PR-SC5507, check this new Prepro out - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1290 Old 11-28-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=FilmMixer;17583423]

In the past 3 years, I've owned...... and an Onkyo PR-SC885P+Wyred 4 Sound amp.

How did you like the sound of this combination? I have an 886 running with some older Marantz MA500 monoblocks, and was wondering how the 886 would sound with digital ICE amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1290 Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 215
[quote=lorjam;17617283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

In the past 3 years, I've owned...... and an Onkyo PR-SC885P+Wyred 4 Sound amp.

How did you like the sound of this combination? I have an 886 running with some older Marantz MA500 monoblocks, and was wondering how the 886 would sound with digital ICE amps.

+1. Please elaborate.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #633 of 1290 Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by europk View Post

BUT i live in Canada and cant find this for sale anywhere except overseas.

Does anyone in Canada have one of these, and where did you get it from?

Onkyo Pro is not sold in Canada. You need to either import it or buy it on the grey market.

Integra is sold in Canada, but only through dealers who do direct installations in theory only for installations the dealers are doing, not direct to consumer sale.
post #634 of 1290 Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

This is a bit of a loaded question as I didn't like it that much at all... and in all honesty I was pretty sure it was the Onkyo that I didn't care for.

I had an Onkyo 905 in my system and wasn't all that thrilled with that in comparison to the Denon 5808 and 5308 I had also owned... and not to start any "wars," put having owned the $2500 905, $5200 Denon 5308 and $7000 Pioneer SC-09 I don't think it fair to compare the 905 to the other products, and for me the Onkyo "flagships" at these price points offer a tremendous bang for the buck, but the Denon and Pioneer do offer something for the extra money, and the SC-09 is the best piece of gear I've owned as far as overall sound quality goes, even more so than my Anthem D2/A5...

My mixing partner got my Wyred 4 Sound amp, and in his room, with his 885, it sounds fantastic, and was a big step up from his 885/Emotiva amp setup.

I am a firm believer in the technology, and think they are the most effortless form of amplification per watt I've heard, without the heat... The products I've had all offered a sense of effortless push to them that I am used to hearing on the mixing stage... As I said earlier, in my room, having gone through so many systems, the 885/Wyred sound didn't impress.. and as I also said, it had the same "draw backs" I felt existed in the 905, which I attribute to everything about those products except the amps.

I suspect in talking with people who have owned the 905/906 (or similar 8xx series) Onkyo's who have now stepped up to the x007 series models feel there is a great deal of improvement in sound quality.

That being said, with all the things that have changed over the last three years with Onkyo, I think the 5507 and Wyred might have a spot in my system in the future.
post #635 of 1290 Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:

This is a bit of a loaded question as I didn't like it that much at all... and in all honesty I was pretty sure it was the Onkyo that I didn't care for.

I had an Onkyo 905 in my system and wasn't all that thrilled with that in comparison to the Denon 5808 and 5308 I had also owned... and not to start any "wars," put having owned the $2500 905, $5200 Denon 5308 and $7000 Pioneer SC-09 I don't think it fair to compare the 905 to the other products, and for me the Onkyo "flagships" at these price points offer a tremendous bang for the buck, but the Denon and Pioneer do offer something for the extra money, and the SC-09 is the best piece of gear I've owned as far as overall sound quality goes, even more so than my Anthem D2/A5...

My mixing partner got my Wyred 4 Sound amp, and in his room, with his 885, it sounds fantastic, and was a big step up from his 885/Emotiva amp setup.

I am a firm believer in the technology, and think they are the most effortless form of amplification per watt I've heard, without the heat... The products I've had all offered a sense of effortless push to them that I am used to hearing on the mixing stage... As I said earlier, in my room, having gone through so many systems, the 885/Wyred sound didn't impress.. and as I also said, it had the same "draw backs" I felt existed in the 905, which I attribute to everything about those products except the amps.

I suspect in talking with people who have owned the 905/906 (or similar 8xx series) Onkyo's who have now stepped up to the x007 series models feel there is a great deal of improvement in sound quality.

That being said, with all the things that have changed over the last three years with Onkyo, I think the 5507 and Wyred might have a spot in my system in the future.

Just the type of candid assessment I was looking for. Thanks.
post #636 of 1290 Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am interested in what these drawbacks are?
Are you referring to the analog performance?

Quote:

Have you heard the x007's?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #637 of 1290 Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt View Post

34% off MSRP is the best I have so far.

What's the MSRP? LOL. The non group price seems to be around $1700.

R
post #638 of 1290 Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

What's the MSRP? LOL. The non group price seems to be around $1700.

R

2350. (5507) 2300. (dhc80.1)
alan in cc
post #639 of 1290 Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

2350. (5507) 2300. (dhc80.1)
alan in cc

Please pm me if you found a price better than $1700 (including shipping). I can't participate in the group buy because they are using a CA company, and once you factor in the 10% sales tax then the net price goes above $1700.
post #640 of 1290 Old 12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I am interested in what these drawbacks are?
Are you referring to the analog performance?

Have you heard the x007's?

- Rich

Rich.. the "draw backs" were in regards to the overall sound quality of both the 905 and 885... it was a little "hazy" for my taste..

No.. Haven't heard the x007's yet.
post #641 of 1290 Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 PM

Liked: 11
If anyone else wants in on the 34% below MSRP shipped price deal now is the time to let me know. We are ready to pull the trigger.

sCiEnt
post #642 of 1290 Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rich.. the "draw backs" were in regards to the overall sound quality of both the 905 and 885... it was a little "hazy" for my taste..

I have the 886 and will order a 5507 soon.
I have noticed that the 886 does a much better job with high bit rate PCM than standard CD.

For example, I have a Yamaha DVD-C961 changer. This player sounds great playing CD's over HDMI. It sounds even better when I let it upscale CD's to 192K. It is just fantastic.

I tried an experiment with my HTPC playing the same CD. When I set the ASUS HDAV 1.3 slim up-sample to 192K it sounds more open and better resolved. There is a clear improvement is the decay high frequency sound.

I hope the 5507 actually up-samples.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #643 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space View Post

Please pm me if you found a price better than $1700 (including shipping). I can't participate in the group buy because they are using a CA company, and once you factor in the 10% sales tax then the net price goes above $1700.

Did you find any yet?
post #644 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Filmixer, do you have any pic's of your system?

Thanks
post #645 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Filmixer, do you have any pic's of your system?

Thanks

Yes....

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

Ohhhhhh... you were asking about my home theater.. short answer is no, as I dismantled the room about six months ago and got rid of the scree/projector set up.. at this time it's a 16x25 room with no acoustic treatments, hardwood floor, Def Tech STS's/10 C, a Denon 4310 and a 57" LED DLP RPTV.... nothing spectacular, and a little lively to say the least... might upgrade the AVR and go separates again in the near future...

PS.. that is my "home theater" away from home, i.e. work.
post #646 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Did you find any yet? WilsonL;17662520
View Post

Did you find any yet?

No, I sure haven't. I am going to hold off until I find a reasonable price. I don't have a hard-on for the 5507 as I am only running a 7.1 set-up. In fact, if the 886s were priced significantly lower, I would buy one of those. But, the 886 is priced only a couple of hundred less.
post #647 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

Did you find any yet?

Nope, that was and is a very good price for a brand new cutting edge piece of equipment. I am looking forward to receiving mine this coming Monday. I am sure it will sound outstanding coupled with our Parasound Halo A51 and Halo A23 amps.
post #648 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

I am looking forward to receiving mine this coming Monday. I am sure it will sound outstanding coupled with our Parasound Halo A51 and Halo A23 amps.

Cant wait to read your review of it!

sCiEnt
post #649 of 1290 Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes....

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

Ohhhhhh... you were asking about my home theater.. short answer is no, as I dismantled the room about six months ago and got rid of the scree/projector set up.. at this time it's a 16x25 room with no acoustic treatments, hardwood floor, Def Tech STS's/10 C, a Denon 4310 and a 57" LED DLP RPTV.... nothing spectacular, and a little lively to say the least... might upgrade the AVR and go separates again in the near future...

PS.. that is my "home theater" away from home, i.e. work.

Hi Marc,

Can you tell us a little about your home theater away from home?

Thanks.

Larry
post #650 of 1290 Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

I received the unit 10 days ago, at last.

I had to rearrange the whole room for this reason and it's going to take me several days untill all devices are back and correctly in place, fully operating. But, I was absent during the last 10 days or so, and my setup was left behind. I still continue on this.

During my absense, I had the manual with me and I tried to read it carefully.

I have two questions:

1) I could not find anywhere in the manual if an analog multichannel source, directly connected to its analog multichannel input, is supported by its internal adjustments: Speaker frequency cut-off, speaker distance, speaker level, subwoofer level, subwoofer frequency cut-off.

No matter how these adjustments are set (using the Audyssey software or setting them manually), I am trying to find out if these are retained or not.

I was able to read that the user can adjust the subwoofer performance with reference to its sensitivity, but this is all I could find (Pages 52 and 88 of the manual - Onkyo book S/N 29400078 of 2009, S/N found on the back cover of the manual).

I assume that the Onkyo has followed on the 5507 the commonly known path: It leaves the detailed adjustments on the source itself.

Has anyone come across this? I would appreciate your opinions.

2) Is there any difference in gain - apart from the obviously improved performance - between the XLR (balanced) and the RCA (unbalanced) pre out to the power amplifier(s)?

The reason I am asking this is that some of my power amps carry XLR (balanced) inputs and some don't (they have only RCA unbalanced input jacks).

To extend the meaning of this question, let me generalize it:

If you have a preamplifier that has XLR (balanced) and RCA (unbalanced) pre outputs and then you have two power amplifiers, one with an XLR (balanced) input and another with an RCA (unbalanced) one, theoretically both of the same specs, will it be any difference in gain - and driving of the amplifiers - between these two connections (apart from the obviously better performance)?

Thanks in advance

Technology helps you live better. Don't live for technology
post #651 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Panayotis Melas,

1) Can't help you here, just try it and you should be able to find out quicky enough.

2) There are differences in gain but there are also differences in gain from by amplifiiers. However, you can set the volume levels per channels so you should be able to accomodate it.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #652 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Panayotis Melas,

1) Can't help you here, just try it and you should be able to find out quicky enough.

2) There are differences in gain but there are also differences in gain from by amplifiiers. However, you can set the volume levels per channels so you should be able to accomodate it.

- Rich

Thank you, Rich for your reply.

Sure there are also differences in gain by amplifiiers. This is something that anyone, dealing with different type of amplifiers, has to take into consideration.

My question was focused on the Onkyo itself only. If I knew the differences in gain of it, I would be able to compensate any necessary changes on the connections and finally on the set-up.

But, as you pointed out, I assume that the final adjustment and set-up is done with the volume level, regardless of the signal gain on each separate power amplifier.

Thanks again.

Technology helps you live better. Don't live for technology
post #653 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I received this unit a few days back. For now i must say im very underwhelmed by it. I have always been a staunch Onkyo supporter. Maybe someone can help. I have only been able to do 5 position measurments as my lead for the microphone is too short to reach my rearmost seating positions. Can one extend the lead through a stereo mini jack extender or will this mess up the distance/timings.

Secondly Audyssey got the distance and sizes for all my speakers spot on, however, i must say something is missing in the audio. Everything seems more flat in terms of dynamic range as well as sounding leaner/brighter. If i turn off the Audyssey equlization, things seems much better, almost richer and no i would not say bloated and uncontrolled. I hope im missing something obvious. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #654 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post

I received this unit a few days back. For now i must say im very underwhelmed by it. I have always been a staunch Onkyo supporter. Maybe someone can help. I have only been able to do 5 position measurments as my lead for the microphone is too short to reach my rearmost seating positions. Can one extend the lead through a stereo mini jack extender or will this mess up the distance/timings.

Secondly Audyssey got the distance and sizes for all my speakers spot on, however, i must say something is missing in the audio. Everything seems more flat in terms of dynamic range as well as sounding leaner/brighter. If i turn off the Audyssey equlization, things seems much better, almost richer and no i would not say bloated and uncontrolled. I hope im missing something obvious. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Windshear, can you elaborate on what disappoints you about the unit? Is it simply how Audyssey is implemented in the 5507 or are there other aspects that leave you less than satisfied?
post #655 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is the exact reation I have had to Audyssey on my 885 and 886.
I use Pure mode for music since I have full range speakers and the 886 sounds great.

My 5507 just arrived. I will hook it up later tonight...

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #656 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just the audio so far is dissapointing, however i need to keep an open mind and try a few more things. Maybe i was expecting too much from Audyssey. I had been using the Rotel RSP 1068 the last few years and was more than happy with it. Its still a learning curve in terms of the implementations in the Onkyo , so time will tell.
post #657 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

Just the audio so far is dissapointing, however i need to keep an open mind and try a few more things. Maybe i was expecting too much from Audyssey. I had been using the Rotel RSP 1068 the last few years and was more than happy with it. Its still a learning curve in terms of the implementations in the Onkyo , so time will tell.

windshear,

Have you read the first post in the Audyssey thread? It gives great advice and examples on mic placement. I found the Audyssey thread to be very helpful especially the first post. There are a number of FAQ's and links that showed I really was not doing my calibrations correctly. You could also post in that thread regarding your question about extending the mic cable. Here is the Audyssey thread linked below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #658 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

This was my same reaction on my current Denon AVR after running Audyssey. I even used the AVSForum Audyssey guide. I disliked the sound so much that now I use pure for 2.0 music, and no equalization for 7.1 movies.
post #659 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I guess Audyssey is not for everyone as some do not like the results. I found it was very helpful in my room. With not using Audyssey one will miss out on Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. These two feature are excellent IMO especially when watching movies at lower volumes.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #660 of 1290 Old 12-09-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I also know that for some it sounds remarkably different than what they are used to, that it isn't necessarily bad, just new and, well, different... most speakers aren't flat, and most peoples rooms are not well treated, and when those things are corrected, it can sound a little flat and lifeless (no more bloated bass, and some early refections are reduced to the point of being acoustically gone)....

What I would suggest to those that aren't pleased with it is to give it three days of listening without turning it off (I would also defeat Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume during this time...)

Also, I would run it in at least 6 positions...even if you cannot get to the back row of seats, run the last three close to the listening position, or 4-5" in front of it at ear height...

After the three day experiment, turn it off and see how your room sounds to you... if it's better for you with out Audyssey, no harm, no foul.. you just happen to prefer it that way, and it isn't helping out with your setup..

But I would definitely give it a chance so you can adjust to it... it's like a calibrated display.... it looks very dark and washed out to those used to seeing displays in stores that are set to "Vivid..." But after you adjust, you might find you can't go back the other way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page