post #182 of 2836 Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ¿che 1 View Post

Honestly, I don't get this...Why does it need to be on to remind one it's on, you can see if it's on by looking at the display...Must be missing something...Put some tape over it?

Yes, they didn't seem to listen to any feedback given for the 254 which had the same (inexplicable) issue. I think I will just put some electrical tape over it (if my replacement doesn't have the "humming issue"). Other items on my list for the 254 that haven't been addressed were not showing the number of channels in the OSD, not showing the signal type plus the surround mode on the front display for 7.1 (e.g. "DTS + Dolby Pro Logic IIX Movie"), and on the OSD status message for the given source they still show the original source name along with the name you give it (which means your name could be cut off).
post #183 of 2836 Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, I also wish there was a way to turn off the power button light. Interesting that the volume button light follows the front panel brightness setting (including off) but not the power button.

This is my first HK and the first thing I thought when I plugged it in was, "Wow, check out that volume knob...it glows!"

The very next thought was, "Man that's awfully bright, how do I turn it off!?"
post #184 of 2836 Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish the lights were the only problem I could point out. That is meaningless to me.
post #185 of 2836 Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Hello.

I've long visited this site to get other insights, but this if my first post. Thanks to everyone that provides such a useful resource and information for people like myself.

I currently have an AVR-254, and it looks like I'll be upgrading to the AVR-2600.

One of my biggest annoyances with the AVR-254 was the unreliable "night mode", which is supposed to prevent waking up the entire house (or in my case, waking up my neighbors in my condo). I found the "night mode" to be next to useless on the AVR-254: I had a difficult time hearing conversations and would have to adjust accordingly, only to have some action sequence occur with explosions and machine gun fire that would wake up my entire floor.

I'm intrigued by the new Dolby Volume feature, but in my case, I don't care about commercials or differing sources so much as I do care about Blu-ray movies. I don't know how many other people have the same issue, but if it means I can watch movies without the anxiety of the next big explosion or machine gun fire, the upgrade will be worth it.

Can someone tell me if the new Dolby Volume is much of an improvement over the simple Night Mode found in the AVR-254? Is it effective at dampening the impact of gun fire and amplifying conversations?

Thanks in advance for any response!
post #186 of 2836 Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks78 View Post

I'm intrigued by the new Dolby Volume feature, but in my case, I don't care about commercials or differing sources so much as I do care about Blu-ray movies. I don't know how many other people have the same issue, but if it means I can watch movies without the anxiety of the next big explosion or machine gun fire, the upgrade will be worth it.

Can someone tell me if the new Dolby Volume is much of an improvement over the simple Night Mode found in the AVR-254? Is it effective at dampening the impact of gun fire and amplifying conversations?

The Dolby Volume feature is most significant..
Works with all audio (digital & analog) streams, includes a dynamic range circuit plus an effective dynamic equalization. As the level is adjusted, it makes small adjustements in the bass and treble to maintain a balanced tonal output.

Very impressive with compressed audio streams such as an iPod or TV audio from the satellite box or cable box. HK has provided a 3-mode so one can match virtually any source and level...

Just my $0.01..
post #187 of 2836 Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM

M Code... any news on a potential release for a firmware update?
post #188 of 2836 Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Am I downgrading if I go from a HK 635 to a 2600? I'd like a receiver with HDMI and TrueHD but the 2600 has less watts per channel and I also read what M Code said about not supporting L7 overlay. Is there another model I should consider that's < $1k?
post #189 of 2836 Old 11-15-2009, 02:21 PM

I just installed a new 3600 yesterday and I love it. It took most of the days to set up, but so far works flawlessly. I have set up Sirius, my iphone, a Roku soundbridge, cable, CD, and DVD. I am also driving a 5.1 surround sound plus two sets of speakers in other rooms using zone 2. It took me a while to figure out the Zone 2 operation but now love it. Sirius sounds terrific. I have been reading this thread for the past 2 months and have found it very helpful. I would vote for the 3600 over the 2600. It is not that much more - about $700 delivered.
post #190 of 2836 Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gps22 View Post

I just installed a new 3600 yesterday and I love it. It took most of the days to set up, but so far works flawlessly. I have set up Sirius, my iphone, a Roku soundbridge, cable, CD, and DVD. I am also driving a 5.1 surround sound plus two sets of speakers in other rooms using zone 2. It took me a while to figure out the Zone 2 operation but now love it. Sirius sounds terrific. I have been reading this thread for the past 2 months and have found it very helpful. I would vote for the 3600 over the 2600. It is not that much more - about $700 delivered.

I'm just having trouble justifying the extra $210 (2600 is at a pretty low price right now) considering I don't have an iphone/ipod or Sirius. Does the 2 zone on the 2600 work where you can listen to a different source than what's on the 5.1?
post #191 of 2836 Old 11-15-2009, 04:26 PM

I am using a 254 but found it strange that it does not allow 2 channel stereo settings, say for radio and CD play back. I can only set output to 5 channel stereo. I know that the AVR is supposed to set up in a 5.1 or 7.1 system but my older HK model, such as 235, 445 both allow 2 CH direct stereo output with surround processing by-passed. I could set the surround mode to Virtual (Dobly VS Refer) to get 2 front speaker output only but for some reasons, there is no output to the sub woofer. All my speakers are set to 80Hz cross-over and I am sure audio material should trigger off sub woofer signals at this X-over level. It stays true for 2 CH analog inputs as well. Older HK models can provide direct 2 CH stereo settings with sub in action.

Does 2600 has the same issue or may be I don't know how to set up 2 CH stereo in 254.

Thanks

post #192 of 2836 Old 11-15-2009, 04:40 PM

By the way, do any 2600/3600 owners notice any fan noise on these new models. I noted that they have a fan installed at the back but my 254 does not has one.
post #193 of 2836 Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks78 View Post

Hello.

I've long visited this site to get other insights, but this if my first post. Thanks to everyone that provides such a useful resource and information for people like myself.

I currently have an AVR-254, and it looks like I'll be upgrading to the AVR-2600.

One of my biggest annoyances with the AVR-254 was the unreliable "night mode", which is supposed to prevent waking up the entire house (or in my case, waking up my neighbors in my condo). I found the "night mode" to be next to useless on the AVR-254: I had a difficult time hearing conversations and would have to adjust accordingly, only to have some action sequence occur with explosions and machine gun fire that would wake up my entire floor.

I've been using the 3600 for a week now and noticed a big improvement with Dolby Volume over Night Mode.

I live in a condo so I have to keep my listening volumes reasonable at night. With Dobly Volume I can set my volume and leave it. With my old 254 in night mode I was still always grabbing the remote to turn it down during action scenes and commercials.
post #194 of 2836 Old 11-16-2009, 05:42 PM

yes, Zone 2 can access and play a different source than Zone 1. It also allows for a different sound level for each zone, unlike my earlier ARs that had 2 pairs of speakers.
post #195 of 2836 Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gps22 View Post

I just installed a new 3600 yesterday and I love it.

Any problems at all for you with the 3600? I am interested in this receiver but am a bit gun shy of Harman Kardon especially since my Denon 987 has NEVER had one problem...EVER. I do like the sound of HK though. 3600 owners Give us a big review...

thanks...

<><

RTR
post #196 of 2836 Old 11-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Thank you MCode and Lilje for your responses!
post #197 of 2836 Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilje View Post

I've been using the 3600 for a week now and noticed a big improvement with Dolby Volume over Night Mode.

I live in a condo so I have to keep my listening volumes reasonable at night. With Dobly Volume I can set my volume and leave it. With my old 254 in night mode I was still always grabbing the remote to turn it down during action scenes and commercials.

Thanks for the info, that's great news. We currently have the exact same problem with the 254 and I was wondering how well the Dolby Volume feature worked. Looks like an upgrade to 3600 might be in our near future.
post #198 of 2836 Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 AM

My old receiver went out so decided to upgrade to the 2600...should be getting it tomorrow. I probably should have done some more due dilligence, but has anyone by chance connected an HTPC with DVI via HDMI? I noticed that this was a bit of a problem when I glanced through the 254/354 thread after ordering :|
post #199 of 2836 Old 11-20-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai01 View Post

By the way, do any 2600/3600 owners notice any fan noise on these new models. I noted that they have a fan installed at the back but my 254 does not has one.

Zero noise from the AVR 2600 - I wish I could say the same for the DVR provided by my cable company, that thing is pretty loud ...
post #200 of 2836 Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM

I've had my 2600 for about a week now and love it, but holy crap does it get hot. It gets WAY hotter than my old Sony STR-445. I'm concerned that it's going to fry on me so am going to install ventilation fans in my cabinet. Other than SUEs (Stupid User Errors), I've had no problems with it at all. Love the sound, way better than the old Sony.

Now I've started looking toward replacing my dog's breakfast of speakers. What would be a good starting point for power? I know HK gives the true rating of their receivers, 65W/channel with the one. So if that can be considered the RMS value then that would be about 92W/channel peak (65/.707), so would I be looking at 100-125W speakers? I really like some of the small-form tower speakers that companies like Energy (Something like CF-50) and Polk (Perhaps the TSi300) make, but they seem to run in the 200W range...Klipsch is another option. Are 200W speakers too much speaker for this receiver? I was also considering 4 identical Klipsch bookshelf speakers with a really good center.

What are others here running on the 2600 and how do you like them?

Rob
post #201 of 2836 Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM

Hey Mlai01, if you go to the source setup in the hk menu , you can set up 2 channel stereo in there. I thought the same thing when I first got my 254. If I remember right you have to hit the source like cd or tuner and there is a set up in there. Good luck.

Dale B
post #202 of 2836 Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I just got my replacement 2600, plugged it in in my dining room and brought my center speaker in there to rule out any interference from my other equipment and I still have the same subtle humming problem in the center channel. This shows the same behavior I noted before (less noise as I use speaker outputs further away from the switched outlet) so it sure seems like a design flaw to me. It is subtle but I don't know if I am going to be able to live with it. Do other 2600 owners really not notice any humming when you get close to your center speaker?? As a way of comparison with the same setup but using my Denon receiver there is absolutely no noise in my center speaker.
post #203 of 2836 Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post

I probably should have done some more due dilligence, but has anyone by chance connected an HTPC with DVI via HDMI? I noticed that this was a bit of a problem when I glanced through the 254/354 thread after ordering :|

Yup, got a Windows 7 computer hooked up to my Harman Kardon 3600 via an DVI - HDMI cable with no problems at all. Resolution of the device was detected automatically (1920x1080) so I didn't even have to set it manually.

Though I did spend some time trying to get it to work with a 4-year-old ThinkPad with no success. I never could get it to correctly display 1920x1080...but that was mainly due to an underpowered/outdated video card. If you have a fairly recent HTPC, it shouldn't be a problem.
post #204 of 2836 Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikrrr View Post

Yup, got a Windows 7 computer hooked up to my Harman Kardon 3600 via an DVI - HDMI cable with no problems at all. Resolution of the device was detected automatically (1920x1080) so I didn't even have to set it manually.

Though I did spend some time trying to get it to work with a 4-year-old ThinkPad with no success. I never could get it to correctly display 1920x1080...but that was mainly due to an underpowered/outdated video card. If you have a fairly recent HTPC, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the response.

My unit arrived yesterday and I set it up late so didn't post before going to sleep. I'm running an ATi 3450 video card and the device resolution was detected automatically as well. However, I do have 2 problems:

1. When running w/o HDMI bypass enabled, very fine text (file/edit/view/etc menus) there's a little bit of moire of the black text; something I didn't see when I connected directly to my TV (Philips 42PFL7432D).

2. When HDMI Bypass is enabled, the output is useless...the hue is off or something, but I have a black desktop which is entirely hot pink, with all other colors shifted in some odd manner as well. So I'm currently running it w/o HDMI bypass but no video effects turned on.

I haven't updated drivers yet so I will try that later today to see if it resolves the problem.

My PS3 on the other hand has had no video issues; HDMI bypass on/off results in the proper video output so I'm very happy with that. In terms of audio issue, though; the sound itself is fine, but on some games, sound drops out for a few moments as it (I guess?) tries to synch; usually happens after a transition from say...start screen or setup screen to the actual game. It's bit irksome considering my Samsung HT-AS720 didn't have any issues at all. It might be partially due to bad coding on the game dev side of things, but I don't know.

In terms of sound quality, it's a huge improvement from my Samsung, and also compared to a friend's Yamaha RX-V661 and 861. It may be partially due to the fact that I'm running Polk RTi8's which are inherently bright, but even after tinkering around with the 3 receivers and the RTi's, the speakers remained a bit too bright for my tastes. The 2600 seems to have rounded off the edges to give a far more listenable high frequency range.

Aside from the pesky bugs, I'm very happy with this unit thus far
post #205 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:

My PS3 on the other hand has had no video issues; HDMI bypass on/off results in the proper video output so I'm very happy with that. In terms of audio issue, though; the sound itself is fine, but on some games, sound drops out for a few moments as it (I guess?) tries to synch; usually happens after a transition from say...start screen or setup screen to the actual game. It's bit irksome considering my Samsung HT-AS720 didn't have any issues at all. It might be partially due to bad coding on the game dev side of things, but I don't know.

I'm actually looking on getting the AVR-2600. The opposite happened to me, however. I am currently using the Samsung HT-AS720 like you had and the sound drops out for a few seconds. This again only occurs in certain games but it gets really annoying (Xbox 360 via optical). Beyond this issue with the Samsung, I also get pops and hissing on certain channels via my Bell satellite PVR.
post #206 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:

My unit arrived yesterday and I set it up late so didn't post before going to sleep. I'm running an ATi 3450 video card and the device resolution was detected automatically as well. However, I do have 2 problems:

1. When running w/o HDMI bypass enabled, very fine text (file/edit/view/etc menus) there's a little bit of moire of the black text; something I didn't see when I connected directly to my TV (Philips 42PFL7432D).

2. When HDMI Bypass is enabled, the output is useless...the hue is off or something, but I have a black desktop which is entirely hot pink, with all other colors shifted in some odd manner as well. So I'm currently running it w/o HDMI bypass but no video effects turned on.

In terms of sound quality, it's a huge improvement from my Samsung, and also compared to a friend's Yamaha RX-V661 and 861. It may be partially due to the fact that I'm running Polk RTi8's which are inherently bright, but even after tinkering around with the 3 receivers and the RTi's, the speakers remained a bit too bright for my tastes. The 2600 seems to have rounded off the edges to give a far more listenable high frequency range.

Aside from the pesky bugs, I'm very happy with this unit thus far

Is it a PC? I'd be curious to know how the driver update went. Are you running audio over HDMI as well? I'm running a dedicated mini-itx PC (Zotac ION) with an nVidia 9400M video card. It also automatically detected the 1920x1080 resolution, the color is good and video is fine, but the text isn't perfect, it is passible, but not perfect. It has integrated HDMI, but I can't get audio working properly over HDMI. It seems fine over optical. I think this is more likely an issue with the PC drivers than the receiver. The Realtek HD-audio drivers seem to be flakey at best.

I'm not having pops, clicks, or sudden volume dropouts. At the time being I only use it for movies and music as I don't have a gaming system. The only issues I'm having seem to be volume related on low volume sources like "chick-flicks". We watched "The Lakehouse" (Blu-Ray) last night and had to turn it up almost to full volume (-7db) to hear some of the dialog just over the furnace blowing. Regular analog music, like MP3s playing from the PC (Running on one of the AUX lines) plays fine with the receiver set on about -40db. I'm sure some of it is speaker related (Low 86db efficiency), so I'm hoping to replace my speakers with either Klipsch (Something within the Reference series) or Polk (In the RTi series) in the spring. There are a few things I still have do to boost the volume. However, volume wasn't an issue with the old Sony (STR-DE435), which rarely had to be turned up over half, but it was more powerful at 100W/Chan (Minimum RMS Power), if you can believe Sony's specs. Not sure how this compares in relation to the 65W/Chan of the 2600. I know the automatic setup kicks out some loud white noise. The HK sounds so much nicer though. Overall I'm very happy as I try to avoid chick-flicks anyway.
post #207 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM

So I've been using my new AVR 1600 for about 2 weeks. Here are my opinions:

Unbelievable sound. This is by far the best receiver I've heard. Even at 35watts, you would never know because it's so clear and suprisingly loud.

However, I've been having problems when switching from one hdmi to another hdmi. Sometimes it doesn't bring over the video; it just brings over the sound. It's very strange. If I switch to a non digital source, then back to the hdmi it works fine. This is my 2nd receiver, so I'm guessing this is a design flaw.

That being said, I am working with Tech Support. I hope they have a solution soon. I'd love to go with the 2600 since I've heard it doesn't have as many problems, but I can't afford another $200 right now.

Has anyone else had this issue?

-Kevin
post #208 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarefx View Post

I'm actually looking on getting the AVR-2600. The opposite happened to me, however. I am currently using the Samsung HT-AS720 like you had and the sound drops out for a few seconds. This again only occurs in certain games but it gets really annoying (Xbox 360 via optical). Beyond this issue with the Samsung, I also get pops and hissing on certain channels via my Bell satellite PVR.

I had an audio drop from only 1 game (only specific dialogue from a specific character that's repeatedly used) through the PS3 on the AS720; I haven't tested that yet on the 2600...will probably do that during the long weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaula View Post

Is it a PC? I'd be curious to know how the driver update went. Are you running audio over HDMI as well? I'm running a dedicated mini-itx PC (Zotac ION) with an nVidia 9400M video card. It also automatically detected the 1920x1080 resolution, the color is good and video is fine, but the text isn't perfect, it is passible, but not perfect. It has integrated HDMI, but I can't get audio working properly over HDMI. It seems fine over optical. I think this is more likely an issue with the PC drivers than the receiver. The Realtek HD-audio drivers seem to be flakey at best.

**snip**

There are a few things I still have do to boost the volume. However, volume wasn't an issue with the old Sony (STR-DE435), which rarely had to be turned up over half, but it was more powerful at 100W/Chan (Minimum RMS Power), if you can believe Sony's specs. Not sure how this compares in relation to the 65W/Chan of the 2600.

Yes this is a PC...I won't have time to do a driver update until the holiday but I'll report back when I do. I'm only running video through HDMI. Audio is via optical out on an integrated Realtek HD soundcard.

Some issues with the PC audio; related with synching i think? Using iTunes, the start of every track gets dropped (~1-2 sec worth) before the receiver starts putting out audio. The receiver and OSD always indicate the sampling rate for a few moments at the start of the new track. I believe it's how iTunes deals with individual tracks. Doing the same thing in Foobar results in the same sound drop at the start of a playlist only, and only if there was no music playing prior to the start of the playlist.

It almost sounds as though every time there's no signal from the source, the receiver tries to handshake when a new signal is "discovered" even if it remains from the same source.

I'm not having any volume issues with the RTi8's (90dB) and the 2600 thus far. I have a relatively small living room (13' x 17') but it fills my apartment relatively nicely even w/o going too high which is approx 775 sqft...volume at ~45 to 50 (not sure what that is in dB on the receiver). Really happy with the sound quality so far. Was listening to some favorite CDs and w/o realizing, it ended up being 3am since it was so enjoyable with this receiver.
post #209 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM

I have been using 2600 for a week now and I love the tube-like sound quality of it although the D/A processing is not as good (less details) as Elite VSX 21 I have tried before which use Wolfson dac. However, the sonic performance of 2600 simply overshadows the small shortfall in digital processing.

Also, one thing I am a little disappointed is that the EZset auto set up mechanism is so unreliable. Many of the resulting settings are wrong and I might as well just do the manual set up with a SPL meter. However, it would mean that I can not use the EQ feature which I presume would have wrong settings.

post #210 of 2836 Old 11-23-2009, 03:37 PM

On a side note, this receiver supports seven 4-ohm speakers, right?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page