AVS Forum banner

PR-SC5507, check this new Prepro out

157K views 1K replies 173 participants last post by  konoyaro 
#1 ·
Just found this on the Europe Onkyo site...I was ready to upgrade my 885 to an 886. Not now!

9.2-Channel A/V Network Controller

PR-SC5507

The PR-SC5507 is designed specifically for the serious home theatre enthusiast seeking a sophisticated pre-pro to partner a high-end power amp. You get the very best in video processing, with HQV Reon-VX and 1080p upscaling of all video sources via HDMI™ 1.3a, plus ISF calibration for fine-tuning of video parameters. Along with the latest high-def audio formats from DTS and Dolby, the PR-SC5507 handles Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz and Audyssey DSX™—

AUDIO & VIDEO FEATURES

9.2-Channel Balanced Line-Level XLR Pre Outs (with Front Bi-Amping Capability)

2-Channel Balanced XLR Audio Inputs

Dual IR Inputs with Common Output

Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry

Neural-THX® Surround Decoder

Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files

Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function

RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control

Direct Mode and Pure Audio Mode

Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for All Channels

Front-Side Auxiliary Inputs (for Camcorders, Game Consoles, etc.)

2 USB Ports (Front/Rear) for MP3 Audio Devices (Audio Only)

Component Video Upscaling (Up to 1080i)

Component Video Switching (3 Inputs and 1 Output)

5 Composite Video Inputs and 2 Outputs

Color-Coded, 9 Multichannel Pre Outs

7 Digital Inputs (4 Optical and 3 Coaxial)

Independent Crossover Adjustment for F/C/S/SB/FH/FW (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/200 Hz)

A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 250 ms in 5 ms Steps)

40 FM/AM Random Presets with RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)

OTHER FEATURES

Gold-Plated A/V Inputs and Outputs

High-Rigidity Flat Chassis (1.6 mm Thick)

4 S-Video Inputs and 1 Output

5 A/V Inputs and 1 Output

Monitor Outputs (Component Video, Composite Video, and S-Video)

3 Audio Inputs and 1 Output

Phono Input

Gold-Plated, Machined Solid Brass, 19 mm-Pitch Audio Inputs (CD and Phono)

Color-Coded, 7.1-Multichannel Inputs

12V Triggers (A, B, and C) with Adjustable Delay

Onscreen Display (OSD)

IntelliVolume

Aluminum Front Panel and Volume Knob

Firmware Updates via Ethernet and USB

Bi-Directional Ethernet Port and RS232 Port

Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for the iPod

Bi-Directional, Preprogrammed, and Customizable RI Remote Control with Backlight, Onscreen Setup, Mode-Key LEDs, and Macro Presets for Four Activities

ADVANCED FEATURES

THX® Ultra2 Plus™ Certified

DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™, Dolby® TrueHD, and Dolby® Digital Plus Decoding

HDMI™ Version 1.3a to Support Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC

HDMI Video Upscaling to 1080p with HQV Reon-VX

DSD Direct for Super Audio CD

Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI (1 Front/7 Rear Inputs and 2 Outputs [Main/Sub])

Burr-Brown 192 kHz/32-Bit DACs (PCM1795 x 6) for All Channels

Ultra-Low-Jitter PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Circuitry to Improve Audio Quality

Three TI (Aureus™) 32-Bit DSP Chips (DA830 x 1, DA788 x 2) for Advanced Processing

VLSC™ (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) for All Channels

ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration

Audyssey DSX™ and Dolby® Pro Logic® IIz for New Surround Channels

Audyssey MultEQ™ XT to Correct Room Acoustic Problems and to Calibrate Speakers

Audyssey Dynamic Volume™ to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range

Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for Loudness Correction

Dolby® Volume for Reference-Quality Listening Experience at Any Volume

Network Capability for Streaming Audio Files (MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, LPCM)

Internet Radio Connectivity (Last.fm* and vTuner)

Certified with Windows 7 and DLNA Version 1.5

Bi-Amping Capability

Zone 2 and Zone 3 for Playback of Separate Sources in Other Rooms

Zone 2 Monitor Outputs (Component and Composite) and Zone 2/3 Subwoofer Pre Outs

D-sub (15 pin) Input for PC or Analog RGB

Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Optional Onkyo Dock for the iPod or DAB+ Radio Tuner

4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG (Role Playing Game)

2 Independent Subwoofer Pre Outs

* Firmware Updates over Internet

HD Radio Module- manual: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Accessory&p=f

IPOD/IPhone Dock- Manual: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...=Accessory&p=i

9/16/09- NEW: Comparison Chart between SC5507 and 886: post #479
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17541232

Benchmarks:

1) Announcement on Onkyo EU Site: 8/17/09

2) First EU Owner Review: 11/7/09...well the first one I know of

3) Announcement on US Onkyo Pro Website: 11/14/09

4) Joerod posted that he purchased New Unit: 11/15/09

5) First US Owner Review: ???????

Download Brochure: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...ex_leaflet.pdf

Intl Onkyo- Download English Manual: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/...7_manual_e.pdf

US Onkyo- Download Manual/may not have the manual at this time: http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own...t=Preamplifier

Here are some website:

11/3/09: AVS Forums, review of SC5507: http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo...ontroller.html

Video from IFA 2009: Display of SC5507 and more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GzKD...e=channel_page

The SC5507 webpage
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/products/PR-SC5507.html

AV Entusiast
http://www.aventhusiast.co.uk/new-on...3.htm#more-893

9/29 I also updated with better pic's

See less See more
#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/17084755

Hehe, you got everything right....well almost you need to move beyond those B&W speakers

Ouch

Forgot to mention, updated the images of the prepro on the thread cover. Also add the eu onkyo site for the prepro and an article on the unit.

#30 ·
#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher /forum/post/17086454

September availability?

Hey DC long time don't speak..

I know the Euros are schedule for Sept 1st, and I'm sure we're next right after that. Thing is we haven't received any announcements, the Pro onkyo website has not been updated no prices..Nada..But I know it will pop up any day now.

DJoel

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/17087625

But I know it will pop up any day now.

.......On shoponkyo (I can dream)
. You'll be the first to know after I heat up the Visa

Bill

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/17084646

The Pro refers to software and can be used with any of the Integra/Onkyo prepros, if you have the appropriate kit and licenses.

Thanks for the clarification

I recall reading that the Pro software talks to the RS232 port. Wonder if this can be done on the lower end integrated/receivers as well which have this RS232 port. The Pro software connectivity was never explicitly described in the manuals (not even in the SC886).

Quote:

No such thing exists. You probably mean the Audyssey Sound Equalizer. Pro, at the moment, refers only to software.

ah, sorry for the confusion. I listened to a setup that was calibrated with the Pro software and the enveloping of the surround channels was very good. Much more seamless.

Quote:

Thanks for posting my link.

I would be highly surprised if it did not.

Let us know when you get to try out the new Onkyos
My old 875 (which has the RS232 port as well hehe) is looking a bit dated these days.

I am also mulling over upgrading my Bel Canto REF1000s to Mk IIs. Did you ever make that switch in the end?

#37 ·
If I need just a pre/pro, is it worthwhile to just get SC 5507 or better the NR 3007 in case my power amp tanks in the future? Will there be AQ differences between the 2 if driven by a power amp. I don't need 9.2 as I will always be restricted to 7.1 Also 2 channel audio is not important as I have a seperate sytem for redbook CDs so this is only for watching BDs and SDs.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph /forum/post/17088184

If I need just a pre/pro, is it worthwhile to just get SC 5507 or better the NR 3007 in case my power amp tanks in the future? Will there be AQ differences between the 2 if driven by a power amp. I don't need 9.2 as I will always be restricted to 7.1 Also 2 channel audio is not important as I have a seperate sytem for redbook CDs so this is only for watching BDs and SDs.

The idea of having a AVR along with an amp is quite applying, as you always have some kind of back up no matter what goes out.Well depending on your luck that is...

How old is your amplifier? Some amps have long life span so I wouldn't worry much about that...About what has the better SQ between the 3007 and the 5507? it's too soon to tell.

Djoel

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/17087625

Hey DC long time don't speak..

I know the Euros are schedule for Sept 1st, and I'm sure we're next right after that. Thing is we haven't received any announcements, the Pro onkyo website has not been updated no prices..Nada..But I know it will pop up any day now.

DJoel

Hey back at you DJoel..........

Are you still running your Dali's?

#41 ·
Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the 807, 3007 all have separate binding posts for all 11 speakers. A few 807 owners have already hooked up all 11.1/2 channels and use the speaker layout button to toggle between the different modes to get the front wide or height .

But on the 5007 pre/processor, there are only 9 pre-out channels with either height or wide. So you can't really hook all 11 channels and experiment without having to do some cable swapping on the power amps.

Are there any 11.1/2 pre/processors in the horizon?

I know Denon's current flagship is rated for 11.1 but it doesn't have DSX/IIz. The extra 4 channels are for powered Zone 2/3 IIRC.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof /forum/post/17087896

Thanks for the clarification

I recall reading that the Pro software talks to the RS232 port. Wonder if this can be done on the lower end integrated/receivers as well which have this RS232 port. The Pro software connectivity was never explicitly described in the manuals (not even in the SC886).

You need more than a serial port; you need compatible firmware and the only place to check on that is with Audyssey or your AVR manufacturer.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/17089718

Yes
, how about you still with DT ST's?

Looking into getting the 5507?, sounds great and the one to beat at the moment.

Djoel

Yes, still running DT-ST's, although I'm contemplating a move to Acsend Sierra's and the new finishes

And Yes, the 5507 looks to be the ONE, or maybe the 5007.

What amp are you running with your Dali's?

dc

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieljoseph /forum/post/17088608

Myamp is 6 years old An EAD PM 1000.

Guess have to wait for the models to come out to see if there is a significant difference in AQ

I would just get the 5507 if it's in your price range, but that's just me. It's an awesome amp with just enough wattage, 200wpc.

One thing to consider is the new batch of avr/pre seem to be more spaced with features/dacs from one avr to another...I know last year's 806 avr and the Pre 886 seem to have close sq. Don't know how the new pre would do against it's other steroid siblings.

Just my dos centavos

DJoel

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher /forum/post/17089869

Yes, still running DT-ST's, although I'm contemplating a move to Acsend Sierra's and the new finishes

And Yes, the 5507 looks to be the ONE, or maybe the 5007.

What amp are you running with your Dali's?

dc

Cary Cinema 5 which I love for it' smooth,clean mids, and tight lows, but I have recently acquired a Mod-wright SL 36.5 pre and would love a Pass Lab amp
just for 2channel though.

DJoel

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/17089920

I would just get the 5507 if it's in your price range, but that's just me. It's an awesome amp with just enough wattage, 200wpc.

One thing to consider is the new batch of avr/pre seem to be more spaced with features/dacs from one avr to another...I know last year's 806 avr and the Pre 886 seem to have close sq. Don't know how the new pre would do against it's other steroid siblings.

Just my dos centavos

DJoel

the 5507 has no amp?5007has a amp?

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof /forum/post/17088946

Not sure if anyone noticed this, but the 807, 3007 all have separate binding posts for all 11 speakers. A few 807 owners have already hooked up all 11.1/2 channels and use the speaker layout button to toggle between the different modes to get the front wide or height .

But on the 5007 pre/processor, there are only 9 pre-out channels with either height or wide. So you can't really hook all 11 channels and experiment without having to do some cable swapping on the power amps.

Are there any 11.1/2 pre/processors in the horizon?

I know Denon's current flagship is rated for 11.1 but it doesn't have DSX/IIz. The extra 4 channels are for powered Zone 2/3 IIRC.

So no simultaneous FH/FW on the 5507 via either SB or Zone 2 preouts?

#50 ·
Evidently the local distributors are close to receiving their first shipments of 3007 and 5007. My local dealer has just priced them for me. 5007 MSRP $2500 Selling for $2100 and the 3007 MSRP $1900 selling for $1600. Neither is in stock today, but both are expected any day now. No word on the 5507.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.