Rx-v3900 + hdmi + ps3 = no audio - help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-26-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I received my ps3 slim today. I was all prepared with my monoprice HDMI 1.3 Cat 2 certified cables to plug into my reasonably new RX-V3900.

So I plug the PS3 into the V3900 via HDMI and I get video up on my Samsung PN58B650, but no audio through the speakers.

In the 3900 menus I switch the HDMI audio through to the TV and I get audio from the TV speakers. Switch it back to AMP and I get nothing.

The indicators on the 3900 show PCM and LCRSLSR all active.

I see in the 3900 manual that it says (on pg 17) that HDMI supports DSD, DTHD, DDP, DTS-HDMA... No mention of PCM.

However since the manual recommends that HDMI is the preferred connection for all devices that have it, I am guessing PCM must be supported.

I tried setting the audio output to bit stream on ps3 and got no output either.

I have the same issue with my UVerse VIP 1200 box, but with that box I do not get the decoder indicator or the input speaker indicators so I can deal with that (TOSLINK cable) - people have indicated that these boxes have issues with audio over HDMI (though it seems to pass through ok).

I can hook up a TOSLINK cable to the ps3, but I would rather not since it does not seem like I should have to and it does not support the high res bitstreams (right?).

Am I missing something obvious here? I have the latest firmware on it 1008 - I think. Please help I am at my wits end here.

One more slightly off topic question - I have a Mac Mini and could not get it to output 1080p DVI - HDMI through the 3900. I could only get 720p. Any one have a setup like this working?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroncroz View Post

So I plug the PS3 into the V3900 via HDMI and I get video up on my Samsung PN58B650, but no audio through the speakers.

TV speakers, or receiver connected speakers?

Quote:

In the 3900 menus I switch the HDMI audio through to the TV and I get audio from the TV speakers. Switch it back to AMP and I get nothing.

Don't turn on HDMI audio out to the TV or you will likely limit the audio available from the PS3. (As HDMI will tell the player the TV's audio capabilities, not the 3900's.)

Quote:

I see in the 3900 manual that it says (on pg 17) that HDMI supports DSD, DTHD, DDP, DTS-HDMA... No mention of PCM.

The 3900 definitely supports PCM! Over both optical and HDMI. Optical is inherently limited to two channel PCM; HDMI supports eight channels.

Quote:

I tried setting the audio output to bit stream on ps3 and got no output either.

Output from the TV or 3900?

Quote:

I can hook up a TOSLINK cable to the ps3, but I would rather not since it does not seem like I should have to and it does not support the high res bitstreams (right?).

TOSLINK cannot transmit bitstream lossless or more than two channels of PCM.

Quote:

One more slightly off topic question - I have a Mac Mini and could not get it to output 1080p DVI - HDMI through the 3900. I could only get 720p. Any one have a setup like this working?

No clue

I have a PS3 hooked up to my 3900 with HDMI, the PS3 is set to output PCM and it works pefectly. I have HDMI audio to the TV turned off. You can send audio to the TV over HDMI in standbye mode which works fine.

I believe the slim, unlike my PS3 can output lossless bitstream to the 3900. So you should be able to enable bitstream, select TrueHD, and get TrueHD sent to the 3900 which will then decode it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

I should have been more clear...

When I select AMP I get no audio out either the TV speakers (as expected) and no audio out the receiver speakers.

When I select TV I get audio from the TV speakers as expected, so I know it passing through.

I know it passes it through my Uverse audio in standby too. That is what is so frustrating.

I will continue to fiddle maybe reset the whole thing and start over...

Thanks,
Kevin
post #4 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ok. So you know HDMI is sending audio. But your receiver is not playing audio.

Did you try hitting audio select on the 3900 remote until it said Auto?

post #5 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Yup - selected both Auto and HDMI from the audio select. No dice.

The audio status screen indicates PCM 3/2/0.1 as well, but no sound. I turned the volume up to 0db+ and there was nothing.

I am going to try a new cable tonight, but I have my doubts since audio through the TV works.

After that I will do a full reset on the receiver and see what happens.

Thanks,
Kevin
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very odd

post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Did you assign your hdmi to an input? Also make sure that your 3900 amp is assigned to the HDMI audio and not the TV.

<><

RTR
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well a phone call to yamaha was no help - they said it should work and it does not.

So I dropped it off at the local service center. They said I will have it back in 2-4 weeks

Oh well. Hopefully it fixes everything...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page