Pioneer 919AH-K, 1019AH-K, H/K AVR 254 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new receiver and speakers.

The speakers I am looking at are the H/K HKTS15, My brother in-law has them and they sound amazing to me.

However, he has the H/K AVR 354 which is out of my price range...

So I was looking first between the Pioneer 1019AH-K and H/K AVR 254. Then in looking at the specs of the 1019, I noticed that 919 is $200 cheaper and does almost the same thing...

I figure I don't need the extra input on the 1019, the only question to me is whether or not I need the upconverter in the 1019.

I have an Xbox right now and am buying a PS3 to be used as my BlueRay player and a digital cable box that exports to HDMI.

Also, I read in some other posts the 919 has some handshaking issues ... what does that mean?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
If you are looking at the Pioneer with that price range, why not look at the H/K AVR 254 & 354 "refurbished" receivers on Harmon Kardon's Ebay store? These units are essentially new since the reasons they are refurbished is because H/K released these receivers with numerous problems and took the stock they produced, opened them up, and replace their components / firmware. Some people have mentioned getting the 254 on ebay for $220 and the AVR 354 probably for around $300. They also come with a warranty if you buy it off of H/K's Ebay store.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pio 1014-TX the THX certified precursor to the 1019 that weighs alot more than the new plastic front models. Swapped it out with a AVR 154 last night, the HK absolutely smokes it. Wanted something more substantial than the 154 but got it on closeout for $150, could not have passed it up and it fits my needs as far as power. I'd say go for the HK.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Liked: 12
Im thinking about getting a 919, but i have a couple questions. first can the 919 drive 4 ohm loads? second does it let you bi amp the front speakers using the rear surround channels? and third, does it have preouts to use with a external amp?

Pioneer PDP 5020-Pioneer BDP 51fd-Toshiba XA2-Yamaha DSP A1-Emotiva ERM-1's-Paradigm Monitor 7's-Epik Sentinel
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page