Marantz SR6004/SR5004 Owners' Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1706 Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Newbie
 
sbingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Any electrical engineers or technicians have a theory as to what might be causing these issues? is the popping noise indicative of something in the output stage?



Well, I thought I might muddy the water just a bit....I am not an audio amplifier designer but I do work in the field of consumer electronics (PC's) and, without trying to bore anyone, I thought I might look at this from another angle.specifically the EMC angle. This will be a lengthy discussion but it may also be a relevant one. I know some of you know what EMC isothers may not so, in brief, electromagnetic compatibility is the ability of an electronic device to comply with emissions and immunity standards involving electronic phenomena in the US, only radiated emissions (rf energy radiating from the enclosure) and conducted emissions (rf energy conducted out of the device through the power cord) compliance is required. Rf immunity is not required in the US (as it is in the rest of the world) and when talk of the SR6004 in the US having a different power supply than that of the rest of the world, I started thinking about the possibility of Winston's experiences..it would not be out of the question for Winston (or even one of his neighbors) to have some device hooked up to the local electrical system that was conducting nasty rf energy into the electrical system..there isn't a red flag for this occurrence other than a susceptible device being affected. Since it appears there are SR6004 failures outside the US, I don't think it can be so easily pigeon holed to a cheaper power supply for the US versions (cheaper in that components used for a globally marketed power supply would not need to be used, due to the lack of rf immunity requirements in the US).

Let us also be aware that power supplies today are smarter than those of the past.in that they have often have microprocessors that monitor current/voltage/temperature and respond in certain ways when certain conditions are met..they may also respond in unexpected ways when unexpected transient rf conditions are encountered. I can give you one brief example of a large server I was involved in testing recently.the test stimulus was identical to that of what any consumer electronics device would encounter if it were to be marketed and sold globally - and for this test called Electrical Fast Transients (EFT for short) the stimulus was a 1kV 5kHz voltage burst imposed upon the line voltage. I know this sounds extreme but it is fairly standard - most power supplies are designed to be immune from such transients..in this case the server shut down (in a bad way) every time the stimulus was applied, as the smarts of the control circuitry responded in an unanticipated way and thus sent the power supply in to illegal state land. A brief design review and a few additional components later and everything was fine. Be it known, all of this testing only uses certain standard voltage/frequency transient combinations and are supposed to be somewhat representative of what might be experienced in the field..but you can't possibly cover every possibility.

That being said, lets assume that the SR6004 power supply, while passing all regulatory requirements, still has a design weakness (I won't call it a flaw at this point)..and as such, in certain electrical environments (be they radiated or conducted, although I believe conducted would be more likely in this situation), when all the conditions are met, the control circuitry shuts the unit down in an unanticipated way..a way for which there is no user option for reset. Lets also assume the window for this weakness is very small..so perhaps only a small percentage of units sold will experience this anomaly - if this unit is repaired to the same condition as new and then placed back in the same circumstance, those who exploited the weakness very well (Winston) will undoubtedly experience it again. Those who were on the edge of exploiting the weakness may have the POD occurrence only onceor never.or 5 years after purchase.

I guess my point is Marantz makes great amps but they are subject to market pressures like everyone else..design in one country, assembly in another and emc testing by a third party in yet another countryand quality emc testing is not always given a high priority - another example - I needed to acquire an AVR for testing with a new PC that contained a 7.1 audio output and the output needed to be exercised - so off to Soundtrack or Ultimate Electronics (whatever it was at the time) and I bought a $450 namebrand AVR (five letters, starts with a D) that had the requisite inputs..when this unit was tested for radiated emissions (along with our PC) in our chamber it failed the Class B limit by 17dB (that's pretty bad, BTW)!!! To adequately test our PC (also Class B), we needed all other devices to be Class B compliant - so back to the store for an exchange. I didn't bother with another D**** product, as time and time again I have seen certain mfr's place emc as a high priority across all lines and others don't - and I didn't want to waste my time - so I got a Pioneer for an additional $200 - this system passed the same test with 10dB of margin. The point of this example is that non compliant radiated or conducted disturbances either from a device in question or lack of immunity to these disturbances by that same device are pretty much invisible to the consumer - and just as an add-on my experience has shown many (if not most) computer products at your typical Best Buy are non-compliant to some degree - 99% of the time you just won't know it. I would expect the audio equipment world to be close behind and directly proportional to cost.

All that being said, I have no answersI just wanted to think outside the box. I expect when Marantz is done with the finger pointing (this is usually the first step when design and manufacturing and testing all occur in different places coupled with potentially poor outsourced customer service that doesn't get fed back to people that can actually do something about these problems), that they will be busily trying to duplicate these occurrences in emc/powerline/thermal testing - as to whether they actually do anything about it will probably come down to the # of field failures vs. the number of units sold - (and if they can duplicate the failure) and I suspect we don't have access to either of these numbers. If any of you are still awake after reading this, I hope I don't sound too jaded or pessimistic - I believe Marantz is still a good company and I wouldn't care enough to write all this if I wasn't interested in buying one.

Please comment if any of this is unclear - Steve
sbingh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
two more pops of death reported on the failure thread - one in sweden and one i australia. failure rate up to 43%
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17837660
winston9332 is offline  
post #723 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Newbie
 
RickSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbingh View Post

Hi all...happy new year to all....new poster here (but visited here many times in the past).....

Since deciding to get the SR6004 a few days ago I stumbled across this thread....I have been reading all 20-odd riveting pages over the last couple days hoping there would be a positive outcome regarding the POD.....it appears waiting is now in order....I think I can now say I would have to see both a) acknowledgment from Marantz of the issue and obviously a fix and b) some way of identifying units that have the fix (presumably serial number, post-POD fix)......but I really want to upgrade ASAP, so I'm looking into alternatives on the off-chance this isn't resolved appropriately and in a timely fashion.....my condolences to all of you that have suffered so...especially Winston.....I seriously cannot even imagine the additional stress that is added to ones life by knowing that at any time your $1k+ receiver is going to blow....one ought to at least be able to depend on your AVR working tirelessly on a daily basis without crapping out.....but I digress....

So here's my question (assuming I get the SR6004): I have a 5.1 set-up and I want to retain it pretty much as is except for loosing the Yamaha RX-V730 receiver that I have never really cared for.....and I want to bi-amp the front L/R speakers with the extra 2 amps on the SR6004. Has anyone on this forum tried this with this receiver? From the manual it appears you do the "switch C" thing and I assume you then either set it for 5.1 during initial set-up or it knows your intentions already by the "switch C" thing. Is this all it takes other than running the extra wires to bi-amp-able speakers? Will I gain anything? Will I lose anything? Using JBL ti5000 L/R, JBL SVA center and JBL (again) 4206's for surrounds......homebrew 12 inch sub....and probably get the oppo BR player (or equiv) at the same time....I am most interested in decent 2 channel and multi channel sound quality, followed by DVD/bluray movie watching (if there's more info I need to divulge to properly address this inquiry, please advise...).

Thanks much in advance for the help and/or advice....- Steve

Hi, Steve

I am using the SR5004 in a 2.0 bi-amp configuration, with two bookshelf speakers Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.

Yes, all it takes is to switch speaker C to ON and run the extra wires. The receiver automatically assumes that you will not use surrond back speakers. And run speaker setup (and Audyssey) only after the bi-amp wires are connected.

Treble performance tends to be less affected when bass, which is more power-hungry, draws a high current. Make sure that all the cables are the same length and that you use, if this is the case, the same banana clips for all connections.

Rick
RickSP is offline  
post #724 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
sbingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSP View Post

Hi, Steve

I am using the SR5004 in a 2.0 bi-amp configuration, with two bookshelf speakers Wharfedale Diamond 9.1.

Yes, all it takes is to switch speaker C to ON and run the extra wires. The receiver automatically assumes that you will not use surrond back speakers. And run speaker setup (and Audyssey) only after the bi-amp wires are connected.

Treble performance tends to be less affected when bass, which is more power-hungry, draws a high current. Make sure that all the cables are the same length and that you use, if this is the case, the same banana clips for all connections.

Rick

Thanks Rick.....I expected most folks here were not bi-amping, choosing the 7.1 route instead.....nice to hear the bi-amp route works and works well - seems bi-amping would be a no-brainer for me if I'm happy with 5.1...which I am. As I am mostly interested in music listening and 2 channel at that, the consensus here seems to be Marantz is the way to go - sure wish they would address the field failures tho.....I started looking at the Denon 3310 which also allows bi-amping (maybe all the new ones do?) plus it has an ethernet port which is nice - guess I'll have to go look/listen at/to it (but I would have bought the SR6004 blind, on rep alone).

Thanks again - Steve
sbingh is offline  
post #725 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
another swedish pop of death just reported...
winston9332 is offline  
post #726 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Member
 
entertainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't forget the post before the sweden one. That's two that were reported today.
entertainman is offline  
post #727 of 1706 Old 01-03-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by entertainman View Post

Don't forget the post before the sweden one. That's two that were reported today.

and the first poster had two die on him! so, three in total!
winston9332 is offline  
post #728 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Newbie
 
litchblade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbingh View Post

Thanks Rick.....I expected most folks here were not bi-amping, choosing the 7.1 route instead.....nice to hear the bi-amp route works and works well - seems bi-amping would be a no-brainer for me if I'm happy with 5.1...which I am. As I am mostly interested in music listening and 2 channel at that, the consensus here seems to be Marantz is the way to go - sure wish they would address the field failures tho.....I started looking at the Denon 3310 which also allows bi-amping (maybe all the new ones do?) plus it has an ethernet port which is nice - guess I'll have to go look/listen at/to it (but I would have bought the SR6004 blind, on rep alone).

Thanks again - Steve

Mine used Bi-Amping and died.

litchblade is offline  
post #729 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by litchblade View Post

Mine used Bi-Amping and died.


fyi, i am going to try to track dead and working units by serial number to see if some trend appears: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17593890

If you want, please post your serial number on either thread and I will update the post for working and non-working units.
winston9332 is offline  
post #730 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a loose theory that the Pop of Death seems to affect lower-numbered units.

Most unaffected units have a serial number like so:

MZ000937000XXX or MZ000934000XXX

The Pop of Death Units appear to have lower serial numbers like

MZ000930000XXX

Anyone else confirm a Pop of Death unit with a higher serial number (ieMZ000937000XXX or MZ000934000XXX)?
winston9332 is offline  
post #731 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That's what the repair center told me: first units sold could have the problem, newer units are modified as to avoid it.
lapino is offline  
post #732 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

That's what the repair center told me: first units sold could have the problem, newer units are modified as to avoid it.

it would be helpful if marantz just came out and said:
1. we have identified a design weakness affecting some units with a serial number from x to y.
2. if you have a potentially effected unit, please send it to your local service center for a repair.
winston9332 is offline  
post #733 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Member
 
jacksoncychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
mine is MZ000940000826
jacksoncychu is offline  
post #734 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Member
 
elenaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, been reading this since the beginning. Just got my 5004 over christmas and am having a strange handshake problem with it.

I have a TiVo Series 3, HTPC, and Oppo DVD player all hooked up over HDMI. The HTPC & Oppo seem to play without any problem. However, with the TiVo, it will work fine for the first 30 min or so until it gets warmed up, then I'll get messages flashing "HDMI not permitted" and the sys menu says HDCP failed. Before I got the 5004, I just had the TiVo hooked directly up to my TV via HDMI and never had any handshake problems.

What's really strange is that if I use Component cables to connect the TiVo to the 5004 instead of HDMI (TiVo->component->5004->HDMI->TV), I still have problems. The screen constantly flashes on and off.

I've tried replacing all HDMI cables with brand new ones from monoprice to no avail

Are any other 5004 owners using a TiVo? Any advice on what I should do? Should I call up Crutchfield (where it was purchased) and inquire about a replacement?


fyi, my serial is MZ000935000XXX
elenaran is offline  
post #735 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran View Post

Hi, been reading this since the beginning. Just got my 5004 over christmas and am having a strange handshake problem with it.

I have a TiVo Series 3, HTPC, and Oppo DVD player all hooked up over HDMI. The HTPC & Oppo seem to play without any problem. However, with the TiVo, it will work fine for the first 30 min or so until it gets warmed up, then I'll get messages flashing "HDMI not permitted" and the sys menu says HDCP failed. Before I got the 5004, I just had the TiVo hooked directly up to my TV via HDMI and never had any handshake problems.

What's really strange is that if I use Component cables to connect the TiVo to the 5004 instead of HDMI (TiVo->component->5004->HDMI->TV), I still have problems. The screen constantly flashes on and off.

I've tried replacing all HDMI cables with brand new ones from monoprice to no avail

Are any other 5004 owners using a TiVo? Any advice on what I should do? Should I call up Crutchfield (where it was purchased) and inquire about a replacement?


fyi, my serial is MZ000935000XXX

does the tivo have some hdmi cec feature? can you try turning that off? the fact that it impacts both component and hdmi makes me think it might be a faulty tivo. does it have the same issue if you connect it directly to the display and connect only an optical to the receiver?
winston9332 is offline  
post #736 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Member
 
elenaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both direct TiVo->HDMI->TV and TiVo->Component->TV (optical audio to 5004) display fine, but I don't want to have multiple connections to my TV so that's not a permanent solution

As for CEC - I've never seen that setting anywhere, so I don't think the TiVo has it.

Also, what makes me think it's the receiver, not the TiVo is that the problems don't occur until the receiver has warmed up.
elenaran is offline  
post #737 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran View Post

Both direct TiVo->HDMI->TV and TiVo->Component->TV (optical audio to 5004) display fine, but I don't want to have multiple connections to my TV so that's not a permanent solution

As for CEC - I've never seen that setting anywhere, so I don't think the TiVo has it.

if the connection to the tv survives the same 30 minute warmup period, than it does sound like the marantz is introducing the problem. what i can't figure out is why it occurs after 30 minutes and not initially.
winston9332 is offline  
post #738 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Another US 5004 just suffered the pop of death!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17848658
winston9332 is offline  
post #739 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Member
 
jacksoncychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

it would be helpful if marantz just came out and said:
1. we have identified a design weakness affecting some units with a serial number from x to y.
2. if you have a potentially effected unit, please send it to your local service center for a repair.

I think "somebody" should post how to press the buttons to reset the protection mode so that all the owners can use it again instead of sending it back. Of course, it is not a perfect solution as we paid for a good equipment from a reputable company, we do not deserve it!!! But it should be a temporary solution until they can get it resolved some day.
jacksoncychu is offline  
post #740 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Member
 
jacksoncychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

if the connection to the tv survives the same 30 minute warmup period, than it does sound like the marantz is introducing the problem. what i can't figure out is why it occurs after 30 minutes and not initially.

Similar situation as mine. It occurs in about 30 minutes. TV --> coaxial---> 5004 ---Dolby Digital mode. I have the same connection and played a few days without problem before.
jacksoncychu is offline  
post #741 of 1706 Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Member
 
jacksoncychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbingh View Post

Well, I thought I might muddy the water just a bit....I am not an audio amplifier designer but I do work in the field of consumer electronics (PC's) and, without trying to bore anyone, I thought I might look at this from another angle.specifically the EMC angle. This will be a lengthy discussion but it may also be a relevant one. I know some of you know what EMC isothers may not so, in brief, electromagnetic compatibility is the ability of an electronic device to comply with emissions and immunity standards involving electronic phenomena in the US, only radiated emissions (rf energy radiating from the enclosure) and conducted emissions (rf energy conducted out of the device through the power cord) compliance is required. Rf immunity is not required in the US (as it is in the rest of the world) and when talk of the SR6004 in the US having a different power supply than that of the rest of the world, I started thinking about the possibility of Winston's experiences..it would not be out of the question for Winston (or even one of his neighbors) to have some device hooked up to the local electrical system that was conducting nasty rf energy into the electrical system..there isn't a red flag for this occurrence other than a susceptible device being affected. Since it appears there are SR6004 failures outside the US, I don't think it can be so easily pigeon holed to a cheaper power supply for the US versions (cheaper in that components used for a globally marketed power supply would not need to be used, due to the lack of rf immunity requirements in the US).

Let us also be aware that power supplies today are smarter than those of the past.in that they have often have microprocessors that monitor current/voltage/temperature and respond in certain ways when certain conditions are met..they may also respond in unexpected ways when unexpected transient rf conditions are encountered. I can give you one brief example of a large server I was involved in testing recently.the test stimulus was identical to that of what any consumer electronics device would encounter if it were to be marketed and sold globally - and for this test called Electrical Fast Transients (EFT for short) the stimulus was a 1kV 5kHz voltage burst imposed upon the line voltage. I know this sounds extreme but it is fairly standard - most power supplies are designed to be immune from such transients..in this case the server shut down (in a bad way) every time the stimulus was applied, as the smarts of the control circuitry responded in an unanticipated way and thus sent the power supply in to illegal state land. A brief design review and a few additional components later and everything was fine. Be it known, all of this testing only uses certain standard voltage/frequency transient combinations and are supposed to be somewhat representative of what might be experienced in the field..but you can't possibly cover every possibility.

That being said, lets assume that the SR6004 power supply, while passing all regulatory requirements, still has a design weakness (I won't call it a flaw at this point)..and as such, in certain electrical environments (be they radiated or conducted, although I believe conducted would be more likely in this situation), when all the conditions are met, the control circuitry shuts the unit down in an unanticipated way..a way for which there is no user option for reset. Lets also assume the window for this weakness is very small..so perhaps only a small percentage of units sold will experience this anomaly - if this unit is repaired to the same condition as new and then placed back in the same circumstance, those who exploited the weakness very well (Winston) will undoubtedly experience it again. Those who were on the edge of exploiting the weakness may have the POD occurrence only onceor never.or 5 years after purchase.

I guess my point is Marantz makes great amps but they are subject to market pressures like everyone else..design in one country, assembly in another and emc testing by a third party in yet another countryand quality emc testing is not always given a high priority - another example - I needed to acquire an AVR for testing with a new PC that contained a 7.1 audio output and the output needed to be exercised - so off to Soundtrack or Ultimate Electronics (whatever it was at the time) and I bought a $450 namebrand AVR (five letters, starts with a D) that had the requisite inputs..when this unit was tested for radiated emissions (along with our PC) in our chamber it failed the Class B limit by 17dB (that's pretty bad, BTW)!!! To adequately test our PC (also Class B), we needed all other devices to be Class B compliant - so back to the store for an exchange. I didn't bother with another D**** product, as time and time again I have seen certain mfr's place emc as a high priority across all lines and others don't - and I didn't want to waste my time - so I got a Pioneer for an additional $200 - this system passed the same test with 10dB of margin. The point of this example is that non compliant radiated or conducted disturbances either from a device in question or lack of immunity to these disturbances by that same device are pretty much invisible to the consumer - and just as an add-on my experience has shown many (if not most) computer products at your typical Best Buy are non-compliant to some degree - 99% of the time you just won't know it. I would expect the audio equipment world to be close behind and directly proportional to cost.

All that being said, I have no answersI just wanted to think outside the box. I expect when Marantz is done with the finger pointing (this is usually the first step when design and manufacturing and testing all occur in different places coupled with potentially poor outsourced customer service that doesn't get fed back to people that can actually do something about these problems), that they will be busily trying to duplicate these occurrences in emc/powerline/thermal testing - as to whether they actually do anything about it will probably come down to the # of field failures vs. the number of units sold - (and if they can duplicate the failure) and I suspect we don't have access to either of these numbers. If any of you are still awake after reading this, I hope I don't sound too jaded or pessimistic - I believe Marantz is still a good company and I wouldn't care enough to write all this if I wasn't interested in buying one.

Please comment if any of this is unclear - Steve

Do you mean if we use those "surge protected" AC socket can prevent this from happening again? Or, any other suggestion that you might have?
jacksoncychu is offline  
post #742 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Newbie
 
excer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

Maybe i´m a little bit out of main topic but anyway..I have my PS3 connected to SR 6004 with HDMI BETTERCABLE 2m and from output HDMI to EPSON projector TW 3500 / US brand -EPSON 8100/ with BETTERCABLE amplified 12m..I have problem with handshake --picture is droping out sometimes immediately sometimes about after 10-15sec..First question is ,if You experienced with similar problem ..because cables are ,i think very good in quality and I have no problem with 1080p droping when connected projector directly to PS3. So could it be SR6004 responsible for attenuation of signal on the HDMI1 or HDMI2 outputs which can´t be amplified neither with connected amplifier of that bettercable ? Second question..if i dont solve this problem , another solution would be to connect PS3 via optical to SR 6004 and via HDMI to Projector and this is combination i´m afraid because of Winston´s experience../ i´ve heard about such kind of incompatibilty with PS3 slim - hxxp://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4061971 -but I dont have any blueray player or HDD player to try it with now.. and my setopbox of local digital TV I suppose is broadcasting in 1080i and it´s without handshaking problem.. Thank You very much for Your ideas..

P.S..I will post my serial number tomorrow..im out of home and very curious if my SR 6004 is in the range of " front line for killing "
excer is offline  
post #743 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Newbie
 
RickSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncychu View Post

I think "somebody" should post how to press the buttons to reset the protection mode so that all the owners can use it again instead of sending it back. Of course, it is not a perfect solution as we paid for a good equipment from a reputable company, we do not deserve it!!! But it should be a temporary solution until they can get it resolved some day.

Page 82 of the manual teaches how to reset the unit:

Should the operation or display seem to be abnormal,
reset the unit with the following procedure.
This unit is turned on, press and hold the SURR.
MODE + CLEAR buttons simultaneously for 3
seconds or more.
Remember that the procedure will reset the settings
of the function selector, Surround mode, delay time,
TUNER PRESET etc., to their initial settings.


Those who had the POD issue may try to see whether it fixes, though temporarily, the problem.

Rick
RickSP is offline  
post #744 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by excer View Post

Hello

Maybe i´m a little bit out of main topic but anyway..I have my PS3 connected to SR 6004 with HDMI BETTERCABLE 2m and from output HDMI to EPSON projector TW 3500 / US brand -EPSON 8100/ with BETTERCABLE amplified 12m..I have problem with handshake --picture is droping out sometimes immediately sometimes about after 10-15sec..First question is ,if You experienced with similar problem ..because cables are ,i think very good in quality and I have no problem with 1080p droping when connected projector directly to PS3. So could it be SR6004 responsible for attenuation of signal on the HDMI1 or HDMI2 outputs which can´t be amplified neither with connected amplifier of that bettercable ? Second question..if i dont solve this problem , another solution would be to connect PS3 via optical to SR 6004 and via HDMI to Projector and this is combination i´m afraid because of Winston´s experience../ i´ve heard about such kind of incompatibilty with PS3 slim - hxxp://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=4061971 -but I dont have any blueray player or HDD player to try it with now.. and my setopbox of local digital TV I suppose is broadcasting in 1080i and it´s without handshaking problem.. Thank You very much for Your ideas..

P.S..I will post my serial number tomorrow..im out of home and very curious if my SR 6004 is in the range of " front line for killing "

I have a somewhat similar problem (had) with my Optoma HD20. This is not SR6004 related, so you should post this in the HD20 forum. It's just a fact that certain devices put out a stronger hdmi signal (xbox) than others (ps3) which are kinda weak. The only solution to this is to amplify the HDMI signal at the RECEIVING (!) end.
lapino is offline  
post #745 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSP View Post

Page 82 of the manual teaches how to reset the unit:

Should the operation or display seem to be abnormal,
reset the unit with the following procedure.
This unit is turned on, press and hold the SURR.
MODE + CLEAR buttons simultaneously for 3
seconds or more.
Remember that the procedure will reset the settings
of the function selector, Surround mode, delay time,
TUNER PRESET etc., to their initial settings.


Those who had the POD issue may try to see whether it fixes, though temporarily, the problem.

Rick


Rick,

Rick,

Tried it - does not work to resurrect a POD. POD units are permanently in protect mode and need to be reset internally i believe.
winston9332 is offline  
post #746 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Newbie
 
sbingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncychu View Post

Do you mean if we use those "surge protected" AC socket can prevent this from happening again? Or, any other suggestion that you might have?

yes and no........the problem is real line filtering/conditioning costs money....your average surge protector from best buy (even if you spend $50 to $100) isn't really buying you much more than a false sense of security and maybe protection from a lightning strike or two. If you go into any recording studio you will note there are always power conditioners/filters that are way more elaborate and expensive than a cheapo surge protected power strip. A unit such as this:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...ort_Review.htm

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=100639

low end as it is, still runs over $500. The US has the best power in the world but that doesn't negate the fact that you or your neighbor might be putting something really nasty back on the ac line and you may have the pleasure of experiencing it first hand.

Realistically tho, I personally I use the same general power strips everyone uses (not the really cheap ones but a $50ish one)....and that is really all you should have to use in the US.

here's more snoozer material: http://digitalcontentproducer.com/mag/avinstall_power/

No one really knows what the SR6004 deal is yet....it could be a weakness in it's emi immunity...or it could be a batch of bad caps from a cheap vendor (these are made in China after all)....or just plain bad engineering (although I doubt this last one). I expect there is some frantic testing going on at this very moment at Marantz.....especially if they instituted a ship-hold on this product...which they certainly should have....

Anyway...not clainming to have any answers......just trying to make folks aware of the power fairies...


and now I'm looking at the Onkyo TX NR1007....looks pretty sweet...
sbingh is offline  
post #747 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
vesipisara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apartment is part of a building that has a car repair shop and they have quite a few lifts etc that use big 3 phase electric motors and smaller tools too but anyway on occasion i do notice lights getting slightly dimmer but other than that i have never had any issues on electronic devices breaking down here for the past 8 years that i have lived here.
vesipisara is offline  
post #748 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
gravy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
found this on a german forum.
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-46-29145-5.html


Sehr geehrter Herr Koch,



das von Fall zu Fall auftretende Problem scheint nach meinen Informationen gefunden, sodass begründet die Annahme besteht, dass sie Ihr Gerät in kürze wiederbekommen und es danach nicht mehr ausfallen sollte.

Bitte warten Sie dann den Servicebericht ab, eine Reparatur in der Stromversorgung des HDMI Boards wird aber vermutlich die Lösung bringen. Es handelt sich aber nicht um ein grundsätzliches Problem, es hängt mit den Rahmenbedingungen, der jeweiligen individuellen Anwendung etc. zusammen.



Nach der erfolgreichen Reparatur haben sie hoffentlich bald ungeteilte Freude mit Ihrem Receiver.





Sollten Sie weitere Fragen haben wenden Sie sich gerne an uns.

Viel Vergnügen mit Ihren Marantz-Produkten!



mit freundlichen Grüßen



Heiko Panzer

-Product Marketing Manager-

Marantz

Division of D&M Germany GmbH

Hakenbusch 3

D-49078 Osnabrück / Germany



Translation
Quote:


Dear Mr. Koch,



The problem that arises in each case found seems according to my information, so the reasons for believing that they recover your unit shortly thereafter, and it should no longer fail.

Please then wait for the service report a repair in the power of the HDMI board but will probably provide the solution. But it is not a fundamental problem, it is related to the context of each individual application, etc..



Following the successful repair, you should have joy with your receiver.





If you have any questions please contact us.

Have fun with your Marantz products!



Yours sincerely



Heiko Panzer

-Product Marketing Manager

Marantz

Division of D & M Germany GmbH

Hook Busch 3

D-49078 Osnabrück / Germany

gravy1 is offline  
post #749 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
RickSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, two different Marantz Services in Europe (Belgium and Germany) state that there is a problem in the power supply of the HDMI board...
RickSP is offline  
post #750 of 1706 Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Member
 
jacksoncychu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSP View Post

Well, two different Marantz Services in Europe (Belgium and Germany) state that there is a problem in the power supply of the HDMI board...

I saw the response from Germany on the above, do you have the one from Belgium?
jacksoncychu is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6004 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off