"Official" RX-V2065 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 440 Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting, I had been unable to get into Advanced Setup. I took my old RX-V4600 remote and hit the standby button, now holding "straight" followed by hitting the "main" button works. It turns out I already have the latest firmware, so no update needed.

jwgish: As far as a whole new code set, I think not, buttons on the old remote (for 4600) that have similar functions seem to work. The problem is the old remote had a "standby" button that you would use to turn it off and a "system power" button that would use to turn it on - it sounds like you found the "standby" code to turn it off, now you just need to find the "system power" code to turn it on. There is likely another code that does both that matches the 2065's main power button.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 440 Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 PM

I just got the RX-V2065 I am also having trouble with the FM and AM reception. It's almost non existent. I bought a Terk Amplified antenna and it helped some on the FM. It's great that it has HD radio, but just about worthless if you can't receive most radio stations. I really like the unit and wouldn't return it, but am disappointed with the FM and AM. Good thing I don't listen to radio to often with this Receiver. I upgraded to the lastest software, but didn't help this problem. If anybody has a solution, please post. Thanks
post #93 of 440 Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM

To enter Advanced Setup, press and hold the "straight" button and then press the power button. The display will show "Advanced Setup". Then turn the Program knob until you get to NET Firmware Update.

BTW - removing the AM antenna did very slightly improve the FM reception, but certainly not enough to be acceptable.

Jim
post #94 of 440 Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 PM

I filed a support case with Yamaha on Sunday, and heard back via e-mail today, asking me to call and discuss the issue. I was on the phone for about 45 minutes (mostly waiting) while the support rep also waited for responses from tier 2 support. They asked me some basic questions and suggested some things I had already tried, and in the end suggested I exchange the unit where I bought it. I explained that other buyers were experiencing the same thing, so I hesitated to exchange it for a unit that would likely have the same problem (assuming that if it is a design/manufacturing defect an exchange would probably be for a unit that was from the same lot). They gave me the names of a couple of authorized service centers to visit or ship the unit to. I called one in Newton, Mass which turned out to be a very small area distributor and not a service center and spoke to the rep there. He said that one of his dealers in Connecticut had reported the same problem, but didn't know exactly how he resolved it. However, he suggested I simply use the wire antenna that came with the receiver and see what happened.

Surprisingly enough, I went from receiving 3 stations to receiving about a dozen - most with good HD reception! The auto preset scanning manages to set 7 of them. With manual tuning I can actually pickup a couple of more with very good reception. Adding the supplied AM antenna did initially knock out 107.9, but fiddling with its positioning cleared that up. (I can also now receive WCRB 99.5 in HD which I had not been able to get clearly with my old receiver).

So, I'm satisfied, albeit a bit mystified why the simple wire antenna would work better than the powered Terk. (However, I've long since lost much confidence in Terk as I mentioned before, but still....) I'm sure we've all experienced strange antenna issues before, but this one is the oddest yet.

So, before any of you rush out to exchange your receivers, I suggest trying the cheap supplied antennas that came with the unit.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Jim
post #95 of 440 Old 11-25-2009, 06:41 PM

While on the phone today with Yamaha about the FM reception issue, I also described an HDMI control problem I was having:

(1) listening to Radio or Rhapsody with the GUI on (i.e. TV monitor showing FM selection or Rhapsody)
(2) press 'Display' to turn off the display (since you don't always want the huge display shining in your face when listening to music)
(3) press 'Display' again to make another selection with help of the GUI

The result of (3) is that the HDMI control kicks in and decides that you want to watch TV instead of looking at the GUI for the current input selected (tuner or Rhapsody). You then have to re-select your input and switch back on the display.

The rep checked what should happen and confirmed that this was incorrect behavior -- the only time it should switch when turning the Display back on is if the Dock had been selected. I don't really understand that case either, but didn't question it or think about it too much.

He logged the bug and we can expect that to be fixed in a future firmware update.

Cheers,
Jim
post #96 of 440 Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM

Jim,

I have an FM antenna on my roof (professionally installed), so I tried plugging in the simple wire antenna - not surprisingly I was unable to pull in any stations that are giving me trouble. I hooked up my older RX-V4600 to the roof antenna and I am able to get 92.5 and 92.9, neither of which can be received by the RX-V1065 (didn't even show up in the scan). 96.9 cuts out on the 1065 but is stable on the 4600 - so that seems to be a good reference station that is on the threshold.

I guess I will have to spend some time on the phone with Yamaha support next week. They probably have a reception threshold limit that is set to high (if there is a limit - the should be an option to adjust it). I still suspect it could be something as simple as a wiring fault inside the unit (crossing AM/FM grounds), but I don't want to open it up to see and void any warranty.

I am going to add a VHF amp on the line down in the basement to see if that will boost the signals enough. I could probably even add a pre-amp to the antenna on the roof - but it seems absurd to have to jump through so many hoops in order to receive stations that can be received by an older vintage receiver!

-Dave
post #97 of 440 Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 PM

I tried the wire antenna that came with my 2065. That thing picks up nothing. The Terk powered Tower antenna picks up about 6 FM stations. No AM at all. I read alot where people say the Terk doesn't work, but it does somewhat for me.
post #98 of 440 Old 11-28-2009, 11:02 AM

FYI...If anybody is interested NewEgg has the 2065 for $899 today with a free YDS11SL iPod dock and free shipping. They seem to be running this deal on Saturdays because I purchased my 2065 from them 3 weeks ago and when I checked on my order the very next day (Sunday) the price was back up to $1,299.00. I have noticed that they dropped the price to $899 and free shipping but only on Saturdays. They also have the 1900 for $899 and the 3900 for $1299 all with free shipping.

Oh and btw I had the same problem with my FM reception and I hooked up the chezzy antenna that came with it and it did a better job but not great.

Enjoy

p.s. I do not work for NewEgg I just thought you guys would like to know so if there's anyone sitting on the fence and was waiting on a better price to purchase one of these bad boys!
post #99 of 440 Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM

Hi All,

I have a question I hope somebody can help me with. My 2065 keeps changing my cable box back to the default settings every time I turn off the receiver (put it in Standby). I am using HDMI for all my connections... out from the box to in on the 2065 and out to my tv.
I set my cable box setting in it's menu and all is well until I turn off the 2065 and tv (Pioneer 5020HD). When I turn them both back on you can see the 2065 changing the HDMI output settings on my cable box back to the default settings. I have tried turning HDMI control on and off and also the HDMI Standby Through on and off with no luck. What am I missing?

If I hook up the HDMI cable directly to my tv all is fine but I really don't want this option. I'd like to run everything thru the 2065 as I have now. Is there something in the 2065 that keeps switching my cable box back to the default settings. Some sort of handshaking problem. I'm sure it's something that I am overlooking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #100 of 440 Old 12-04-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Try setting the monitor check to skip in the advanced menu.
post #101 of 440 Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM

WOW thats why I love this forum... Thanks BobL that seemed to work.
post #102 of 440 Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 AM

Wow! That Saturday Newegg sale of the 2065 that we were told about is on again today. I'm going to return mine to Best Buy as defective (hey-that's what Yamaha customer service told me to do anyway ) and I've already ordered a new one from newegg this morning -- almost a $500 savings from what I paid at Best Buy.

...and hopefully the tuner reception on this new one will be better, and even if it isn't paying the shipping charges to Yamaha service won't hurt quite so much.

Cheers,
Jim
post #103 of 440 Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM

I think it is time to upgrade my 2600...
post #104 of 440 Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would want to compare the two before concluding it's a real upgrade. They've added features since the 2600, but taken away stuff too.
post #105 of 440 Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I was looking at the specs last night, because of a question someone asked.

The 1900/3900 specs say it has over 1000 watts of max power draw. The 2065 less than 700.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #106 of 440 Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM

I returned my 2065 to Best Buy and hooked up my new one from newegg last night. The FM reception is about the same as before -- not that I really expected it to be any better. Not sure what I'll do next. However, at least I'm happy that I saved $500.

Cheers,
Jim
post #107 of 440 Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I was looking at the specs last night, because of a question someone asked.

The 1900/3900 specs say it has over 1000 watts of max power draw. The 2065 less than 700.

I don't see the two 'odd' x65 receivers (665 and 2065) listed on Yamaha's Japanese domestic market website (or did I miss them somehow?) Draw your own conclusions...

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #108 of 440 Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 PM

So I see a lot of comments questioning if this receiver is any better (and maybe worse) than the 3065 model. Has anyone really tested out the networking and multi-zone control? I want to use the receiver to access my iTunes collection on my Mac (I have media server installed and works with my PS3) and pipe the music through the receiver to speakers throughout the house. I also would like to use my iPhone with the Yamaha app to control the music sent to the other zones. I'd really like some user feedback if anyone's done this yet.
post #109 of 440 Old 12-22-2009, 01:08 PM

Can anyone tell me if this amp can stream music from a NAS?
post #110 of 440 Old 12-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgish View Post

I returned my 2065 to Best Buy and hooked up my new one from newegg last night. The FM reception is about the same as before -- not that I really expected it to be any better. Not sure what I'll do next. However, at least I'm happy that I saved $500.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim, I do not own this receiver, YET, but in reference to the FM reception I think it is related to the Pin Size related to the center conductor. This looks more like a European type F-81 on the back of the tuner.. Does the rear FM fitting have threads on it or is it a smooth surface for the FM antenna? When the antenna that Yamaha included worked that much better, I am thinking it is the size of the center pin. I have several high end, older Yamaha stand-alone tuners and it requires a special antenna fitting to work right.
post #111 of 440 Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM

I received my 2065 for Christmas from NewEgg ($899.00)
It arrived in 3 days with the Ipod docking station included
I tested the USB with a flash drive and it works great (shows the songs)
I played a blue ray movie and sound was excellent compared to my older RX
It has plenty of power and after 4 hours of music in an entertainment center
It never got HOT. My Old receiver was always running hot (SA-GX910)
I tested my outside Polk 55 speakers and they work great on zone 2
You can turn off the main speakers and adjust volume and input on zone 2/3
I setup my cable box with a digital cable input, my DVD with hdmi, and my Roku (wireless network) with hdmi (tuned to Pandora) it sounded much better than my old RX
I haven't hooked up a network cable form my router yet because it is too far away. I plan on ordering a Linksys WGA600N and connecting that way

But first I need to resolve the FM/HD reception. I have two other receivers
That have no problem picking up several stations, but this unit has very
Marginal reception (I tried two antennas, two different amps even the simple
Wire antenna) it just plays a station for 30 seconds then quits or mutes?
I also tried 3 or 4 connectors to the antenna plug on the receiver.

All in all I really like the receiver but the radio reception is pretty bad

Well that is my two cents worth, any other ideas? maybe I should send it
back and get a 3900 I havent heard of to many problems with that model?
post #112 of 440 Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Odd. My Z7 has pretty good reception. I would have thought both used the same tuner module (which Yamaha outsources for the Z7.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #113 of 440 Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 PM

FYI, Dell currently has a good deal on these (not as good as the NewEgg deal). They also sell the iPod dock at a discount.

I have an FM antenna on the roof, but with no amplification. My older RX-V4600 gets better FM reception using the same antenna (and I believe the 1065 did as well). I still haven't split the line to try adding an FM amplifier in the basement. The RG-6 is probably about a 100 foot run, so it would most likely improve with a pre-amp and a distribution amp, but I didn't need any of that for the RX-V4600.

The 2065 has a male F-connector that will accept an RG-6 female F-connector - but I haven't verified if there is an issue with the width of the center conductor.

Except for the FM reception and initial difficulty getting into the advanced menu, I have no other complaints about the 2065.

-Dave
post #114 of 440 Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 PM

Thanks for all the honesty in this forum about the FM reception issue. I was about to stretch a little and get the RX-V2065, but I got the now discontinued RXV863 to replace my old HK AVR-525. And I am happy to report the 863 gets good fm and and HD radio reception although I don't think the amp sounds as good as my old HK. I guess the 42lbs versus 26lbs makes an actual difference you can hear in the receivers. I like the song info on the 863 but guess I am missing the network functions in the 2065.

Richard
post #115 of 440 Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccparkhill View Post

Can anyone tell me if this amp can stream music from a NAS?

yes, but you need a nas with UPnP Media Server functionalities -
I'm using it right now streaming flac files from a nslu2 with ushare service installed -
the interface isn't excellent, I would say it does a "good enough" job,
cheers, cignu
post #116 of 440 Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Hi

I was wondering when you press the info botton and leave
it on eg. Artist/Song does it stay on that display info or change
when you go to another station?

Thank You

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #117 of 440 Old 01-06-2010, 06:48 PM

It appears that it keeps displaying the info, even if you change input sources and then go back to the tuner.

-Dave
post #118 of 440 Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM

Is there really a problem with reassign optical audio input to any of hdmi video input ? or is this fixed with any new firmware version ?
post #119 of 440 Old 01-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Liked: 11
This may be covered in threads for other similar Yamaha receivers, but I just spent a few hours trying to figure out why mine wouldn't decode Dolby Digital or DTS over HDMI. It would work over Optical, but not HDMI. The problem was that I set HDMI Audio out to Amp + TV. If you do that the decoder will stay stuck on PCM. You have to set HDMI Audio out to Amp (by itself) and then everything works as it should.

BTW - I got this one as an HDMI switching adjunct to my trusty old DSP-A1. This one is rather puny in comparison, but it gets loud enough for its intended purpose.
post #120 of 440 Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM

I have had my receiver for two weeks and can not connect to the internet. I know the network connection is working because I can share music from my PC. I've moved the connection to the DMZ on my router to remove the firewall. I've even attached directly to my cable modem. I have had the same problem with my media extender which works fine when I take it to work and connect. I have Armstrong cable and have read of others with extenders experiencing the same issue. Anyone on Armstrong cable who has successfully conected to the internet???. Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page