Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2843 Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Important question:
1- Is it true that if you have a high-end computer soundcard, the sound will be better through (Multi-Channel Analog) rather than in DTS by optical?

I replaced my (Onkyo TX-SR607) by the AVR-2600 for only 2 reasons. Sound quality that is suppose to be better on HK and because that model have these famous analog outputs which none of the Onkyo have. However I tryed yesterday to compare DTS/Analog and honnestly I'm not sure if it's really better since the bass seems to be so much lacking in analog like I must use a EQ and boost it otherwise there's way too few of it. So what you guys think? Speakers I use is the (KEF KHT-3005 5.1)

I'm gonna try tonight to replace all the bare wire with 20 banana plugs for the hell of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2843 Old 06-20-2010, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadkid View Post

The problem comes in when i try to connect my Western Digital HD Live media player via HDMI. I can get audio output, but no video. The screen goes black (not even a "no signal" message on screen). I've played around with the HDMI output settings on the media player, but with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

You might want to make sure you you have the latest firmware updates on your WDTV Live as well as your AVR 1600. Also, you need to have your WDTV Live set to output 1080 60p and not 1080 24p. I have a WDTV Live and it worked fine with my Denon 2310 CI, I put it back in the box when I got my Popcorn Hour A200 and I just need to sell it.

Don't forget that you have a component video output on the WDTV Live as well as an Optical Out. Most people don't know this, but the WDTV Live WILL bitstream Dolby TrueHD from an M2TS container, but that's it for HD audio as it will just pick the cores off DTS Master (all containers), and Dolby TrueHD (containers besides M2TS). Unless you have a whole pile of Dolby TrueHD videos in M2TS containers, you have nothing to lose by using the optical output.
post #1083 of 2843 Old 06-20-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanks View Post

I then traded in to a Denon AVR890. Where I ran in to an issue was playing games. There was an obvious lag between the controller and what happened on the screen. I toned down the lag by turning off some of the HDMI up-conversion and video processing features on the Denon. I even put a component out of the receiver to the TV so there'd be little to no conversion or processing needed for the Wii but it was still there and I didn't like it. Mario was unplayable in my mind. So was Need For Speed on XBOX. Deal-breakers for me so I took this one back too.

Then I bought this Harman Kardon AVR3600. I've plugged in everything and it works great! No lag in audio anywhere. No lag in video anywhere. The GUI is also pretty cool. Setup in the GUI was pretty easy. Games are great. Music is great. I can turn on all the fancy features on this receiver and still not experience any game lag. It's awesome.

I was trying to choose between an HK 2600 and a denon 2310, and being able to hook up multiple source connection types and have them all convert to a single hdmi out with a minimal amount of lag is very important to me. Do you guys concur with lhank's review in that there is no noticeable lag when converting from any signal to hdmi?
post #1084 of 2843 Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Newbie View Post

I was trying to choose between an HK 2600 and a denon 2310

Join the club. I actually own both, just recently I was in your position and decided to get the 2600 instead of another 2310 CI (though I've had it less than a week). See my review a few posts above for my experiences with Xbox 360 and SAT receiver both hooked up via component to the AVR 2600.

I have gamed on the 2310 CI with both original Xbox and Xbox 360 hooked up via component and optical audio and I don't remember any problems (includes plenty of Halo 3...though I'm not as competitive I used to be). I have yet to play Halo 3 through the 2600. Right now I'm playing UFC Undisputed 2010 on the Xbox 360 on the 2600 hooked up via component video and optical audio and I'm not having problems with the gameplay....playing from a wireless controller. I would recommend outputing 1080p component from the Xbox 360 and setting the "resolution to display" on the 2600 to 1080 60p.

I don't own a Wii, and I imagine some lag could be introduced if scaling were involved with the conversion...but the wii looks horrible to me scaled up (played at friends house)...maybe the Wii owners can comment on this as well as I have always gamed from the Xbox 360 @ 1080p component.
post #1085 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerIV View Post

Important question:
1- Is it true that if you have a high-end computer soundcard, the sound will be better through (Multi-Channel Analog) rather than in DTS by optical?

I replaced my (Onkyo TX-SR607) by the AVR-2600 for only 2 reasons. Sound quality that is suppose to be better on HK and because that model have these famous analog outputs which none of the Onkyo have. However I tryed yesterday to compare DTS/Analog and honnestly I'm not sure if it's really better since the bass seems to be so much lacking in analog like I must use a EQ and boost it otherwise there's way too few of it. So what you guys think? Speakers I use is the (KEF KHT-3005 5.1)

I'm gonna try tonight to replace all the bare wire with 20 banana plugs for the hell of it.

Before I had this new set-up I used M-Audio Sonica USB "sound-card" which wasn't cheap. I'm assuming you meant analog inputs on the AVR. Using Mac Quicksilver Dual 1ghz > AVR-235, and got better results digitally, but the software for it didn't have an elaborate EQ control. (No HD audio files at the time) You might check your software settings, and it sounds like you might be losing your LFE. All those cables seem to be a way to introduce more noise into the system, rather than get better quality. The DAC in the Harman is pretty first rate, although I prefer to have my ps-3 decode the Dolby or DTS HD files, then send them PCM to the receiver. Something gets lost when the Harman does the decoding. (that's about the only negative I have to say about my 3600).

Now I use a mac mini 2.26 ghz Intel, running both OSX and Windows 7 64bit, and stream my files to the ps3, which streams (wired giga-bit) blu ray m2ts files just fine via OSX and Null river Media Server.. The downside is drive space, lol. My entire DVD collection (530 movies, uncompressed has all my HD space pretty much filled up, and ripping BDs is time consuming.
Eventually I'll by more drives and get my BDs on HD also.

Ideas so wrong can only be believed by really intelligent people... George Orwell, 1984
post #1086 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

OK, I weighed my 3600.
It weighed 26 lbs.
This was using the weigh yourself then weigh yourself holding the receiver method.
post #1087 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateguy1 View Post

You might check your software settings, and it sounds like you might be losing your LFE. All those cables seem to be a way to introduce more noise into the system, rather than get better quality. The DAC in the Harman is pretty first rate, although I prefer to have my ps-3 decode the Dolby or DTS HD files, then send them PCM to the receiver.

How come would I be losing my LFE channel? Everything is plug perfectly and I have the 250w 10" amplified sub right into the (Sub Pre-Out) input on the AVR-2600. I've tryed today to calibrate my system with the Ezset/EQ microphone and I couldn't believe it how it did a completely HORRIBLE job.

1- All speakers are at 3ft of me but the microphone said they were at 4ft and the rear to 5ft... wtf?

2- The front is already too loud compare to the rear so usualy I set the front L/R to be about -3dB so when I'm in the center I hear the rear almost as loud as the front but the microphone made the front even louder and the rear even quieter!

3- The center is different but the front and rear speakers are exactly the same, yet the microphone choose to set the crossover at 150Hz for the front and 200Hz for the rear. What the hell was it thinking again?! My speakers have a frequency response of (Satellite: 70Hz - 55kHz, Centre: 65Hz - 55kHz) so why it didn't pick 80Hz for all of them? Sucks that there's also no 65 or 70Hz choice on the receiver so I must choose 80Hz and loose some frequencies.

4- Oh it has also set the subwoofer's dB to +10 even thought I already have the sub at +12dB through a button underneath of it. It also chose the size of the sub to be at (Present) while in fact it's a 10" driver.

So seriously what's wrong with this piece of sh*t calibrating microphone that sets everything wrong?! I remember the Audissey microphone on my Onkyo TX-SR607 did a much better job. Yes again it wasn't perfect for the distance but at least it wouldn't mess my subwoofer and the (Dynamic EQ) that I would get by the microphone, was miiiiiiles away.. in other words 1000x better than the one from Harman which just ruins everything. That thing alone makes me feel like getting a refund since I just can't get a good sound quality with all this mess! Edit: When I'm using analog, the sound is better cause there's no way I could get sound as bad as what I'm having on optical/dts with this receiver, however I must go in my soundcard's setting and set the subwoofer +15dB or else I almost don't hear it at all. Seriously what's wrong with this receiver, seems like it hates my subwoofer and won't use it lol -_-
post #1088 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM
vr4

after doing FW ugrade Version: AFW v1.4.20.1 Release Date: 6/7/2010 my system started to thump every time turn on the unit. I hear this on the sub and not sure if it is doing it on the other speakers though.
AVR3600
Boston mcs-130 5.1
post #1089 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM

I have been working to get my 3600 remote to learn the commands from my Dish remote.
Every button works correctly except the up/down and sideways arrows.
This is particularly annoying when trying to scroll thought the Guide.
Does anyone have a suggestion to get the arrows to work?

tia,
Bob
post #1090 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM

My experience was quite different. When I ran the EZ set up (both times, when new and after the update it came pretty close to crossover specs for my speakers and in distance. Not perfect though, so I used the SPL meters built into the side of my head tune it further, and to my liking.

That said, on I think it's Pioneers web site, which uses the Audessy, they list a bunch of stuff that can affect the automatic setup. Windows, Mirrors and reflective surfaces, combined with other areas like drapes and carpets that deaden sound can affect what the mic is "hearing". There is no substitute for your own ears. Mine are set at a x over of 80, though the manufacture lists the x over at 100. I had to back down the LFE and the bass a bit too but it sounds nearly perfect to me.

Just for fun, plug the sub woofer directly into the sub out of your computer audio card. Does the sound completely change when using the digital input, and if so does that sound horrible too? there is nothing wrong with letting the receiver do the work. I really like the sound of mine, but if you can't get it tuned the way you like, I definitely would try another brand.

How you like the way something sounds is really personal, Just listen to the sound peoples car audio with so much bass that the car itself sounds like its going to vibrate apart. They think it sounds great. I think it's silly.

Ideas so wrong can only be believed by really intelligent people... George Orwell, 1984
post #1091 of 2843 Old 06-21-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4 View Post

after doing FW ugrade Version: AFW v1.4.20.1 Release Date: 6/7/2010 my system started to thump every time turn on the unit. I hear this on the sub and not sure if it is doing it on the other speakers though.
AVR3600
Boston mcs-130 5.1

Exact same experience here. It did not do this before the update. I'm not terribly concerned, but it seems a little odd they changed something that would make it do that.
post #1092 of 2843 Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 AM

I've updated my review of the HK 2600 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post18800908
post #1093 of 2843 Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmotoy View Post

Exact same experience here. It did not do this before the update. I'm not terribly concerned, but it seems a little odd they changed something that would make it do that.

I'm getting a slight "click" when I turn my avr off after the update. I didn't have that before. It's not like a loud pop, but it is noticeable. It sounds like it's coming from my front speakers.
post #1094 of 2843 Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Hi,

Can someone send me a link to "FW upgrade Version: AFW v1.4.20.1 Release Date: 6/7/2010"?

Never mind. I finally found it.
post #1095 of 2843 Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Regarding the 1080 24p conversion to 1080 60p:
Quote:

Im just guessing but the AVR probably has to interlace the pic to do the pulldown with the popcorn set to 24. What was the quality like in the conversion? Is it much better with the popcorn set to 1080p 60?

I've updated my review about this under the popcorn hour section. But here's the deal. HK 2600 only allows me to go to 1080i when 1080 24p is the source from HDMI when hooked up to my 1080 60p only TV. I brought my Samsung into the living room just to put some closure on this issue for me, and with BY-PASS off, HK 2600 DID NOT allow framerate conversion to 1080 60p when the source was 1080 24p as it only allowed 1080 24p out...though I don't know why anyone would want to do that with a TV that can accept 1080 24p, but you couldn't if you wanted to.

Also, the HK 2600 allows me to go to 1080 60p when 1080 24p is the source from Component (yep...the A200 Popcorn Hour can output 1080 24p through Component)...but the only drawback is that I loose HD Audio and would have to use the Optical or Coaxial SPDIF output on the A200...having said that...I think its really cool that the A200 automatically bitstreams the core DTS of DTS-MA as well as the AC3 core of Dolby TrueHD when the spdif outputs are used...and before you say anything I DID try to select Component as the video source and HDMI as the Audio Souce, but the HK is so kind as to set the Video source to HDMI for me...oh well...I'm not sure my Denon can let me choose component video and HDMI audio...but I'll verify this soon....only so many times I can interrupt my wife's viewing experience in a day.

Bottom Line: My Denon 2310 CI destroys the HK 2600 in video conversion with regards to scaling, deinterlacing, and framerate conversion. Having said that, I'm happy with the component to HDMI conversion of the HK 2600 as long as I don't change the resolution/framerate/or interlace mode. Is it me or do those video modes really mess up the video? I just leave as much video processing off as possible, but I'm going for Audio this time around. I'm still waiting on some steel speaker stands to come in for my front L and R bookshelfs for my living room, and I'm waiting on some banana plugs to come in for my weight room zone 2 hookups (12 gauge wire already pulled and stubbed out. So the jury's still out on sound as I refuse to comment on it until I get my speakers in place and monkeyed with the auto config + my adjustments, and get a few workouts in listening to HK's zone 2.
post #1096 of 2843 Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 PM

Nor is it just the HK. For a customer I hooked up 2 AVR 354's last november, no bypass mode on those, one to a Sony 55" 120hz bravia (last years model) that came bundled with a PS3. 1080p both 60 and 24 play through perfectly. BUT when sending an up-converted file or DVD that the ps3 already took from 480 to 1080, the HK seems like it would try to re-up the signal again, resulting in a grainy, overly contrasted image.

My projector a infocus 7205 720p also has built in Fj up conversion. I experienced the same issue using component straight from the ps3 to the PJ,
when both the ps3 and pj's up converting were turned on. It seems (I've no confirmation) that although the signal is 1080p the second video processor still sees the video file as 480 (perhaps a flag in the file that didn't get changed-removed) and tries to up convert it again. (Bypass mode is why i have the 3600, and with HDMI, up-conversion is not available on my PJ. for me it's more about the sound than the video; the picture on my 86" diagonal screen at 720p from 12-14' away looks as good as any movie I've seen in a theater, and has a more natural quality (to me) than the 1080p tvs.
(works well even with my lights on too)

The afore mentioned customer with no bypass, and this may help others out there, with his dvr (Sure west fiber optic ip) I set it to output 720p (The networks are all 720p native, and other channels are 1080i), and let the harman do the rest. The result was a perfect picture. Otherwise the twice converted image, with the DVR set to 1080p again looked like doo doo.

Both 354's are still working perfectly btw, the downstairs one with 55" Bravia
is going over a 50' G.E. HDMI cable from the home depot with no issues at all. (The customer was behind the curve and provided them at the last minute before sheet rocking). I also wired the electrical for the entire house, a ground up remodel, and had dedicated circuits for all Home entertainment and network power locations. It has been my experience that poor power quality can really cause issues.

post #1097 of 2843 Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Caruthers View Post

OK, I weighed my 3600.
It weighed 26 lbs.
This was using the weigh yourself then weigh yourself holding the receiver method.

Wow. So at most a pound difference 2600 and the 3600, maybe even the same weight depending on accuracy of our scales. Now I don't feel so bad buying the 2600 instead of the 3600. In either case, I think we all can agree the instruction manuals are way off. The Website listed weights (showing both the 2600 and the 3600 weighing the same at 31.5 lbs) may be closer to the shipping weight, as my shipping box weighed in around 30 lbs.
post #1098 of 2843 Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdogyyz View Post

I'm getting a slight "click" when I turn my avr off after the update. I didn't have that before. It's not like a loud pop, but it is noticeable. It sounds like it's coming from my front speakers.

Same here! I just updated mine the other day and I have been getting quite a loud tick as soon as I turn it on. BTW, mine is a 3600.
post #1099 of 2843 Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Hi Guys, Those who updated latest firmware on 3600 do you see any other issue apart from popping noise during on/off? Do you recommend me applying this update or wait? Thanks.
post #1100 of 2843 Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM

I have the 3600 and did the update and I have no popping when turning it on or off.

Bob
post #1101 of 2843 Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM

I don't hear anything, but also keep my default volume set really low.. -35db post update.
Even if I did, a soft thump or click on power up is not what I personally consider an issue.

If you haven't done the update, I would do it. You may have to to do it anyway for the 1.4 upgrade, additionally they may forget to tell you you need to do it before the 1.4 upgrade, which could be real bummer, and what I personally would call an "issue".

I doubt I will do the 1.4 upgrade... Not interested in 3D and afraid it will break the limited compatibility I have with my projector.

post #1102 of 2843 Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:

My experience was quite different. When I ran the EZ set up (both times, when new and after the update it came pretty close to crossover specs for my speakers and in distance. Not perfect though, so I used the SPL meters built into the side of my head tune it further, and to my liking.

That said, on I think it's Pioneers web site, which uses the Audessy, they list a bunch of stuff that can affect the automatic setup. Windows, Mirrors and reflective surfaces, combined with other areas like drapes and carpets that deaden sound can affect what the mic is "hearing". There is no substitute for your own ears. Mine are set at a x over of 80, though the manufacture lists the x over at 100. I had to back down the LFE and the bass a bit too but it sounds nearly perfect to me.

Just for fun, plug the sub woofer directly into the sub out of your computer audio card. Does the sound completely change when using the digital input, and if so does that sound horrible too? there is nothing wrong with letting the receiver do the work. I really like the sound of mine, but if you can't get it tuned the way you like, I definitely would try another brand.

How you like the way something sounds is really personal, Just listen to the sound peoples car audio with so much bass that the car itself sounds like its going to vibrate apart. They think it sounds great. I think it's silly.

Haha at the car audio systems. So many people feel proud to use huge subwoofers or to have 2-3 at the rear but it sounds so horrible. I had a friend with the same car as mine and I told him the sound was best when he turned off completely his huge sub. In my opinion it's not meant to have a high quality sound but only to get attention and make a show-off. Yes you hear them from the inside of ur house when they're on the street but the sound they get inside is just so aweful lol. The worst of this is that it cost them a lot of money to make it even more bad than before.

It's prolly not a good idea to have a wall almost full of mirror next to me and the speakers but still... even though there's that many mirror the Audissey microphone from the Onkyo did a perfect job so why the one from HK would ruin it all (-_-). No suprise you also had to lower the bass "LFE" on the receiver as there's way too much by default in digital with that receiver.

Question: Just wondering about the "EzsetEQ", is it a FIXED equalizer set by the microphone or it's a DYNAMIC EQ like the one from Audissey/Onkyo? If it's just fix then it's good as useless and I rather customize my own eq through my Auzentech soundcard. Seriously the dynamic eq was by far the best feature of the Onkyo as otherwise the sound quality would had been average or just like any other common receiver.

How could I plug the subwoofer just for fun in my soundcard's output since it's a big "rca pin" connector, not a small 1/8. Also since every soundcard have 1 output for Front L/R, 1 output for Rear L/R and 1 for Center/Sub, I'd loose my center if I'd try to connect it directly. After all it seems to sound better in analog though with such a bad EzsetEQ there's just no competition there. I've set in my soundcard the crossover at 80Hz, enabled the +15dB checkbox then lowered the subwoofer % from 100 to 60%, did my own custom EQ, lowered the bass tone to 40% "kept treble at 50%" and it sounds pretty good now. I just hope that my custom EQ will sound good on any type of music as it would be a pain in the *** having to change it everytime I'd listen to something different.

So now the question would be... stay with Harman in analog or go back to Onkyo in DTS only to have that awesome dynamic eq feature.
post #1103 of 2843 Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 PM

You already went from 1/8 mini to rca to get your sound card plugged into the harman, an RCA coupler would do the trick, or if you're like me and have a box full of cables, and such bnc-rca adapters and a coaxial adapter, or cut n splice some old cables. heck I might even just hold two male rca connectors together, just to see what the harman was doing to the sound vs straight out of the card.

By fixed or dynamic, do you mean like multi band graphic? Doing an analog hook up for music I would rather leave the harman in default and use the sound cards equalizer in any case. If your system revolves around the PC, and if your PC can decode send HI-def codecs out through analog, like DTS-MA, and Dolbytrue HD, that makes any receivers built in EQ less functional than your sound-cards. That said Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" sent PCM Digital two channel to the harman, with the harman set to PLIIx over 7.1 channels, well, lets just say it makes me want to start smoking pot again. If I didn't know better I would swear it was re-recorded for that format.

How does the harman sound to you inputted digitally after your personal adjustment with Uncompressed 5.1 (24bit 48/96khz) PCM, DTS-MA, or Dolby True HD, vs the Onkyo with the same inputs?

post #1104 of 2843 Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM

From my manual page 30,
NOTE: The 6/8 channel audiopass the incoming signals to the volume control, without digitizing, or processing them.It is not possible to change the Surround mode or adjust any of the audio effects controls using 6/8 channel inputs. Configure your sources bass management settings (i.e. speaker size, delay and output level) on your source device.....

post #1105 of 2843 Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 AM

slight correction
NOTE: The 6/8 channel AUDIO INPUTS pass the incoming.....
I'm a bad typer

post #1106 of 2843 Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:

You already went from 1/8 mini to rca to get your sound card plugged into the harman, an RCA coupler would do the trick, or if you're like me and have a box full of cables, and such bnc-rca adapters and a coaxial adapter, or cut n splice some old cables. heck I might even just hold two male rca connectors together, just to see what the harman was doing to the sound vs straight out of the card.

By fixed or dynamic, do you mean like multi band graphic? Doing an analog hook up for music I would rather leave the harman in default and use the sound cards equalizer in any case. If your system revolves around the PC, and if your PC can decode send HI-def codecs out through analog, like DTS-MA, and Dolbytrue HD, that makes any receivers built in EQ less functional than your sound-cards. That said Pink Floyds "Dark Side of the Moon" sent PCM Digital two channel to the harman, with the harman set to PLIIx over 7.1 channels, well, lets just say it makes me want to start smoking pot again. If I didn't know better I would swear it was re-recorded for that format.

How does the harman sound to you inputted digitally after your personal adjustment with Uncompressed 5.1 (24bit 48/96khz) PCM, DTS-MA, or Dolby True HD, vs the Onkyo with the same inputs?

I never thought about trying PCM and prolly won't as that wouldn't allow me 5.1 for games and I never watch any movies on my computer. As for music I guess I could compensate by setting a surround-stereo with CMSS-3D at 50% like I always did no matter the inputs "Analog/Optical" I was using. I don't have a bluray hooked on it since I don't watch movies and I don't have the Auzentech card with HDMI i/o so I won't be able to try DTS-MA or Dolby-TrueHD. I'm not sure if I remember well but I think on the Onkyo if I wouldn't choose the (DTS Encoder) with the optical cable, I wouldn't get any sound. Anyway isn't DTS-Interactive already in (24bit/48Khz)? Not sure if now it supports 96Khz or if it's maximum 48 in 5.1 at 24bit.
http://uppix.net/1/9/5/5834b57d0093d...436a12720.html

By (Dynamic EQ) I meant that from what I understand the Onkyo was changing its "internal multi-band equalizer" on-the-fly no matter what I'd be listening at. That was its best feature by far.

Quote:

From my manual page 30,
NOTE: The 6/8 channel audiopass the incoming signals to the volume control, without digitizing, or processing them.It is not possible to change the Surround mode or adjust any of the audio effects controls using 6/8 channel inputs. Configure your sources bass management settings (i.e. speaker size, delay and output level) on your source device.....

Yea I read the whole manual yesterday night and saw this too thought I noticed it on my own before reading that if I'd go analog I wouldn't be able anymore to set the subwoofer's size or individual speaker's crossover.. hence the the need to do what I've done on the picture below.

http://uppix.net/2/0/c/968022eb11a0d...f973c19e3.html
post #1107 of 2843 Old 06-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked Audessy's website, and it seems to me the "dynamic EQ" you are referring to is the equivalent of HK's Dolby Volume. Used to "model" the audio at low listening volumes, and "level" the audio loudness.

I set my Dolby volume (won't work with 6/8 channel analog in any case) on low, which is supposed to enhance detail, and it makes a difference to me.

As I mostly watch movies, and little broadcast TV, turning on the "leveler" portion of the dolby i.e. setting it to medium or max, can cause the sound track to do strange things. Watching the new "Star Trek" that way, at times the quiet scenes got loud, then during a loud scene, the volume would back way off and be lower than in the quiet scenes. Definitely overcompensates, but from other users on this site it works great for commercials and such.

post #1108 of 2843 Old 06-25-2010, 11:01 AM

I set my Dolby Volume to Max on my DVR/Satellite Tuner input, and have it off on the rest of the sources. It can do some strange things at times, and with Blu Rays and stuff especially I've found the original mix is better than the what the receiver wants to change it to.

I did have an instance of the volume cutting out repeatedly on a TV show the other day, which is the first time it's happened since I got my new hardware/updated to 1.1. It seems like there still may be some issue there, but it's certainly 97% improved over what I was seeing on my old hardware and 1.0.
post #1109 of 2843 Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Firmware Update:

Now that I have had more time to watch TV, I am still having tons of audio dropouts. Not happy.
post #1110 of 2843 Old 06-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post

Firmware Update:

Now that I have had more time to watch TV, I am still having tons of audio dropouts. Not happy.

Reading this entire thread it seems to me that the issues of audio dropout are almost exclusively DVR related. I watch OTA broadcasting (as long as the "puppet masters" will allow that to continue) through a Sony DVD recorder with a HD tuner. I also use a PS3, and stream to it from two separate computers. I have my AVR set to DPLIIx, and have never had an audio dropout. Only twice since I have owned the unit, after hundreds of hours use, has both video and audio dropped out. One I believe was finger print on a blu ray disk.

That said here is what I would try if I had a DVR;
1. Set the unit to logic 7 or one of the Dolby settings, instead of letting the receiver select it.
2. As there are no HD audio formats to consider, add an optical connection for audio, and change to it in the set up source menu, (you won't lose any quality) , and see if dropouts continue.
3. Finally add an analog connection. The dolby coding is embedded in the analog and your receiver can still separate the back channels, although it does lose some separation.
Then if you still have dropouts, it's NOT the receiver.
4. Call my cable/dish provider and see if they have a different, more modern DVR available, or seriously consider purchasing and trying a Tivo, or other third party DVR.

I do know the DVRs provided by comcast are junky, and know of a couple people who could never get their DVR or Voip Phone to work with comcast and after weeks of go arounds with those people went with other service providers.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page