need to retry AM at some point, but I am not as interested in that.

If the network update doesn't provide that version, try again in a few days. I suspect that once they get enough feedback that it is working it will be generally released.

It was a long wait, I am glad that they could fix it with a firmware update (note that it updates the DSP firmware).

Enjoy,

-Dave
post #343 of 440 Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDorBust View Post

It was a long wait, I am glad that they could fix it with a firmware update (note that it updates the DSP firmware).

Enjoy,

This is great news, for ALL yamaha owners. Thanks for your persistence, and your patience! It appears to have paid off in spades. Personally I'm ok with Net Radio on my A2000, but my wife likes plain old FM, so happy wife = happy life.
post #344 of 440 Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
At least in the case of the 1065 Yamaha hasn't updated its support page yet...where's this FTP site?

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #345 of 440 Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM

I would suggest that you call or email Yamaha support and ask them to send you instructions on how to get the update for FM reception.

They have updates for A800, A1000, A2000, 1065 & 2065.

-Dave
post #346 of 440 Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Way back when I was all gamed up to get a 2065. Now the time has passed. Will Yamaha be releasing a 2067? If not what would be a comparable model. And yes, it MUST have a PHONO input.

Dominic
post #347 of 440 Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

Way back when I was all gamed up to get a 2065. Now the time has passed. Will Yamaha be releasing a 2067? If not what would be a comparable model. And yes, it MUST have a PHONO input.

Dominic

RX-A2000 is comparable.
post #348 of 440 Old 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

RX-A2000 is comparable.

Thanks.
post #349 of 440 Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM

I emailed support and they sent me the FTP and pass to get the update. It worked great, FM now works
post #350 of 440 Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Has anyone else had a problem streaming from WMP12? It can see the PC, and I can play any song or folder, but it only plays a short part of each song before jumping to the next song in the list.

Additionally, in WMP12, the receiver shows up in the list of devices in the Media Streaming Options dialog, but does not appear in the "Play To" context menu. I have a Samsung TV which DOES appear in the "Play To" menu, but not the Yamaha.

Any thoughts as to what might cause this?
post #351 of 440 Old 12-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramimac View Post

I emailed support and they sent me the FTP and pass to get the update. It worked great, FM now works

Support wouldn't send me update via FTP and insisted on mailing CD. Finally received a burned CD-R with the update in the mail today and after applying, FM finally works!

Only caveat is listening to a weak station that switches between HD and analog repeatedly. It would be nice to force stations to analog on weak reception. The issue is minor and I'm just happy to receive FM stations without constant dropout.
post #352 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Hey guys - I'm trying out a 2065 and don't think the sub is working well. On my old Yamaha and a new Denon 1911, I have no problems with booming bass on mid settings. On a flat curve on the 2065 it's barely audiable and running YPAO raises the channel level and increases the distances so you can hear it, but there's no room-shaking-wife-annoying levels coming from the sub. It's an old Yamaha powered sub that just has a level control. Any thoughts?
post #353 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Ultimately you just have to turn up the sub to the level you prefer (whether you run YPAO or not). But your old Yamaha probably had a higher pre-out voltage for the sub (Yamaha now uses 1.0V, and many older models were 2 or even 4V), in which case you'll have to start by turning up the volume with the knob on the back of the sub. Turn it up until it's loud enough that you can fine tune it with the level adjustment on the 2065. If the sub itself is set too low you won't have enough range on the level adjustment.
post #354 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Urgh, so what you are saying is that my old 4v pre-out is going to give a much louder volume than the new 1v? So basically, this amp is only going to work with much higher powered subs? Mine is only 45W, so what do I have to get if I want the same power as before (i.e. can I assume I'll need 180W?). Right now my sub at max volume is barely more noticeable than the front speakers. Would you happened to know off-hand what Denon use?

If I have read other articles correctly, then higher voltage pre-outs give a cleaner signal - why would they put a 1v pre-out onto a high-priced amp?
post #355 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Normally it's not a problem, you just need more gain in the sub (i.e. turn it up) to compensate for the lower voltage from the receiver, then it should still be able to play as loud as it did before. I had to turn up my sub moving from a 4V pre-out Yamaha (HTR-5760) to a newer one with 2V (RX-V1800), but now it's fine. If I only had a 1V pre-out I'm sure I still have enough room to turn the sub up some more. But in your case if the knob on the sub is already maxed out then I guess you may have a problem.

Are your main speakers extremely sensitive? That might contribute to the problem of trying to balance sub and mains.
post #356 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM

My main speakers are average, 90 sensitivity (87 center). The same speakers work on a Denon 1911 and HTR5830. I am just worried that the receiver is faulty and I don't have a way to test. Although the Sub is only 45W, the loss in power on the 2065 is huger than I would have expected. I have now spoken with Yamaha and they said it doesn't sound right.
post #357 of 440 Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 PM

Urgh, some sources seem to be okay. I don't know why the Denon doesn't have this problem. Meh, maybe I just need a better sub.
post #358 of 440 Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM

So my wonderful wife gifted me a 2065 as an early xmas gift. So far so good -- it's an infinite leap ahed from my ~20 year old JVC receiver.

The one sticking point I'm finding so far seems to the the HDMI control. I'm using this with a Panasonic S2 (and it's "Viera Link"). Sources are an upconverting Philips DVD recorder (on HDMI 1), a Tivo Premiere, and a basic HTPC (DVI > HDMI converter + RCA audio for now). None of the sources do HDMI control as far as I can tell. The Viera Link/HDMI control seems erratic, at best. The basics work - when I turn the TV off or on, the Yamaha turns off and on. But... most of the time it comes up trying to use the TV for audio (which since I have the TV speakers turned off, means no audio). I have the Panny set to default to "Theater" audio, but seem to have to go in via the Viera Link button and switch it each time.

Second, the Panny seems to want to command the Yamaha to a different input than what I last selected. Basically, It wants to select HDMI 1 at each power-up (correct on the TV for the single HDMI feed) but also command the Yamaha to HDMI 1 as well, which is where the DVD player is, not the TV which is what we watch 90% of the time.

I swear that both worked at some point while trying different things. At some point I did a Network firmware upgrade which of course reset everything to default. There's actually very few settings it seems for HDMI control.

Is there a specific order to syncing things? Hidden settings?

Thanks in advance.

-travis
post #359 of 440 Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 AM

Hey guys;

Does anyone know of a way to have the amplifier "detect" that there's 2ch or 5.1ch audio coming from my PVR and change the audio mode depending on what it receives? i.e. I want "straight" when the receiver is getting 5.1 but "7ch stereo" or something else when it receives 2ch stereo audio.

I know I can just push the buttons on the remote to change the surround mode, but it would nice if it were automatic.
post #360 of 440 Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM

I have come across another issue. My cable box is set to 1080i output, and it upconverts successfully. When connected directly to the TV there is no problem, but when put through the Yamaha via HDMI it will sometimes handshakes to 720p. If the correct HDMI port is selected (on or in pass-through mode) then it stays at 1080i, but otherwise the receiver somehow tells the box that it cannot operate at that resolution. The TV is native 1080p and as such 720p output doesn't look very good. Can anyone else replicate this problem? Is the 2065 handshaking incorrectly when a different input is chosen?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors