Wireless Network ready receiver with similar specs and price range as Onkyo TX-SR60?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a receiver in the same price range (~$4XX) and spec range as the Onkyo TX-SR607 that is network ready (wireless).
Is there such a thing?
I have seen some receivers from Denon and Onkyo that have wireless features, but they are out of the price range I specified above.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The least expensive one I know of is the Onkyo HT-RC180. Feature wise it's in between the 707 and 807 and going for a really good price right now but still way above your budget.

If budget is an issue you're cheapest option to get networking capability is probably a PS3 slim which is also a good br player and a budget avr with HDMI audio.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

The least expensive one I know of is the Onkyo HT-RC180. Feature wise it's in between the 707 and 807 and going for a really good price right now but still way above your budget.

Hmmm. Yeah, I took a look at the HT-RC180.
I figured that there would be a slew of low priced network enabled receivers ready for the Christmas shopping season. But I haven't seen any news or heard any rumors.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In your 1st post it says you're looking for an AVR with wireless networking/streaming ability? I don't believe the HT-RC180 is wireless, for networking you would use it's ethernet port.

I don't know of any wireless networking AVRs. I think your best bet is like another poster said, get a PS3 and a reasonably priced HDMI AVR.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog25 View Post

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a receiver in the same price range (~$4XX) and spec range as the Onkyo TX-SR607 that is network ready (wireless).
Is there such a thing?
I have seen some receivers from Denon and Onkyo that have wireless features, but they are out of the price range I specified above.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

wait two years and it will be in your price range. otherwise, you're looking at $700 entry pt.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

wait two years and it will be in your price range. otherwise, you're looking at $700 entry pt.

2yrs? Hmmmm ....

I guess the PS3 may be the answer for now

Kind of unfortunate and inefficient to be running three "computers" just to stream music.
PC --> PS3 --> AVR
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Check out the new Sherwood 904 it has those features, SRP $649..

Just my $0.015...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Check out the new Sherwood 904 it has those features, SRP $649..

Just my $0.015...

Thanks. I'll take a look at it
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 PM

With convergence, ethernet in AV receivers was long time due. With youtube, hulu etc, and along with the internet radio services , its hightime that receivers start using their
muscle to process the network traffic.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 09:14 AM

I just got an Onkyo HT-RC180 receiver. You can buy a wireless adapter to get it on the Internet. I did this and it downloaded and updated my firmware in record time. The problem I have had is that when I hook this unit up through HDMI (using my $150 Monster HDMI cables), the video starts to degrade very quickly. It begins by seeing white specs on the display, then grows to white vertical specked lines, then white, red and blue vertical lines until the picture is almost unviewable. I have checked the cables out and the HDMI IN connections to the TV and Onkyo unit (trying the multiple IN's on the back of the unit to see if they all exhibit this issue), nothing works. I have a PS3 and a DirecTV HD DVR hooked up through the multiple IN connections and this "specked issue" occurs with both devices, with the ONE Out connector going to a Sony 46" XBR2 Bravia TV. But it still degrades over time. The funny thing is that when I power the Onkyo off, then turn it back on, the picture is perfect again until it stays on for about 15 minutes and begins to degrade again with whites specs, then white vertical line specks, then white, blue and red vertical lines. If I leave it on for about an hour, you can't even view the video any more, it has been hidden by the video noise of the white, blue, red specked vertical lines. When connecting from the PS3 or DirecTV HD box directly to the TV using the same cables, no problem, the picture and sound turn back to perfection, but when going through this receiver - white, red & blue vertical lines. I can only think of two things that can be wrong; 1.) My XBR2 HDMI connections are only 1.1 compliant (I think) so perhaps the Onkyo is looking for the 1.3a compliant connection (not likely the problem, just a guess) or 2.) The unit is simply a bad egg and I need to return?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page