post #361 of 1706 Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post

I recommended the Marantz 5004 to a friend. After three days of use, IT POPPED and died.

I believe Winston is right dead on about these!! There is an apparent build quality issue with these. Now, I'm concerned about mine. Will it last? Be careful, if you are looking to buy a receiver. Yes, the Marantz sounds great, BUT is it worth the risk?

what was your friend's setup? Was he using pliiz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was considering a Marantz 5004 as a replacement for my ten year old Technics receiver, but now I'm not so sure. The problems that Winston and other are having certainly put a chill on my selection.

Winston: I reviewed this thread but didn't see where you received a reasonable reply (or satisfation) directly from Marantz. Can you tell us how you would rate Marantz (not the dealer) customer service? I'm sure everyone would want to hear that.
Thanks.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #363 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

I was considering a Marantz 5004 as a replacement for my ten year old Technics receiver, but now I'm not so sure. The problems that Winston and other are having certainly put a chill on my selection.

Winston: I reviewed this thread but didn't see where you received a reasonable reply (or satisfation) directly from Marantz. Can you tell us how you would rate Marantz (not the dealer) customer service? I'm sure everyone would want to hear that.
Thanks.

Let me summarize my three calls into Marantz:

First call after first failure - csr was friendly and said it was likely due to heat. I tried to explain to him that it was unlikely considering the space in the rack and temperature of the unit. No followup all though he promised he would look into it.

Second call after two more failures - problem must be with my setup. I asked him how they could work for a while and then fail without warning. Asked him about first unit and CSR was insistent there were no other reports of similar failures - basically denied my first call transpired.

Third call after fourth failure - CSR was gruff and insistent that there is noting wrong with any of these units and they have not received any calls of failure. I explained that I had called in already over the past 45 days and he said there is nothing wrong with their units and the problem has to be in my setup.

Soooo...in a nutshell, they completely denied any reports of failures (even though I had made two prior). I heard this was the same situation with the xxx1 series' faulty thermostats - marantz emphatically denied there was a problem until there were hundreds of units sent in for service.
post #364 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have owned five Marantz SR6004s, only one of which is still working today. All were purchased from an authorized dealer and were brand new or A stock. I bought two units - one for my study utilizing a 5.1 setup plus heights and one for my bedroom - 5.1 setup with two in ceiling speakers in each bathroom configured as a second zone.

The four units that died all died in less than 30 days. The quickest died after 8 days, the longest made it about 26 days. The death always included a pop or thud from all speakers and then the Marantz entering into protect mode. Once in protect mode, it cannot be revived - even by leaving it unplugged overnight or trying to reset it via the front panel. It is completely fried.

In both rooms, all of my speaker connections are without isssue; the Marantzs have replaced Onkyos and a Denon that have operated in the same setup for over two years. The Marantz was well surge-protected in both rooms - even to the point i surge protected the coaxial feed from the cable box.

The failures occurred without warning or symptom of a problem. Of the four failures, three occurred while watching college football on a saturday, one occurred one evening with the tuner on only.

The surving unit is still working without issue in the same setup. Earlier this week I torture-tested it, left it on for three days straight without issue or excessive heat.

It is my contention there is either a faulty part or faulty design that causes catastrophic failure to these units. One other has reported an identical death to mine on his SR5004.

Marantz categorically denies a problem.

I would hold off on buying this unit despite my true affection for its sound. There is something wrong with some of these units.

If you do buy one, buy it from an authorized dealer who has a generous 30 day return policy (and will pay for return shipping costs if online). These units have generally died within two to four weeks of use, but I have not made it too far past 30 days with my working unit.

I really like this receiver and have been more than persistent and attempted to trouble-shoot the issues with Marantz. They were of no help at all and continued to insist the problem was only in my setup.

it's a great receiver when working. I can only hope that Marantz addresses the catastrophic failure affecting these units and issues a recall to those affected.
post #365 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 AM

Liked: 10
After making a couple of DIY audio cables (both interconnects and speaker cables) from cat 5e cable, HQ coaxial cable and Tasker C850 cable, I had inner DIY-man evoked in me. I have also modded my computer in the past with low-noise fans, noise absorbing wall material and replaced stock coolers with low-noise overclocking coolers etc, so what I did was not hard for me at all nor would be hard to even less experienced DIYer.

The "whole new" and "improved" Mod-5004: ()

I got "little" paranoid about these issues concerning both 5004 and 6004. Whether or not they rise from exessive heat, I bought today a 8,5x8,5cm(covers transformer wholly), 2cm tall heat sink and 1,5mm thick heat conductive silicon pad to be placed under the heatsink. I thought it can do no harm to take some "safe measures", although I highly think that if the receiver were going to pop, it would have done so already. Safety first, said the modder and opened the receiver with power cord still plugged (just kidding, heh).

Now heat sink sits happily on the transformer of the Mara, lol.

The package is held in place with two 15cm long stripped 1,5mm2 copper wires that go through the transformer (there are holes in it) and through the screwholes of the heatsink and then are twisted very tight with pliers. This keeps the heat sink in place (it does not move at all) and tightly pressed against the heat conductive silicon pad between the transformer and heat sink.

Top of the heat sink is touching tightly the chassis of the Maranz, so now the chassis is also part of the cooling system.

One can speculate (= dream) whether the lowered temperature of the transformer could benefit it by being able to produce couple of RMS watts more or same watts more easily and with prolonged life expectancy. The latter part concerning life time is not dream though. As a thumb rule you can prolong any electronic component's life time by keeping it cooler.

In addition, I quess you all have read some measurements from test like this. It shows that S/N ratio differs from channel to channel. Usually they place the front speakers' amp farthest from the transformer/power section to gain maximum S/N ratio because transformer and some other power components generate (powerful) electro magnetic waves. Sometimes you see receivers where the transformer is behind a heatsink or metal wall that separates the transformer from amps and other componenets, like in this one: http://www.pacificvalve.us/images/BA...2AU7_Front.JPG. Btw, that amp has metal cover over the transformer and metal wall separating the power section, double insulated

Marantz uses a insulated transformer, although it is not fully covered in metal and therefore insulation could be better.

So I made a metallic insulator pad to separate power section from the amp section. Waves radiating from transformer are stopped by the metal in the pad. The pad is approx 0,3-0,5cm thick and is made from multilayered (like 80 layers) tinfoil covered with kitchen "natural membrane" and tape on top of that to hold it together nicely. The pad would not win a beaty contest or place even in the top-100, but I married her because of her inner beaty!

There is a gap between the power section's and amp sections's boards, where the pad fitted just right. I attached the pad with tape to the amps' heatsink right next to it on the right so it won't touch the transformer and hinder the warmth from evaporating.

Now, in theory, nearly all of the possible interference that was coming from the power section of the receiver and were interfering the amplifiers, are gone.

There is always room for improvement and these mods would benefit (how much, dunno) nearly all av-receivers that have powerful, heat producing transformers ("400 watt and below" transformer owners might skip the heat sink.) that are not behind metal wall or heatsink(= not insulated). Don't worry about the looks, it does not show outside the receiver .

If ever needed, both mods are easily removed without leaving any marks to the receiver, so they are not questionable in warranty's point of view. Can the same time be used more creatively or are the mods otherwise smart or stupid, no comments .

Edit: Despite the picture, the pad is taller than the transformer alone, the heat sink skews the dimensions.
LL
post #366 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Just wanted to post my initial thoughts on the SR6004:

+ Really easy to set up, with reasonably intuitive and responsive GUI
+ Only been using it for 48 hours, but sound quality is already superb
+ The remote is well-designed and responsive, feels good in the hand
+ Thankfully lip-sync can easily be adjusted on-the-fly via the remote
+ It's almost instant when switching between inputs and audio formats
+ I've experienced no HDMI handshake issues using Pioneer PDP-428XD

- Cycling through the various surround modes can be a bit of a drag
- Although DTS Neo:6 sounds fantastic, I still miss Logic 7 a little bit
- Auto Lip Sync doesn't appear to work at all, so I still set it manually

All in all, I'm very pleased with my new purchase. Recommended!

Cheers,
McNulty
post #367 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 15
Winston: Thanks for summarizing your telephone calls to Marantz and the performance/quality issues you had with those units. I'm not sure if I'm more astounded with those unit's reliability issues or with the terrible customer service you received from Marantz. Shocking. This is NOT the way to gain customer loyalty or reputation.

Maybe I need to look at Onkyo again.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #368 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Guys, i am looking for a review on the 6004 , specially the amp section, but I can't find any. I would like to know if the tests are better than the 6003. In have the 03 with Monitor Audio S10 and could use some more juice!!!. No , I don't want to go with a dedicated amp.
post #369 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Guys, i am looking for a review on the 6004 , specially the amp section, but I can't find any. I would like to know if the tests are better than the 6003. In have the 03 with Monitor Audio S10 and could use some more juice!!!. No , I don't want to go with a dedicated amp.

The amp section is quite similar to 03 series. 04 series has new power supply but according to Hifimaailma's (Finnish hifi magazine) review, it (6004) produces nearly same RMS watts than 6003. But the watts vary with test methods, whether the power is measured with pink noise or 1kHz signal etc. etc. I would like to see hometheatermag.com's review of the 5004/6004 still so it could be compared with their 6003 review...

I don't know how the dynamic power compares between 03 and 04 series. In 04 series the capasitors (in 5004 there are two, 6004's quantity is unknown) are 20,000 µF, and we have been wondering how big they are in 03 series. If they are smaller, it affects directly to dynamic power the amp can produce. Maybe you can try to check them out (, opening the chassis is pretty simple)?
post #370 of 1706 Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

what was your friend's setup? Was he using pliiz?

Winston, Get this! All he had set up was an HDMI cable connection to a Tivo. There were no other components feeding into it. AND! The receiver was only hooked to a center, left, and right speakers. There were no surrounds, and no heights! AND BOOM! It blew. Now if it couldn't handle that amount of stuff hooked to it, that is pretty lame. And If that doesn't point to a lack of build quality, nothing does!
post #371 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAhr View Post

Winston, Get this! All he had set up was an HDMI cable connection to a Tivo. There were no other components feeding into it. AND! The receiver was only hooked to a center, left, and right speakers. There were no surrounds, and no heights! AND BOOM! It blew. Now if it couldn't handle that amount of stuff hooked to it, that is pretty lame. And If that doesn't point to a lack of build quality, nothing does!

I think those receivers that are going to pop will do it eventually regardless the setup.

None of you have reported smoke coming from the inside of the receiver, which would refer to burnt component. This (if there is any burnt component) could also be tested by smelling different parts of the receiver.

With no burnt component, maybe the protection circuit has malfunction; it triggers without cause and stays triggered? I don't know if the receiver has any fuse but it probably has. The problems could also rise from a broken fuse.

I hope we get the answer what causes the popping of US (so far) models.
post #372 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

In addition to my previous post, 6004 has been reviewed here, but the article is not free. http://audiovision.de/index.php?id=70&cat=av_1

6003 got 89 points, 6004 got 86... interesting.

Edit:I bought the article, so here's the power ratings

6003:

91 watts into 8 ohms, 1kHz sine-tone
180 watts into 4 ohms, 1kHz sine-tone

6004:

89 watts into 8 ohms, 1kHz sine-tone
169 watts into 4 ohms, 1kHz sine-tone

I think power ratings are identical between 03 and 04 series, despite the different transformer in 6004. Little difference above comes from the +/- 5 percent or whatever tolerance used in components.

Also the S/N-ratio in all channels is within 0,6dB in both models, 6003 has little better values, maybe due to different/better placement of the transformer.

All in all, both series look nearly identical in performance.
post #373 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legis View Post

I think those receivers that are going to pop will do it eventually regardless the setup.

None of you have reported smoke coming from the inside of the receiver, which would refer to burnt component. This (if there is any burnt component) could also be tested by smelling different parts of the receiver.

With no burnt component, maybe the protection circuit has malfunction; it triggers without cause and stays triggered? I don't know if the receiver has any fuse but it probably has. The problems could also rise from a broken fuse.

I hope we get the answer what causes the popping of US (so far) models.

That's why I think it might be a bad thermostat tripping it. Bad protection circuit is definitely a possibility.
post #374 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 AM

I translated the the audiovision's review through Google translate.

There were three receivers included in the test; Marantz SR6004 (1,000 euros), Onkyo TX-SR807 (1,000 euros) and Yamaha RX-V 2065 (1,100 euros).

Points;
Marantz: 86,
the test winner Onkyo: 89
Yamaha 87.

Although the Marantz came in last, it was not due the sound quality; other aspects dropped the points. Actually Marantz's introduction section consists largely of praising the receiver's sound quality so they really liked it.

Adjectives concerning Marantz: neutral, airy, transparent, homogenous, honest, precise, clean and dry bass (but also more reserved than competition's bass = Marantz has more of a "hi-fi" bass production), bass out mode "both" produces very/too much bass (my addition: matter of adjusting really), good spatial imaging. Summary: In some aspects the sound was better than in the competition.

Adjectives concerning Onkyo: powerfull, dynamic, good reproduction of dialogue, lacking the best detail, Yamaha and Marantz are more relaxed and loose, HDMI sound is rougher and less airy, can sound sometimes gritty. Summary: Better dynamics and power, but worse overall sound quality than in Maranz and Yamaha.

Adjectivess concerning Yamaha: good bass response with music but not the weightiest or punchiest with movies, precise, rich, good detail. Summary: good music reproduction, in some areas even better than Marantz even though Marantz is (tightly) the overall winner in sound quality.
post #375 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After some discussions with my dealer, I tried both a 5004 and 6003. Beyond my masochistic urges, I wanted to understand if my problem was limited to the 6004 or the xx4 series.

Needless to say, I turned on the 5004 in my bedroom and the 6003 in my study on and left it running since this morning. Just got a call from my wife that she heard a pop in the bedroom and the receiver's red light was blinking. The 6003 is still running without issue.
post #376 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:

after some discussions with my dealer, i tried both a 5004 and 6003. Beyond my masochistic urges, i wanted to understand if my problem was limited to the 6004 or the xx4 series.

Needless to say, i turned on the 5004 in my bedroom and the 6003 in my study on and left it running since this morning. Just got a call from my wife that she heard a pop in the bedroom and the receiver's red light was blinking. The 6003 is still running without issue.

roflol!
post #377 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
winston i thank you will be happy with the 6003 for years to come we are very happy with ours good luck.
post #378 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan View Post

winston i thank you will be happy with the 6003 for years to come we are very happy with ours good luck.

I think there's something flawed with the xx4 series. now if the 6003 taps out, we can safely it's a marantz/my house issue.
post #379 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
we have had zero problems with our 6003 i hope you will have the same.
post #380 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallan View Post

we have had zero problems with our 6003 i hope you will have the same.

i do miss the fourth hdmi and dynamic volume!
post #381 of 1706 Old 11-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

i do miss the fourth hdmi and dynamic volume!

I think it is too soon for a conclusion, you need to wait for 6003 test period to finish.

BTW, am I the only lucky guy with 5004?? So far it is working without any problem and still sound fantastic.
post #382 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

I think it is too soon for a conclusion, you need to wait for 6003 test period to finish.

BTW, am I the only lucky guy with 5004?? So far it is working without any problem and still sound fantastic.

Knock on wood. I am not having any problems either. But, I get really nervous every time I turn my unit on.
post #383 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 02:03 AM

I have had my 5004 now for about 1 month, and i never turn it off it's alway's on and it's used for more then 12 hours a day.

It is an european model tho as i live in holland. So knock on wood but until now all is fine with it.
post #384 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 02:40 AM

1 month anniversary today with european SR5004, actually .
post #385 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Totally agree. It will be on all weekend and I intend to push it to see if it really is a my house/marantz issue.
post #386 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwens View Post

I have had my 5004 now for about 1 month, and i never turn it off it's alway's on and it's used for more then 12 hours a day.

It is an european model tho as i live in holland. So knock on wood but until now all is fine with it.

It's very possible that we're dealing with an acute problem in a batch of units. all of my units ultimately came from the same wholesaler.
post #387 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and lost, have you had any more phantom power ons again with yours?
post #388 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Winston, go buy a lottery ticket! The stars are lined up for you, buddy.
post #389 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCutcheon View Post

Winston, go buy a lottery ticket! The stars are lined up for you, buddy.

tell me about it...

on an other note, does it strike any of you as strange there are no 6004 refurbs out yet ac4l and other places?
post #390 of 1706 Old 11-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

and lost, have you had any more phantom power ons again with yours?

Fortunately not! If I had one more "automatic turning on" believe me I would send it back

BTW, same as HotAhr, I am a little worried and sometimes when I download the R5 version of DivX movies (with bad mic. sounds), I change the HDMI setting to pass-through so the speakers and amplifier do not get hurt. Knock on wood indeed ...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6004 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page