Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2371 of 2839 Old 03-03-2012, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got my 3600 setup, no popping sounds, just great sound overall...H/K knows how to make a great sounding receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2839 Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM

I have an AVR2600 and it's been great, with one exception--on ONE source only (Verizon FiOS), video drops out for a few seconds, followed by audio, and then both return at the same time a few seconds later. This happens with DISTURBING frequency. I've swapped out the FiOS cable box, HDMI cable, and changed inputs on the AVR, with zero improvement. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this, but as you can imagine, it's infuriating.

Most of the time the video returns with full audio; but sometimes, the audio comes back without the center channel (or without "high" frequencies, possibly).
post #2373 of 2839 Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post

I have an AVR2600 and it's been great, with one exception--on ONE source only (Verizon FiOS), video drops out for a few seconds, followed by audio, and then both return at the same time a few seconds later. This happens with DISTURBING frequency. I've swapped out the FiOS cable box, HDMI cable, and changed inputs on the AVR, with zero improvement. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this, but as you can imagine, it's infuriating.

Most of the time the video returns with full audio; but sometimes, the audio comes back without the center channel (or without "high" frequencies, possibly).

That sounds very similar to what happened with my first (refurbished) 3600 - it became more frequent and started happening with more sources. I emailed HK and sent a video - they replaced it with a brand new (non refurb) 3600... Haven't seen the problem since. (knocks on some wood)

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #2374 of 2839 Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM

I have the AVR3600 and there is one connection configuration that I can't seem to get working. I have an HDMI cable connecting my laptop to the unit to play audio (Spotify). I also have the cable box connected in via HDMI. What I would like is to be able to have Spotify playing while having TV/Cable on. I know I can't select two HDMI sources at the same time, so I added a second connection from my cable box to the receiver - composite connection. I am now trying to program the Media Server source to take audio from HDMI2 and video from Composite1, and the AVR is not letting me do this. When I select Composite1 as the video source it automatically switches the audio source to Analog1. And when I switch it back to HDMI2, it automatically switches the video to HDMI2 as well.

I am able to get the reverse working though. I have our CD player (it's old) hooked in via optical, and I can configure one of the sources to take audio from optical and video from HDMI (so we can have the TV on while listening to CDs).

So why can't the reverse work (audio HDMI, video Composite)? Any thoughts?

Thx
post #2375 of 2839 Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

That sounds very similar to what happened with my first (refurbished) 3600 - it became more frequent and started happening with more sources. I emailed HK and sent a video - they replaced it with a brand new (non refurb) 3600... Haven't seen the problem since. (knocks on some wood)

Wow--I didn't expect much info on this, let alone so quickly. Awesome.

I've sent an email to HK support, hopefully I'll hear something soon.
post #2376 of 2839 Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Just thought I would follow up on my popping during power on, which was troubling me on my new AVR 2600 a few posts back. The problem seems to have gone away completely on its own after the second day. I am glad it did and have had no other problems, but the fact that it was there in the first place is still a bit troubling.
post #2377 of 2839 Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Got a question here, this receiver will allow you to pick different surround sound modes based on the incoming audio signal. I want to use my ps3 for example, if I play a movie it allows me to pick almost all of the surround sound options and my center speaker works. When I try to play a game on the ps3, it only lets me pick 2 channel stereo and nothing else, and no sound comes from my center speaker. Does anyone know why? I had an onkyo and the games on the ps3 work better than this hk unit (center speaker working/ surround sound works). Anyone notice this on their ps3? Im assuming the signal from the games does not allow the receiver to send a full signal to all the speakers, but I guess the onkyo I had was capable of this... am i correct on this?
post #2378 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post

Got a question here, this receiver will allow you to pick different surround sound modes based on the incoming audio signal. I want to use my ps3 for example, if I play a movie it allows me to pick almost all of the surround sound options and my center speaker works. When I try to play a game on the ps3, it only lets me pick 2 channel stereo and nothing else, and no sound comes from my center speaker. Does anyone know why? I had an onkyo and the games on the ps3 work better than this hk unit (center speaker working/ surround sound works). Anyone notice this on their ps3? Im assuming the signal from the games does not allow the receiver to send a full signal to all the speakers, but I guess the onkyo I had was capable of this... am i correct on this?

I haven't had this issue, and I play a lot of games with my PS3/3600. I keep it set to let the AVR choose the surround mode and I have the PS3 outputting LPCM since I have the older "fat" model.

Are you connected with a HDMI cable?

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2379 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I haven't had this issue, and I play a lot of games with my PS3/3600. I keep it set to let the AVR choose the surround mode and I have the PS3 outputting LPCM since I have the older "fat" model.

Are you connected with a HDMI cable?

I do the same with the exact same set up, never a problem!

I use HDMI for all connections except componet for the cable box, only outputs 1081i anyway ....

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #2380 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHoleJoe View Post

..Yep i feel you on this issue.It seems that just about every AVR or Pre-Pro,has something not right with them units.You know for the money we pay for these units you would think we would get a unit that works right?.Its not like its a Icebox,AC unit.I have seem poeple that are getting units right out the box that has bugs.What happen with units that lasted 20+years and nothing wrong with them?Now i have three H/Ks.the 3600,2600.and there 3490 and all are doing great.But for what we pay for these units you would think they would be better.

I feel the same way. I still have my AVR 230 that this unit replaced. It was purchased refurbished about 7 years ago and has not given me one problem.
post #2381 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Popping?

New 2600 here... Heard it once in the sub so far. Waiting for some Polk Monitor II goodness to arrive (sound is passing to the tv for now)...

I'm really not all that concerned with it, my AVR40 even did it once in a while if I remember correctly... Maybe it's the high current & a little static discharge? I don't know... -- Sort of how old CRT monitors had the degauss button?

I miss my 40! -- Maybe the 2600 will make me forget about it soon.
post #2382 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
This is a dumb question, but I've got the 3600 and it's set to HDMI bypass. However, I notice some issues in games, both on the 360 and PC, where despite the fact that my monitor is set up correctly, the calibration patterns aren't visible.

By that I mean that there's black words in a black background to change the gamma, but the words aren't showing properly.

My PC and 360 are both definitely set to send 0-255. And my monitor is definitely expecting a 0-255 signal. Is it at all possible that the receiver is taking the 0-255 and outputting it as 16-235, despite HDMI bypass being enabled for both inputs?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #2383 of 2839 Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

This is a dumb question, but I've got the 3600 and it's set to HDMI bypass. However, I notice some issues in games, both on the 360 and PC, where despite the fact that my monitor is set up correctly, the calibration patterns aren't visible.

By that I mean that there's black words in a black background to change the gamma, but the words aren't showing properly.

My PC and 360 are both definitely set to send 0-255. And my monitor is definitely expecting a 0-255 signal. Is it at all possible that the receiver is taking the 0-255 and outputting it as 16-235, despite HDMI bypass being enabled for both inputs?

You are correct..
The HK AVR team designed the 2600/260/2650/265/3600/3650/365 to pass 16-235..
Probably to be most compatible with consumer standards/HT displays and its Genesis processor specs.

Black and white levels for video components shall be either Full Range or Limited Range. YCbCr components shall always be Limited Range while RGB components may be either Full Range or Limited Range. While using RGB, Limited Range shall be used for all video formats defined in CEA-861-D, with the exception of VGA (640x480) format, which requires Full Range.

Basically, in YCbCr mode, full range signal (0-255) is not allowed and limited range values are specified (16-235 for 8-bit color sources). Initially, analogue sources & displays had something called under- or overshoot which in essence took into account the 1-15 and 236 to 255 values so YCbCr was limited to 16-235.

Just my $0.02..
post #2384 of 2839 Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 PM

"Just my $0.02.."

Why ain't you up to a dime yet?... A change may be in order?
post #2385 of 2839 Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Yeah, I already do understand most of the basics, I just was under the impression at first that HDMI bypass shouldn't touch the video signal at all.

It appears that impression was mistaken though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #2386 of 2839 Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Yeah, I already do understand most of the basics, I just was under the impression at first that HDMI bypass shouldn't touch the video signal at all.

It appears that impression was mistaken though.

I expected the same thing and am disappointed to find out it isn't the case. I thought something was wrong with my TV when I couldn't get the calibration patterns to show up properly - turned out it was the 3600 clipping "whiter than white" an "blacker than black". I got around it by calibrating with the AVR out of the signal chain.

-Aaron

post #2387 of 2839 Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i am looking at buying a used set of phase technology speakers, L/R PC9.1's and center PC3.1. I was planning to pick them up this weekend, but then i noticed that they are 4 ohms. i know HK's seem to run hot, and it says nothing in the spec sheet about 4 ohms. Any thoughts if I'm asking for trouble?? Thanks
post #2388 of 2839 Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

it says nothing in the spec sheet about 4 ohms.

Of course it wouldn't say 4 ohm dummy... -- It say's 8 ohm. (lol, sorry couldn't resist )

I could be wrong here but as I'm understanding things, (imo) 99% you're going to be fine...

Could you fry the amp or a channel?... Sure, (over time). - in 10 years?
Will the amp crack up the first time you turn it on with them?... Not likely (but see the 1%).
Will the amp have to work harder to drive them? yes.
Will you have effectively cut your 85w/ch down to 65 or 70(ish) on the top end?... I think so?
Is it recommended? no.

So I would think your chances are 50/50. Sorry I can't give you a absolute yes or no... I'm not that smart.

Speaking for me (and me only)... If I were to hook up 4's, I would NOT mix anything else in... (i.e. some 4ohm, some 8ohm on other channels) -- Of course, I wouldn't buy a set of 4 ohm speakers if I were buying. (unless they scratch an itch somewhere, so-to-speak)
post #2389 of 2839 Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I could be completely wrong, but I thought I saw reference made earlier in the thread to someone emailing HK about it and being told that the AVR could handle just about any speakers you could hook to it.

FWIW I have 6 ohm fronts/center and 4 ohm surrounds on mine and have no issues. It has never and currently does not run hot.

-Aaron

post #2390 of 2839 Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm sure that's true Aaron

Can't imagine there is any way H/K, engineer’s hardware with their head in the sand in regards to the vast array of speakers out there. -- I did all sorts of crazy garbage with my long lost AVR40 & didn't have issues.

I was just referencing the manual spec and a logical interpolation as a 'recommendation'.

I'd do Phase 9.1's if it were a sweet price... Of course if I were going to spend the money, I'd just go with something around Monitor II 70's (or newer), but that’s just me.
post #2391 of 2839 Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input! i emailed HK, and they said that the receiver could go into protect mode, and that they don't recommend it. However, In my opinion I'm getting a sweet deal on these phase technologies ( Please chime in if anyone disagrees! ) I'm getting A pair of PC9.1, a PC3.1 center, a pair of pc6.1 rear/bookshelf and a 10" or 8' (can't remember) phase tech Sub all for $800. According to the seller, they are mint and even though they were made around 10 years ago, he swerars that he only bought them about 3 years ago at some sort of a surplus audio place in california while living there?? Anyway, either way from what I've read about the speakers, they weren't cheap speakers at all. i don't think i can go wrong. What are your thoughts everyone? Hopefully getting them tomorrow. if i do, I just got 3 parasound mono amps at an estate sale for ony 300$ for all 3 and they work perfect! i can use those across my front stage if needed.
post #2392 of 2839 Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 PM

@ 800? -- seriously? -- tell him $500.00 or no deal. -- (then contact polkaudio, they'll hook you up) lol...

Up 2 u - man.
post #2393 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 AM

I'm not a big polk fan actually. So even though the reviews on the speakers have been mostly positive, and they cost somewhere around $4,000 new as a set you still don't think thats a good deal? i mean i have never heard them, but Most things i've read are good. ????? NO???
post #2394 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 AM

Hey guys, what about these? they look sweet! Only thing is that the center channel looks giant and I've got one of those contraptions that holds my center on top of my Sharp 60 inch Aquos. That thing probaly weighs a ton. Anyway, what about this setup and what do you think they are worth? thanks! http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/ele/2892170909.html
post #2395 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designit View Post

@ 800? -- seriously? -- tell him $500.00 or no deal. -- (then contact polkaudio, they'll hook you up) lol...

Up 2 u - man.

Did you read the entire set of speakers involved, or were you just referring to the 9.1s? Thx!
post #2396 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 09:43 AM

I was just saying it's up to you to buy them or not...

only joking on the 500.00 or no deal thing... -- but hey, maybe they're hot? & they'll take less than 800?
post #2397 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM

oh i gotcha, so you aren't real familiar with these? I'm probably going to go ahead and get them.
post #2398 of 2839 Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM

I don't know anything about them (other than the pictures online)... I went polk, so I stopped "looking around" once I made the 'brand' decision...

post back with how the AVR deals with them... (with pics of course!)
post #2399 of 2839 Old 03-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Hey all,

Owner of a 3600, purchased from NE about 11 months ago. Leading up to a few days ago, it was working great (and under heavy use - I have all my sources running through it). A while back, my sub started to get the 'heartbeat' syndrome intermittantly.

Turned out to be a loose wire, which was fixed. Shortly after that the AVR started going into 'protect' mode on a cold start. I would turn it back on 5 mins later and would run fine.

After my latest round of cleaning, when I hooked everything back up, there was quite a bit of static coming from the center channel, then the AVR went into 'protect'. Now with everything unplugged, it goes immediately into protect and shuts off. I am assuming something is fried in the internals outputs/amp.

Problem is I bought this from N.E. and am way outside any return policy, and since HK seems pretty finicky over dealers etc., do I have to just gamble that a local technician can fix this? HK will not stand by it even though it is only 11 months old and "they don't know where it came from"? So bummed out. Just got my whole set-up the way I wanted, and now this thing craps out. I have a cheap Pioneer to hold me over until I figure this out. Any suggestions?
post #2400 of 2839 Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampai View Post

Hey all,

Owner of a 3600, purchased from NE about 11 months ago. Leading up to a few days ago, it was working great (and under heavy use - I have all my sources running through it). A while back, my sub started to get the 'heartbeat' syndrome intermittantly.

Turned out to be a loose wire, which was fixed. Shortly after that the AVR started going into 'protect' mode on a cold start. I would turn it back on 5 mins later and would run fine.

After my latest round of cleaning, when I hooked everything back up, there was quite a bit of static coming from the center channel, then the AVR went into 'protect'. Now with everything unplugged, it goes immediately into protect and shuts off. I am assuming something is fried in the internals outputs/amp.

Problem is I bought this from N.E. and am way outside any return policy, and since HK seems pretty finicky over dealers etc., do I have to just gamble that a local technician can fix this? HK will not stand by it even though it is only 11 months old and "they don't know where it came from"? So bummed out. Just got my whole set-up the way I wanted, and now this thing craps out. I have a cheap Pioneer to hold me over until I figure this out. Any suggestions?

Who is NE??

Just my $0.02..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page