HT-R550 with DOLBY TrueHD and DTS Master - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone.

I'm new to the site as of yesterday, but I heard you guys are the best a/v forum out there.

My situation is this:

I have the Onkyo HT-SR800 "in-a-box" home theatre system with the HT-R550 A/V Receiver. I am going to get the new PS3 Slim in a few weeks to compliment my 65 inch 1080p DLP. I read from sony.com that the PS3 will support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio over HDMI. My only problem is that the HT-R550 only supports pass-through HDMI, so no HDMI anything. I currently have just a digital coaxial cable running from my DVD player to the receiver to get Dolby 5.1

The system is setup like a 7.1 system should be, except the back surround speakers that are extra if you are going to setup the system in 5.1 mode. The instructions said if 5.1 is active, the back surround will be turned off, so I assumed that back surround was the extra speakers that make 7.1 surround. I put the side surround speakers in the back where I had wiring setup. When I run my 5.1 setup, I have a digital coaxial cable running from my dvd player to my receiver, and it lights up 'DOLBY D" which I assume means 5.1 surround.

From what I've heard, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master are 7.1 lossless formats, and can only run over HDMI or "Multi Channel Out". I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade the receiver to a TX-SR507 or one that supports HDMI audio processing if I will only have a 5.1 setup and entry level speakers. Does it make more sense to just run a digital optical from the PS3 to my receiver and get Dolby D 5.1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The audio even by the legacy digital audio inputs is improved. I don't think it's worth it just for true lossless. A lot depends on the type person you are though.

Lossless is the holy grail of audio sources, if that is important to you, then you have to upgrade.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 390
If you keep the HTiB speakers I'd say its not worth it. If you plan to upgrade your speakers then yes. But if you're replacing the speakers and receiver you are basically buying a whole new system.

Afro GT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page