Pre-Pro and Power Amp Advice Needed for 9.1/11.1 System $5,300 Spending Limit - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Pre-Pro and Power Amp Advice Needed for 9.1/11.1 System $5,300 Spending Limit
Audiodork's Avatar Audiodork 08:47 AM 09-07-2009
Hello,
5300 Dollars is an excellent budget for strictly processing and amplification. The choices are staggering. I do advocate purchasing outboard amplification regardless of whether or not a AVR is chosen to handle processing.

Emotiva is a popular choice on this forum. And with good reason as they offer excellent value and performance. I am personally a fan of Parasound for my amplification needs and they do offer a 10 year warranty. Not as good as Bryston's 20 year warranty, but still excellent coverage and awesome amplifiers.

It terms of a AVR/SSP, I have been quite pleased with Onkyo and really think they offer a great deal of functionality for a very competitive price. The forthcoming PR-SC5507 would be my choice as well.

Regardless, with your budget, you are going to be able to get some excellent gear that should last for years.
Cheers,
AD

EAS's Avatar EAS 08:47 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Which amplifiers do you recommend over the Emotivas in which to apply the savings of purchasing an Onkyo AVR versus their new prepro?

Larry

Larry, I really don't have much to offer in this area. I haven't owned any current amps in this price range. To me what I read on this forum tells me the Emotivas are making a lot of people happy. I hope people aren't assuming I'm recommending against Emotivas by suggesting the OP spend a greater proportion on amps.

I'm not sure how the speakers listed are rated. That might be important to find out.

There isn't a great deal different between the 5507 and a TX-NRx007. I do think the XLR's are nice to have though in the 5507.

For an AVR the Denon AVR-4810CI looks good on paper. I'm sure the insurance company would be happy to do a direct replacement with an AVR for 3k list. I'd probably be more than happy with it. The speculation is that it can do DSX wides and hights as well.

Do we need to make sure we include amps with 11+ channels even though we are looking at 9.x pre/pro options for future proofing?
LarryChanin's Avatar LarryChanin 10:12 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
5300 Dollars is an excellent budget for strictly processing and amplification. The choices are staggering. I do advocate purchasing outboard amplification regardless of whether or not a AVR is chosen to handle processing.

Emotiva is a popular choice on this forum. And with good reason as they offer excellent value and performance. I am personally a fan of Parasound for my amplification needs and they do offer a 10 year warranty. Not as good as Bryston's 20 year warranty, but still excellent coverage and awesome amplifiers.

It terms of a AVR/SSP, I have been quite pleased with Onkyo and really think they offer a great deal of functionality for a very competitive price. The forthcoming PR-SC5507 would be my choice as well.

Regardless, with your budget, you are going to be able to get some excellent gear that should last for years.
Cheers,
AD

Hi,

The choices may not be as staggering as you think if we're talking about new gear, not open box or refurbished units. For example, I totally agree with you about Parasound amplifiers (since that's what I use ). However, lets price up some new, lower cost Parasound amplifiers similar in wattage and number of channels to what the original poster suggested.

Two - Parasound - 2250 250-Watt THX Ultra2 Two-Channel Amplifier @ $1,349 each
One - Parasound - 5250 250-Watt THX Ultra2 Five-Channel Amplifier @ $2,749

So for 9 channels at 250 watt/channel (total 2250 watts)= $5,447 or more than the entire budget. (These are not list prices)

The original poster had:

One - Emotiva XPA-2 250 watt Two-Channel Amplifier @ $800
One - Emotiva XPA-3 200 watt Three-Channel Amplifier @ $600
One - Emotiva XPA-5 200 watt Five-Channel Amplifier @ $800

So 10 channels 2@250 watt and 8@200 watt (total 2100 watts)= $2,200 (These are list prices)

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Larry
LarryChanin's Avatar LarryChanin 10:20 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

Larry, I really don't have much to offer in this area. I haven't owned any current amps in this price range. To me what I read on this forum tells me the Emotivas are making a lot of people happy. I hope people aren't assuming I'm recommending against Emotivas by suggesting the OP spend a greater proportion on amps.

Hi,

You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

If you got an inexpensive(ish) 9.2 AVR like the upcoming Onkyo TX-NR1007 and use it as the pre/pro and then spent the rest on really good AMPs you may be in a better future proof position.

So yes, I thought you were recommending against the Emotivas in favor of "really good AMPs".

The reason I asked specifically for your recommendation gets back to the practical issue of the original poster's budget. If you look at my previous example for an alternate manufacturer with a good reputation, you can see that the costs get out of hand in attempting to duplicate what the poster had in mind.

Larry
Audiodork's Avatar Audiodork 11:23 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

The choices may not be as staggering as you think if we're talking about new gear, not open box or refurbished units. For example, I totally agree with you about Parasound amplifiers (since that's what I use ). However, lets price up some new, lower cost Parasound amplifiers similar in wattage and number of channels to what the original poster suggested.

Two - Parasound - 2250 250-Watt THX Ultra2 Two-Channel Amplifier @ $1,349 each
One - Parasound - 5250 250-Watt THX Ultra2 Five-Channel Amplifier @ $2,749

So for 9 channels at 250 watt/channel (total 2250 watts)= $5,447 or more than the entire budget. (These are not list prices)

The original poster had:

One - Emotiva XPA-2 250 watt Two-Channel Amplifier @ $800
One - Emotiva XPA-3 200 watt Three-Channel Amplifier @ $600
One - Emotiva XPA-5 200 watt Five-Channel Amplifier @ $800

So 10 channels 2@250 watt and 8@200 watt (total 2100 watts)= $2,200 (These are list prices)

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Larry

Hello,
Larry, you are correct. The nine channels of amplification being needed is a game changer. I have just used and loved Parasound's amplifiers for over a decade and think the world of them. Of late, I have been using a HCA-2205AT to drive 3 channels of Martin Logan's(Vista, Stage) with either a HCA-3500 or an Aragon 8008BB driving my Vantages.

On a lark, I hooked up all channels to the 2205 and have been amazed at how well the amp drives 5 channels of very demanding speakers.
The Halo A51 is almost a clone of the HCA-2205AT with the A51 offering slightly more capacitance (164,000 A51/ 150,000 2205AT) and a slightly larger transformer (2.2 kVA A51/ 2 kVA 2205AT) so I guess it is not too surprising how well it sounds. In fact, I am thinking of keeping the amplifier as is and setting up a 2 Channel system with the 3500 or 8008.

It is a shame the OP cannot purchase used gear as (2) 2205AT could be had for around 2500 Dollars. As opposed to 4,000 Dollars for one A51.
AD
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 11:35 AM 09-07-2009
Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice, it is greatly appreciated. Does anyone know of a place where I can demo any of this equipment? Or are there any AVS members in the NH or MA area who own any of it that I could check out? Feel free to pm me. Thanks in advance
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 11:38 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:

Cheers,
AD

Thanks, I am looking forward to it once all of the research is done and everything is finally in place.
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 11:42 AM 09-07-2009
Quote:

I have just used and loved Parasound's amplifiers for over a decade and think the world of them. Of late, I have been using a HCA-2205AT to drive 3 channels of Martin Logan's(Vista, Stage) with either a HCA-3500 or an Aragon 8008BB driving my Vantages.
AD

How do the Parasounds sound compaired to Bryston amps? i have always loved Bryston but they are out of my price range
EAS's Avatar EAS 11:47 AM 09-07-2009
Larry, I understand. My comments were more strategy than tactical.

I still wonder about the ratings for the OP's speakers and if the AMPs mentioned are appropriate. If a person was going with the Emotivas why not simply 2 XPA5's?

I've seen Parasound 5250's for right around 2k retail. A52's as well. I'm sure the OP might have some good in person luck with locals sales reps given the occupation.
Audiodork's Avatar Audiodork 12:12 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

How do the Parasounds sound compaired to Bryston amps? i have always loved Bryston but they are out of my price range

Bryston has really stepped up their game since the release of the SST series. Prior, I was not nearly as enthusiastic about them. I do love their 20 year transferrable warranty.

Parasound really makes excellent amplifiers. In fact, Martin Logan and many other companies use their amplifiers at trade shows and demonstrations.
I believe it was Wilson Audio who once famously used a $650.00 HCA-1000a to drive a pair of $10,000 Dollar Sophia's. They had a huge mega buck amp displayed and had the 1000a hidden later revealing it was the 650 Dollar amp driving the speakers.

I personally prefer the Parasound amps which were designed in consultation with John Curl. This would include the Halo Series and the now discontinued HCA Series. If you can buy preowned, I cannot recommend enough the HCA-2205AT that I use. I love it and even at the original 2500 Dollar MSRP, is an awesome value.
Cheers,
AD
Denophile's Avatar Denophile 01:00 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:

Thank you so much for your advice. The Onkyo does sound very promising and would fit the bill as for the power amps, I wish I had the capacity to HEAR and demo some different amps but sadly we live in Southern NH and there aren't very many high-end AV shops that have the goods on hand in our area. I would even be willing to go into the Boston area in order to demo some equipment, especially the Onkyo pre-pro.

If there are any AVS members in the NH or MA area who have any of the seperates equipment that have been recommended throughout this thread(excluding the new Onkyo pre-pro because it has not been released yet, but I guess listening to the previous model Onkyo pre-pro would give me some idea as to how it sounds/works) and would be willing to invite me over to listen to it, or if anyone has any idea where I could go to demo any of the equipment mentioned, PLEASE PM ME! Thanks in advance

hey there!! im in southern nh and there are some great places in tax free nh. fidelis av in derry is one and they have many different brands--check the website. also ensemble in nashua. i believe the wensites are fidelisav.com and ensemble-hometheater.com.
cheers

oh yes--i have sunfire/carver amps, focal speakers, and a parasound c1 ptepro if youre interested.
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 01:04 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile View Post

hey there!! im in southern nh and there are some great places in tax free nh. fidelis av in derry is one and they have many different brands--check the website. also ensemble in nashua. i believe the wensites are fidelisav.com and ensemble-hometheater.com.
cheers

Thanks, will do!
Nascar_984's Avatar Nascar_984 05:39 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:

Amps don't have a sounnd, look at what they measure at and see if they can drive your current speakers.
Bill Mac's Avatar Bill Mac 06:00 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:

cheers

I second both Fidelis and Ensemble. I have been to both, to demo some Aerials at Ensemble (went with Dynaudio) and Fidelis to demo a Cambridge integrated. At both places the sales staff was very friendly, knowledgable and no pressure at all. Several places in the Boston area are Spearit and Goodwins both are excellent as well. But it is hard to beat tax free NH.

Bill
Denophile's Avatar Denophile 07:25 PM 09-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 View Post

Amps don't have a sounnd, look at what they measure at and see if they can drive your current speakers.

so the answer is "similar" then. and yes, some amps do introduce colorations.

these two are not likely to however.
LarryChanin's Avatar LarryChanin 07:47 AM 09-08-2009
Hi,

Confirming the ball park figure I provided for the Onkyo prepro, this annoucement puts the Integra version of it at $2,300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

The Ceida announcement has the Integra pricing for the two new processors.

"the two new preamp-processors, the $1,200 DHC-40.1 and $2,300 9.2-channel DHC-80.1."

"Among the two new preamp/processors, both feature ISFccc video calibration, Dolby ProLogic IIz, Audyssey DSX, Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, and two HDMI outputs. Other features in the $1,200 model include Faroudja DCDi 1080p upscaling, Audyssey MultEQ room correction, and seven HDMI inputs. The $2,300 models features step-up HQV Reon-VX 1080p upscaling, step-up Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction, and eight HDMI inputs. The $2,300 model also adds Dolby Volume, second-zone component video, and eight HDMI inputs compared to the other models seven HDMI inputs."

Larry

EDIT:

Here's is the complete official announcement:

Integra Adds Multiple Technologies In Broad Launch
EAS's Avatar EAS 08:06 AM 09-08-2009
To save people the trouble... The 40.1 is a 7.2 channel pre/pro.
Nascar_984's Avatar Nascar_984 01:46 PM 09-09-2009
Quote:

so the answer is "similar" then. and yes, some amps do introduce colorations.

these two are not likely to however.

Unless the THD of the amp is greater then that of the speaker it is not going to matter.
Saturn94's Avatar Saturn94 09:34 AM 11-14-2009
Quote:

Hello,

Cheers,
AD

Regarding the Parasound warranty, as of Jan 2009 they no longer offer the 10 year warranty. The Classic series is 3 years now and I believe the Halo series is 5 years.
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 10:19 AM 11-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Regarding the Parasound warranty, as of Jan 2009 they no longer offer the 10 year warranty. The Classic series is 3 years now and I believe the Halo series is 5 years.

You are correct, Parasound Halo amps have a 5-year warranty. Now if ONKYO would get on the ball and release the PR-SC5507 pre-pro here in the USA I could complete our HT set up.
Jmouse007's Avatar Jmouse007 10:26 PM 11-30-2009
My original post along with my Equipment choice UPDATE Enclosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007

"I have a question, I am looking at using Parasound Halo 21 2.1 amp with my Def Tec 7001 main speakers and Parasound Halo A51 5.1 amp for my C/L/R 2002 center and 4 BPVX surrounds. Anyone using these amps with Definitive Technology Speakers? I auditioned the amps today (more detailed than the Anthem amps I also checked out) but did not have access to Def Tec speakers. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance."

UPDATE:

Hi guys, thanks for all of your input. FYI I decided to go with the Parasound Halo A51 5.1 amp with my Def Tec 7001 main speakers, my C/L/R 2002 center and 4 BPVX surrounds. I went with the Parasound Halo A23 2.1 amp for the front ambient height speakers because they do not draw nearly as much current as everything else and the signals that are fed to them carry a lot less information.

For my rack I ended up going with a VTI BLG 404-13 in black with black shelves = 13" 9" 9" and a 7" shelf configuration (This set up includes an additional 9 inch shelf). You can see an example of what I bought here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17272154

This AVS member has the exact same Parasound amps that I own and the 13" bottom shelf on the rack can handle the height, width and DEPTH of both Parasound amps (the depth of the A51 along with the total weight of both these amps combined were a big reason behind the rack choice. Boy was picking the right rack for this particular set of equipment an agonizing process... groan.

I am pairing the Parasounds with a ONKYO PR-SC5507 pre-pro that has been ordered:

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

As for XLR cables, I ordered 7 (seven) 1meter Emotiva X-Series Balanced XLR Cables:

http://emotiva.com/xcables.shtm

Well, what do you think of this set up and my equipment choices?

I have never heard TRUE HD or DTS HD, ever and am really looking forward to having an audio system that does justice to our SONY VPL-VW60 pj, our SONY BDP-S550 bluray player and our 100" STEWART Firehawk SST retractable electriscreen.

Thanks again to everyone here on AVS, your advice and support are greatly appreciated, I could not have done ANY of this without you!
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop