PS3 Slim to Denon AVR-4310 HDMI Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This issue is similar to the one posted by Corya29 on July 6, 2009, but not quite the same, and involves slightly different hardware. Not sure if the posts belong in the same thread.

I have a PS3 Slim hooked into a Denon AVR-4310 via HDMI, and the output of the 4310 going to a Samsung LED Series 8 TV, also via HDMI. The PS3 Slim is set to 1080p output.

The problem is that, periodically, the 4310 will cut out all output to the TV and speakers for about 1-3 seconds. First, the "DIG." light on the left of the front panel flashes (i.e. turns off, and a second or two later turns back on). Second, all lights on the left side of the panel turn off (LFE, FL, C, etc.). Then, the DIG. light comes back on, and a split second later all of the lights on the left side of the front panel turn back on, and the video and audio are both reestablished. This happens frequently, but not at fixed intervals. This problem makes the PS3 Slim/AVR4310 combo literally unusable/unwatchable.

In addition to the PS3 Slim, I have an Xbox 360 and a Tivo hooked into the 4310. Neither the Xbox nor the Tivo have any problems with the 4310.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Loose connection or bad HDMI cable?
post #3 of 39 Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Tried two different cables, same problem. Also tried a different HDMI input on the 4310, with the same result.

Interestingly, there are no issues when the PS3 Slim is plugged directly into the TV.

Off the cuff, it seems like the 4310 and the PS3 are having trouble negotiating their HDMI link, because the input/output "reset" occurs more frequently when the PS3 changes resolutions (between displaying movies, games, browsing, etc.).
post #4 of 39 Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM

I was have simmilar problem with denon 3808 and SONY LCD
temporary out of signal /1-2 sec/ - 4-5 times on every hour
It was very frustrating so two days ago I buy a Techlink HDMI cable /for about 50$/ and all problems are gone...

So you must try no only other cable but other and GOOD cable
post #5 of 39 Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Tried using a Monster "1000HDX THX" Cable ($100). The problem is still there. Going to return the Monster cable.

Informed Sony and Denon of the problem. Hopefully they patch it soon.
post #6 of 39 Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It's not just the 4310. I have an Onkyo receiver and I constantly have to eject and reinsert discs because the audio fails to work for no apparent reason. HDCP sucks. Period.
post #7 of 39 Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I *think* the problem is gone. Here is how:

During my phone calls with Denon, one of their reps mentioned that different HDMI inputs on the AVR-4310 have different signal paths. Specifically, higher numbered inputs have longer signal paths than the lower numbered inputs. He suggested trying a lower numbered input for the PS3 Slim. It worked!

Previously, I had the PS3 going into HDMI inputs 3 (and on occasion 4), with my Tivo going into HDMI input 2. I switched the two, and now the PS3 is plugged into input 2, and the Tivo is now in input 3. No audio/video issues for several days on either the Tivo or PS3.

I am just guessing here, but it seems that the shorter signal path is critical for a PS3 which outputs 1080p, and not as critical for Tivo, which outputs 720p/1080i max. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the same problem with the same receiver and the same TV. But in my case I get the flickering on any input if that input is 1080P. I called Denon and they said the receiver is bad and needs to be replaced. I have the replacement unit on order. Hopefully this resolves the issue. I tried updating the firmware on both the receiver and the TV.

Rodney
post #9 of 39 Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM

I have a similar problem with my AVR-3310ci and PS3. The PS3 "flickers" when input via HDMI. By that I mean green and rainbow flashes appear on the screen every few seconds. I am on my second AVR-3310, and I just bought a PS3 slim to see if that fixes the problem. I've tried various HDMI inputs of the AVR as well, no dice. Also tried about 5 different HDMI cables. Interestingly, the PS3-AVR HDMI connection also causes other problems on my AVR like loss of presets. There are no problems if I connect analog video instead of HDMI. Denon also tells me that the AVR is broken, but I've replaced it once already. I'm inclined to think that these two devices simply don't communicate properly over HDMI.
post #10 of 39 Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM

I am having what seems to be the same issue between my PS3 (original) and 4310. For me, if I let the PS3 output 1080p the screen flickers with a white band that fills most of the bottom half of the screen. If I switch the PS3 to 1080i output, the problem goes away.

I just called Denon, but they weren't any help. The had me do the following...

(1) Perform a system reset
(2) Switch HDMI cables
(3) Remove 4310 from the mix (problem goes away, but this isn't an acceptable solution)
(4) Turn scaling off/on (no change)

They wanted me to test with another 1080p device, but I don't have one to test with.

At this point, I am re-updating the firmware because I lost that during the system reset. Then, I'll go back to using the PS3 in 1080i mode and wait for a better solution from Sony/Denon.
post #11 of 39 Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by domovoy View Post

Ok, I *think* the problem is gone. Here is how:

During my phone calls with Denon, one of their reps mentioned that different HDMI inputs on the AVR-4310 have different signal paths. Specifically, higher numbered inputs have longer signal paths than the lower numbered inputs. He suggested trying a lower numbered input for the PS3 Slim. It worked!

Previously, I had the PS3 going into HDMI inputs 3 (and on occasion 4), with my Tivo going into HDMI input 2. I switched the two, and now the PS3 is plugged into input 2, and the Tivo is now in input 3. No audio/video issues for several days on either the Tivo or PS3.

I am just guessing here, but it seems that the shorter signal path is critical for a PS3 which outputs 1080p, and not as critical for Tivo, which outputs 720p/1080i max. Hope this helps.

I'm having the exact same issue with my 3310 and PS3 slim connected to a Panasonic 54v10 but I've only noticed the problem when I'm surfring the web; I'll have to check what input I have the PS3 connected to.

Thanks for reporting back your findings.
post #12 of 39 Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

I'm having the exact same issue with my 3310 and PS3 slim connected to a Panasonic 54v10 but I've only noticed the problem when I'm surfring the web; I'll have to check what input I have the PS3 connected to.

Thanks for reporting back your findings.

I'll be curious what you find. At first, I thought I had to be playing a game, but after doing more testing, as long as I was using 1080p I would see the flickering on the PS3 menu screen.
post #13 of 39 Old 10-31-2009, 02:39 PM

I have a similar issue with PS3 slim-4310CI-Sony KDL52XBR9.

1. Only TV and 4310CI on, the 'DENON' logo on the TV screen flashes white once or a couple times every minutes.
2. Turn on the PS3, the XMB flashes white every 2-10 seconds. This applies to web browning, DVD playback, and downloaded game but Blu-ray plays fine.
3. DirecTV and Samsung DVD player don't have this handshake issue.
4. Swapped the HDMI input and output with three different HDMI cables, found no help.
5. Played with 4310CI settings and PS settings didn't correct this issue.
6. This setup plays without any handshake issue described above with a Samsung LN52A750.

Now I need to know if I should replace PS3, 4310CI, or the KDL52XBR9?

Any help or comment is greatly appreciated.
post #14 of 39 Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM

I just posted this in another thread in the Playstation area, but this thread is a bit closer to home since most folks have Denons.

I'm having this flickering problem as well, though it doesn't seem to happen when playing a movie or game on a disc.

Equipment other than PS3 is Denon 4810 and Samsung LN-4671 LCD. I'm not using optical out for anything. I'm purely running HDMI from PS3 to receiver to LCD. If I go straight from PS3 to LCD via HDMI, I don't have a problem.

Heck, I even ran to Best Buy today and bought another PS3 (a Slim - I currently have an ol' 40GB fat boy) to rule out a defective unit. Same problem, though I'm kind of relieved that I don't have to buy another one!

I've switched out HDMI cables and used different HDMI ports on my Denon (though not sure I ever tried a lower number like 1 or 2 as suggested above - thought I originally had it on HDMI1 since that's DVD)...doesn't make a difference. I had assumed it was a video issue, but most people seem to be talking about audio signal issues in the other thread. I did notice that when the Denon freaks (causing the whole screen to go on and off at times) it does seem to indicate that it's losing all audio input signals (as the OP mentioned as well).

I'm trying the reassignment to HDMI2 (was using 4), to see if that shorter path (really?) does the trick. At the moment I'm not seeing much flickering, but it's still there a bit.

joelchan...given the number of people I've seen with this problem, across the spectrum of equipment (with the PS3 being the common denominator, of course), I really don't think it's a matter of having any defective units. This may very well be some sort of crappy HDCP issue.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Quick follow-up. Still plenty of flickering to be had after reassigning to HDMI2.
post #16 of 39 Old 11-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofg View Post

Quick follow-up. Still plenty of flickering to be had after reassigning to HDMI2.

I uncheck the 1080p output in PS3 under:
/Settings /Display Settings /Video Output Settings/ HDMI/ Custom

This makes the flickering go away while still capable of running 1080p/24 for blu-ray. However, 1080p now runs in 1080i. I have sent a note to Denon and will update my finding.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchan View Post

This makes the flickering go away while still capable of running 1080p/24 for blu-ray. However, 1080p now runs in 1080i. I have sent a note to Denon and will update my finding.

Please do report back if that does not completely rid you of the flickering. I've noticed that making changes may appear to solve the issue for awhile, but it just comes back.

For example, this morning I turned everything on in PS3 mode and it was sending the Denon 4810 into a tizzy with full screen flickering and complete momentary loss of signal (TV going to blue and Denon losing all input signals), i.e. the worst that it gets sometimes. I had already tried turning off 1080p in the PS3, or even everything but 720 and nothing worked, except that letting it go solely in 720 greatly reduced the flickering (and who knows for how long). That's obviously no solution anyway.

So, I decided to attack it from the Denon settings again. I set video to 1080p/24 only (instead of automatic) and the flickering went away. I couldn't watch for long, but it was clean for a couple minutes after having just gone haywire. BUT here's the thing - I realized in a moment that I had accidentally set the video via the analog submenu instead of the digital submenu. Since I'm running it via HDMI that should not have made a bit of difference, right? Yet it did. I just wanted to give an example of completely arbitrary acts seeming to fix the problem, only to (probably - will report back tonight) have it come back later.

As I previously mentioned, I don't seem to have this problem with movies (only tested on BR thus far) or disc-based games. I can get flickering in downloaded games and most often in the menu system. I suspect there's a resolution factor in play there, but I'm far from being an expert on this stuff.
post #18 of 39 Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM

I wanted to report back that the flickering came back despite my above tweak, which, again, makes sense given that I used the wrong (analog) submenu! So, I set the digital video (on the Denon - not PS3) to 1080p/24 only (instead of auto) and haven't seen flickering over the last few days. I haven't used the PS3 heavily, but it does appear to have fully remedied the situation.

Bottom line seems to be that, for most people, playing with the resolution on the PS3 OR the receiver (only the latter worked for me) fixes the problem.

1080p/24 seems to cause the scrolling text (top right) and such on the menu screens to judder a bit, but I guess that's a small price to pay if I don't have to deal with the highly annoying flickering issue.
post #19 of 39 Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchan View Post

Denon admitted my unit was defective after two long talks on Friday. I exchanged it for a brand new one, and flickering is gone for good (cross my fingers).
post #20 of 39 Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the update. I'd actually be surprised if this were a defective receiver issue, since it seems to happen across other brands and models as well, based on my internet research of the issue. But hopefully that will indeed solve your problem!
post #21 of 39 Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Interesting.
I've been using my PS3 with my 3310 on HDMI2 since July.
No issues whatsoever. Beautiful and artifact free picture everytime.
I'm just using a cheap "Blue Jeans" HDMI cable.

- John
post #22 of 39 Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Liked: 13
I have a Samsung 58" plasma (PN58B56075FXZA), PS3 60g, and A denon AVR-590 (1610).

I was having the same exact problem as houseofg, down to the letter.

I switched the resolution via the PS3 to 1080i and I have not seen flickering since. However, I still feel like I am now losing video quality so it isn't a complete victory. Is there any way to change the screens resolution via my 1610? I haven't found a way to do that yet. Thanks. guys.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Interesting, azula, that we are/were having the same issue, but benefit from a different fix. I can't do anything PS3-side to fix my flickering, but it remains gone with the Denon set to 1080p/24. If you have that option on your Denon, have you tried that? Sounds like it would be better than your current solution of setting the PS3 at 1080i.

We just got a firmware update for the Denon 4810 (which I think was for other models as well), so I'll have to see whether by any chance that allows me to go back to Auto instead of 1080p/24 fixed.
post #24 of 39 Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofg View Post

Interesting, azula, that we are/were having the same issue, but benefit from a different fix. I can't do anything PS3-side to fix my flickering, but it remains gone with the Denon set to 1080p/24. If you have that option on your Denon, have you tried that? Sounds like it would be better than your current solution of setting the PS3 at 1080i.

We just got a firmware update for the Denon 4810 (which I think was for other models as well), so I'll have to see whether by any chance that allows me to go back to Auto instead of 1080p/24 fixed.

I'm not sure if I am able to change the resolution on my AVR 590. I have to do some research and find out if that option is available for me. Also, I need to check for the latest firmware as well. Let me know if you have any updates, thanks man.
post #25 of 39 Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Well, checking back in after giving the new firmware a run on my Denon 4810 with the PS3. I went ahead and switched back to "Auto" for video on the 4810 and....no flickering! I haven't used the PS3 heavily lately, but enough that the flickering would have normally shown itself on "Auto". Perhaps Denon fixed it! I'll report back yet again if it does return.

Were you able to update the firmware and/or try a video setting on your receiver, azula?
post #26 of 39 Old 12-04-2009, 08:11 AM

I am having the same problem with my new STR-DN1000. This is actually my second one because I returned the first one for doing the same exact thing. I have a wii and comcast cisco dvr box connected to it and both work flawlessly.

The PS3 will work like a champ with BlueRays and games on disc. But I tried to play a couple games on my harddrive and it would just start flickering to the point where you could not even play any more. Even the XMB menu was flickering everywhere. I tried turning the video settings to 1080i and 720p and would still eventually start flickering.

I was starting to think that my old reliable fat 40gb ps3 was starting to give out on me until I hooked it up directly to my TV and it works perfectly. I switched out the HDMI cables 2x with to new HDMI cables and flickering still kicks in. I also reset all the settings on my PS3 and nothing Any ideas on any settings I can change or anything?
post #27 of 39 Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Well...yes. Just read my posts above, Drogo. You are having the exact same issues (and non-issues) that I was. And I likewise had no problems with my PS3 connected directly to the TV. I even bought a new PS3 to test it - same problem immediately.

Denon appears to have fixed my issues via firmware, but you should definitely play with the video resolution settings on both the receiver and PS3 end.
post #28 of 39 Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 AM

hey house, just to give you an update. i just purchased a new PS3 slim (like you) and it is still flickering when my PS3 is set to 1080p. my denon avr 590 does not have the capability to change the resolution settings because it is just a pass through. hopefully they will release new firmware so i can get this resolved like you. my question for you is that, if i have the PS3 set to 1080i, does that mean my blu-rays will display in 1080i as well? Thanks.
post #29 of 39 Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM

azula - So, if it's purely a pass-through, I wonder why you get flickering. Do you get it when you connect the PS3 directly to the TV??

I would have to believe that, yes, your PS3 is limiting even blu-ray output to 1080i if that's where you've set its output resolution.

Like me, you don't get flickering during blu-ray playback regardless, right? I know it's not the best solution but maybe turn it back to 1080p when playing discs..? Compare in both modes and see whether you can even tell the difference.
post #30 of 39 Old 12-04-2009, 10:29 PM

Well here is an update on the STR-DN1000. I swapped positions with my comcast cable box which was working perfectly on HDMI 1 and put comcast on HDMI 3. Well guess what! PS3 works perfect now and comcast dvr picture when watch tv is all torn up and skipping.
Think I have a defective box?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors