Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goemichel View Post

HDMI-Pass-Through works only if the Marantz ist switched ON.

What is the function of Pass-Through then when you have to switch it on? And which channel to choose if you want to Pass-Through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmpower View Post

What is the function of Pass-Through then when you have to switch it on?

Not to convert Video.

Quote:

And which channel to choose if you want to Pass-Through?

The one of the unit you want to pass...

Its all written down in the manual, which is available for free download at Marantz' Homepage...

Regards, Michael
post #1083 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goemichel View Post

Not to convert Video.

The one of the unit you want to pass...

Its all written down in the manual, which is available for free download at Marantz' Homepage...

Indeed, not to convert video but to pass-through video?! I thought is was possible to watch tv without putting the Marantz on (or maybe on stand-by)?

So in my case: tv decoder > marantz > tv. I have got to have tv signal without having the Marantz on? Because when the Marantz is on I have to set a input?
post #1084 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

Maybe the Marantz is upscaling the signal when it should not. Try goemichel's suggestion and connect the receiver to the TV via composite cable (the yellow RCA one). Check the Marantz menu and turn OFF the upscaling. The Panasonic will not be able to display the upscaled 1080p signal.

i do not believe the marantz can upscale digital sources - only composite or componment signals can be upscaled/upconverted to hdmi.

does the ps3 show audio and video when directly connected to the display?

are you sure you are outputting from the correct hdmi output? ie does the receiver think you're using the one you're not...
post #1085 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 AM

Liked: 11
i am not sure what the issue is but i had same exact issue with the blue ray and apple tv. I was told at the time to force output to 1080i on all devices including cable box etc. vs auto or anything else on all inputs. it does have handshake issues if it needs to keep changing the resolutions. Hope this helps.
post #1086 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 AM

I have no picture at all, only sound (both tv decoder and PS3). They work when directly put on the TV.

I have set all devices on 720p. They are connected to the Marantz (INPUT HDMI 1(BR) and 4 (VCR)). Then 1 HDMI from HDMI OUT 1 to my TV HDMI IN 1. Also tried HDMI OUT 2.

When I am at home I'll try to connect the Marantz with a yellow video cable from the MONITOR OUT to the tv. Maybe I can set the HDMI OUTPUT in the right way..
post #1087 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I chose the 6003 in large part as it's a better fit in respects of power and height for the bedroom i was opting for. the sound between the 6003 and 6004 is identical in normal 5.1 or 7.1 playback. it obviously lacks dolby pliiz and dynamic volume, but the basic sound is identical.

and who is the nimwit?

DirtyDeads was referring to me. He asked open questions about 6003 vs. 6004 and after someone answered, why 6004 instead of 7002. I suggested he check out the 7002 thread or compare the 6004/7002 manuals and he responded he had done that (manuals I think) and was trying to lighten up the thread.

At that point I asked what his research had turned up so far and could he ask a more specific question that would not entail a response he had already covered (in so many words). He saw this as churlish, which it was a bit, and assumed I was preoccupied with my troubled 6004 which I was not. Don't own a 6004 yet.

Anyways, I am glad he got some discussion going after providing a little more info on what he was looking for. When someone seems to want others to do their work, I am apt to point it out -- in so many words. Not always right, but if it makes me a nimwit, so be it.

Happy to clear that up.
post #1088 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 AM

try 1080i instead of 720p. i was getting black screen also but i was also not getting sound.

lewmar - for what its worth i don't think you are a nitwit
post #1089 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewmer View Post

DirtyDeads was referring to me. He asked open questions about 6003 vs. 6004 and after someone answered, why 6004 instead of 7002. I suggested he check out the 7002 thread or compare the 6004/7002 manuals and he responded he had done that (manuals I think) and was trying to lighten up the thread.

At that point I asked what his research had turned up so far and could he ask a more specific question that would not entail a response he had already covered (in so many words). He saw this as churlish, which it was a bit, and assumed I was preoccupied with my troubled 6004 which I was not. Don't own a 6004 yet.

Anyways, I am glad he got some discussion going after providing a little more info on what he was looking for. When someone seems to want others to do their work, I am apt to point it out -- in so many words. Not always right, but if it makes me a nimwit, so be it.

Happy to clear that up.

I apologize as I was riled up for nothing.
post #1090 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

new pop reported this morning in holland that was interesting in that no hdmi input or output was involved: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18027895

also interesting statistic per the poll on the POD thread is that you are now statistically more likely to have a POD within the first 30 days than not. This is the first time the PODs have overtaken the working units for the first 30 days.
post #1091 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

I apologize as I was riled up for nothing.

Not at all -- sorry to have upset you. Glad you got to some of your answers.
post #1092 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Not at all -- sorry to have upset you. Glad you got to some of your answers.

Thanks for your patience with me. I am a bit upset with this whole popping thing as it scares me to even think of purchasing an earlier model like the sr6003. Specially from a known quality company like Marantz. I did purchase a Pioneer Elite vsx21 thx but have to resell it as it was too bright for my taste and harsh on my ears. I have never owned Marantz and have never heard one. I have always loved the Denon sound and am actually sold on the 2310ci. But deep within me, I feel like I am cheating myself as I want a Marantz this time. I understand that the lineup is a bit behind in functionality but I know these are not the functions that I would miss. It's been a week that I am without a receiver in our media room as I have moved my old Denon to our game room. I am not as brave as some of those who have read the threads over here and still purchased an sr6004 and sadly have to deal with a dead receiver.
post #1093 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:

also interesting statistic per the poll on the POD thread is that you are now statistically more likely to have a POD within the first 30 days than not. This is the first time the PODs have overtaken the working units for the first 30 days.

That's because only PODs are reported lately. Units that work are nothing to report in a forum like this.
Nevertheless it is important to continue, winston!

Regards, Michael
post #1094 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM

hey all.

just ran home to check out my new rotel 1550 that replaced the bad 6004 today. running out for the night but someone earlier asked me to post what happens with my replacement and sound vs the marantz etc.

I either had a dud of the 6004 or the rotel is really much much better. the sound I am hearing from my 805s b&w is the better then i could have ever ever ever imagined. Again it is so much better that I am wondering if in fact there was more wrong with my 6004 then the pops. In any event just wanted to answer an earlier post asking for to compare them.

granted the rotel has NONE of the bells and features of the marantz but i decided i wanted the best sound and didnt care at all about the features and this delivers sound that crushes what i heard on the 6004. again maybe my marantz had more issues then the pops who knows.
post #1095 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your patience with me. I am a bit upset with this whole popping thing as it scares me to even think of purchasing an earlier model like the sr6003. Specially from a known quality company like Marantz. I did purchase a Pioneer Elite vsx21 thx but have to resell it as it was too bright for my taste and harsh on my ears. I have never owned Marantz and have never heard one. I have always loved the Denon sound and am actually sold on the 2310ci. But deep within me, I feel like I am cheating myself as I want a Marantz this time. I understand that the lineup is a bit behind in functionality but I know these are not the functions that I would miss. It's been a week that I am without a receiver in our media room as I have moved my old Denon to our game room. I am not as brave as some of those who have read the threads over here and still purchased an sr6004 and sadly have to deal with a dead receiver.

Completely understand your concerns here. I am somewhat in the same boat, but I have a 3 year old sr7004 still going strong and a 10+ year old sr780 working fine in the bedroom, so my quest is to find out why I should buy a new receiver at the point. That is how I came to be involved in this thread.

In the process, I learned there are a number of really knowledgable folks working here to sort out this POD issue. Between reading posts and getting some very helpful PM exchanges, I have been able to pick up a bit on recent receiver innovations as they relate to what I do (and may want to do) with my home theater.

I am no equipment guru. I know what I know based on the gear I have purchased and used which pretty much reduces to one of everthing I have. I am lucky in that the choices I made in 1999 and beyond when I put this together have stood the test of time and to great degree the original stuff is still in place.

I just got off the phone with Marantz customer service, the 201-762-6500 number. I was interested to see how that group sounded compared with 1999 when I first engaged them. Back then, the call center was in Chicago and I talked to them a lot -- to the point that I knew the manager by name and a couple of the reps. I could ask for them by name when I called in and they would get me the guy I wanted.

I was pleased today to find that the phone access was similarly friendly and appropriately personal. So I took advantage of that and badgered the fellow on the POD issue until he finally said "I don't mean to be abrupt (he wasn't) but what's the point". I had fully earned this comment by that time, so I wrapped up and got off the line. I guess we probably talked 10 minutes, maybe more.

The point of this is Marantz customer service seems every bit as eager to please and help as they were 10+ years ago. I doubt I could call back and ask for the same guy, but I did learn there only five people taking Marantz calls for the entire USA. I think there may have been as many or more back when.

So to your point, the POD conundrum aside, my sense is that the customer interface continues to be satisfactory and the product feedback from folks on this forum is familiar wrt sq and musicality from ten years ago. These two factors, along with two units that have performed perfectly over a combined 14 year period portends that my third receiver will likely be another Marantz.

In your case, as I understand it, you do not have the luxury of time that I enjoy in here. If it were me, I would probably find a way to build in that luxury by whatever manor or means it took. This POD issue is troublesome to say the least. I will report what I learned in my call (not much) in the following post. But I would not be the least concerned about buying a xxx3 series, or a 7xxx or 8xxx series receiver based on what I know as of right now. Hope this helps.
post #1096 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Call to Marantz customer service 3:30 pm cst Today:

Called the 201-762-6500 number and talked to a csr regarding the POD issue on models 5004/6004. Goal was to how much POD field info was flowing up and engineering/QC data coming down at this important customer interface. The answer based on this call -- next to none.

Told the guy I was considering a 6004 purchase and had run across a thread in AVS forum describing numerous shutdowns on the xxx4 series receivers. Asked if he had heard anything about it. Said he had a couple of calls like mine from prospective customers but nothing from an owner with a serial number. Asked if he had heard of any other csr getting such a call -- no. Asked how many people took calls of this sort -- five.

Asked if he had passed the other two calls prior to mine up the line -- no, second hand would not be reported. Asked if he mentioned his prior two calls to any of the other four csrs -- no. Had they mentioned to him anything like my call -- no. Asked him if he had any reports from the Marantz engineeering or QC -- no. If there were something of that nature he would have heard about it.

Advised me (courteous all the time) to have directly effected owners call with serial numbers. Said I thought this had been done and told him of Winston's famous four. He said that would have been sent forward to Japan where they would pull 200 machines off the line and tested them. If they checked out, the problem would be determined to be environmental. I asked him if he could pull up the info that might have been sent to Japan and he said not at his level.

Told him Winston acquired a 6003 and placed it in service where the 04s failed and it worked without issue and continues to do so. Told him the thread feeling is that the issue was introduced in the changes between xxx3 and xxx4. Told him some machines would reset with the 3 key sequence but none would reset with the published 2 key sequence. He said the three key sequence resets the microprocessor.

He advised me again to have owners call with serial numbers. I told him a guy just last week bought a 6004 at Lyric Audio on the East coast and the machine locked up before the installing technician got back to the store a mile or so away.

Told him the problem was several months old and did not seem to be getting any traction toward resolution. Said prospective Marantz buyers, some long time Marantz customers including me, were beginning to look to other brands.

Guy was unfailingly freindly and polite, but as he said here, he dd not want to sound abrupt -- and he really wasn't in view of the grilling he was getting -- but "what's the point?" I said exactly -- that is what others are coming to.

I thanked him for his time, and hung up. Wishing now I had asked him how long he had been in the job, but I feel certain, with a huge margin of error, that he was no newbie. I do not think he knew anything more than he described, (again margin of error). I think he performed in a manner that would not cause him any problem if a tape of our conversation were reviewed by his supervisor.

In retrospect, I believe that a similar conversaton back when I bought my first Marantz receiver (1999) would have elicited (at least) another move on his part after he got off the phone. He may have made that move today but somehow I doubt it. Whats the point?
post #1097 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I know nothing...

I admit nothing.....

Hogan's Heros
post #1098 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Called the 201-762-6500 number and talked to a csr regarding the POD issue on models 5004/6004. Goal was to how much POD field info was flowing up and engineering/QC data coming down at this important customer interface. The answer based on this call -- next to none.

Told the guy I was considering a 6004 purchase and had run across a thread in AVS forum describing numerous shutdowns on the xxx4 series receivers. Asked if he had heard anything about it. Said he had a couple of calls like mine from prospective customers but nothing from an owner with a serial number. Asked if he had heard of any other csr getting such a call -- no. Asked how many people took calls of this sort -- five.

Asked if he had passed the other two calls prior to mine up the line -- no, second hand would not be reported. Asked if he mentioned his prior two calls to any of the other four csrs -- no. Had they mentioned to him anything like my call -- no. Asked him if he had any reports from the Marantz engineeering or QC -- no. If there were something of that nature he would have heard about it.

Advised me (courteous all the time) to have directly effected owners call with serial numbers. Said I thought this had been done and told him of Winston's famous four. He said that would have been sent forward to Japan where they would pull 200 machines off the line and tested them. If they checked out, the problem would be determined to be environmental. I asked him if he could pull up the info that might have been sent to Japan and he said not at his level.

Told him Winston acquired a 6003 and placed it in service where the 04s failed and it worked without issue and continues to do so. Told him the thread feeling is that the issue was introduced in the changes between xxx3 and xxx4. Told him some machines would reset with the 3 key sequence but none would reset with the published 2 key sequence. He said the three key sequence resets the microprocessor.

He advised me again to have owners call with serial numbers. I told him a guy just last week bought a 6004 at Lyric Audio on the East cost and the machine locked up before the installing technician got back to the store a mile or so away.

Told him the problem was several months old and did not seem to be getting any traction toward resolution. Said prospective Marantz buyers, some long time Marantz customers including me, were beginning to look to other brands.

Guy was unfailingly freindly and polite, but as he said here, he dd not want to sound abrupt -- and he really wasn't in view of the grilling he was getting -- but "what's the point?" I said exactly -- that is what others are coming to.

I thanked him for his time, and hung up. Wishing now I had asked him how long he had been in the job, but I feel certain, with a huge margin of error, that he was no newbie. I do not think he knew anything more than he described, (again margin of error). I think he performed in a manner that would not cause him any problem if a tape of our conversation were reviewed by his supervisor.

In retrospect, I believe that a similar conversaton back when I bought my first Marantz receiver (1999) would have elicited (at least) another move on his part after he got off the phone. He may have made that move today but somehow I doubt it. Whats the point?

lewmer,

bit disappointed to hear they played ignorant to the issue. I have called roughly a dozen times on this issue. i always bring it up before giving my info to see their reaction and every time they say they have never heard or such an issue, and if there were a widespread issue, they would be the first to know.

it's frustrating that there appears to be no commitment to solving the issues. i have provided my serial numbers and information - did so when i first called in back in september. they know every item in my setup down to the brand of surge protector i have.

i wish they would at least recognize the issue.
post #1099 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baziado View Post

hey all.

just ran home to check out my new rotel 1550 that replaced the bad 6004 today. running out for the night but someone earlier asked me to post what happens with my replacement and sound vs the marantz etc.

I either had a dud of the 6004 or the rotel is really much much better. the sound I am hearing from my 805s b&w is the better then i could have ever ever ever imagined. Again it is so much better that I am wondering if in fact there was more wrong with my 6004 then the pops. In any event just wanted to answer an earlier post asking for to compare them.

granted the rotel has NONE of the bells and features of the marantz but i decided i wanted the best sound and didnt care at all about the features and this delivers sound that crushes what i heard on the 6004. again maybe my marantz had more issues then the pops who knows.

Probably should be comparing the 1550 more in league with an 8002 to be fair. Your 6004 was probably doing what it could at the price point. Was the Rotel new in the box or did it have some run time as a demo?

Glad to hear the Rotel is doing justice to your 805s. Continued good luck!
post #1100 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

He advised me again to have owners call with serial numbers. I told him a guy just last week bought a 6004 at Lyric Audio on the East coast and the machine locked up before the installing technician got back to the store a mile or so away.

Thanks for your detail report, very interesting!
this is my experience: I spoke with my dealer when I have the first POD unit replaced, they said "never heard anything like that". Later on, when I spoke with the service center, they said my dealer returned one POD unit a month ago! So you understand why they told you the same. I think the customer service is under the order from their superviser not to admit the known issues to other customers.

Have you read my post regarding the solution provided by HK? I have urge them to make a public annoucement to this issue but they refused to do so. I told them this is to protect their brand and stop all the "rumours" on the street! I tried but unsucessful.
post #1101 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM

As I have planned today that I will be auditioning a Marantz receiver at a high end home theater store ... I had a pleasant time auditioning a display of an older Marantz sr8001. The sound quality is a bit warmer than my Denon but not harsh to the ear. I tried to find faults at the sound quality and tried to tell myself that the Denon sounds just about the same but I guess it does really sound better, not much but still better to my ears. I then talked to the guy and was interested in purchasing an older sr7002. He then was pushing the new sr5004 and the sr6004 as those are the ones they have in the store. They do not stock older models and if I really wanted one, they could order it for me but he was telling me that the sr7002 is an older model and even if it is a higher end model, the sr6004 beats it with its new and up to date functions (I really don't know what those new and up to date functions are). I then told him of my concerns as the new model have bad reviews. He was surprised and told me maybe its just another dealer pushing some other brand as that is what other dealers do unlike their store who carries a number of brand and don't necessarily push any brand to a customer, which seems true as you can play around in the store and as high end as it is, nobody will bother you other than asking if you would try their snack bar and everything is free from coffee, cold drinks to cookies and other pastries. I told the guy about what I have read from this forum and a certain review from amazon and he then told me that they have never had issues with any of their customers who purchased the new xxx4 series. He was even telling me that Marantz has a three year warranty and I should not be concerned and that I will be better spending my money on the new sr6004 than the older sr7002 and save a hundred bucks or two. He seems authentic about his not knowing of any concerns or issues with the xxx4 series but I told him I will think about it and audition other brands first but Marantz is my number one choice for now. He said I should not be concerned of what I hear as per their store's experience, they have not heard of any complaints or issues.
post #1102 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncychu View Post

Thanks for your detail report, very interesting!
this is my experience: I spoke with my dealer when I have the first POD unit replaced, they said "never heard anything like that". Later on, when I spoke with the service center, they said my dealer returned one POD unit a month ago! So you understand why they told you the same. I think the customer service is under the order from their superviser not to admit the known issues to other customers.

Have you read my post regarding the solution provided by HK? I have urge them to make a public annoucement to this issue but they refused to do so. I told them this is to protect their brand and stop all the "rumours" on the street! I tried but unsucessful.

I did read your report and it sounded very authentic -- my first thought was great they have it. Then days went by and no news here and I began to wonder again, hence my call. Not great as you know.

CSR behavior today was consistent with orders to stonewall, but could also be a case of just out of a very leaky loop. As he had two previous calls such as mine and had not even mentioned it to any of his crew mates, it seems that inbound to that small group might actually not even travel across the room.

It is also not a good sign that your request to publish was not picked up on. Wonder if this is the way the thing at Toyota got started?
post #1103 of 1706 Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 PM
kcr

Quote:

I posted this already but, I have a SN and I spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with Marantz on Tuesday. Did quite a fews tests at his direction with setting and connections. Had at least 5 PODs with him on the phone. The guy was was friendly but not willing to admit that it was a problem that their receiver couldn't handle or process an audio signal from my DVR that my TV and so called lesser receiver had no problems with. He also stated that he hadn't heard of anyone else having this problem and actually called it an "isolated incident.".

Incidentally, when I spoke to my dealer on Thursday and told him how frustrated I was and ready to switch to another make, he somehow convinced me to let him order me a replacement unit which he will have next week. So I'll be trying a new 6004 next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

EDIT: I also don't buy that he hadn't mentioned it to his teammates because he should have to. I clearly heard the guy I talked to typing everything I was telling him. They all must have access to some kind of database of reported issues.
post #1104 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:

As I have planned today that I will be auditioning a Marantz receiver at a high end home theater store ... I had a pleasant time auditioning a display of an older Marantz sr8001. The sound quality is a bit warmer than my Denon but not harsh to the ear. I tried to find faults at the sound quality and tried to tell myself that the Denon sounds just about the same but I guess it does really sound better, not much but still better to my ears. I then talked to the guy and was interested in purchasing an older sr7002. He then was pushing the new sr5004 and the sr6004 as those are the ones they have in the store. They do not stock older models and if I really wanted one, they could order it for me but he was telling me that the sr7002 is an older model and even if it is a higher end model, the sr6004 beats it with its new and up to date functions (I really don't know what those new and up to date functions are). I then told him of my concerns as the new model have bad reviews. He was surprised and told me maybe its just another dealer pushing some other brand as that is what other dealers do unlike their store who carries a number of brand and don't necessarily push any brand to a customer, which seems true as you can play around in the store and as high end as it is, nobody will bother you other than asking if you would try their snack bar and everything is free from coffee, cold drinks to cookies and other pastries. I told the guy about what I have read from this forum and a certain review from amazon and he then told me that they have never had issues with any of their customers who purchased the new xxx4 series. He was even telling me that Marantz has a three year warranty and I should not be concerned and that I will be better spending my money on the new sr6004 than the older sr7002 and save a hundred bucks or two. He seems authentic about his not knowing of any concerns or issues with the xxx4 series but I told him I will think about it and audition other brands first but Marantz is my number one choice for now. He said I should not be concerned of what I hear as per their store's experience, they have not heard of any complaints or issues.

Suspect there are a huge number of xxx4 units running great. You could opt for doing what baziano did and get your dealer in the boat to see if a 05/04 would be happy in your system and play odds which are probably in your favor.

But then you have to pull it out if you lose the toss. And Baziano had the dealer install going for him. You want to be sure you get something more that cookies and milk from your guy if you take that road. You are off to a good start with him saying no problem with the xxx4s. Offer if he is so sure and ask for a no questions 90 day swap to any other model/brand if you start popping.

That should cut your risk to a resonable level. Still better imo to hold off on the xxx4 series until/if this thing resolves if possible. Older hands here might offer what you give up with a 7002 vs xxx4 and Winston has already covered the 6003. I have seen refurbs on those in the middle $500 range.

I have a three year old sr7400 that keeps me happy vs. the new stuff at the moment, but I only let it amp 2 of my seven speakers. I am a candidate for a pre/pro next up, but that may or may not ever happen.

Selden Ball just got a 8003 to replace an older Marantz receiver that may have pre-dated my 7400 -- I'm not sure. I am going to ask for his impressions on sq and other advantages of moving to a pre/pro after he gets it broken in.

Baziano above says his Rotel 1550 really kicks the 6004 on his B&W 805s mains system, but he stepped up in price nearer to the 8002 so that may be a bit unfair. I was not happy very long with reciever amplification in my system and added a three channel bryston early for the front and a old two channel Rotel recently for the surrounds. Had a 2 channel Yamaha back there for quite some time. The middles runs on the Marantz.

Essentially, I use a receiver as a switch but you still have to have the dacs and so far the Marantz has kept me from going up that price ladder. That is another thought for you, used amps are a great value and maybe look to that as a cost effective upgrade if you settle on a lower end receiver. Depends on whether your speakers will benefit as you well know.

My focus is on sound though with video a distant second. I have a three year old Panny pro plasma that is just so good it keeps me from yearning for better pq. Would like to move this 50 inch to the office though and get a 58 (65?) inch in here. It's always something.

Anyone know anything about the 7002 for DirtyDeeds as he shops receivers this weekend?
post #1105 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcr View Post

I posted this already but, I have a SN and I spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with Marantz on Tuesday. Did quite a fews tests at his direction with setting and connections. Had at least 5 PODs with him on the phone. The guy was was friendly but not willing to admit that it was a problem that their receiver couldn't handle or process an audio signal from my DVR that my TV and so called lesser receiver had no problems with. He also stated that he hadn't heard of anyone else having this problem and actually called it an "isolated incident.".

Incidentally, when I spoke to my dealer on Thursday and told him how frustrated I was and ready to switch to another make, he somehow convinced me to let him order me a replacement unit which he will have next week. So I'll be trying a new 6004 next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

EDIT: I also don't buy that he hadn't mentioned it to his teammates because he should have to. I clearly heard the guy I talked to typing everything I was telling him. They all must have access to some kind of database of reported issues.

This is getting intresting. Now a dealer is going to bat for the 6004. Baziano's guy threw in the towel immediately, but he was getting an upgrade so that factors in as well. We have a few ohers out there who put replacement xxx4s back into popping systems. What is the current status of those situations? I know Winston is 1 for 5 but how about others recent results?

And my CSR drew a clear distinction between "second hand" or was it "hearsay" calls such as mine and "reportable" (my term but based on his remarks) owners calling with serial numbers. No keyboard sounds during my call. Of course, he was getting peppered with questions and assertions on an accelerating pace, but I really think they discount what someone may have picked up off the web to a point that they do not have to do anything at all other than be polite to the caller. This he certainly was.

Getting second tier data like mine through would appear to rest with the individual CSR and since he had not discussed two previous calls of my type with anyone, I am not optimistic about my call going anywhere. Other than maybe "you should have heard the joker I just talked with".

Individual initiative on "hearsay" calls may not be sought or actually discouraged so that "whats the point" could be a realistic way to view of them. Harsh critique maybe, but the case is not difficult to make based on what I know here. Admittedly huge margin of error though and someone may well have an altogether different take?
post #1106 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is getting intresting. Now a dealer is going to bat for the 6004. Baziano's guy threw in the towel immediately, but he was getting an upgrade so that factors in as well. We have a few ohers out there who put replacement xxx4s back into popping systems. What is the current status of those situations? I know Winston is 1 for 5 but how about others recent results?

And my CSR drew a clear distinction between "second hand" or was it "hearsay" calls such as mine and "reportable" (my term but based on his remarks) owners calling with serial numbers. No keyboard sounds during my call. Of course, he was getting peppered with questions and assertions on an accelerating pace, but I really think they discount what someone may have picked up off the web to a point that they do not have to do anything at all other than be polite to the caller. This he certainly was.

Getting second tier data like mine through would appear to rest with the individual CSR and since he had not discussed two previous calls of my type with anyone, I am not optimistic about my call going anywhere. Other than maybe "you should have heard the joker I just talked with".

Individual initiative on "hearsay" calls may not be sought or actually discouraged sp that "whats the point" could be a realistic way to view of them. Harsh critique maybe, but the case is not difficult to make based on what I know here. Admittedly huge margin of error though and someone may well have an altogether different take?

It amazes me that Marantz has not impemented some damage control and admitted they have a fix or are close to. Each day a new POD trickles in - today from France: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18033665. Marantz is not even telling people they can temporarily get their POD'd unit out of protect via the SURR, CLEAR, EXIT method.
post #1107 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:

Selden Ball just got a 8003 to replace an older Marantz receiver that may have pre-dated my 7400 -- I'm not sure. I am going to ask for his impressions on sq and other advantages of moving to a pre/pro after he gets it broken in.

It replaced an AV9000, sorry, not a receiver. I'll post some comments in the AV/MM8003 thread since it's probably not appropriate to sidetrack this one.

Selden
post #1108 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:

I did read your report and it sounded very authentic -- my first thought was great they have it. Then days went by and no news here and I began to wonder again, hence my call. Not great as you know.

CSR behavior today was consistent with orders to stonewall, but could also be a case of just out of a very leaky loop. As he had two previous calls such as mine and had not even mentioned it to any of his crew mates, it seems that inbound to that small group might actually not even travel across the room.

It is also not a good sign that your request to publish was not picked up on. Wonder if this is the way the thing at Toyota got started?

You are right. Almost all the manufacturer will deny faults on their product at the beginning. They will initiate recall until they cannot cover it anymore. How many accidents ocurred before Toyota recall their products?

CSR & dealer won't tell you the truth. As what I have experienced with my dealer, I called back about what I have heard from the service center(they returned one POD unit to the service center one month ago), my dealer hesitated for a while then said '' a long time ago, I don't remember".
post #1109 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:

It amazes me that Marantz has not impemented some damage control and admitted they have a fix or are close to. Each day a new POD trickles in - today from France: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18033665. Marantz is not even telling people they can temporarily get their POD'd unit out of protect via the SURR, CLEAR, EXIT method.

Utter arrogance or supreme confidence? Probably silly to ascribe human characteristcs to manufacturing entities but decisions are, after all, made by people. The xxx4 issue is spreading around the forum. I have seen it referred in at least two other threads, and I am not out there that much.

Like you, I have to wonder at their seeming apathy toward attempts to turn their attention to this matter. I have pretty much concluded it is their habit to ignore forum discourse around and about their products. They are very successful so it is hard to question their tactics, but it does seem odd in view of the many examples where things just blow up on other Companies, Toyota a recent example.

I can reiterate and you may share the knowledge that Marantz has long been held in high regard as to musicality vs. their lower end receiverr competition. That is what I read about ten years ago and here it is again when I take a look at this thread. Bariazo reports much better results with his new Rotel, but he stepped up a significant price level.

Toyota has sold to their quality image from the beginning. Whether a bad stumble in that area turns out to be particularly onerous for them, remains to be seen. Kia/Hundai have closed the quality gap at a significantly lower price structure. Many, it seems to me, have migrated to Onkyo/Integra for lower end reciever applications and threads on those products are every bit if not more robust than Marantz threads.

Like Toyota, Marantz has paired their lower end sq advantage with very good reliability and it seems to me things like the POD issue have to chip away at that. Of course, they will stand staunchly behind their (sitll?) industry leading three their warrenty and the problem rate is still probably very low overall. At worst, this is likely to be a one generation, one model series, low incidence discrepancy, and a Company such as Marantz with their long history of good performance (and many current trouble free products) may just believe this is a hit they can easily afford to take.

It will be interesting to see how kcr makes out with his dealer recommended second try of a 6004 after the first one popped in his system. Got to hand it to kcr for stepping up on that one.

I am beginning to believe it is going to require dealer traction to bring this matter to resolution. The xxx4 series is a very attractive package for dealers to get folks started down the 5 channel purchase chain what with blue tooth and so on. Many of us are not blue tooth "ready" but those getting started are very much so. They are also not reading forums in the main, more likely listening to dealers.

Dealers are not going to look kindly on products they recommend and replacements they advise which then fail again in the same manner. It did not take Lyric long to get off that dime with Baziano. Maybe this is just a matter of time, though I am fully aware for owners of troubled xxx4 receivers, way too much time has already passed.

Apologies to all for these long posts. Will endeaver to cut more quickly to the chase in the future.
post #1110 of 1706 Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Hello all,
I just got my refurbished 6004 from accessories4less. Only problem is the remote that came with it is for the 5004 (RC008SR) and it also did not include the RX101. I emailed them last night but I believe they are closed weekends. Has anyone had any experience with this issue before with them and if so, how did they handle it.
Thanks all!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6004 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page