Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread
Talon884's Avatar Talon884 12:42 PM 06-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post
Thanks so much for the laugh first thing this morning. I'm glad you were wearing pants also.

It seems you have answered my question, but I'll try to express myself better just to make sure.

EzSet/EQ does a poor job. It can't get speaker sizes right and delays suck, distances are usually pretty good, so many folks on the different HK threads say to skip it and set everything up manually.

My current HK AVR 347 works like this; HDMI input 1 has my Dishnetwork DVR attached to it. The DVR puts out various audio signals depending on which station I'm watching. I have seen 2-channel PCM, Dolby 2.0, and Dolby 5.1. So even though I have not changed inputs, I have to manually put in the speaker distances, delays and levels for all 3 types of audio. Here's the kicker though. That type of audio must be playing at the time you do the setup. I don't know why, but that's the way it works. If I'm on HDMI input 2, which has my DVD player hooked up, I can now have DTS audio. The 2 channel PCM, Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 still have the setting from HDMI input 1. But if I then throw in a DVD with DTS sound, I have to set all the speaker settings again for DTS audio.

It works this way when using EzSet/EQ also...some audio types have settings and some don't.

So, I'm asking if the 2600/3600 works the same way when putting in speaker settings. Do you put them in once and you are done no matter what the audio type is, or do you have to do it for every different audio type?

I was assuming it worked the same as my AVR 347, but then HDMI bypass was thrown into the loop and confused me. I have read on this thread that the only way to get some products to works was to run in HDMI bypass and that brought this question to mind...how would you do a setup for HD audio types if you can only get the player to work in bypass and it cuts out the audio since the audio type must be playing in order to put in the settings?

Thanks for your patience with my questions!
I strongly suggest getting an SPL meter and setting up speaker levels manually. Doesn't take long and you will be much happier with the results.

girdnerg's Avatar girdnerg 01:04 PM 06-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon884 View Post
I strongly suggest getting an SPL meter and setting up speaker levels manually. Doesn't take long and you will be much happier with the results.
I do. That's what I meant by manual setup. I think you missed the whole point of my post.

Anyway, the question has been answered. The 2600 will keep the settings across all types of audio formats where my 347 must have a glitch because it does not.
microsup's Avatar microsup 01:31 PM 06-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg

I do. That's what I meant by manual setup. I think you missed the whole point of my post.

Anyway, the question has been answered. The 2600 will keep the settings across all types of audio formats where my 347 must have a glitch because it does not.
Oh, I got it now. You set settings for each audio programm because your AVR doesnt keep it globaly. Wow, thats a pain. So for sure 3600 keeps it.
markbarnaby's Avatar markbarnaby 10:50 PM 06-25-2011
Hello! My fat PS3 couldn't be resurrected anymore so we got a new PS3 Slim. Bitstreaming to the 3600 was awesome! I watched a bluray with DTS-HD MA with no issues whatsoever. Bypass was set to OFF! I didn't have time to play a game though. I will do that later. Hopefully I wouldn't have to turn the bypass on with it. This is good stuff!
jz4's Avatar jz4 01:14 PM 06-26-2011
Hello all. New to this forum and was hoping to get some advice. Just got a 3600 and had a couple questions (the first of many I'm guessing . . . ) The first is regarding the outlet on the back of the unit. On my old receiver I plugged the sub into the back, but the 3600 appears to max. at 50w so that doesn't look like an option here as the sub exceeds that by almost 2x. Is there an obvious use for that outlet that I am unaware of? Is it often left unused? Second, I would like to connect my dvd/r to my cable box/dvr so as to be able to record to disc prgms that were originally saved to the dvr. Would it be better to make that connection thru the avr or to just connect them directly to each other? I am new to all this and apologize in advance if these are stupid questions. Thanks very much.
M Code's Avatar M Code 02:03 PM 06-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz4 View Post

Hello all. New to this forum and was hoping to get some advice. Just got a 3600 and had a couple questions (the first of many I'm guessing . . . ) The first is regarding the outlet on the back of the unit. On my old receiver I plugged the sub into the back, but the 3600 appears to max. at 50w so that doesn't look like an option here as the sub exceeds that by almost 2x. Is there an obvious use for that outlet that I am unaware of? Is it often left unused? Second, I would like to connect my dvd/r to my cable box/dvr so as to be able to record to disc prgms that were originally saved to the dvr. Would it be better to make that connection thru the avr or to just connect them directly to each other? I am new to all this and apologize in advance if these are stupid questions. Thanks very much.

The AC outlet is low wattage due to UL restrictions and cost...
And you not be connecting anything other than a CD player, DVD player or set top box..

Get yourself a smart power strip..

Just my $0.02...
PTAaron's Avatar PTAaron 06:46 PM 06-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz4 View Post

I used that outlet to power the daylight mini fluorescent light behind my TV that goes on when watching movies/TV.
jz4's Avatar jz4 11:59 PM 06-26-2011
Thanks for the reply guys. I am actually connecting tv, dvd, cable box and ps3 to the avr. The question regarding the dvd/r & dvr stems from my inability to record to disc the saved prgm from dvr that was worth keeping to watch again. I could get it to work with only sound (no picture). Wasn't sure if I would have better luck w/ a newer receiver or if that is even possible. The receiver the 3600 replaced was way too old to use for that, so I had cable box ---> dvd/r direct. It's not too big a deal just thought it might be useful if someone knew the proper way to hook up. I am really excited to check out what this avr can do. Had my old one so long that when I got it a big deal was made about the "new" s-video capabilities :-) Anyway, thanks again for the feedback; whatever I can learn here will be much appreciated.
ThomasV555's Avatar ThomasV555 09:55 PM 06-27-2011
The Harman Kardon rear power outlet caused issues with my DVD changer. For some reason plugged into it, it would not recognize the discs half the time. It was an easy fix, but odd issue.
girdnerg's Avatar girdnerg 09:52 AM 06-28-2011
My 2600 showed up yesterday and got it mostly set up last night.

My question - How many devices can you set up?

I set up my 3 HDMI devices plus 3 that use audio only and now I'm out of inputs. I would like to use the front panel inputs for quick hookup for cameras and such, but the only inputs left are the bridge and the radio input which can't be re-assigned.

Have I got it right or am i missing something?

Thanks,
Rob
5seonds's Avatar 5seonds 10:46 AM 06-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

My 2600 showed up yesterday and got it mostly set up last night.

My question - How many devices can you set up?

I set up my 3 HDMI devices plus 3 that use audio only and now I'm out of inputs. I would like to use the front panel inputs for quick hookup for cameras and such, but the only inputs left are the bridge and the radio input which can't be re-assigned.

Have I got it right or am i missing something?

Thanks,
Rob

I have a 2600 as well, and although I haven't hit the limit of connectivity, I remember thinking that it was a little limited. I believe 6 is the limit beyond the non-assignable Radio and Bridge. (TV, Media Server, DVD, Cable, Aux and Game)
girdnerg's Avatar girdnerg 01:32 PM 06-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds View Post
I have a 2600 as well, and although I haven't hit the limit of connectivity, I remember thinking that it was a little limited. I believe 6 is the limit beyond the non-assignable Radio and Bridge. (TV, Media Server, DVD, Cable, Aux and Game)
Thanks. I found some old posts with ways around it using the auto polling feature. Will have to figure it out.

Another comment/question. I'm having issues with the remote; I really have to point it right at the 2600. It has new batteries from the box. The 2600 is in the same spot as the HK AVR 347 that it is replacing. I programmed my Harmony One at lunch and it seems to have the same results.

Anyone else having remote problems?
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 01:16 PM 06-29-2011
So I know that when using video bypass, there is no GUI.

My question is, when leaving the video processing on, how does the HK 2600 handle 1080p content?

With the Denon AVR's for instance, 1080p content is passed through untouched...

Does the HK apply any kind of processing to 1080p signals, or does it pass it through without any processing?

Basically I'm asking whether the HK will in any way alter/degrade the quality of the video signal when the video processing is left on...
derek's Avatar derek 04:28 PM 06-29-2011
Quote:

Basically I'm asking whether the HK will in any way alter/degrade the quality of the video signal when the video processing is left on...

Bypass on = no video processing. Anything else the video will be processed so for purest output leave bypass on.
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 04:32 PM 06-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post

Bypass on = no video processing. Anything else the video will be processed so for purest output leave bypass on.

So HK didn't take the intelligent route like Denon...(see below)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

With the Denon AVR's for instance, 1080p content is passed through untouched...

So it's a choice between using the GUI and possibly introducing artifacts into the video.... or using untouched video from the source, but no longer having a GUI or the ability to upscale the non-1080p content.

You know, I've really been considering the AVR-2600 for the Dolby Volume feature, but there is a checklist of issues with HK that make me think I'm crazy for considering it over the Denon AVR-891.
5seonds's Avatar 5seonds 01:32 PM 06-30-2011
Quote:

So HK didn't take the intelligent route like Denon...(see below)?

So it's a choice between using the GUI and possibly introducing artifacts into the video.... or using untouched video from the source, but no longer having a GUI or the ability to upscale the non-1080p content.

You know, I've really been considering the AVR-2600 for the Dolby Volume feature, but there is a checklist of issues with HK that make me think I'm crazy for considering it over the Denon AVR-891.

If you turn off bypass (so you can have the GUI) you can still turn off any video processing. I can't confirm that it doesn't still do something to the video stream, but if it is doing anything, I can't tell the difference.

If i'm not mistaken, with bypass on, you only really loose the volume overlay and the menu interface. As long as you can just set the menus and leave them alone, all you miss on a daily basis is the volume overlay. If you want an entirely untouched signal, that seems like a small price to pay. Just my opinion.

(My TV, XBOX and AppleTV are run through my TV first, so my setup essentially mimics a passthrough situation. I personally don't care about the GUI not being available for 90% of my viewing. Again, just my preference)

What are the other problems on the checklist?
PTAaron's Avatar PTAaron 02:35 PM 06-30-2011
Quote:

If you turn off bypass (so you can have the GUI) you can still turn off any video processing. I can't confirm that it doesn't still do something to the video stream, but if it is doing anything, I can't tell the difference.

If i'm not mistaken, with bypass on, you only really loose the volume overlay and the menu interface. As long as you can just set the menus and leave them alone, all you miss on a daily basis is the volume overlay. If you want an entirely untouched signal, that seems like a small price to pay. Just my opinion.

(My TV, XBOX and AppleTV are run through my TV first, so my setup essentially mimics a passthrough situation. I personally don't care about the GUI not being available for 90% of my viewing. Again, just my preference)

You guys will still have access to the GUI when you have bypass on... It just isn't going to appear over the video like it will when bypass is off. The video will cut out and the audio will stop for a few seconds then come back on.
Refer to the video I posted in post 2064 to see what I am talking about.
jz4's Avatar jz4 01:40 PM 07-03-2011
Had the new AVR running for about a week now. I think so far so good but had a couple more things I want to bounce off anyone who might be able to add any info . . .

1.) Does the 3600 run hot? Seems to put out quite a bit of heat and I was wondering if that's just the way they're built or if there should be a fan or cooling mechanism that maybe should be working to help it out?

2.) When using the XMB menu w/ PS3, every couple minutes the audio drops out for a few "clicks" and then comes back. Is there a setting I can change to fix that (either on AVR or PS3) ?

Thanks very much,
Jeff
dod66's Avatar dod66 04:52 PM 07-03-2011
G'day everyone, im looking for a bit of help i just bought a HK AVR160 which i hooked my hd pvr box up to using hdmi then from the avr to my hd tv using the hdmi output, the problem is i get sound from the avr but i get no picture, but if i use the av input & output connections then i get sound & picture, so any advice on why i cant get picture from hdmi output would be greatly appreciated.
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 12:26 PM 07-05-2011
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Not so much problems, just areas/features where I feel the HK falls short to the competition I'm considering in the same price range - Denon AVR-891 and Marantz SR5005.

The remote looks clunky, and isn't backlit like the Marantz remote.

The HK has an essentially useless EQ, unlike Marantz/Denon which have Audyssey MultiEQ.

The audio clipping thing is annoying... I don't have that issue with my current Denon 1910.

The video processing (when needed) in the Denon is much better, using the ABT chip.

For me, the only thing the HK has going for it is Dolby Volume... but that is something I'd really like to try, since I've never been fully satisfied with Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume, despite feeling that the Audyssey EQ does have some beneficial effects in my room.

On the downside though, all content with sample rates above 48kHz is down-sampled to 48kHz when using Dolby Volume... Whereas Audyssey can process 96kHz content without down-sampling... provided the AVR has the processing power, which is the manufacturer's descision (in the case of the Denon 891, it does).
5seonds's Avatar 5seonds 03:05 PM 07-05-2011
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

Not so much problems, just areas/features where I feel the HK falls short to the competition I'm considering in the same price range - Denon AVR-891 and Marantz SR5005.

The remote looks clunky, and isn't backlit like the Marantz remote.

The HK has an essentially useless EQ, unlike Marantz/Denon which have Audyssey MultiEQ.

The audio clipping thing is annoying... I don't have that issue with my current Denon 1910.

The video processing (when needed) in the Denon is much better, using the ABT chip.

For me, the only thing the HK has going for it is Dolby Volume... but that is something I'd really like to try, since I've never been fully satisfied with Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume, despite feeling that the Audyssey EQ does have some beneficial effects in my room.

On the downside though, all content with sample rates above 48kHz is down-sampled to 48kHz when using Dolby Volume... Whereas Audyssey can process 96kHz content without down-sampling... provided the AVR has the processing power, which is the manufacturer's descision (in the case of the Denon 891, it does).

Yea, I hear you. If I didn't get my 2600 for a stupidly good price, I would have a hard time justifying it.

Though, like you said, the Dolby Volume is amazing. I can't imagine living without it.

You are right about the other points, (By clipping, I assume you mean the 1 second of muted audio that happens when a new audio type/source is engaged) and if they are important to you, then you are right to be wary.

For me, the unit looks amazing, and more importantly, sounds amazing. It's reliable, has a good interface and provides everything that is important to me. Saying that, having seen the new 2011 HK models, this might be my last HK receiver
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 05:00 PM 07-05-2011
Quote:

You are right about the other points, (By clipping, I assume you mean the 1 second of muted audio that happens when a new audio type/source is engaged) and if they are important to you, then you are right to be wary.

Yep, that's what I was referring to... Although, some people seem to claim it's 2-3 seconds of no audio... so it'd be great if that's an exaggeration...

It wouldn't be the end of the world... but would be annoying... especially with say, watching something on DVR - and every time you stop/restart the program you get a short audio dropout.

Quote:

For me, the unit looks amazing, and more importantly, sounds amazing. It's reliable, has a good interface and provides everything that is important to me. Saying that, having seen the new 2011 HK models, this might be my last HK receiver

Yeah, the new 2011 models look like a big screw up on HK's part. Seems they didn't really add anything of worth, so they've fallen even further behind the competition in features...

And the specs sure make it seem like they've started to skimp on the amp section now as well...
alphaiii's Avatar alphaiii 05:03 PM 07-05-2011
Quote:

Though, like you said, the Dolby Volume is amazing. I can't imagine living without it.

Just curious - have you even used Audyssey Dynamic EQ/Dynamic Volume before?

I've seen a couple comments that Dolby Volume works alot better - no bloated bass like you sometimes get with Dynamic EQ, and dialog is more intelligible...

That's what has me so interested in an AVR with Dolby Volume... and the HK 2600 is the only one in my budget.
bdunlea's Avatar bdunlea 09:44 AM 07-08-2011
I have just recently hooked up my Iphone docking station to my AVR 3600. It seems that the cable connection to the receiver is loose and does not stay connected. Every time I try move the receiver back under my Tv stand it displays unplugged.
Has anyone else experienced this issue???
jz4's Avatar jz4 10:58 AM 07-08-2011
Regarding the iphone problem, the "unplugged" refers to the phone not being connected to the dock and not the dock failing to make a connection with the receiver. I just figured this out myself the other day. When you plug the phone in it should work.
bdunlea's Avatar bdunlea 12:01 PM 07-08-2011
Oh ..ok ..thanks. But I still have the problem with the bus connection to the receiver. If music is playing and I move the receiver it will cut out. The connection has alligator type claps on each side of plug but they don't hold it tight into receiver. Most electronics that have this type of plug have clips that lock it in.
jz4's Avatar jz4 10:57 AM 07-09-2011
Anyone experience loss of signal when watching tv? Last night we were watching tv and screen just when black. No picture no sound. I switched the channel and then switched it back and all seemed fine. A few minutes later same thing again, but channel change did nothing to fix problem. I started a prgm saved to the dvr, it seemed ok, stopped it, went back to tv and everything seemed to work. Does this sound like a minor glitch that needs to be tolerated from time to time or does this problem sound like something to be concerned about in terms of perhaps having a defective unit. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much.

also, the receiver never lost power. Displayed CABLE/SAT even when no signal was coming from tv . . . .
Bzack's Avatar Bzack 10:55 AM 07-11-2011
jz4, I have run into similar issues with my 2600. I am currently on my second 2600 refurb as I sent the first back several weeks ago. I had issues with it suddenly giving me only a green, red or blue screen with audio from my inputs. I did some trouble shooting on my own with no success and the HK tech support left much to be desired. They basically gave me the canned, 'do you have the correct firmware installed?' yes, you shipped it with 1.1. I also eliminated the HDMI cables as an issue as I hooked those up from component to TV directly with no audio or video issues. My guess it that is it a weird HDCP copyright issue but tech support seems to have no idea or willingness to explore that issue. I'm stumped as the second AVR 2600 that I just received is beginning to exhibit the same behavior. I have a universal remote so I thought it could be the order things are starting up in but this happens in the middle of watching TV, Blu-ray, or Apple TV.

Any suggestions? I am pretty fed up and ready to send this one back as well and hope for a refund.
jz4's Avatar jz4 11:57 AM 07-11-2011
Bzack, thanks for the reply. I have only experienced what I described in my last post once. There are occasional "pops" or "clicks" that I wonder about and from time to time a very brief freeze up which is followed by the receiver displaying 2.0.0 or something to that effect (it is displayed for such a short time I never have gotten a good look and do not know how to view the speaker config. on my own) Also had a dvd skip briefly. After going back and playing through the same section again, it was fine. Perhaps some of the more experienced members can help us determine whether we have problematic units or if these disturbances are a part of digital connectivity that simply drop signal at times . . . . I really don't want to send mine back as I think the sound it produces is superb, but I am hoping others will let us know if the problems we are describing are typical or not. I can live w/ the occasional glitch, but would like to know if the wise move is to request an exchange before my 30 day period expires. . . .
5seonds's Avatar 5seonds 02:11 PM 07-11-2011
Does anyone know why PLIIx Game can only be applied to 2.0 sources, while PLIIx Movie and Music can be applied to 5.1 as well?

Also, is this a limitation of the AVR2600 or the Dolby PLIIx decoder?

Just curious
First ... 68  69  70 71  72  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop