Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2839 Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post

I currently have the HK AVR520 receiver. It is rated at 75W and is plenty loud. Is the 65W 2600 going to be much lower? Note, I will only be running 5 speakers (FL,C,FR,LS,RS) plus subwoofer, which is what i'm running now.

Looking to upgrade for HDMI connections and HD Sound.

Anyone have any insight on this? Would it be worth it for HDMI and HD sound?
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2839 Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldaddy View Post

I have a avr254 and it does not allow passthrough of 1080p without any processing.Do any of these new models allow for passthrough without messing with it?

HDMI Bypass takes care of this in my 3600.
post #453 of 2839 Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffs theater View Post

I am expecting my new 3600 from HK on monday. I will let you know what I think about it on tuesday. I didn't think about the fan noise, I hope it won't be an issue.

Are you also replacing a 354 ? Either way, I will be interested to hear what you think.

I decided to go for the swap. I've read through a good chunk of the posts here and the 3600 definitely seems to be a more reliable machine. The HK's have such a pleasant sound for the money, it is a shame that they had such quality problems for the last couple product lines. Hoping HK is back on track.

Anyway, I will add my own thoughts here once I receive the new 3600.

Sean
post #454 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 AM

Like others here I had a 354, which I generally liked. The main issue was minor - clicks and some pops when turning the system off and on. Everything else was fine, until my last Firmware update, then seemingly out of nowhere, when playing DVD's and hitting stop and/or pause and then resuming play NOTHING - picture, but no sound at all. I had to go back to the main menu or shift sources (to 6/8 analogue) to get the sound back. Well, HK said I could trade for a 3600. Like many of us, I dreaded pulling out all my connections, but it did give me an opportunity to not only dust, but put bannana plugs on my new Aperion speakers (now I don't think I'll dread getting behind my receiver in the future.) I've onlyhad the 3600 for a day, but already some great news:

Absolutely quiet when turning the system off and on and, so far, and when pausing or stopping discs there is a brief one second sound delay, but then it kicks in! Yay! Anyway, I'll be honest if this keeps up I may not do any additional firmware updates. Between constant bluray (I have an Oppo) and receiver updates its probably no wonder that some things get fixed while others, unintentionally get affected.) Anyway, so far I am very pleased with the 3600. Having Dolby Volume for TV is great, fan in the back of the machine, and yes a UBS in the front, not a hard to reach RS port in the back of the machine ~ just in case
post #455 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 AM

P.S. It was also a pleasant surprise to not have to reprogram my universal remote. All my 354 settings carry over on the 3600 remote!
post #456 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Are you also replacing a 354 ? Either way, I will be interested to hear what you think.

I decided to go for the swap. I've read through a good chunk of the posts here and the 3600 definitely seems to be a more reliable machine. The HK's have such a pleasant sound for the money, it is a shame that they had such quality problems for the last couple product lines. Hoping HK is back on track.

Anyway, I will add my own thoughts here once I receive the new 3600.

I am replacing a 347. So it's quite an upgrade for me. My 347 worked perfectly until I attempted the firmware upgrade. Then I, like others got the infamous popping and audio dropouts. I sent my 347 out on 12/29, so I have been without my theater room for a few weeks. It has given me some time to add banana plugs and thuroughly clean the room. (maybe I need to get a life.) I'm curious about the dolby volume. If is on, Will you still be able to hear the louder explosions and higher volume parts of movies? I geuss I will find out soon enough.
post #457 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 AM

I have a question about the ez/eq. If you have 2 rows of seating, and the back row is 14" higher then the front. Where should I place the mic? I've added a picture of my HT for some referance. Thanks! http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/8193826
post #458 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackohammers View Post

Thats a little disheartening. So the iPod classic 160 gb is not compatible?

Not sure about that, only way to know is to try it out I guess. There's an insert for the Classic to dock with the bridge, but there isn't one for the mini. Maybe that's the compatibility list.
post #459 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I am expecting my new 3600 from HK on monday. I will let you know what I think about it on tuesday. I didn't think about the fan noise, I hope it won't be an issue.

I don't have any fan noise with my 3600 but it does run a little on the hotter side due to space issues, so I put another small PC fan there to deal with it.
post #460 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Nice theater set up! I'd suggest putting it where you usually sit,as you probably will notice more than anyone. My experience has been that the EZ set up is pretty mediocre. I'd really encourage you to get a SPL meter and use that for levels. Much more accurate.
post #461 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the compliment Gmat25. I'll give that a shot.
post #462 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 12:33 PM

How do you use the EQ on these receivers?? The EQ is set to "off" and is not greyed out, but I can't turn it on!

I basically have zero sound customization options right now. No EQ tweaking, no EQ presets, nothing. I had my Xbox 360 connected to my AVR 2600 via HDMI, and all I could do is adjust bass and treble. My surround options were 2 channel stereo, virtual surround, or AVR chooses, and it sounded terrible. I have 5.1 speakers and 360 via HDMI. I did the EZ/EQ setup, and after that, I couldn't hear any voices in the games I was attempting to play, so I had to fix those settings.

I am shocked at the inability to customize the sound, and I'm convinced that I must be missing something.
post #463 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmat25 View Post

Like others here I had a 354, which I generally liked. The main issue was minor - clicks and some pops when turning the system off and on. Everything else was fine, until my last Firmware update, then seemingly out of nowhere, when playing DVD's and hitting stop and/or pause and then resuming play NOTHING - picture, but no sound at all. I had to go back to the main menu or shift sources (to 6/8 analogue) to get the sound back. Well, HK said I could trade for a 3600. Like many of us, I dreaded pulling out all my connections, but it did give me an opportunity to not only dust, but put bannana plugs on my new Aperion speakers (now I don't think I'll dread getting behind my receiver in the future.) I've onlyhad the 3600 for a day, but already some great news:

Absolutely quiet when turning the system off and on and, so far, and when pausing or stopping discs there is a brief one second sound delay, but then it kicks in! Yay! Anyway, I'll be honest if this keeps up I may not do any additional firmware updates. Between constant bluray (I have an Oppo) and receiver updates its probably no wonder that some things get fixed while others, unintentionally get affected.) Anyway, so far I am very pleased with the 3600. Having Dolby Volume for TV is great, fan in the back of the machine, and yes a UBS in the front, not a hard to reach RS port in the back of the machine ~ just in case

That is all good news. I definitely will not do any firmware upgrades if everything is working nice. With the 354, it seems you would just trade one problem for one or two different problems.

Also, interesting to see you have Aperions. That is my set-up as well. Up front, I have 6T's and a 6C. In the rear, 5T's. So far the Aperions have been terrific. My only complaint is a little bit too much tweeter hiss, but perhaps this was due in part to my AVR354.

Sean
post #464 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am replacing a 347. So it's quite an upgrade for me. My 347 worked perfectly until I attempted the firmware upgrade. Then I, like others got the infamous popping and audio dropouts. I sent my 347 out on 12/29, so I have been without my theater room for a few weeks. It has given me some time to add banana plugs and thuroughly clean the room. (maybe I need to get a life.) I'm curious about the dolby volume. If is on, Will you still be able to hear the louder explosions and higher volume parts of movies? I geuss I will find out soon enough.

Are you saying that you are still waiting for the 3600 replacement after almost 3 weeks ? Sure hope it won't take that long for me. I just got done packing up the 354 and will get it shipped out tomorrow. I'm planning on sending Harman the tracking number in hopes they might ship out the 3600 asap. My original 354 had fan noise and was also replaced. HK shipped out the replacement before I had even received the return authorization.

Sean
post #465 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Are you saying that you are still waiting for the 3600 replacement after almost 3 weeks ? Sure hope it won't take that long for me. I just got done packing up the 354 and will get it shipped out tomorrow. I'm planning on sending Harman the tracking number in hopes they might ship out the 3600 asap. My original 354 had fan noise and was also replaced. HK shipped out the replacement before I had even received the return authorization.

Ya, 3 weeks. I had to send it to georgia, and I live in Idaho. Thats about 2000 miles. So I can kind of understand. I'm just happy to be getting a new AVR. The shipping was almost 60 dollars. In consideration, thats kind of cheap for a 3600.
post #466 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM

So far I had experience with two receivers AR 247 and AVR 254. with my setup, i never had any issues with AVR 247 but I needed an extra HDMI input so I upgraded to AVR 254. That one gave me so much problems to the point that I decided to give up on HK and go for another brand. However, I like the sound of HK so much that I'm now considering going back to AVR 1600 (no need for receiver video processing, so I don't really see a need for a higher-end model). Three main issues that made me give up on AVR 254 were:

- clicks and pops when switching sources
- audio cut-offs at the beginning of every song when listening to CD
- Logic 7 Music mode would not process stereo signal correctly, cutting the sound from surround speakers in and out

All of my A/V components were connected via HDMI to the receiver.

Have these been resolved with the new line. I'd love to get back to HK receivers and get AVR 1600, but without having to worry about these annoyances.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #467 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagortenej View Post

So far I had experience with two receivers AR 247 and AVR 254. with my setup, i never had any issues with AVR 247 but I needed an extra HDMI input so I upgraded to AVR 254. That one gave me so much problems to the point that I decided to give up on HK and go for another brand. However, I like the sound of HK so much that I'm now considering going back to AVR 1600 (no need for receiver video processing, so I don't really see a need for a higher-end model). Three main issues that made me give up on AVR 254 were:

- clicks and pops when switching sources
- audio cut-offs at the beginning of every song when listening to CD
- Logic 7 Music mode would not process stereo signal correctly, cutting the sound from surround speakers in and out

All of my A/V components were connected via HDMI to the receiver.

Have these been resolved with the new line. I'd love to get back to HK receivers and get AVR 1600, but without having to worry about these annoyances.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have any of these issues with my receiver, but it is a 3600, so don't have any direct experience with the 1600. A couple of friends have the 2600 and don't have these issues.

What I do have, as others have noticed, but seems to be somewhat "normal" is that when the source changes output type, you will get a second or so delay as the receiver figures out what type of signal it is getting. For instance, when switching between an analog cable channel to a digital one, there will be a slight delay as the processor figures out what is going on.

I have had a problem with audio and video cut-outs once or twice an hour on HDMI sources, but I did a processor reset on the advice of HK, and so far so good on this one.

I think your specific issues have been resolved.
post #468 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM

So apparently there is no user adjustments regarding the sound... This receiver sets it and you can basically just adjust bass/treble. Yay.
post #469 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Hi Saen:

Yes, I used to have Klipsch Quintets (the originals) which were good, but a little harsh. I moved them to the basement for a second surround system. Just got the 4T's and 4BP's for surrounds and love them. The have more mids and are warmer. I love the combination with HK's sound. I didn't want to give up on HK and am happy that the 3600's are working out!
post #470 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 05:27 PM

Hey guys well I've had my AVR-354 since July08. New Years Eve I lost all Video outputs on the Avr. So now called HK and they will be sending out a Replacement. My question is, will HK be sending out another 354 or the new 3600? I've seen in other threads that people with the needed a replacement for their 254 they received a 2600 in return. If anyone knows please let me know. I love 354 but I've been looking at the 3600 it has an extra HDMI which would help
post #471 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM

You'll most likely be receiving the 3600. HK will send you an email with the specifics. I had the same thing happen and think the 3600 is, overall, a better machine.

~ Greg
post #472 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Good to know, now hoping it gets here by 1/26 gotta watch Michael Jackson This Is It blu-ray need that HK sound
post #473 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM

I am a happy user of 2600 but have a minor issue that has puzzled me for a while. I am connecting my DVD & blu ray players through the receiver to my Kuro display but at the same time linking my HD PC directly to the display via HDMI for video and coaxial to the receiver for audio. I do that to get a different picture settings for the PC input.

I have no issue watching material from the PC but when I turn off the display and play music from the PC, the receiver keeps giving me an intermittent alert sound (ding, ding...). The only way to get rid of the sound is to keep the display turned on OR turn on the display and switch to the HDMI input coming from the receiver (i.e. select DVD or blu ray player) and then turn off the display.

I am not sure if the alert stands for missing of a valid video input. Does anyone has similar experience and know how to change the setting to fix this issue? Apparently I can not turn off the video source of an input for player solely music in the receiver?

post #474 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post

Good to know, now hoping it gets here by 1/26 gotta watch Michael Jackson This Is It blu-ray need that HK sound

I think that your hopes may be a little high in regards to getting your new AVR by the 26th. Once HK recieves your old reciever, it takes them up to four days to ship out a replacement. I shipped out my old reciever on 12/29 and should be recieving my 3600 tomorrow. So it has been about 3 weeks. Where you live in reference to Atlanta, Ga will effect shipping time. Once you fax HK a copy of your reciept they will send you a e-mail letting you know what AVR they are planning on sending you. Hope I didn't kill your hopes. Good luck.
post #475 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:

I think that your hopes may be a little high in regards to getting your new AVR by the 26th. Once HK recieves your old reciever, it takes them up to four days to ship out a replacement. I shipped out my old reciever on 12/29 and should be recieving my 3600 tomorrow. So it has been about 3 weeks. Where you live in reference to Atlanta, Ga will effect shipping time. Once you fax HK a copy of your reciept they will send you a e-mail letting you know what AVR they are planning on sending you. Hope I didn't kill your hopes. Good luck.

Well I live in DE about 800 miles, It should get there tomorrow. I kinda figured not to get my hopes up but thanks for the heads up. Hope all goes well with your AVR
post #476 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM

I live in Wisconsin and mailed my 354 on a Monday and received my 3600 in 12 days. Hope this is helpful
post #477 of 2839 Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmurphy View Post

I don't have any of these issues with my receiver, but it is a 3600, so don't have any direct experience with the 1600. A couple of friends have the 2600 and don't have these issues.

What I do have, as others have noticed, but seems to be somewhat "normal" is that when the source changes output type, you will get a second or so delay as the receiver figures out what type of signal it is getting. For instance, when switching between an analog cable channel to a digital one, there will be a slight delay as the processor figures out what is going on.

I have had a problem with audio and video cut-outs once or twice an hour on HDMI sources, but I did a processor reset on the advice of HK, and so far so good on this one.

I think your specific issues have been resolved.

Thanks for the reply. This is encouraging. I am using my gear mostly for listening music so it was quite irritating that after each song on CD the sound would cut off for a second or two (source-change audio delay is to be expected. I think this is a common thing for more or less all receivers). It was always checking and verifying audio stream, which caused the delay. I never had this problem with any receiver, before or since.

I will follow this thread to learn more about other users' experiences with the new line of HK receivers. In the end, I may decide to give HK another try.
post #478 of 2839 Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM

I find that there is a second or two delay when shifting sources or just beginning a disc through HDMI. When I use analogue (through Oppo bluray) I don't have this. I generally like the sound of music more through the analogue jacks anyway.
post #479 of 2839 Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpermike View Post

You are 100% correct. My bad. I did some playing around with it last night. I didn't realize, that even though it was working set on bitstream, is was only Dolby Digital, and not TrueHD. Once set to linear PCM, a tap of the PS3 select button showed the TrueHD.

So if I simply switch to my slim, the receiver will show TrueHD, or DTSHD instead of just "multichannel PCM" ?

MCode
I was watching "Public Enemies" which is (DTS-HD MA 5.1) yesterday using a ps3 Slim and the avr3600 showed me "DTS-HD". Its that the same as DTS-HD MA?
My question is .... will the Avr 3600 actually display "DTS-HD MA"
My setup is 5.1
post #480 of 2839 Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM

So.... Anybody? Am I nuts, or are there no EQ tweaking options? Maybe a preset or two?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page