post #631 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

Why does these issues have to happen anyways. Isn't there any word from Marantz USA if they found out what the problems with Marantz receivers that are causing these problems??? This scares and frustrates me as I would want to order the sr5003 or even the sr6003. For a well known quality company like Marantz and so many owners experiencing these so called pop or death, spontaneous combustions, etc, is not good for their reputation. They should call for a recall on their products and fix whatever is causing these issues as potential buyers like me are scared and frustrated as I do very well know the sound quality of a Marantz receiver but is afraid to be one of those that will have a bad experience with this "POP DIVA" of a receiver.

I really wish Marantz AV gear was still made in Japan, their top two Blu-ray players are made in Japan! Every component I have ever own that was made in Japan has NEVER failed me in 20 years, had many other failures where products were made elsewhere. It really breaks my heart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 04:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

My MK Sound THX system has my front three L/C/R speakers at 4 ohms while my surrounds are 8 ohms, I guess having the surrounds 8 ohm makes things easier on the amp section. I have a powerful Denon unit with 140 watts into 8 ohms by 5 channels, since my front right, center and left front are 4 ohms mean that the amp section needs a lot more current! So I am probably pulling 280 watts in the front three speakers alone, receivers that can't handle the loads placed on them will run hot and probably auto shutdown if things really get hot!

If you are having to increase the volume to high levels just to hear them, you receiver isn't up to the task of powering your speakers. It also depends on the speaker, my five main speakers have one 1" silk dome tweeter and two 5 1/4" midrange/woofers that don't take to much current since the only can handle 80Hz - 20kHz, not much bass output. Speakers with bigger woofers require lots more power especially when dealing with 4 ohm loads, producing bass is the hardest thing for an amp to amplify while midrange and highs require less.

What speakers do you own?

I own the Swedish DLS M66 4 ohms - as front
The smaller serie DLS R50 in behind surround and - no SUB and no Center
post #633 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyros1 View Post

I need more than that, recommended watts, speaker sensitivity and frequency response?
post #634 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 AM

I am sorry if this has been posted before, but a comprehensive review has been made by areadvd. It's german so i posted a google translated link and the original.

http://translate.google.nl/translate...ml&sl=de&tl=en

Original:

http://www.areadvd.de/lm/AV_Hardware...tzsr6004.shtml
post #635 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:

I need more than that, recommended watts, speaker sensitivity and frequency response?

okay - hope this helps - thanks:

Description / type 2.5-way bass reflex
Finish / colour Black piano
Impedance 4 ohm
Woofer size 6,5"
Midrange size Woofer / midrange 6,5"
Frequency range 40 Hz - 30 kHz (-3dB)
Tweeter 28 mm soft dome tweeter
Sensitivity 89 dB / 1m, 1W
Crossover point (Hz) 3600 Hz
Crossover 1st /2nd order Bessel
Recommended amplifier 50 - 250 Watts
Weight 28,4 kg /62,6 lbs
Dimension (W x D x H) 200 x 360 x 1080 mm (7,9" x 14,2" x 42,5")

Article number(s)
post #636 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 07:52 AM
zel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Without center speaker your Marantz will compress the dynamic range - leading to weak bass and muffled sound.

If your player can output multichannel PCM, use that (as the compression is possible only with Dolby Digital bitstreams).
post #637 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post

Without center speaker your Marantz will compress the dynamic range - leading to weak bass and muffled sound.

If your player can output multichannel PCM, use that (as the compression is possible only with Dolby Digital bitstreams).

I never ever heard about this before, how do u know this ?
post #638 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 01:12 PM
zel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwens View Post

I never ever heard about this before, how do u know this ?

From personal experience with SR6003. Marantz service has confirmed (after looking at my receiver for 4 weeks..) that it is working as intended. See this post and the quoted post for more details. I've tested the SR6004 and it has the same "feature".

I've also seen an older Harman/Kardon that does the same, so it's not just Marantz. On the other hand, the two Yamahas I've had were ok.
post #639 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:

It means if I get a Center speaker I get more Bass ?
(and bass sound - like my old Marantz SR 5600 maybe)?
post #640 of 1706 Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

okay - hope this helps - thanks:

Description / type 2.5-way bass reflex
Finish / colour Black piano
Impedance 4 ohm
Woofer size 6,5"
Midrange size Woofer / midrange 6,5"
Frequency range 40 Hz - 30 kHz (-3dB)
Tweeter 28 mm soft dome tweeter
Sensitivity 89 dB / 1m, 1W
Crossover point (Hz) 3600 Hz
Crossover 1st /2nd order Bessel
Recommended amplifier 50 - 250 Watts
Weight 28,4 kg /62,6 lbs
Dimension (W x D x H) 200 x 360 x 1080 mm (7,9" x 14,2" x 42,5")

Article number(s)

After reviewing your speaker specs I honestly doubt you receiver has the power to drive your speakers let alone and center channel added in the future! I seriously doubt my receiver would be capable of driving your speakers, with my speakers 1" silk dome tweeters and dual 5 1/4 midbass drivers I have been able to trip the protection mode which shuts down the amp if it is stressed to much. With 4 ohm speakers with 6.5" woofers your going to need an amplifier capable of driving 4 ohm loads @ 150-250 watts of power! You high caliber speakers need an external 5 channel amplifier as your speakers are monsters, meaning they are capable of killer sound qualities!

If your on a budget have a look at Emotiva's very affordable 5 channel amps, two models that would be excellent for your speakers! Even if your speakers are rated at max RMS @ 250 watts doesn't mean 300 watts will hurt them, it ALWAYS better to have more power than you need! Amps that are underpowered cause clipping because of the lack of power. I'm pushing 280 watts through a speaker rated @ 4 ohms 200 watts RMS and after 8 years no problems!
can
http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm

Power output (all channels driven):
185 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
125 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
post #641 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I had three 6004s die via optical and one 6004 via hdmi.

i had one 5004 die via optical.

Have you heard any answers from Marantz on the units that you have returned? Very anxious to hear what they will say.
post #642 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:

From personal experience with SR6003. Marantz service has confirmed (after looking at my receiver for 4 weeks..) that it is working as intended. See this post and the quoted post for more details. I've tested the SR6004 and it has the same "feature".

I've also seen an older Harman/Kardon that does the same, so it's not just Marantz. On the other hand, the two Yamahas I've had were ok.

Are u shure u are not confusing the center with the sub, i still cannot see why leaving out the center channel will result in a los of bass. The only disadvantages i can think off in leaving out the center is that u do not have control over the volume, so u cannot adjust it to personal taste. And u have to sit in the center of your speaker setup.

On the other hand if u feed the sub to your main channels, becouse u do not have a sub, u will have to have a main speaker setup who is big enough to handle the low frequencies. Also it's tricky, becouse u will have very limited control over the extreme low frequencies volume, i do not think u can adjust the volume at all. Low frequencies can be a real pain in a normal living room which can result in bad lfe performance.

When u have a sub u can experiment more with the placing of the sub and also the volume of lfe frequency. Also u will have more control over the crossover frequency.

So i find it hard to believe the av amp compresses the output, it's more likely that your main speakers are having a hard time dealing with the extreme lfe information form now a day's hd-audio sources.
post #643 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:

After reviewing your speaker specs I honestly doubt you receiver has the power to drive your speakers let alone and center channel added in the future! I seriously doubt my receiver would be capable of driving your speakers, with my speakers 1" silk dome tweeters and dual 5 1/4 midbass drivers I have been able to trip the protection mode which shuts down the amp if it is stressed to much. With 4 ohm speakers with 6.5" woofers your going to need an amplifier capable of driving 4 ohm loads @ 150-250 watts of power! You high caliber speakers need an external 5 channel amplifier as your speakers are monsters, meaning they are capable of killer sound qualities!

If your on a budget have a look at Emotiva's very affordable 5 channel amps, two models that would be excellent for your speakers! Even if your speakers are rated at max RMS @ 250 watts doesn't mean 300 watts will hurt them, it ALWAYS better to have more power than you need! Amps that are underpowered cause clipping because of the lack of power. I'm pushing 280 watts through a speaker rated @ 4 ohms 200 watts RMS and after 8 years no problems!
can
http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm

185 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
125 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm

300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

Since I have started this topic about driving 4 Ohm front speakers I can say now that I am completely confused. Others say that it will be ok and others say that it will not be ok. For confirming this issue a sent a mail to Marantz to get an official answer from them. However the answer is pending for some days now (due to holidays I suppose) and I am completely frustruated since I have the receiver for 1 week now and I have it still in its box (!) until the issue is clarified.
Just to mention that I am using my 4 Ohm front speakers for 7 years with my Marantz SR6200 receiver without any problem whatsoever. So I cannot understand why I cannot use them with my new SR6004.

FYI I use the following speakers from Chario Syntar series.
Center the Syntar dialogue at 8 Ohm
Surround the Syntar 200 at 8 Ohm
Front the Syntar 200T at 4 Ohm.

Techlord what do you think, will I have a problem if I use these speakers with the Sr6004?
Furhter specs of my front speakers are listed below:
- Low Frequency Load: vented NRS/2pi
- Configuration: 3 way vertical array
- Drivers: one 170 mm doped paper subwoofer
one 170 mm doped paper midrange
one 27 mm textile dome tweeter

- Sensitivity: 90 dB SPL, 2.83V/1m
- Frequency: @-3dB: 55Hz
- Acoustic crossover frequency: 220 1,600 Hz
- Acoustic Alignment: LKR4-Like
- Rated Impedance: 4 Ohm
- Suggested Amplifiers: rated for 30-110 W/4 Ohm
- Size (HxWxD) mm: 960x210x300
- Weight: 20 kg
post #644 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 AM
zel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwens View Post

Are u shure u are not confusing the center with the sub, i still cannot see why leaving out the center channel will result in a los of bass.

Yes, I am sure. If you set center and/or surrounds to "off" in speaker settings, Marantz quietly enables dynamic range compression.

Apparently they use Dolby Digital decoder for downmixing, and it automatically enables DRC to avoid clipping when downmixing. I have found some posts suggesting that other receivers might do this.

On the other hand, I have used an older Yamaha RX-V800 and RX-V3900 with the exact same setup and they didn't have this problem.

Quote:

So i find it hard to believe the av amp compresses the output, it's more likely that your main speakers are having a hard time dealing with the extreme lfe information form now a day's hd-audio sources.

I found it hard to believe too, but in addition to testing this extensively I do have measurements (directly from line outputs) to show that it does compress - and Marantz service has confirmed this.

re. speakers, subs and settings: I have a fairly capable SVS subwoofer with Anti-Mode 8033 for room correction, active servo speakers with built-in room correction as mains and all speakers set to small. I don't have any problems with DTS or PCM tracks (or Dolby Digital, if I decode in the player and feed multichannel PCM to my receiver). My pity of neighbors starts limiting output before my equipment does.
post #645 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by botzos View Post

Since I have started this topic about driving 4 Ohm front speakers I can say now that I am completely confused. Others say that it will be ok and others say that it will not be ok. For confirming this issue a sent a mail to Marantz to get an official answer from them. However the answer is pending for some days now (due to holidays I suppose) and I am completely frustruated since I have the receiver for 1 week now and I have it still in its box (!) until the issue is clarified.
Just to mention that I am using my 4 Ohm front speakers for 7 years with my Marantz SR6200 receiver without any problem whatsoever. So I cannot understand why I cannot use them with my new SR6004.

FYI I use the following speakers from Chario Syntar series.
Center the Syntar dialogue at 8 Ohm
Surround the Syntar 200 at 8 Ohm
Front the Syntar 200T at 4 Ohm.

Techlord what do you think, will I have a problem if I use these speakers with the Sr6004?
Furhter specs of my front speakers are listed below:
- Low Frequency Load: vented NRS/2pi
- Configuration: 3 way vertical array
- Drivers: one 170 mm doped paper subwoofer
one 170 mm doped paper midrange
one 27 mm textile dome tweeter

- Sensitivity: 90 dB SPL, 2.83V/1m
- Frequency: @-3dB: 55Hz
- Acoustic crossover frequency: 220 1,600 Hz
- Acoustic Alignment: LKR4-Like
- Rated Impedance: 4 Ohm
- Suggested Amplifiers: rated for 30-110 W/4 Ohm
- Size (HxWxD) mm: 960x210x300
- Weight: 20 kg

Ok your center only needs 80W @ 8 ohms, your surrounds 100W @ 8 ohms so I don't see these as being a big drain on your system. It's your towers that are the big question mark, the only way to find out whether your towers are to much for the system is to give it a try. Then if you seem to be able to volume up without any shutdowns or excessive heat, this is the sure proof way to find out. No one can answer the question better than hooking it up and finding out, my only doubt is those 160mm subwoofers. Bass requires more power than any midrange or tweeter ever will in a conventional speaker, I say it can't hurt to give it a try.
post #646 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
The differences between the amplifier and power supply ratings of the two receivers seem to be small enough that the 6004 should be able to drive the speakers to similar sound levels.

(I've used the much lower rated NR1501 to drive 4 ohm bookshelf speakers to reasonable levels in a small room, although I'll admit that I probably wouldn't have gotten the 1501 if I'd remembered the speaker ratings.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #647 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The differences between the amplifier and power supply ratings of the two receivers seem to be small enough that the 6004 should be able to drive the speakers to similar sound levels.

(I've used the much lower rated NR1501 to drive 4 ohm bookshelf speakers to reasonable levels in a small room, although I'll admit that I probably wouldn't have gotten the 1501 if I'd remembered the speaker ratings.)

To which 2 receivers you are refering to?
post #648 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 AM

Hello all, time for me to ask for some help please.

I have spent a few months now reading up on this forum about all the pros and cons of the different A/V Receivers available and have started to hit a brick wall through confusion as to what I want it to do and as to what is going to work the best for me.

I am aware that it is not possible to future proof beyond the 5 year mark, but I would like a piece of kit that would last longer than 5 years and stand by me!!

What I want from the system:

7.1 surround sound;
Good sound quality for listening to stereo sound music, movies, with a side order of some gaming from ps3 & wii and the usual television;
About 4 HDMI inputs (Not so worried about other inputs as these are usually covered nicely when you have 4 HDMI inputs!!);
Internet radio (through network card).

I think those are my main requests. The internet radio came in as an after thought because no-one seems to provide DABS therefore with an eye for future proofing having internet radio would solve this. Also the fact that I can therefore network my AVR would mean a lot to me as I am keen with computers and have a network setup at home.

Interested in the following AVR:

Pioneer SC-LX72 (I think this is the same as the Elite SC-27)
Onkyo TX-NR807
Onkyo PR-SC886
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
Marantz sr6004

I am aware that the bottom 2 do not have networking capabilities, but this is where I was initially looking.

One thing that has put me off the Marantz sr6004 are the stories of the "Pop of death" although I am aware that it is very good at dealing with stereo music. In addition the fact that it is only better at analog audio as opposed to the digital audio as a main difference between the Marantz sr6004 and the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K. The other key difference that appears to me is that the Pioneer is more user friendly.

I know very little about Onkyo, aside from the fact that they are good machines, but they also run very hot.

The other factor to mention is that to begin with I will be putting this AVR with some Kef iQ70/iQ90 at the front and a Kef center speaker with a hold on buying new speakers for the rest of the surround sound experience when I have a bit more money, but I will probably keep them as Kef.

1. I think my main point is, are there other key features that I should really concentrate on?

2. Are there any key points that people know about that make one of the above stand out amongst the rest?

3. Is there one company that has brilliant/crap customer service and support?

4. Even though money is not such an issue, is there one which is good/bad value for money?

I think that this should do to begin with and must apologies for the length of this post, but thought I should put as much information in as possible.

I wait with baited breath for your knowledge and leadership and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tristan
post #649 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by botzos View Post

To which 2 receivers you are refering to?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was responding to the query by botzos about upgrading from a 6200 to a 6004 and the possible issues with driving 4 ohm front speakers. (i.e. it shouldn't be a problem if the 6400 is working correctly; barring the "pop of death" syndrome, of course.)

Selden

post #650 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

paul, pleasure to speak with a few weeks ago and merry xmas in advance.

quick one - were you able to perform or confirm the results of an autopsy on my dead 6004s?

Hi Winston - Have you had any more information yet about your Pops of death?
post #651 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Yes, I am sure. If you set center and/or surrounds to "off" in speaker settings, Marantz quietly enables dynamic range compression.

Apparently they use Dolby Digital decoder for downmixing, and it automatically enables DRC to avoid clipping when downmixing. I have found some posts suggesting that other receivers might do this.

On the other hand, I have used an older Yamaha RX-V800 and RX-V3900 with the exact same setup and they didn't have this problem.

I found it hard to believe too, but in addition to testing this extensively I do have measurements (directly from line outputs) to show that it does compress - and Marantz service has confirmed this.

re. speakers, subs and settings: I have a fairly capable SVS subwoofer with Anti-Mode 8033 for room correction, active servo speakers with built-in room correction as mains and all speakers set to small. I don't have any problems with DTS or PCM tracks (or Dolby Digital, if I decode in the player and feed multichannel PCM to my receiver). My pity of neighbors starts limiting output before my equipment does.

Ah ok so this problem is only ac3 related, as i hardly ever listen to ac3 source's this can be the reason why i never heard it.

So your point is when u listen to ac3 sources u may have a compressed output, and only when u let the receiver do the ac3 decoding. So in a fact this makes it in my set-up a non issue.

I have had bad experiences with my center speaker as i cannot place it correctly. So in a fact it sounded way wurse with a center speaker. In a perfect set-up, if u manage to place the center speaker correctly in the middle and on the correct height and also manage to give it some free space around it, it can be very nice.
post #652 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM

Entertainman wrote ; "I will rave about the Marantz Audio Expander. I personally can't live without it. To be able to play mp3s at near CD-quality sound is a boon for me. I absolutely love how filled out the sound is. Like most, my music library is largely mp3s so I wanted a receiver that would make them sound better."

I am currently playing around with a Rhapsody 14 day trial and so far I am impressed. I have an older Marantz as I believe you said you came from, (mine is a 7400) and the Rhapsody bitstream is sent to the receiver via optical out from a Turtle Bay soundcard.

I frequent this thread to see what if anything the newer 6400 offers that could induce me to upgrade. The M-dax function you enjoy raises a couple of questions. Is that just another matrix sound mixer or does it do something special with mp3s. Would it also work on the digital in Rhapsody signal I am sending?

Frankly that signal is so good to my ears, that I just play it source-direct. Maybe mp3s need some enhancement that Rhapsody does not require? I am just beginning to realize that streaming audio (and video) has a place in a good system. A VERY pleasant surprise.
post #653 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm away from home for a couple of weeks, and did not have time to "properly" test the 6004 in multichannel movie decoding...

Question:
I have a 7.1 speaker configuration with 2 side and 2 back surrounds.
I seem to remember that the back surround speakers did not get any signal when 5.1 sources were played, only when 7.1 or some DSP mode was enabled?

Is there a mode (that can be used with source direct or 7.1 analog in) that simply copies the signal that is sent to the side surround speakers (in 5.1) to the back surround speakers?
Or did Marantz forget about that (sounds unlikely as 90+ % still are 5.1)?

/Sören
post #654 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM

I live in Europe and have been drooling over my first (future) AVR.
At the moment i am quite tempted to get the sr6004 regardless of the yet to be identified problems with this specific receiver model.
I suppose i could try to find sr6003 if i wanted to play safe, but i rather have 4 hdmi inputs than 3
PS3 and a laptop will be my main sources of material.
I need to get some kind of speakers too so i feel a bit uneasy to use over 1000 euros ;P
but i suppose it will be only a matter of time until ill place my order.
post #655 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren View Post

I'm away from home for a couple of weeks, and did not have time to "properly" test the 6004 in multichannel movie decoding...

Question:
I have a 7.1 speaker configuration with 2 side and 2 back surrounds.
I seem to remember that the back surround speakers did not get any signal when 5.1 sources were played, only when 7.1 or some DSP mode was enabled?

Is there a mode (that can be used with source direct or 7.1 analog in) that simply copies the signal that is sent to the side surround speakers (in 5.1) to the back surround speakers?

No, it will not overly any additional surround processing over the analog inputs. It can overlay additional processing over PCM 5.1 (and below) using HDMI.

The only solution would be to use Y-adaptor cables into both surround channel inputs (and doing proper level matching).
post #656 of 1706 Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewmer View Post

Entertainman wrote ; "I will rave about the Marantz Audio Expander. I personally can't live without it. To be able to play mp3s at near CD-quality sound is a boon for me. I absolutely love how filled out the sound is. Like most, my music library is largely mp3s so I wanted a receiver that would make them sound better."

I am currently playing around with a Rhapsody 14 day trial and so far I am impressed. I have an older Marantz as I believe you said you came from, (mine is a 7400) and the Rhapsody bitstream is sent to the receiver via optical out from a Turtle Bay soundcard.

I frequent this thread to see what if anything the newer 6400 offers that could induce me to upgrade. The M-dax function you enjoy raises a couple of questions. Is that just another matrix sound mixer or does it do something special with mp3s. Would it also work on the digital in Rhapsody signal I am sending?

Frankly that signal is so good to my ears, that I just play it source-direct. Maybe mp3s need some enhancement that Rhapsody does not require? I am just beginning to realize that streaming audio (and video) has a place in a good system. A VERY pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, I'm somewhat a novice to many of these audio technologies and I think there are a few more seasoned veterans on this board who could answer exactly what the M-Dax function does from a technical perspective. I also haven't had much exposure to Rhapsody but I've heard that the bit rate is around 128kps which is the same/similar to most mp3s.

I had an old technics receiver prior to this so I couldn't say if the processing of digital media is better with this generation of Marantz receivers. My previous set-up had an airport express streaming music to my receiver through analog cables. I was never totally impressed with the sound because it seemed flat, particularly in the mid-range. I also had issues with my powered sub working correctly with the technics - they hated each other. Fortunately, my towers covered enough of the audible frequency range for me to get a good sense of how good the quality was across.

I think the M-Dax (when set to High) does an amazing job of "filling in" the flatness that I experienced before. I've tried this via USB to iPhone (best quality) and through the included RX-101 receiver streaming bluetooth through my Orb Media connected iPhone which subsequently pulls from my library off my Mac (which itself is beyond the bluetooth range).

I haven't had a whole lot of time with the Bluetooth functionality but I will say that it sounds slightly worse on some material vs a usb connected device. However, in either case, m-dax seems to work very well and brings out the most with compressed media.

I would be interested to see what others think of this functionality and if it is significantly improved from previous generations.
post #657 of 1706 Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Now I tryed to put a cheap centerspeaker to SR 6004 - but I dont think I can hear a deaper bass in my front speaker?
I try with my Panasonic Recorder dvd play DTS "Eagles from Melbounre" as source
post #658 of 1706 Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Now I tryed to put a cheap centerspeaker to SR 6004 - but I dont think I can hear a deaper bass in my front speaker?
I try with my Panasonic Recorder dvd play DTS "Eagles from Melbounre" as source

I have tried the same to be sure , adding a center has had no effect on dynamics or bass extension on any source, yes the center channel is louder in my case as i used a cheap center speaker which sounded like crap. Off axis sitting it had an advantage as even when i do not sit in the sweet spot the dialog comes form dead center. But when i sit in the sweet spot it sounded like crap, mostly because i couldn't place the center anywhere good at my plasma.

Even at ac3 i didn't hear a difference , but this could be because my popcorn hour c200 specifically let's me switch on or off the ac3 dynamic compression.

Any way's until i find out a way to place a center in a cabinet at a spot just below my plasma, i am happy to leave the center out for now.
post #659 of 1706 Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM

On the pop of death issue i am really interested in the repair report u will get when it is repaired by marantz, this may share some light on why this is happening to some.
post #660 of 1706 Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soren View Post

ProLogic IIx expands 5.1 digital sources to 7.1.
It can't do it for the HighDefinition lossless formats, though, so for those you have to convert them to LPCM in the BD player. It works fine for PCM formats and the lossy DD and DDS audio formats.

Quote:

The whole point of "source direct" is that the audio signal is passed straight through to the amplifiers with no manipulation, so selecting that mode prevents the use of PLIIx.

I don't know of any receivers or pre/pros which expand 5.1 analog to 7.1 using only analog circuitry. Does anyone? Those inputs would all have to be digitized so the receiver's DSP could process them. Six more high quality ADCs would add significantly to the cost of the unit, of course. (I'm assuming two would be shared with the existing stereo inputs.)

An all-digital pre/pro or receiver like the Pioneer SC27 should(*) be able to do it, of course. Its only analog circuitry is what's used to filter the output of its digital amps into analog signals compatible with speakers. Somehow I doubt Marantz would ever produce a class D system like that.
____
* - That's a "should" not a "can" Careful reading of the SC27 manual reveals on page 51
Quote:

Note
1 • When playback from the multichannel inputs is selected, only the volume and channel levels can be set.
• You can’t listen to your speaker B system during playback from the multichannel inputs.
• With MULTI CH IN inputs, it is possible to play pictures simultaneously. For details, see Multi Channel Input Setup on page 128.

Selden

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6004 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page