Pre-Pro and Power Amp Advice Needed for 9.1/11.1 System $5,300 Spending Limit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a "dilemma" and need pre-pro amp PLUS power amp equipment advice for our home theater; About 5 months ago we had a power surge that caused our flagship Yamaha receiver to go on the fritz (it's protection circuits kick in and shut the receiver off after it is turned on anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 hours after it is turned on without any rhyme or reason). Anyway, it has been deemed a total write off and our home owners insurance has offered to replace it.

Because our receiver was a 9.1 receiver, they have settled on replacing it with the Yamaha RX-Z11 (Retail list $5,300). Because of AVS, I know this unit has had some ongoing HDMI video problems and frankly, I think I want to avoid buying another all-in-one receiver because if one little thing goes wrong, the whole thing is kaput I explained this to the insurance people and they have told me that I can replace it with ANYTHING that will do the same thing (power our 9.1 AV system up to that amount. Here is the deal; we have a $5,300 spending limit and ONE YEAR TO MAKE OUR PURCHASES. This means, there is no "RUSH" to have to go out and get the first thing that comes along or the current technology.

A lot has changed technology wise in audio and video since our last purchase. We have some time and since I will never probably have these kind of funds to do this again, I want to do this right the first time and purchase the best bang for the buck I can for the money that will provide us with the best sounding/performing AV euipment for our home theater THAT WILL BE AS FUTURE PROOF AS POSSIBLE. This is the equipment we currently own:

Sony VPL-VW60 pj
Sony BDP-S550 Bluray player
STEWART 100 Firehawk SST Film Screen
Oppo 897 DVD player
Definitive Technology SC7001 main speakers
Def Tec 2002 Center Speaker (I would eventually like to purchase the C/L/R 1000)
Def Tec BXP (unpowered) Surrounds (rear surrounds and front L + R ambient surrounds)

Anyway, I am thinking about buying a super pre-pro with the best video switching and video enhancement/processing I can find along with the best audio processing I can find for (HDMI 1.3 or 1.4?) Some AVS members have talked about the new Onkyo pre-pro that is about to come out for this but I do not know because I have no experience with Onkyo and the new pre-pro only has ONE HDMI out (we have a projector and a TV and it would be nice to be able to have both on watching two different things) and besides, other new products are coming out. I am prepared to wait quite a while until they are on the market (Emotiva is coming out with a pre-pro but I do not know if it will be as good as the Onkyo or other pre-pros on the market.) I could even use a receiver to serve as the pre-pro but I do not know if this is a good option.

Denon is also coming out with some new receivers but after the Yamaha fiasco I do not think that would be wise to buy another all in one receiver and I have a feeling the system will sound better with separates. On top of that, I believe Onkyo's equipment tends to be over priced and overrated.

Regarding the POWER AMPLIFIERS, I had never herd of Emotiva before I came to AVS. I know that they are coming out with a new 7 channel amp that is 300 watts but I do not believe I need that much power. Nor do I know if it will sound as good as their other amps because it is going to be a "Class H" amplifier (what ever that means) but who knows?

I looked at Emotiva's web site and have been reading reviews. I thought of this as a possibility for the amp section of my set up. Is this a good idea or do you think I should look to another manufacturer, or power amp product or should I wait for Emotiva's new 7.1 amp and pre-pro to come out?

I thought of the following as a possible set up option:
Emotiva XP-a2 to power my front main speakers
Emotiva XPA-3 to power the front left and right ambient speakers along with powering the center speaker
Emotiva XPA-5 to power all of the remaining surround sound speakers.

The above provides enough separate power for a 10.1 system.

What do you think of the above as a set up? Please provide me your positive and negative (if any) responses to the above. Is it a good set up or should we wait for the new stuff from Emotiva or look elsewhere (I have always liked the sound of Bryston but it has always been financially way beyond our reach. How does Emotiva sound in comparison, any idea?)

I have never heard Emotiva amps before and would be taking other peoples word for how good they sound and since you are well acquainted with their equipment and own it yourself I thought I would contact you.

Someone on the forum strongly suggested the B&K 200.7 as a 7 channel amp that would be an alternative to the Emotivas. Since it is only a 7 channel amp I would need another amp to power my main speakers (Def Tec SC 7001's) What do you think of purchasing two B&K 200.7? This would power our mains and future-proof our system for any expansion of surround sound speakers. IF not, does anyone have any suggestions for a separate amp that could power our Def-Tec SC7001's?

As for the PRE AMP, Any suggestions? Several people have strongly recommended I go with the new ONKYO PRE-PRO amp that is going to be released soon. How does it stack up to Denon or any other company in that price range? I can only afford to do this once and need to make the right choices for the VERY LONG TERM.

I am in the ministry and this has never been a possibility before now. We have NEVER had the ability to spend this kind of money on the AV end of our system before and because of our financial situation we will probably never have this opportunity again so I need to buy right the first time.

I look forward to your input and equipment suggestions and advice.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to respond.

P.S. We love our SONY VPL-VW60, is there a pre-pro out there that has video processing that can even make our pj's projected image even better? That would be helpful because I plan on holding onto it for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post

Some AVS members have talked about the new Onkyo pre-pro that is about to come out for this but I do not know because I have no experience with Onkyo and the new pre-pro only has ONE HDMI out ....

Not so. From the user's manual:
HDMI IN 1-7, OUT MAIN, and OUT SUB
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) connections
carry digital audio and digital video.
The HDMI inputs are for connecting components
with an HDMI output, such as a DVD player, Bluray
Disc Player, DVD recorder, or DVR (digital
video recorder). They're assignable, which means
you can assign each one to an input selector to suit
your setup. See HDMI Input Setup on page 49.
The HDMI outputs are for connecting a TV or projector
with an HDMI input.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not so. From the user's manual:
HDMI IN 1–7, OUT MAIN, and OUT SUB
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) connections
carry digital audio and digital video.
The HDMI inputs are for connecting components
with an HDMI output, such as a DVD player, Bluray
Disc Player, DVD recorder, or DVR (digital
video recorder). They’re assignable, which means
you can assign each one to an input selector to suit
your setup. See “HDMI Input Setup” on page 49.
The HDMI outputs are for connecting a TV or projector
with an HDMI input.

Still isn't that 7 HDMI's IN and only 1 ONE out? How can someone run two different video sources AT THE SAME TIME via two different HDMI out cables to two seperate units: 1 HDTV and 1 1080p projector when the Onkyo pre-pro only has ONE out? I do not understand? What do I do if I want to run two different displays showing two different things at the same time? It does not appear that the Onkyo pre-pro can do this. Am I mistaken?
post #4 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has 2 HDMI outputs.
  • OUT MAIN
  • Out SUB

Please see the image of the back of the unit.

You cannot run two different sources out the two HDMI outputs. The outputs are Mirrored.

If you want to run two separate TV's with separate feeds you want separate units. No other way.

The point of the two outputs is to run another TV and a the same content to another zone.

If I were you I would wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months so you can get something better than our choices today.
LL
post #5 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jmouse007, since there is no rush I would wait for the new onkyo processor and go with the emotiva amps. If you go with B&K you will be paying more for the name, don't worry how an amp is going to sound look at the specs and what an amp can and can't do.
post #6 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar_984 View Post

Jmouse007, since there is no rush I would wait for the new onkyo processor and go with the emotiva amps. If you go with B&K you will be paying more for the name, don't worry how an amp is going to sound look at the specs and what an amp can and can't do.

Thanks, I will probably take your advice however, one thing I have noted is that the Damping Factor is 450 on the B&K and it is a lot less on the Emotiva amps so that is one concern that I have, especially since I have never heard their amps live. Also several AVS members who have owned Emotivas have recently moved on to a different manufacturer.

I feel totally out of my depth regarding seperates but I believe this would be the best way to go. I haven't bought a seperate power amp since 1980 (A PSE power amp 85 watts per channel, I gave it to our son and it is still running as strong and sounds as good as the day I bought it. As a matter of fact, he lent it to us and it is running our system at this time until we are able to purchase a new pre-pro and power amps!)
post #7 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post

It has 2 HDMI outputs.
  • OUT MAIN
  • Out SUB

Please see the image of the back of the unit.

You cannot run two different sources out the two HDMI outputs. The outputs are Mirrored.

If you want to run two separate TV's with separate feeds you want separate units. No other way.

The point of the two outputs is to run another TV and a the same content to another zone.

If I were you I would wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months so you can get something better than our choices today.

Thanks for your help and for clarifying the situation for me.
post #8 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I will probably take your advice however, one thing I have noted is that the Damping Factor is 450 on the B&K and it is a lot less on the Emotiva amps so that is one concern that I have, especially since I have never heard their amps live. Also several AVS members who have owned Emotivas have recently moved on to a different manufacturer.

I would not worry about it since emotiva have been proven through a ton of buyers and reviews. People have moved on from emotiva if they want something with more power or a different class of amp like a switching amp.
post #9 of 51 Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Still isn't that 7 HDMI's IN and only 1 ONE out? How can someone run two different video sources AT THE SAME TIME via two different HDMI out cables to two seperate units: 1 HDTV and 1 1080p projector when the Onkyo pre-pro only has ONE out? I do not understand? What do I do if I want to run two different displays showing two different things at the same time? It does not appear that the Onkyo pre-pro can do this. Am I mistaken?

Yes.

HDMI IN 1–7, OUT MAIN, and OUT SUB means that there are two outs, main and sub. Both can operate at the same time but with the same source. No single prepro, afaik, can handle two video sources and outputs simultaneously.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #10 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Still looking for advice and recommendations... Bump
post #11 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Is this for a church or for your home? How big is the space?

Why 9.x? I'm not dismissing the fun factor, but there are some really nice solutions out there for 7.x and 5.1 that can be had for a small fraction of what you would pay for newer bleeding edge 9.x.

If I were you and money is tight I'd be modest in your purchase and stick with 7.1 and take the money you save and obtain content to enjoy the system. Maybe buy some sound panels etc.
post #12 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Why 9.x? I'm not dismissing the fun factor, but there are some really nice solutions out there for 7.x and 5.1 that can be had for a small fraction of what you would pay for newer bleeding edge 9.x.

If I were you and money is tight I'd be modest in your purchase and stick with 7.1 and take the money you save and obtain content to enjoy the system. Maybe buy some sound panels etc.

Did you even read the thread before commenting? His insurance company is paying to replace his old receiver. He has a 9.x system.
post #13 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

Did you even read the thread before commenting? His insurance company is paying to replace his old receiver. He has a 9.x system.

Yes, I still think spending the money differently is a valuable option.

Did you have something to add or did you just want to attack another member for giving an opinion?
post #14 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
the parasound c3 should be coming out early next year and hopefully this delay will mean they are making sure it is as future proof as is possible but frankly i dont believe anything is gonna work when 3d becomes the standard in a few years.

as for the amp--the b&k is a great option, used sunfires are great (I have one that i got new), people seem to like emotivas.

i have the same pj too...
cheers
post #15 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The space is 26' X 13 1/2' and it is for home/personal use. Under the terms of the settlement, the funds all have to go towards replacing the 9.1 Yamaha receiver (this is the set up we had before and after the power surge, two additional front height ambient speakers on either side of the screen) and the monies can ONLY be spent on equipment that will serve this purpose. The good news is that it does allow me the flexability to go with pre-pro and power amp seperates. This is why I am asking for recommendations.

Technologically a lot has changed since we purchased our 9.1 Yamaha receiver (it did not have HDMI inputs, outputs, video enhancement or switching capabilities) and I am quite out of my depth, hence my request for advice.
post #16 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Did you have something to add or did you just want to attack another member for giving an opinion?

I just find it amazing that your comments give nothing useful to the op. He explained his situation and how the money had to be spent.
post #17 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I would consider AVR's that can do 2 HDMI out (same source) and component out for the second zone. You can run the component to a component to HDMI converter that is cheap at monoprice -- this would allow you to have the same picture on both displays when you want to using HDMI and watch something different on display 2, but it is still HD

That can be done with reasonably priced AVR's and still leave plenty of money for the amplifiers.

Due to morality issues I am guessing you would never buy something for $5,300, submit the receipts, return it and get something different . I would never recommend something like that.......
post #18 of 51 Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you send a link to the AVR that has the built-in sound treatments? Must be a DR Gadget function or something....
post #19 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just find it amazing that your comments give nothing useful to the op. He explained his situation and how the money had to be spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Can you send a link to the AVR that has the built-in sound treatments? Must be a DR Gadget function or something....

Wow. It's so strange to me that you guys are such haters. What value is this serving. I'm posting out of interest. If you don't like my contributions you really don't need to post. What's the point?

First, most insurance companies will cut you a check. Even though the poster is talking about the insurance company buying a certain unit this is most likely not the case. I've never had an insurance company force me to buy any replacement when equipment was damaged. I've always quoted the fair replacement with 3 price quotes. The company verified the prices and cut me a check. I'd recommend that the OP explore how this must work with his company. Often this might not be super clear esp if the info is coming from the adjuster. Reading the fine print and asking the right questions could be fruitful.

With regard to considering 'downgrading' from 9.x. I was not sure what was in pace, what the room is like or the intended content and consumers. However, I'm pretty confident in saying that proper sound treatments offer more bang for the buck than extra speakers in a poorly treated or untreated room. I'd even go so far as to say that a 7.x system in a properly treated room WILL sound better and offer better spacial imaging than a 9.1 system in an untreated room.

So, if the main objective is to give the audience the best possible sound experience and use $5300 wisely I'm just offering as an alternative idea taking the money, buying really good 7.x equipment, treating the room and maybe allowing for buying content to enjoy in the room.

If you both care to comment and offer constructive or alternative ideas feel free. If you are just going to attack read the forum guidelines first.

Even if the OP's insurance company makes them buy a single 9.x item for $5300 there are still ways to convert the unit(s) back into cash. Think outside the box and be open minded.
post #20 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I feel totally out of my depth regarding seperates but I believe this would be the best way to go. I haven't bought a seperate power amp since 1980 (A PSE power amp 85 watts per channel, I gave it to our son and it is still running as strong and sounds as good as the day I bought it. As a matter of fact, he lent it to us and it is running our system at this time until we are able to purchase a new pre-pro and power amps!)

Take a look at Rotel's line up of ICEpower amps, they've got a few different channel configurations so with a couple of units, (that combined would be smaller than any one of the Emotivas) you could do as many channels as required. I believe it's the 15xx series now and they may still have the RBM-1077.
post #21 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for the PRE AMP, Any suggestions? Several people have strongly recommended I go with the new ONKYO PRE-PRO amp that is going to be released soon. How does it stack up to Denon or any other company in that price range? I can only afford to do this once and need to make the right choices for the VERY LONG TERM.

Hi,

As far as comparing prepros that have been released, or for which detailed information, i.e. manuals, spec sheets, etc., have been released, I think it will be very difficult to find a 9.2 prepro that has more features at the expected price point, ~$2,200 - $2,400, than the Onkyo PR-SC5507 or its sister the Integra DHC-80.1. I'm not familar with every prepro on the market, but the current Denon AVP goes for about $7,000 - $7,500. The Marantz prepro, which I believe is around $2,600, doesn't have the best implementation of Audyssey room correction. In my opinion Audyssey should be an important aspect of your decision process.

I think your idea to go with the Onkyo and separates, and even multiple amplifers has merit. I am not familar with the Emotivas, but obviously they are very competitively priced and with your budget constraint they makes sense mated with the Onkyo if you are serious about switching to separates using new gear. I don't know your speaker power requirements, but due to its importance, I would try to have a capable center channel speaker and would be thinking of supplying it with as much watts/channel as you mains if possible.

Good luck and enjoy!

Larry
post #22 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Wow. It's so strange to me that you guys are such haters. What value is this serving. I'm posting out of interest. If you don't like my contributions you really don't need to post. What's the point?

First, most insurance companies will cut you a check. Even though the poster is talking about the insurance company buying a certain unit this is most likely not the case. I've never had an insurance company force me to buy any replacement when equipment was damaged. I've always quoted the fair replacement with 3 price quotes. The company verified the prices and cut me a check. I'd recommend that the OP explore how this must work with his company. Often this might not be super clear esp if the info is coming from the adjuster. Reading the fine print and asking the right questions could be fruitful.

With regard to considering 'downgrading' from 9.x. I was not sure what was in pace, what the room is like or the intended content and consumers. However, I'm pretty confident in saying that proper sound treatments offer more bang for the buck than extra speakers in a poorly treated or untreated room. I'd even go so far as to say that a 7.x system in a properly treated room WILL sound better and offer better spacial imaging than a 9.1 system in an untreated room.

So, if the main objective is to give the audience the best possible sound experience and use $5300 wisely I'm just offering as an alternative idea taking the money, buying really good 7.x equipment, treating the room and maybe allowing for buying content to enjoy in the room.

If you both care to comment and offer constructive or alternative ideas feel free. If you are just going to attack read the forum guidelines first.

Even if the OP's insurance company makes them buy a single 9.x item for $5300 there are still ways to convert the unit(s) back into cash. Think outside the box and be open minded.

Not a hater at all. I just think it's slightly pompous when someone asks for advice about specific equipment, and your response is something to the tune of "If I were you, I wouldn't get what you need or want, I would get this instead, because I know more about your requirements than you do."

Also many insurance companies require you to purchase the gear and the provide a receipt for reimbursement.
post #23 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 AM
EAS
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not a hater at all. I just think it's slightly pompous when someone asks for advice about specific equipment, and your response is something to the tune of "If I were you, I wouldn't get what you need or want, I would get this instead, because I know more about your requirements than you do."

Also many insurance companies require you to purchase the gear and the provide a receipt for reimbursement.

word302, Did you have something to add to the topic or is your purpose to only post off-topic and opinions about other members? I see you haven't offered even a single post in response to the OP. If you want to continue criticizing me and my posts you can feel free to PM me. Heck give me your number and I'll call you. I'm very human and well meaning. Lets keep things on topic.

Since I think I've explained pretty well the insurance options and being able to convert even something you have purchased and been reimbursed for by the insurance company to cash I'm not sure what your issue is unless attacking me is somehow personal for you. If you go back and re-read all of my posts you will also see that I qualified my opinions as my own.

Considering a possibly poor room with 9.x and a treated room with 7.x for the same outlay which would you chose? Sure, to you and some others this might sound like a radical idea because 9.x MUST be better. But, realistically speaking we know the OP is tight on cash and by thinking about the true end product, great sounding space, it's valuable to think about how to get there. Do you disagree? Why do you think it's pompous to suggest looking at the solution in a different way? I'm not even sure the word works in this case.

I can further explain why I think it's valuable to consider all components of the systems instead of blinding replacing the AVR if you or the OP would like more. If I didn't know that the budget was fixed and money was an issue I wouldn't even bother posting follow ups. The OP is in the ministry as well so out of respect for that work I've considered the situation more than I would have normally. If the OP was a stock broker with lots of income and we were talking about replacing a receiver I think we would all be throwing all sorts of idea$ at it.

Sound treatments offer by far the most impact to a home theater.
post #24 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Don't get personal guys. Stay on topic please.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #25 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Liked: 11
Can part of that go towards speakers? If so I would buy a submersive, spend another $2300 on the fronts and use the last $1000 for a receiver. Upgrade that later when u can find what u want
post #26 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Due to morality issues I am guessing you would never buy something for $5,300, submit the receipts, return it and get something different . I would never recommend something like that.......

"Get thee behind me Satan"

In actuality, from a moral standpoint, I could not do this. Besides, the insurance company has been so generous and understanding regarding our situation (I mean how many Insuance companies out there actually care about replacing the home owners high-end AV equipment for what it was worth? That is unheard of these days.). So we have every intention of honoring our agreement and living within the generous constraints of the settlement, which means we get to spend the money on replacing what we had with exceptional AV equipment that is technologically up to date!

By the way, I am still looking for suggestions from AVS member in the know regarding the replacement pre-pro and power amps, thanks in advance
post #27 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

As far as comparing prepros that have been released, or for which detailed information, i.e. manuals, spec sheets, etc., have been released, I think it will be very difficult to find a 9.2 prepro that has more features at the expected price point, ~$2,200 - $2,400, than the Onkyo PR-SC5507 or its sister the Integra DHC-80.1.

I think your idea to go with the Onkyo and separates, and even multiple amplifers has merit. I am not familar with the Emotivas, but obviously they are very competitively priced and with your budget constraint they makes sense mated with the Onkyo if you are serious about switching to separates using new gear. I don't know your speaker power requirements, but due to its importance, I would try to have a capable center channel speaker and would be thinking of supplying it with as much watts/channel as you mains if possible.

Good luck and enjoy!

Larry

Thank you so much for your advice. The Onkyo does sound very promising and would fit the bill as for the power amps, I wish I had the capacity to HEAR and demo some different amps but sadly we live in Southern NH and there aren't very many high-end AV shops that have the goods on hand in our area. I would even be willing to go into the Boston area in order to demo some equipment, especially the Onkyo pre-pro.

If there are any AVS members in the NH or MA area who have any of the seperates equipment that have been recommended throughout this thread(excluding the new Onkyo pre-pro because it has not been released yet, but I guess listening to the previous model Onkyo pre-pro would give me some idea as to how it sounds/works) and would be willing to invite me over to listen to it, or if anyone has any idea where I could go to demo any of the equipment mentioned, PLEASE PM ME! Thanks in advance
post #28 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes k View Post

Can part of that go towards speakers? If so I would buy a submersive, spend another $2300 on the fronts and use the last $1000 for a receiver. Upgrade that later when u can find what u want

No, speakers are not a part of the deal, in all good conscience I have to stick to equipment that will replace the receiver. If I did have the money I would buy the Def Tec C/L/R 3000 center, but allas, I have to stick with the conditions of the settlement, which as I have mentioned, is not a bad thing
post #29 of 51 Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

I'm actually an ordained minister, truth be told. If the insurance company rules state that you must purchase and they don't give an option for payout I honestly don't see any moral reason you cannot purchase the replacement and then sell it to another party. Of course your position may be different.

If you got an inexpensive(ish) 9.2 AVR like the upcoming Onkyo TX-NR1007 and use it as the pre/pro and then spent the rest on really good AMPs you may be in a better future proof position. The thinking is that AMP's are pretty future proof. Pre/pro's aren't. Get a decent reasonably priced pre/pro with the idea that you will end up replacing it in 2-5 years. Also, who knows you may just find that the TX-NR1007 has enough power for you and you can think about selling the amp(s).

The TX-NRx007's are very attractive, but they all suffer with not being able to support front and wide DSX at the same time. Not sure if that means anything to you. The 5507 pre/pro mentioned earlier has the same limitation.

Do you care about video scaling at all?
post #30 of 51 Old 09-07-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm actually an ordained minister, truth be told. If the insurance company rules state that you must purchase and they don't give an option for payout I honestly don't see any moral reason you cannot purchase the replacement and then sell it to another party. Of course your position may be different.

If you got an inexpensive(ish) 9.2 AVR like the upcoming Onkyo TX-NR1007 and use it as the pre/pro and then spent the rest on really good AMPs you may be in a better future proof position. The thinking is that AMP's are pretty future proof. Pre/pro's aren't. Get a decent reasonably priced pre/pro with the idea that you will end up replacing it in 2-5 years. Also, who knows you may just find that the TX-NR1007 has enough power for you and you can think about selling the amp(s).

The TX-NRx007's are very attractive, but they all suffer with not being able to support front and wide DSX at the same time. Not sure if that means anything to you. The 5507 pre/pro mentioned earlier has the same limitation.

Do you care about video scaling at all?

Hi,

Which amplifiers do you recommend over the Emotivas in which to apply the savings of purchasing an Onkyo AVR versus their new prepro?

Larry
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page