While researching my upcoming purchase of a home theater system (first one for me), I stumpbled across this wonderful forum about a week ago. Spent hours researching and am coming close to making decisions on components. I would like to get your feedback on the choices I make:
- AV Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR806 - Best price seen so far is $640 + Taxes but free S&H on Amazon.
- Definitive Technology Procinema 800 Speaker System - Best price I have seen so far is about $900 + taxes but free UPS Ground Shipping (eBay). As an FYI, I was able to convince my wife not to insist on Bose system (just the name does it for her) in return for me looking for better speakers that are not too large. These seem to fit that bill.
Both prices (as quoted above) are new, I have not yet looked at Refurbs. I have also not looked at buying separate speakers from different companies, like I have some some others mention on this forum.
I have a SONY 52" BRAVIA® V Series LCD HDTV (KDL52V5100), Dish netwrok and will be replacing an old Insignia 5-DVD Carousel with a new one (possibly from Sony). I will be adding a Blue-ray player and a Wii around November. I know that these are still far fewer components that I have seen many others talk about (I certainly won't ever have all 3 - XBOX, PS3 & Wii).
I had decide a budget of about $2000 for AV receiver + Speakers + 5 DVD carousel + Blueray DVD player combined. I am pretty close to the budget range and can exceed it a bit if I really need to.
My questions to you guys are:
1. Is the above the best combination of AV Receiver + Speakers or can I do better without exceeding my budget too much? We spend as much time (if not more) listening to music in the background as watching TV / Movies.
2. I have seen a lot of folks talking about Onkyo TX-SR805 vs. Onkyo TX-SR806. Is there a consensus on which one is better or is it still an unsettled issue?
3. Is there a "better" speaker system I should be considering that are still not too large? After all, size matters for my wife and when it comes to speakers, smaller is better!
4. Should I really look in to building speaker components from different companies than getting a "speaker system" from one company? I thought that evolving from an initial consideration of an HTIB (Onkyo HT-S9100) to an AV Receiver + Speaker System from 2 different companies was sufficient and I am honestly not sure that I could recognize the difference in audio quality if I were to put together a speaker system with different parts from different companies.
5. Any recommendatons for DVD Carousel & BluRay or do they not matter with quality AV receiver & speakers?