Official Harman Kardon AVR 1600/2600/3600 owner's thread - Page 97 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #2881 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
Yeah, I noticed that if I turn off the EQ it is not only louder for the same volume setting, it seems somewhat different. I suppose compressed could be the description.

I've been playing with the settings a bit and while doing it, I checked the distances and size on the speaker setup. Distances seem pretty much spot on. EZset set all of the speakers to 60hz crossover except for the center which it set to large. I changed that to 60Hz as the speakers are all the same. I'll use that for awhile, but I'm used to seeing the crossover at 80Hz in the past and might yet change that setting.

I've also been fiddling with the video stuff. Much better than the 247's was.

I've got the inputs set to all HDMI inputs for the various sources except for the HDDVD. Since it only does 1080i any way and I've only got a few movies for it, none with and advanced codecs I have it coming in via component video and optical audio. And I have an iPod Touch so I have the Bridge III connected though I haven't yet put the iPod into it to see how that all works together.

I had the bridge #? with my 354 an it was painfully slow, I mean painful! Hopefully the III is much better.

The IPOD plug in on my 3700 has very fast controls with better access in and out, also blutooth my iphone to it.

If the III is slow, get a HK BTA 10. I have it hooked to my 2600 in my garage and blutooth also

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
On my wall mounted surrounds it will always set to 40...boundary gain...I change them to 80.
My mains, which are totally custom, the EQ set them to 60, which is their roll off point.
But I have those same speakers set to full range in the P7 for stereo...
They just roll off naturally with the sub set to 50.

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.
post #2883 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
I had the bridge #? with my 354 an it was painfully slow, I mean painful! Hopefully the III is much better.

The IPOD plug in on my 3700 has very fast controls with better access in and out, also blutooth my iphone to it.

If the III is slow, get a HK BTA 10. I have it hooked to my 2600 in my garage and blutooth also
The Bridge was old iPod technology and mostly analog..
Through the 3700 USB port the stream is digital, much faster and higher quality..

Just my $0.02...
post #2884 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Given how much I would actually use the Bridge and my old iPod, I figgered it was in the box why not connect it? I mean at worse case I'll at least be able to find the iPod!!

Meanwhile, I changed the crossovers to 80Hz for all my surrounds and the center. That has always been the rule of thumb and after doing it I haven't heard any discernable difference.

Lloyd
post #2885 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it only the main L/R speakers I do lower.
Being my mains have sealed 8" MB drivers, I like them to roll off naturally.

Its funny, when you do the EZset multiple times, how it can give you different numbers for both XO and distances...usually the distances it gives me are a bit off and I adjust them.

One thing I do not like about the 3600, compared to the old 635 is the processing chip used.
The 635 had TI chip and you could overlay L7 on any digital signal if you so desired.
Whatever chip is used in the 3600, its not possible.
So if the signal is DD, DD+, the only option is DLPllx to send the signal to the back channels. So most of the time when using ATV or Samsung BD player for streaming, I leave it at 5.1

Custom, one of a kind pair, MJC212 mains, mod PT800 center, PT800 surrounds, SUB1500s. Parasound P7, Citation 19, Parasound HCA2205A, HK AVR3600, Marantz TT, Samsung BD player, Denon DVD-A player, MacBook Pro w/ DragonFly DAC.

Last edited by 4DHD; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
post #2886 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, one of the very few things I like about Yamaha AVRs is you can overlay practically anything on anything else. HK has always been a bit stingy about allowing much of that. Frankly I'd buy a Yamaha if I liked how they sound because you can't find many brands as reliable as they are.

My speakers are Cerwin-Vega Satellites with 5" and 3" speakers in them and don't really do bass all that well nor did I expect them to. Since my AVR use is about 95% or more centered around TV shows and movies, that works well. The sub is some Velodyne 12" model and does a fine job.

Lloyd
post #2887 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Only the last couple of HK series. As I said, the HK 635 could use L7 on anything.
And only Harman brands, AVRs and pre/pros, have L7.

As far as SQ and how that match my JBLs, only HK, Marantz, Parasound pre-amps, power amps, AVRs, of the brands I've tried, are worth considering.

post #2888 of 2895 Unread Yesterday, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Only the last couple of HK series. As I said, the HK 635 could use L7 on anything.

And only Harman brands, AVRs and pre/pros, have L7.

Right, the older ones could do L7 on just about anything, but couldn't do much more otherwise than the 3600 does now. And I knew that HK was the only one doing L7.

Lloyd
post #2889 of 2895 Unread Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

After all the fiddling and setup, I am very pleased with the 3600.

But a couple minor quibbles.

1. What happened to the blue lighting? I really liked that on the 247, gave it a different look.

2. No speaker indication on the LEDs. I knew that was gone and hadn't thought about it since I didn't think I actually looked at that very often. Turns out I was looking more often than I thought I was. I miss that.

But overall this AVR would have real WAF appeal since it is such a clean and minimalistic look to it. If I had a wife that might be important!!

Lloyd
post #2890 of 2895 Unread Today, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

If I am watching a movie at night, its all blacked out. P7, Hk.
Only one light on the Citation, 5 very small led on the 2205A amp.

post #2891 of 2895 Unread Today, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
After all the fiddling and setup, I am very pleased with the 3600.

But a couple minor quibbles.

1. What happened to the blue lighting? I really liked that on the 247, gave it a different look.

2. No speaker indication on the LEDs. I knew that was gone and hadn't thought about it since I didn't think I actually looked at that very often. Turns out I was looking more often than I thought I was. I miss that.

But overall this AVR would have real WAF appeal since it is such a clean and minimalistic look to it. If I had a wife that might be important!!

The lighting on the volume knob? It should be there, it is adjustable in the AVR OSD.

I too miss the speaker indicator, but if you watch when you switch source, it will flash for a brief second 5.1/3.1 etc.

It does look cleaner w/o that on the display though

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #2892 of 2895 Unread Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
The lighting on the volume knob? It should be there, it is adjustable in the AVR OSD.

I too miss the speaker indicator, but if you watch when you switch source, it will flash for a brief second 5.1/3.1 etc.

It does look cleaner w/o that on the display though

The lighting is there, but it is a white light as is the power light when it is fully on. On previous models those used to be a very pleasant blue color. As I said, minor quibble.

Lloyd
post #2893 of 2895 Unread Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The lighting is there, but it is a white light as is the power light when it is fully on. On previous models those used to be a very pleasant blue color. As I said, minor quibble.
Comparing the menus of the 3600 to my son's Marantz, the Marantz is much easier to use...don't have to go deep into some menu to make a change. which I noticed a year ago when I set it up.
But the SQ of both is very good. And compatible with our JBLs.

post #2894 of 2895 Unread Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post
Comparing the menus of the 3600 to my son's Marantz, the Marantz is much easier to use...don't have to go deep into some menu to make a change. which I noticed a year ago when I set it up.

But the SQ of both is very good. And compatible with our JBLs.

I've never had a Marantz so I'm not familiar with their menuing system. I do have a Denon, and their menus are a bit daunting in some areas, the HK's is much simpler. But other than at setup I don't tend to go to the menus much.

I use a Harmony One universal remote and so I never even set the remote for the HK up for the various items I use as the Harmony One does a great job of it.

Lloyd
post #2895 of 2895 Unread Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried out the Bridge III with my iPod. Looks real neat sitting over there plugged into the Bridge. Works fine and seems to respond plenty fast enough. Pretty sure I won't use it much as I don't use the iPod itself very much.

Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors