post #2521 of 2835 Old 05-17-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by designit View Post

Huh? -- I don't believe* there's anything different between the two (besides the obvious specs...? You sure crossovers, levels, distance, tone, lfe trim, the 2 Dolby volume settings, etc. and maybe a need to processor reset, weren't the issue?

I took care of the usual suspects you mention. Could be mine was defective. Either ways i am happier and i have the ipod bridge to boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2835 Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Liked: 10
After reading the above post, i was just wondering about this. Thanks
post #2523 of 2835 Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 PM

How did you get it set to 80hz? HK informed me today via email that the only setting is 100hz??
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I've been playing with REW to set some filters for my subwoofer... and in the process I noticed that the crossover on the 3600 doesn't appear to do much!

I have the crossover set to 80hz... here is a graph of the subwoofer alone - I assume that above 80hz I should not see anything - but... that isn't the case.

Doing just the speaker I got this:

Something doesn't look right about this... any thoughts?

post #2524 of 2835 Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I had assumed that changing the crossover setting in the speaker menu actually set the crossover... I'm a bit confused...
I re-ran the sweep with the mic right next to the sub and it clearly shows that the crossover is at 100hz. In the sweep with my BFD's filters turned on there is a drop at 80hz because there is a crossover built into the filters.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #2525 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfins View Post

After reading the above post, i was just wondering about this. Thanks

because in auto select mode the avr chooses it as the preferred mode
post #2526 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I had assumed that changing the crossover setting in the speaker menu actually set the crossover... I'm a bit confused...
I re-ran the sweep with the mic right next to the sub and it clearly shows that the crossover is at 100hz. In the sweep with my BFD's filters turned on there is a drop at 80hz because there is a crossover built into the filters.

You can't set the crossover for the sub, you can only choose the size of the sub, adjust the LFE, and choose between Sub, Sub + LFE. Changing the size of the sub only changes the equalizer settings for the sub. When you set the crossover to 80, you are setting the point at which the AVR will filter out bass from the main, center, and surround speakers.
post #2527 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

You can't set the crossover for the sub, you can only choose the size of the sub, adjust the LFE, and choose between Sub, Sub + LFE. Changing the size of the sub only changes the equalizer settings for the sub. When you set the crossover to 80, you are setting the point at which the AVR will filter out bass from the main, center, and surround speakers.

Yeah... That's kind of silly IMO.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #2528 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Something doesn't look rite in the graphs..

Have you asked HK for clarification, since the HK AVRs are Dolby certified they have had to gone through their labs..

Just my $0.02..
post #2529 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Something doesn't look rite in the graphs..

Have you asked HK for clarification, since the HK AVRs are Dolby certified they have had to gone through their labs..

Just my $0.02..

The red trace makes sense if it has a fixed sub crossover at 100hz... The other line on that graph shows the BFD adding a 80hz crossover but only filtering up to 90hz - then jumping back up.

-Aaron
post #2530 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had a 2600 before eventually upgrading to the 7550HD. I also noticed strange behavior with the subwoofer, particularly when my sub's crossover was set to LFE.

Page 41 of the manual makes it seem as though the subwoofer is always crossed over at 100Hz:

Quote:

Specify the size of the subwoofer’s transducer as 8, 10, 12 or 15
inches. The AVR always sets the subwoofer crossover to 100Hz, but
uses the transducer size for equalization. Write down the settings
in Table A3 in the appendix.

post #2531 of 2835 Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Do other AVRs do the sub crossover the same way or is it adjustable along with the speaker crossover?
I missed that part in the owners manual somehow.

-Aaron
post #2532 of 2835 Old 05-19-2012, 09:18 PM

saw an HK - tv commercial tonight... (first time ever)

The entire time I was reading this thread - listening to the music (off "food network"), I thought.. -- damn that sound good out my 2600...

Then the commercial said "Harman Kardon" at the very end... and I thought, -- Yeah? makes sense. :-) -- (I know)...

Funny... Just thought I'd share that.
post #2533 of 2835 Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin View Post

Does anyone know under what conditions the coax digital out port on an AVR3600 would be outputting audio? I wanted to use it to feed an Amp for speakers in another room but it is not live. The instructions are not entirely clear (to me) on this either. Instructions say:

...only PCM digital audio signals are available for recording. Both coaxial and
optical digital audio signals are available at this Digital Audio Output

called HK and they said I would need to have audio coming in from either one of the coax inputs or optical input to have sound come out from the coax output, however, I have audio coming in from a Mac mini through toslink into Optical1 which I believe is PCM and still no audio comes out of coax audio out port. Cable comes in through HDMI so perhaps that audio will never be available for output through the coax audio out. Havent tried to from coax audio on cable box yet to see if that works because 1)I don't have the right cable to try this and 2)don't want to lose HDMI for TV audio as it will be lower quality.

Have been using the Left-Right pre-outs into the Amp to drive a pair of speakers in the adjoining room but I get no dialog as that is all directed to center channel. Wanted to use coax digital out into a DAC that will mix the sound back into Left-Right.
Thanks.

When there is coax IN to the AVR3600 from cable box source, the coax OUT port becomes active on AVR but seems to work simply as a pass through since volume was not adjustable through the AVR3600 nor did it mute volume when the AVR3600 was muted. Not what I was hoping for.
post #2534 of 2835 Old 05-22-2012, 05:13 AM

How well does the 3600 work with 3d sources/projectors? I know it can handle them, but the video chip in the 3600 is a little outdated too. Anyone have issues with 3d video with 3600? Also is the 3600 rated with all channels driven or just 2 channels driven?
post #2535 of 2835 Old 05-22-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

How well does the 3600 work with 3d sources/projectors? I know it can handle them, but the video chip in the 3600 is a little outdated too. Anyone have issues with 3d video with 3600? Also is the 3600 rated with all channels driven or just 2 channels driven?

Works just fine with 3d from my ps3 and also my Sony bluray player. You just have to have it in video bypass mode.

-Aaron
post #2536 of 2835 Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Also is the 3600 rated with all channels driven or just 2 channels driven?

all
post #2537 of 2835 Old 05-25-2012, 06:14 AM

I had a strange issue last night while watching Underworld: Awakening. Occasionally during high action sequences, my speakers would pop and crackle as if being over driven especially my right rear although there was no audible distortion. I suspect that perhaps that soundtrack is pushing some really hardcore LFE and that the speakers couldn't handle it because I had all my speakers set to large. I changed the crossover to 80hz for Center/Sur. L&R, and 60hz front L&R, however I still had a couple of instances when this happened. It has never happened before and I am concerned that I may have damaged my speakers. What do you guys think?
post #2538 of 2835 Old 05-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

I had a strange issue last night while watching Underworld: Awakening. Occasionally during high action sequences, my speakers would pop and crackle as if being over driven especially my right rear although there was no audible distortion. I suspect that perhaps that soundtrack is pushing some really hardcore LFE and that the speakers couldn't handle it because I had all my speakers set to large. I changed the crossover to 80hz for Center/Sur. L&R, and 60hz front L&R, however I still had a couple of instances when this happened. It has never happened before and I am concerned that I may have damaged my speakers. What do you guys think?

I also ran into this exact same issue. Harmon kardon told me to reset the receiver. I tried that and it worked only untill I re setup all my settings. This tells me it's something to do with the ezset?? Or the receiver is having issues with the 7.1 feed into the 5.1 setup. Note...when bluray player is set to output PCM and do its own decoding, there is no issue. Anything else u have tried? Oh, and it only ever happens when the receiver is decoding the lossless audio
post #2539 of 2835 Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad14 View Post

I also ran into this exact same issue. Harmon kardon told me to reset the receiver. I tried that and it worked only untill I re setup all my settings. This tells me it's something to do with the ezset?? Or the receiver is having issues with the 7.1 feed into the 5.1 setup. Note...when bluray player is set to output PCM and do its own decoding, there is no issue. Anything else u have tried? Oh, and it only ever happens when the receiver is decoding the lossless audio

This has only happened to me one time, and that was with that one movie.
post #2540 of 2835 Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM

So I've been noticing lately that my 2600 is turning itself off (protect) a lot lately when I turn it on. Main times as far as I can tell is I'll hit "power on all" on Directv remote. That turns on TV and DTV box. Then I will hit power on HK remote, while TV and DTV receiver are starting up.

I have DTV box coming into 2600 via HDMI and HDMI out to TV. Can't get TV sig without 2600 being on, so I'm thinking issue is will all 3 coming on at same time???

Thoughts?
post #2541 of 2835 Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Why dont you power them one by one? Maybe your powerstrip is faulty.
post #2542 of 2835 Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Have you tried programming the HK remote to turn on all devices needed?

Page 44, power up macros... (and page 43 / punch through)
post #2543 of 2835 Old 06-04-2012, 06:29 PM

So I figured I'd try turning on the AVR only first.

Turned it on (no TV, no DirecTv). It went into protect and turned off. Turned back on and it's fine.

AVR is plugged directly to a UPS. Maybe UPS is going bad? It keeps Tv, D* box, and AVR on if unplugged from outlet...
post #2544 of 2835 Old 06-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by designit View Post

Quote:

Also is the 3600 rated with all channels driven or just 2 channels driven?

all

No, it's rated with 2 channels (continuously driven 20hz-20khz into 8ohms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisb View Post

So I figured I'd try turning on the AVR only first.

Turned it on (no TV, no DirecTv). It went into protect and turned off. Turned back on and it's fine.

AVR is plugged directly to a UPS. Maybe UPS is going bad? It keeps Tv, D* box, and AVR on if unplugged from outlet...

Unlikely the UPS can cause this, though it certainly will not hurt to test unit plugged directly into an outlet/strip/etc first.

If you notice the same behavior, disconnect all the speaker wires from the AVR then try power up. There could be a small wire strand shorting across.
If still no change, disconnect anything connected to the channel preout(s), sub included!!
If this still has no effect, disconnect any remaining cords from the unit except power. Power on unit. If unit repeats "protect" shutdown symptom, AVR is faulty and will have to be serviced or exchanged.
You can try a processor reset though this type of error/failure indicates a hardware fault.

While you are able to turn the unit back on and have it functional, the problem (be it a faulty cord, short, or internal failure) is likely to just get worse until corrected.
post #2545 of 2835 Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Seven-Channel Surround Modes:

Power per Individual Channel
Front L & R channels:
65 Watts per channel
@ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Center channel:
65 Watts @ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

Surround (L & R Side, L & R Back) channels:
65 Watts per channel
@ <0.07% THD, 20Hz–20kHz into 8 ohms

I assumed the op was asking this... But then again, what do I know... -- I like 7 channel stereo HK style... lol.
post #2546 of 2835 Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

No, it's rated with 2 channels (continuously driven 20hz-20khz into 8ohms)

Unlikely the UPS can cause this, though it certainly will not hurt to test unit plugged directly into an outlet/strip/etc first.

If you notice the same behavior, disconnect all the speaker wires from the AVR then try power up. There could be a small wire strand shorting across.

If still no change, disconnect anything connected to the channel preout(s), sub included!!

If this still has no effect, disconnect any remaining cords from the unit except power. Power on unit. If unit repeats "protect" shutdown symptom, AVR is faulty and will have to be serviced or exchanged.

You can try a processor reset though this type of error/failure indicates a hardware fault.

While you are able to turn the unit back on and have it functional, the problem (be it a faulty cord, short, or internal failure) is likely to just get worse until corrected.

Good advise there ^^

I had to have my last 3600 replaced for exactly this reason. I went through all the steps above and the receiver still went into protect mode. H/K replaced it and the new one has been fine for the past 6 months. Fingers crossed....eek.gif
post #2547 of 2835 Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
He better leave the subwoofer wire in if running that test. Turning an amp on with no speakers the amp has no gate the power will run to infinity, bye bye amp.

On a happy note I just got my AVR-3600-z delivered yesterday. I think it's great, I've had the AVR7200 and AVR635 tried a AVR-354 way back but it crushed the blacks and had popping noises when forwarding a D-VHS machine. No problems with this one.

It's on 1.1 firmware assume it's the latest. I really like the HK warms tones and the full smooth bass. I think I like the extra brightness when you lower the Dolby volume a few numbers. Oh Paradigm ref speakers all around, HSU sub.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #2548 of 2835 Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

With the 2600/3600 - using the 6/8 channel analog input OR a stereo analog (or FM tuner) input with tone control+EQ off and Stereo bypass surround mode selected will eliminate all audio processing including bass management.

Note that in the 2600/3600 6/8 Channel Direct inputs are totally analog.
The only HK AVR with bass management for the 6/8 Direct Inputs is the 7550HD and 760 which include the 8 channel digitizer capability..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #2549 of 2835 Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
I can't see a way to play stereo with the sub off, other than getting up and switching it off? I have the tone off and select 2 channed stereo for the Radio input, what am I missing?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #2550 of 2835 Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I can't see a way to play stereo with the sub off, other than getting up and switching it off? I have the tone off and select 2 channed stereo for the Radio input, what am I missing?

"setup" button >> speaker setup >> manual setup >> number of speakers >> subwoofer [off]... -- is the only option...

unless your sub has a remote of it's own?... (which doesn't exist, or you wouldn't be walking to it...)... just sayin.

b.t.w... if you're programming (tuning) something with the sub off -- vs. "on"... = something in your settings is out-a-wack.. ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page