post #91 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

How was the microphone oriented & positioned
If not positioned properly one can get strange front channel SPL settings..

The latest HK AVR series 1600/2600/3600/7550HD are in my opinion the best they have done..
Great features and excellant sonic quality, plus the Dolby Volume feature in the 2600/3600/7550HD is incredible..

Just my $0.015...

M Code -- I do not have a tri-pod, so the best I can do is move my couch out (too low) and put a bar stool with a couple of stacked books or pillows, and then the mic on top of that -- to position it at ear height. While I can certainly imagine that this is not the ideal position for the mic, I see no reason why the left front would be effected any differently from the right front en route to the mic. Anyway, who knows! I equalized them myself and I am very happy.

Do you, or does anyone reading this, have advice on crossovers? I have read some of the posts on AVS regarding crossover settings and I still struggle. I am running a set of Infinity Beta 50's, with the C360 center and the Bookshelf 20's on the side -- then a couple of ceiling speakers to finish my 7 channels (and a woofer too). Anyway...I could really use help on crossover settings. Right now I have just left it at what the HK decided on...but I am not confident with that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disraeli View Post

Hi all, given the price disparity on amazon between the 2600 & 3600, seems odd to even consider the 2600 over the 3600 with the Bridge III included. Independent of the Bridge, we're talking about less than a $100 variance. Am I missing something? Seems like a no brainer. Thanks!

I sort of took an opposite stance on the issue of 2600 v 3600. I didn't mind the price of the 3600...however, I didn't really have use for the Bridge (as great as it is, I connect my ipod rarely, and when I do, I connect to my xbox). Additionally, I knew that the 65watts of the 2600 was more than enough to run my Infinity Beta's (since that is the same power as my old AVR-435), and I didn't need the A-Bus support (my 435 had this, and I never even considered using it).

So for me...there was no way in the world to justify the added cost! Also, remember that you can buy the Bridge separately for 100.

The nice thing about the 2600 & 3600 is that they have all of the same abilities in regard to audio/video decoding/management, so I was able to buy the lesser model and be VERY happy with all the many features and benefits!
post #93 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm planning to buy the 3600. I have a 12 year old AVR 55 which still works great. No HDMI inputs, because of course they didn't exist, but the PS3 and TIVO HDMIs run through my TV which sends the signal through fiber optic cable back to the amp. There are certainly some other deficiencies because of its age, but basically just new features that would be nice. I don't think I would ever consider another manufacturer because of how happy I've been over the (long, abuse-filled) lifetime of the AVR 55.

There's only one real problem with it that has caused me to finally look for an amp from this century, the sound is starting to cut off intermittently while watching movies on the PS3 or when watching the TIVO...in the exact same way as some people have described with the new amps.

Am I going to end up buying a new 3600 that will have the same problems with the sound cutting out? I think my mind is made up to buy it, especially with a firmware update on the way, but is there any reason I should wait to buy?
post #94 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

I am one of those that is having problems with the 1600. In my case I get no video or sound if I go HDMI input only. As far as video goes, I can do component in/ HDMI out or component in/ component out. But if I just plug in HDMI in with HDMI out for audio and video, I get nothing.

The receiver shows a 1080i reception from my Directv and if I plug this into my Pnasonic TH-58PZ800U I get nothing. If I switch to the On Screen Display, it works over HDMI, but I get nothing from my DirecTV or my XBOX 360.

I read Mufatu's description of how his 2600 is setup and he mentions "pass-through" needing to be set up. If I go to the HDMI 1 configuration, I don't see that as an option. At least nothing called "pass-through". I am doing the equivalent of passthrough for audio since I am choosing HDMI for the audio and well HDMI video is just that. Maybe the software is different, but on the 1600 I see no option for pass-though.

I called HK and when I spoke to them they said that the default settings should work as far as just getting HDMI to work. So they sent me another one. No luck with this second one either.

The HDMI switching was the main reason I went with this over keeping the setup I had. This is frustrating. I didn't go with the 2600 because I only needed 3 HDMI ports not 4. Also , I am happy with 1080p and 1080i out of my devices so I didn't see any real reason to spend more for it to go through another chip.

I'll call HK tomorrow and see if they can tell me what is going on...
post #95 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerodude View Post

I am one of those that is having problems with the 1600. In my case I get no video or sound if I go HDMI input only. As far as video goes, I can do component in/ HDMI out or component in/ component out. But if I just plug in HDMI in with HDMI out for audio and video, I get nothing.

The receiver shows a 1080i reception from my Directv and if I plug this into my Pnasonic TH-58PZ800U I get nothing. If I switch to the On Screen Display, it works over HDMI, but I get nothing from my DirecTV or my XBOX 360.

I read Mufatu's description of how his 2600 is setup and he mentions "pass-through" needing to be set up. If I go to the HDMI 1 configuration, I don't see that as an option. At least nothing called "pass-through". I am doing the equivalent of passthrough for audio since I am choosing HDMI for the audio and well HDMI video is just that. Maybe the software is different, but on the 1600 I see no option for pass-though.

I called HK and when I spoke to them they said that the default settings should work as far as just getting HDMI to work. So they sent me another one. No luck with this second one either.

The HDMI switching was the main reason I went with this over keeping the setup I had. This is frustrating. I didn't go with the 2600 because I only needed 3 HDMI ports not 4. Also , I am happy with 1080p and 1080i out of my devices so I didn't see any real reason to spend more for it to go through another chip.

I'll call HK tomorrow and see if they can tell me what is going on...

The pass-through, as I called it, is the HDMI Bypass. However, this may not be an option on your 1600 as it does not do upscaling? I am not sure...but it is called HDMI Bypass in the "Setup Source" menu for the input you are having the issue with.

There a big differences between the video features of the 1600 and the higher models:

1600:
Video DSP Section: Cross-conversion via component to HDMI (all input to HDMI for the AVR 2600 and AVR3600)

2600 and higher:
Video DSP Section: Faroudja® Torino video scaler/enhancer, upconverts to from composite to component video or HDMI, upconverts to 720P, 1080i through component or up to 1080p through HDMI. Menu system rendered directly in HD up to 1080p

Anyway -- it sounds like HK has a problem with the 1600 as we have heard similar stories to yours in previous messages. I am certainly sorry for your frustration.
post #96 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufatu View Post

I sort of took an opposite stance on the issue of 2600 v 3600. I didn't mind the price of the 3600...however, I didn't really have use for the Bridge (as great as it is, I connect my ipod rarely, and when I do, I connect to my xbox). Additionally, I knew that the 65watts of the 2600 was more than enough to run my Infinity Beta's (since that is the same power as my old AVR-435), and I didn't need the A-Bus support (my 435 had this, and I never even considered using it).

So for me...there was no way in the world to justify the added cost! Also, remember that you can buy the Bridge separately for 100.

The nice thing about the 2600 & 3600 is that they have all of the same abilities in regard to audio/video decoding/management, so I was able to buy the lesser model and be VERY happy with all the many features and benefits!

Thanks for replying, Mufatu. My point is that IF you DO want the Bridge III, the price variance is only $90 after factoring in the price of it. I plan add a pair of Paradigm Studio 10's to this receiver to start a home system this month and having the iPod as an audio source is definitely a factor in the decision.

Am I missing anything?
post #97 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks for replying, Mufatu. My point is that IF you DO want the Bridge III, the price variance is only $90 after factoring in the price of it. I plan add a pair of Paradigm Studio 10's to this receiver to start a home system this month and having the iPod as an audio source is definitely a factor in the decision.

Am I missing anything?

I agree with you...if The Bridge is an important component for you, then for the remaining price difference it only makes sense to get the more expensive receiver...if only for a little extra future resale value -- and of course for the extra power if it will benefit you.
post #98 of 2839 Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM

If I may, I'm having reservations about going with this receiver altogether after reading what I'm reading here. I had a fantastic HK receiver (combined with a set of Polks) all through college and consequently decided that in building an adult system for my home, would go back to what I'm familiar with, but now I wonder if I might be better off going with a different line after all.

I bought a Samsung LN55B650 & Xbox 360 last month and want to get some corresponding audio going (likely 70% music/30% TV). The Studio 10's are a lock but the receiver I'd picked (at least in this forum) seem like something of a bust. I was going to pull the trigger on the 3600 and finish fleshing out the Studio series over the course of the next year. Am I making mountains out of molehills?

Thanks.
post #99 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman23 View Post

Put in the 3600 last night and I am having all kinds of issues. My DirecTv I get picture but no audio, I think I can fix that just by resetting my box. I get nothing from my PS3 through HDMI, I can get it to work through component but it will only display in 480. The receiver will not let me set the resolution at anything but 480. The HDMI pass through works fine with the DirecTv but nothing with the PS3. I have an older Hitachi plasma with a DVI input and I am using a HDMI to DVI adapter, the tv is capaple of 720P. I wonder if that could be a problem with the display, I am looking into getting a new TV anyway.

I have used Denon for years and I am really disappointed in there last couple of models. I really want to get the H/K 3600 work.

The Bridge III works great.

When i was setting up my cox digital cable box (scientific atlanta) I did not initially have sound to my receiver through HDMI either. However, the receiver GUI clearly said that "no audio" was coming from source -- that is, the cable box was not sending any audio to the receiver. I got involved in the scientific atlanta settings and sure enough found that the sound was going through the optical port only...I changed it to HDMI and voila, I had sound through the receiver. Obviously this may not be your issue, but it should be worth a try.

Re your PS3 issues, composit cables will limit you to 480i, but if you are not on HDMI bypass your receiver would still give the option to upscale (not that it would look very good). If you are indeed connecting component cables, then you should not be limited to 480 (of course), but even if you were you'd still have the ability to upscale -- just as I can upscale my standard def TiVo or my 480p Nintendo Wii...so, it isn't so much that you are seeing 480 from the device as reported by your receiver that concerns me, I am much more bothered that your receiver is now allowing you to upscale when utilizing the Faroudja.
post #100 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:

If I may, I'm having reservations about going with this receiver altogether after reading what I'm reading here. I had a fantastic HK receiver (combined with a set of Polks) all through college and consequently decided that in building an adult system for my home, would go back to what I'm familiar with, but now I wonder if I might be better off going with a different line after all.

I bought a Samsung LN55B650 & Xbox 360 last month and want to get some corresponding audio going (likely 70% music/30% TV). The Studio 10's are a lock but the receiver I'd picked (at least in this forum) seem like something of a bust. I was going to pull the trigger on the 3600 and finish fleshing out the Studio series over the course of the next year. Am I making mountains out of molehills?

Thanks.

Even buying from Amazon, if the product is defective you can return it and they will pay the return shipping costs. Maybe this is the right thing to do, try it and see...Or, buy it locally to try it and see.

Or, wait and let more people chime in over time. You have heard from M Code and I and clearly we stand behind these...but you have also heard from gerodude and jzonta (1600) and danman (3600) having problems.

Danman had trouble with his PS3, and I cannot weigh in on that for a couple more weeks when I get to test one. As for the others, their issue may be limited to the 1600 as I do not seem to experience it.

As for your components, my Xbox is running perfectly (note about xbox below). I also have a Samsung TV, although mine is an older DLP. It also runs perfectly...although it doesn't have to do much as I now have ALL my sources reaching the TV via HDMI 1...and all of my sources are either locked to 720p (native for my screen), or scaled by the HK to 720p...so again, the TV's job is easy.

The best anyone can say to you at this point is to try for yourself and see what your results are.

Regarding Xbox 360 & HDMI:
The Xbox will not boot when connected to HDMI until after it does a handshake...and it cannot do a handshake until the receiver is set to the Xbox input. That is, if I turn my xbox on, but do not set my receiver to the proper input, the xbox exists in a pre-boot-up stasis for about 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I have not started my receiver, then the xbox turns off completely...if I do turn on my receiver, then the xbox boots once it feels the HDMI port initialize. This is not the receiver, it is the xbox. Furthermore, it is not a big deal...but in the past when connected via Component, I did often turn my xbox on to boot prior to changing my receiver to it (so the xbox had time to get to the dash). Now I do not have this option. However, once booted I can certainly go back and forth between inputs while the xbox sits idly with no issue.
post #101 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 AM

I just got off the phone with HK and they said that I had it all set up correctly. So... They are sending me a shipping label for this second one I have and they are going to replace it with the 2600 instead. I'll let you know how that goes. Here's hoping that works.

BTW, the second level of support is very nice and I appreciate that they didn't make me jump through any more hoops on this. They have not heard of this issue with the 1600 from their engineering team. I am optimistic that this 2600 will work based on what Mufatu has stated.
post #102 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just read through the 4 pages of this thread.

Well, it appears that HDMI is the beast of many people's problems, yet again. (not that it should surprise anybody).

I'm glad that HK opted for a USB port vs the serial port of past models, I hope the FW upgrading process is simple and straight-forward once released. Hopefully, the kinks are worked out but I'm not holding my breath given the history of the X54 units.

Like many, I love the HK sound and presentation but functionality influences my decision as well. I'm definitely going to have to give the new units a spin at the very least.

To clarify, is the sound delay some are experiencing only through optical/coaxial and not HDMI? (ie no sound delay over HDMI). Also, if anyone can comment on extended playback experience of a source that would be great (I recall "There Will Be Blood" BD having significant drop-out issues on the X54 units, although I believe patched through FW later on)

Thank you all for your updates/feedback on the new units, its highly appreciated and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say thank you.
post #103 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Axle- View Post

Just read through the 4 pages of this thread.

Well, it appears that HDMI is the beast of many people's problems, yet again. (not that it should surprise anybody).

I'm glad that HK opted for a USB port vs the serial port of past models, I hope the FW upgrading process is simple and straight-forward once released. Hopefully, the kinks are worked out but I'm not holding my breath given the history of the X54 units.

Like many, I love the HK sound and presentation but functionality influences my decision as well. I'm definitely going to have to give the new units a spin at the very least.

To clarify, is the sound delay some are experiencing only through optical/coaxial and not HDMI? (ie no sound delay over HDMI). Also, if anyone can comment on extended playback experience of a source that would be great (I recall "There Will Be Blood" BD having significant drop-out issues on the X54 units, although I believe patched through FW later on)

Thank you all for your updates/feedback on the new units, its highly appreciated and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say thank you.

I want to make sure I am on the same page as others with regard to Audio Drop Out: As I have only ever owned HK, I am weak on comparison of other brands. I have only toyed with the brands owned by my friends...so what I take a totally normal function...and something that is to be expected, may truly be something specific to HK. Here is my experience with audio "drop out" as I think people mean it:

1. It happens via HDMI or Optical
2. It happens any time the Receiver has to adjust the audio encoding; that is:
a. if you are watching NFL Monday Night Football on HDTV, the game itself is broadcast in Dolby Digital (assuming you allow this setting on your HDTV Tuner)
b. if the game goes to commercial break, the audio encoding may change...I know in my market, if it is a national commercial it is still broadcast in dolby digital, but if it is a local market commercial, the HK drops down to PLIIx or z or whatever it is. -- it is as this point, when the HK is changing from Dolby Digital to PLII that a couple seconds of audio are lost.
c. when the station returns to the game, the sound is lost again.

Steps ABC above can happen with any source...if you are in the xbox dashboard but then start watching a downloaded video or streaming video with a different encoding, you will lose a couple seconds. The reason I used the HDTV example is because it is more constant.

Can the problem be avoided? Well, I have not tried this, but I suspect: if you lock the receiver into a specific format, like PLII all the time, or Logic7 all the time, then you wont lose sound as the receiver doesn't adjust anything.

If the symptom above is what is meant by audio drop-out, then yeah this receiver has the problem.

However, in the 5 days of fun since installing this new receiver, I have not yet experienced what I would personally consider a drop-out...meaning that I was in the middle of a movie or other static content and the sound just stopped...then came back. This has not happened nor did it ever happen with my old receiver.

Sound only quits when changing decoded formats.
post #104 of 2839 Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Even buying from Amazon, if the product is defective you can return it and they will pay the return shipping costs. Maybe this is the right thing to do, try it and see...Or, buy it locally to try it and see.

Or, wait and let more people chime in over time. You have heard from M Code and I and clearly we stand behind these...but you have also heard from gerodude and jzonta (1600) and danman (3600) having problems.

Danman had trouble with his PS3, and I cannot weigh in on that for a couple more weeks when I get to test one. As for the others, their issue may be limited to the 1600 as I do not seem to experience it.

As for your components, my Xbox is running perfectly (note about xbox below). I also have a Samsung TV, although mine is an older DLP. It also runs perfectly...although it doesn't have to do much as I now have ALL my sources reaching the TV via HDMI 1...and all of my sources are either locked to 720p (native for my screen), or scaled by the HK to 720p...so again, the TV's job is easy.

The best anyone can say to you at this point is to try for yourself and see what your results are.

Regarding Xbox 360 & HDMI:
The Xbox will not boot when connected to HDMI until after it does a handshake...and it cannot do a handshake until the receiver is set to the Xbox input. That is, if I turn my xbox on, but do not set my receiver to the proper input, the xbox exists in a pre-boot-up stasis for about 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes I have not started my receiver, then the xbox turns off completely...if I do turn on my receiver, then the xbox boots once it feels the HDMI port initialize. This is not the receiver, it is the xbox. Furthermore, it is not a big deal...but in the past when connected via Component, I did often turn my xbox on to boot prior to changing my receiver to it (so the xbox had time to get to the dash). Now I do not have this option. However, once booted I can certainly go back and forth between inputs while the xbox sits idly with no issue.

Thanks a million Mufatu, your sage advice has been helpful. Seems like the receiver itself is worth what each of us early adopters is looking for, provided that we can match our unique situations to it.
post #105 of 2839 Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Hello, all!

I've been lurking here for a while trying to read up on some audio information. I've been using an old HTIB from Sony (STR series receiver) for a while and decided to get a little more serious with my sound after hearing a friend's HK system. I have a PS3 and wanted a good receiver with TrueHD capability incase I ever need to upgrade my other components, so, since I was so impressed by my friend's HK x54, I decided to get the 1600.

I've been listening to it with a Technics CD player and watching movies through my PS3 for a few days now and it's working great. The picture is crisp (Insignia 1080p 42") and the sound is phenomenal compared to my old Sony STR. I do have the issue of dropping "clicks" on the PS3 menu, but my Sony did the same thing when I had it hooked up through optical. I'm wondering if it isn't a problem from the PS3 side regarding digital audio going out, but I'm not expert.

The manual does indeed state 35w per channel officially, but this thing really puts out some volume when you turn it up. I'm using a couple of BIC towers as my fronts and they really crank out some clean volume when I turn up the HK.

Overall I'm very pleased with the receiver. The sound is great, the volume is plenty loud (I'm afraid to turn it all the way up) and the on-screen menu is a boon. I'm not exactly an audiophile, but my music enjoyment has increased by quite a bit with this receiver.

So there's my opinion, for what it's worth.
post #106 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 AM

Glad you're enjoying it featherforce...I've never seen H/K put "only" 35w a channel in a receiver, but they do underrate the power obviously, as you said your towers sound clean...
post #107 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 AM

I want to drive a klipsch Quintet SL Flat Panel Speaker with a HK AVR 3600
( specs of the speakers)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE LCR: 80Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING LCR: 50 watts (200 watts peak)
Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY LCR: 93dB@2.83 volts/1 meter
Satellite: 91dB@2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER LCR: 2600Hz
Satellite: 2800Hz

--- Would this be a good combination or should I look at a different set of speakers or receiver. I am not really sure how to match the receiver power and the speakers power.

thanks for any advice.
post #108 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Alright, I got my first quirk. Can't have a HK receiver without one. Sometimes while watching TV a channel or most channels will go out with no audio coming out of the speakers. The first time I had dialogue coming out of my sub only. No sound out of the other speakers. Last night I had audio on the other channels but nothing on the center so no dialogue. To remedy this I paused or rewinded what I was watching and it came back on. I never had this problem with my 254 or prior other brand receivers so it can't be my DVR.
post #109 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I want to make sure I am on the same page as others with regard to Audio Drop Out: As I have only ever owned HK, I am weak on comparison of other brands. I have only toyed with the brands owned by my friends...so what I take a totally normal function...and something that is to be expected, may truly be something specific to HK. Here is my experience with audio "drop out" as I think people mean it:

a. if you are watching NFL Monday Night Football on HDTV, the game itself is broadcast in Dolby Digital (assuming you allow this setting on your HDTV Tuner)
b. if the game goes to commercial break, the audio encoding may change...I know in my market, if it is a national commercial it is still broadcast in dolby digital, but if it is a local market commercial, the HK drops down to PLIIx or z or whatever it is. -- it is as this point, when the HK is changing from Dolby Digital to PLII that a couple seconds of audio are lost.

Steps ABC above can happen with any source...if you are in the xbox dashboard but then start watching a downloaded video or streaming video with a different encoding, you will lose a couple seconds. The reason I used the HDTV example is because it is more constant.

Can the problem be avoided? Well, I have not tried this, but I suspect: if you lock the receiver into a specific format, like PLII all the time, or Logic7 all the time, then you wont lose sound as the receiver doesn't adjust anything.

If the symptom above is what is meant by audio drop-out, then yeah this receiver has the problem.

However, in the 5 days of fun since installing this new receiver, I have not yet experienced what I would personally consider a drop-out...meaning that I was in the middle of a movie or other static content and the sound just stopped...then came back. This has not happened nor did it ever happen with my old receiver.

Excellent write up. Just recieved a new 3600 - this is my 5th reciever in one year from HK. I keep sending them back because they have the same problem - and wouldn't you know this new one, recieved yesterday, has the same audio drop out. The "pop" when the audio source is not too loud but if its like the others it will get louder and more annoying as time goes by. While I applaud HK for sending me new avrs each time, I also wonder how they make money as a company? I also wonder what is wrong with their engineering team that thwy cannot overcome this problem? None of my other AVRs have this problem. Just my 2 cents worth....
post #110 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1 View Post

...I've never seen H/K put "only" 35w a channel in a receiver, but they do underrate the power obviously...

Actually, the 154 was the same. Same goes for the 146 before it (35W per channel, 5 channels)
post #111 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzulu View Post

Excellent write up. Just recieved a new 3600 - this is my 5th reciever in one year from HK. I keep sending them back because they have the same problem - and wouldn't you know this new one, recieved yesterday, has the same audio drop out. The "pop" when the audio source is not too loud but if its like the others it will get louder and more annoying as time goes by. While I applaud HK for sending me new avrs each time, I also wonder how they make money as a company? I also wonder what is wrong with their engineering team that thwy cannot overcome this problem? None of my other AVRs have this problem. Just my 2 cents worth....

Its very frustrating, especially as a fan of the brand. Kind of how the Toronto Maple Leafs never win (good thing I'm not a fan of them )
post #112 of 2839 Old 10-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Hi,

Question for 2600 or 3600 owners. Can anyone comment on how the picture upscaling is… when enabled for a Motorola DVR source? Does it improve the picture quality?

I plan to upscale my DVR content and leave the PS3 content as pass through using a 2600... that is when I get one ;-)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

thx
post #113 of 2839 Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 AM

I was considering the 3600 but after reading what is going on in this thread, I think I will skip it!

The fact that HK has not listened to its customers about prior glitches in their receivers is unacceptable. These receivers are expected to work flawlessly.

Who wants to deal with issues everyday instead of sitting back and enjoying the media that you are there to focus on?!
post #114 of 2839 Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree. It would be nice that just once it would work out of the box witout needing to wait for updates.
post #115 of 2839 Old 10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I thought all receivers do this. Some have longer dropouts than others. NBC network gives me "pops".
post #116 of 2839 Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 AM

I'm with you Bob...I think so too.

I don't work for HK, so I probably shouldn't care if people are trying to avoid them; but on some prideful level it does bother me. If I had perceived a single flaw thus far I wouldn't feel this way, but honestly this receiver is the sickness! It has done everything I have asked of it perfectly.

To compare, I spent a few hours at a friend's house last night with his new Pioneer 1019. Now, this receiver seems to be the darling of general consumer reviews and magazines. The cost is significantly close to the 2600 when purchased online. Here was my experience:

1. The remote control sucks, as it does not have shortcuts for anything. So much so, that when we decided to change the surround output type, the owner opted to go to the machine itself and push a button since "I can never find it on the remote"

2. Many people who buy receivers truly do not know, nor ever learn, how they actually work or how to properly set them. My friend was no exception. We were watching the UFC event last night and when I walked in he was outputting stereo sound. After about 45 minutes he was really frustrated that his surround speakers and woofer were not working and asked me for input. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and asked if he was certain that the settings on his DirectTV system were properly set to output digital sound. We checked, and they were. So, i then asked if his receiver was set to auto-detect the best audio output and he said it was...but we checked, and no -- he had overridden the output to a setting he said was called "sports" which (if so) must be a stereo mode intended to optimize sporting events when no digital sound is present...??? while I cannot confirm exactly how factual that is (or that the "sports" setting effects audio), it was his contention that he was therefore listening to the best sound for this sporting event. Once we changed it to auto--the receiver then selected Dolby Digital, and all the speakers kicked in -- he was happy.

3. He was happy, but I was not!! Once the digital signal was flowing, we got a TRUE audio drop out approximately ever 10 minutes! It was not on a fixed timer, but that is an approximate average time. I can reasonably assume that the problem was not from the DirectTV dish system as 1) it was not happening during the stereo sound output and 2) the video was never effected (it wasn't lost signal). HOLY CRAP was it annoying to keep losing the sound! Now...with sports, you don't really need to hear everything (but it would be nice)...but what about movies, tv, or music? The lost words or notes would be the end of me!

So what is the point to the HK? Well, I hope that the info above will do two things. 1) it will possibly explain my cynicism when people say that their receiver's (of any brand) don't work properly -- as I am certain that people similar to my friend, who don't really understand the product, might write a post all about how the receiver falsely claims it can do Dolby Digital when in fact it can only do stereo (or maybe how the receiver works sometimes but not others)!! 2) it will support my contention that what the HK suffers from is only losing sound when changing audio decoding-type, but not a TRUE drop out in the middle of the action -- a problem that is still far too prevalent across many competing devices (even the current darlings of the consumer review world).

On a somewhat related note -- I would like to give some props to HK in regard to 2 things which I think would have helped my friend last night. 1) although I hate the look and feel of the HK remote, it does some things very well and wisely has shortcut buttons for both "video modes", "audio effects", and "surround modes". Even if he could not have self diagnosed his problem...I think that purely by looking at the remote and seeing these options he likely would have started button mashing and eventually resolved his concern. 2) the visual GUI is worth every penny even for ME, and I didn't mind the older, non-user-friendly OSD (or rather, i didn't use it, I did things via menus on the receiver). For a novice user, the GUI is so clear, simple, and easy -- that I feel very comfortable betting that my friend would have solved his issue by navigating the GUI.

I do also want to say that I do not totally discount all of you that are having problems, particularly those explained by the 1600 owners. I am certain that the HK has flaws that I have been lucky enough not to witness due to a strong compatibility with the other components in my system. On this topic, who knows what my story will be in the weeks ahead as I sold my 2006 DLP yesterday for a not-yet-purchased replacement (probably an LCD). I hope to have as much perfection with the new component as with the old.

Anyway...I am going to fall back upon this once again and hopefully people will take solace in it. If you buy your HK from an even half-reputable retailer, you really have nothing to worry over. If the device is defective (or even if you just don't like it), either HK or the retailer will take care of it. So, trust in your own level of confidence and understanding with what a receiver is and how they are used -- try it for yourself, see what you think...then you'll never wonder, you'll always know; and, if you have a bad experience...or a good one...please tell us here! I'd love to get a better understanding of how great or how flawed these things are...because I am still firmly on the side of great!
post #117 of 2839 Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 AM

On the issue of general QC and audio dropouts in particular, I can't sound in about the 1600/2600/3600 in particular, but owning both an HK AVR 430 and an HK AVR 635, I am familiar with the issues!

My 635, fed by a DirecTV HR22 HD-DVR will intermittently have a loud "BBRRIIPP" sound and lose audio for a few seconds (3-5 usually). Then, it will either pick the digital stream back up (using optical, no HDMI on this obviously), or, sometimes, need a hard power off and repower to get back to normal. I suspect this is a DirecTV issue, but have no way to know for sure. This happens in the middle of program, not at a switch of audio codecs. Auto-polling is set to off. This happens at least 2-3 times a day.

The 430 is a bedroom unit only now used for CD player and radio, not really an issue with analog inputs.

Audio dropouts for detecting new streams are pretty minimal with the last frimware in the 635.

I am definitely looking at an AVR 2600 upgrade in the near future as I would really like HDMI connectivity via the AVR, and the volume control/leveling would be very welcome. Getting blasted out of my chair at a commercial break, and straining to hear dialogue, takes away from the overall theater experience.
post #118 of 2839 Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM

Well I have ABSOLUTELY NO input here just yet lol...

As I am the new and HOPEFULLY PROUD owner of a 2600 HK AVR, but I'm finishing up a little move so the new Reciever along with it's Audio backbone of a 5.1 JBL Cinema Series set up are both sitting in the box's in my room ready to be setup.

So hopefully the instructions and sound modes are clear and easily described in manual for installation and I will touch back with my experience once completed.
post #119 of 2839 Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The audio dropouts during programming is a DirecTV problem. The audio dropouts from switching channels, digital to analog is a HK problem, which like Murgen has said, has been around for years. I'm returning mine cause the audio dropouts completely like I mentioned in an earlier post. The kids will yell that they get no sound from the center channel.
post #120 of 2839 Old 10-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I have the following speakers.

2 fronts :

Mirage FRX-9 (with power sub build in)

Magnetic Shielding: Yes
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 22KHz, +-3
Tweeter: 3/4 (19mm) Pure Metal Hybrid Dome
Midrange: 6-1/2 (16.5cm) Injection Molded Polypropylene