Marantz SR6004/SR5004 Owners' Thread - Page 57 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1706 Old 12-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This model is a few years old now and I'm sure owners have either never had any issues with their receiver or have moved on to another product. I have not kept up with this thread and maybe the information I'm offering has already been covered.

In four years of ownership, I had never experienced any of the reported POD problems with my receiver, having fed it from more than seven or so sources, However, I recently added a streaming media player to my configuration. On several occasions with this media player while fast-forwarding chapters, I experienced a loud pop and the receiver entered protect mode. Fortunately, I was able to restore normal operation by hitting the power switch. I was able to experience the same POD repeatedly at the same location with one particular movie.

I revisited some of the information online concerning this issue. In order to find out what version of firmware I had, I went into the factory service mode. The factory service mode reset all settings, so I was forced to revisit my setup in total. I discovered one particular setting was very poorly documented. There is a setting called "Audio" on the "Preferences" menu. The setting allows for three values: "Main", "Sub" and "Main+Sub". I think the default value is "Main". I had always used "Main+Sub" since I have tower L/R front speakers. However, when I set this value to "Sub", I could not reproduce the POD.

The Marantz manual states the following for this setting:

Audio
In the Audio mode, Dolby Digital and DTS output is either "Main" or "Sub". Select "Audio" with the < or > cursor buttons.

This doesn't really give you much guidance about the proper use of this setting.

I'd be interested in knowing if any other POD victims have experimented with this value. I'm also wondering if "Main" and "Main+"Sub" settings could be passing DC signals to "small" speakers causing a rush of current through the amps and triggering protect mode. The "Sub" setting could be limiting any errant signal to the sub, which would not be going through the receiver's amps and instead would be properly dealt with by the sub's rumble filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1706 Old 12-08-2013, 05:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
This setting likely is identifying where the 0.1 LFE signal is to be passed, either to the "Main" speakers only, the "Sub" only, or to both "Main + Sub". The recommended setting would be "Sub" as it is generally better designed to handle the lower level frequencies.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1683 of 1706 Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

This setting likely is identifying where the 0.1 LFE signal is to be passed, either to the "Main" speakers only, the "Sub" only, or to both "Main + Sub". The recommended setting would be "Sub" as it is generally better designed to handle the lower level frequencies.

You are absolutely correct. Considering the default value steers LFE content to all speakers, that could be a contributing factor resulting in PODs. Ultimately, there is still a digital signal decoding error with this receiver since pretty much all other receivers are able to correctly handle abrupt transitions in digital bit streams.
post #1684 of 1706 Old 01-17-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had the SR5004 for about 4 years and have used both settings in audio for a while (''Main + Sub'' and ''Sub'') and never experienced the POD.

But I have another question, hope some SR5004/6004 user can help me.
I want to upscale my connected box for digital television (connected with HDMI) from 1080i to 1080p via my SR5004 receiver.
The signal is being sent from the box through the receiver and the receiver is connected to the TV.
digital box --> hdmi --> SR5004 --> hdmi --> P50GT60 (TV)

I had a look in the settings.

Setting ''HDMI Output Resolution'' to 1080p and setting ''Analog&HDMI'' in the settings is not helping. My TV still says that the signal is 1080i.
Anyone who can help me? Thanks!

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #1685 of 1706 Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post

I want to upscale my connected box for digital television (connected with HDMI) from 1080i to 1080p via my SR5004 receiver.
The signal is being sent from the box through the receiver and the receiver is connected to the TV.

Setting ''HDMI Output Resolution'' to 1080p and setting ''Analog&HDMI'' in the settings is not helping. My TV still says that the signal is 1080i.

Be sure it's set as 1080p or auto on your set-top-box and your TV.
post #1686 of 1706 Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

Be sure it's set as 1080p or auto on your set-top-box and your TV.

I can not set it to 1080p or auto on the set-top-box.
The highest I can set it to is 1080i, but that should not matter, the AV should upscale it to 1080p.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #1687 of 1706 Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I've had the SR5004 for about 4 years and have used both settings in audio for a while (''Main + Sub'' and ''Sub'') and never experienced the POD.

But I have another question, hope some SR5004/6004 user can help me.

Try setting the Resolution setting on the AVR from "Auto" to "1080p". If still no joy, it is unlikely you would be able to tell the difference either way.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #1688 of 1706 Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Try setting the Resolution setting on the AVR from "Auto" to "1080p". If still no joy, it is unlikely you would be able to tell the difference either way.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not do the trick.
I tried Auto and 1080p - they make no difference. Even setting it to 720p for instance does not make a difference. TV always keeps saying it's 1080i.
Any more suggestions? Anyone with a SR5004 who managed to get it to upscale the video?

post #1689 of 1706 Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not do the trick.
I tried Auto and 1080p - they make no difference. Even setting it to 720p for instance does not make a difference. TV always keeps saying it's 1080i.
Any more suggestions? Anyone with a SR5004 who managed to get it to upscale the video?

How are you leaving the video resolution menu?

Some people have found that in some cases you have to return to the next higher menu before exiting in order for some of the Audyssey audio settings to take effect. Might this setting have a similar requirement?

Selden
post #1690 of 1706 Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

How are you leaving the video resolution menu?

Some people have found that in some cases you have to return to the next higher menu before exiting in order for some of the Audyssey audio settings to take effect. Might this setting have a similar requirement?

I am always leaving the menu by returning to the next higher menu before exiting. So that can not be it.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

post #1691 of 1706 Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 AM
585-645-1006

^^
I don't use the video upscaling feature on my Denon AVR as it does no better on my Panny TV than simply setting the DirecTV box to 1080i (which also provides for faster channel switching). However as a test, I tried setting the i/p Scaler setting to "Analog and HDMI" which as in your case also resulted in nothing higher than 1080i to the TV. I fooled around with the DirecTV video settings by first setting "Native ON" and checking all of the video resolution output settings. This resulted in the input signal on the TV displaying as 1080p. I then unchecked all the video resolution settings except the 1080i boxe on the DTV and set it to "Native OFF" in order to let the DTV box do the upscaling to 1080i (as I originally had it set up). The TV still showed the signal being received as 1080p. I set the "i/p Scaler" setting back to OFF and the TV now displays 1080i. So you may find that cycling the resolution settings on your cable/sat box may resolve your issue, although again ... you are very unlikely to be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p (or 720p for that matter) at a viewing distance of > 8'.

"JD" –

post #1692 of 1706 Old 01-25-2014, 01:52 PM

I just got myself a 2nd hand SR6004. Everything works like a charm except that I get snow on my Samsung LED screen. I connecter my PS3 to the Marantz BD HDMI port and connected my TV tot the Output 1 (also tried 2) 

When I start up my PS3. I see white spickles trough the screen.. not very obvious but they are there and once in a while there is more snow. 

The receiver is connected to a single power socket in the wall. And the playstation and TV have a seperate multi power socket. The receiver is not grounded by the socket. Should I ground it another way?

Any guesses what can cause my problem? or do you guys thing the HDMI section is damaged in some way?

post #1693 of 1706 Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidious View Post

I just got myself a 2nd hand SR6004. Everything works like a charm except that I get snow on my Samsung LED screen. I connecter my PS3 to the Marantz BD HDMI port and connected my TV tot the Output 1 (also tried 2) 

When I start up my PS3. I see white spickles trough the screen.. not very obvious but they are there and once in a while there is more snow. 

The receiver is connected to a single power socket in the wall. And the playstation and TV have a seperate multi power socket. The receiver is not grounded by the socket. Should I ground it another way?

Any guesses what can cause my problem? or do you guys thing the HDMI section is damaged in some way?
While it could be caused by the receiver's HDMI circuits, the problem you report (seeing "sparklies" in the image) most often is caused by an inadequate HDMI cable. Since you seem to be saying that you only see the speckles when the PS3 is selected, you might try replacing the cable between the PS3 and the receiver with one that's certified for High Speed use (i.e. for 1080p, 3D and 4K).

Note that you don't need to buy a "boutique" cable like Monster. People here often report using cables from Monoprice.

Selden
post #1694 of 1706 Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM

Thnx for the quick reply. I will try another HDMI cable. Have to wait untill monday though. 

Will post back about this problem if another cable fixed the problem or not. The cable I use is a High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet.. no brand. Got it with my graphics card I guess.. cant remember. The HDMI cable I use to my TV has always worked fine and is a cable that came with a AC Ryan mediaplayer.

post #1695 of 1706 Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Something to try before then is to make sure your current cable is fully seated at both ends. Press on them. They can look like they're seated but not be all the way in. It's one of the many poor design features of the HDMI standard.

Also, when getting a new cable, don't pay extra for HDMI with Ethernet. No known devices use that feature.

Selden
post #1696 of 1706 Old 01-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Ok I will. But the thing is.. I've tried both cables between the PS3 and TV standalone and no problems at al.. but when I connect trough the receiver. They start to appear.. wouldn't I also have had problems with the cables between tv and PS3 if they where unfit or of low quality? 

post #1697 of 1706 Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 AM

OK, now it's getting strange.. I just connected my laptop trough the exact same cables and HDMI port on the receiver.. and no sparkles.. Seems like a handshake problem with the PS3.. I borrowed another cable from a buddy.. and it gives the same sparkles on PS3.. but not with laptop (although the laptop isn't doing 1080p).. strange problem.

Connected a seperate media player, and no problems either. The problem only exists between my PS3 and Marantz.

post #1698 of 1706 Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cidious View Post

OK, now it's getting strange.. I just connected my laptop trough the exact same cables and HDMI port on the receiver.. and no sparkles.. Seems like a handshake problem with the PS3.. I borrowed another cable from a buddy.. and it gives the same sparkles on PS3.. but not with laptop (although the laptop isn't doing 1080p).. strange problem.

Connected a seperate media player, and no problems either. The problem only exists between my PS3 and Marantz.

Hi Cidious, on the PS3 try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" under Display Settings.
post #1699 of 1706 Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 AM

I tried to turn this Deep Color Output settings off but my TV does not seem to support this.. It says mode not supported. TV does not support this resolution.

Tomorrow I wil buy a WD TV Live to watch my movies with. Seems much more efficient (energy wise) to play my movies with full HD AND DTS-HD (sinds latest firmware added this ability). I hope it won't give me sparkles and then I will connect the PS3 trough HDMI for video and optical for audio for solid gaming sessions, since games only use DTS of DD and I don't use the bluray player of the PS3

post #1700 of 1706 Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM

With my new WD TV Live I no problems whatsoever.. Image is crisp en clear and the sound is perfect. I am really enjoying this receiver. Its a little less warm than my previous SR7400 and I also think it is a little less dynamic, but it brings a lot more clarity to the table.  Running with Boston Acoustic A250's fronts. A25's surrounds, a A225C center and a REL Storm subwoofer. No complaints whatsover. Except for the PS3 handshake ofcourse. 

I connect my PS3 directly to the TV with the optical going to my SR6004. I loose lossless audio. But I gain a clean image on PS3. Games only use normal DTS and I have never watched a bluray on it.. so I'm not losing much functionality for PS3.

post #1701 of 1706 Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Cidious,

Other people who've reported a loss of dynamics have discovered that if they re-run the Audyssey calibration carefully, they get better results and restored dynamics.

Please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21782993
Its length is somewhat intimidating, but the instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate. For example, the use of a $20 boom microphone stand can make a big difference in accuracy.

Selden
post #1702 of 1706 Old 02-02-2014, 11:39 AM

I've experimented with the Audessey setup but the problem is that my receiver disables it when playing DTS-HD or TrueHD.. so its not of much use to me when playing BD remuxes.. 

I just replaced about all bluray dts rips with losseless remuxes.. Was a waste of time i guess.. I think the audessy settings are sounding pretty nice with DTS core.

What do you guys think about the difference between DTS Core and DTS-HDMA? I can't really hear a big difference.. when Audessey is disabled DTS-HDMA sounds a little more dynamic but with DTS Core and Audessey activated the difference isn't this big.. Whats your opinion about these differences?

post #1703 of 1706 Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 AM

So I'm pretty excited about my latest audio streaming test and I thought I would share. I'm a long time owner of this unit and use it well. I work out the home so it's pretty much on all the time. I have a 7.1 setup with the two mains being Monitor Audio In Wall Silver RS, along with a Klipsch sub (the satellites are inconsequential) Also, for music, I am using Logitech Touch/Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server via QNAP NAS (the server is actually installed on the NAS and not on a computer to reduce traffic and hops). For the Logitech Squeezebox Touch, turns out there is a third party app via Triode that makes the unit support 192/24 bit streaming via USB or the SPDIF. Knowing that the DAC in the SR6004 is pretty good and it supports 192/24, I thought I would try it out via SPDIF since there is no USB in for the SR6004.

After a bit of messing around with the network, I finally got it to work. (I was originally using the Logitech wireless - and where it streamed 96/24 with no problems, the 192/24 files were just to much for the wireless, so I went out and purchased a pair of Ethernet powerline adapters from netgear)

Over the next few days, I'll be listening to my test album, Thriller in 320 MP3, 96/24 Flac and 192/24 Flac and I'll post my thoughts here. In the mean time a quick question: is there anyway to have a front panel display of the unit be displayed on my TV? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I ask because the unit is inside a cabinet that I made which has no access to the front of the unit. So in order to "play" with the settings, It's hard to know what I'm doing unless I physically take the unit out of the cabinet...

thanks and stay tuned...
post #1704 of 1706 Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM

The Audio mode in the preferences menu has nothing to do with Bass management. That's controlled in the Speaker Setup.

The Audio mode lets you select the language you want when you listen to the dual audio of a digital broadcast when available. This feature only functions for Dolby Digital sources.

• MAIN/SUB: Sound of the main language
will be output through the front left speaker
and sound of the sub language will be output
through the front right speaker
simultaneously.

• MAIN: Sound of the main language will be
output.

• SUB: Sound of the sub language will be
output

It's very poorly explained in the Marantz manual though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av View Post

This model is a few years old now and I'm sure owners have either never had any issues with their receiver or have moved on to another product. I have not kept up with this thread and maybe the information I'm offering has already been covered.

In four years of ownership, I had never experienced any of the reported POD problems with my receiver, having fed it from more than seven or so sources, However, I recently added a streaming media player to my configuration. On several occasions with this media player while fast-forwarding chapters, I experienced a loud pop and the receiver entered protect mode. Fortunately, I was able to restore normal operation by hitting the power switch. I was able to experience the same POD repeatedly at the same location with one particular movie.

I revisited some of the information online concerning this issue. In order to find out what version of firmware I had, I went into the factory service mode. The factory service mode reset all settings, so I was forced to revisit my setup in total. I discovered one particular setting was very poorly documented. There is a setting called "Audio" on the "Preferences" menu. The setting allows for three values: "Main", "Sub" and "Main+Sub". I think the default value is "Main". I had always used "Main+Sub" since I have tower L/R front speakers. However, when I set this value to "Sub", I could not reproduce the POD.

The Marantz manual states the following for this setting:

Audio
In the Audio mode, Dolby Digital and DTS output is either "Main" or "Sub". Select "Audio" with the < or > cursor buttons.

This doesn't really give you much guidance about the proper use of this setting.

I'd be interested in knowing if any other POD victims have experimented with this value. I'm also wondering if "Main" and "Main+"Sub" settings could be passing DC signals to "small" speakers causing a rush of current through the amps and triggering protect mode. The "Sub" setting could be limiting any errant signal to the sub, which would not be going through the receiver's amps and instead would be properly dealt with by the sub's rumble filter.
post #1705 of 1706 Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had my 6004 in a box for a while and I am just getting around to setting it up with an OPPO BDP83 Bluray (long story). With everybody talking about the POD and it most likely happening with digital input, would it make any sense to use the 7.1 analog output from the OPPO instead of HDMI? I'm not sure which unit would have better processing for SACD, DTS-HD, etc. The OPPO only has one HDMI out so I would connect it directly to the TV.Would I lose anything major by not using HDMI on the Marantz? I would only be using 5.1.

Also, if I'm using Zone A speakers (left/right speakers in another room with a SW) strictly for stereo listening, I thought that I read that the source must be analog. Does this mean I must use the analog out from my CD player instead of the digital out for listening on the Zone A speakers or does this just apply if you use the zone A as a connection to another amp?
post #1706 of 1706 Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I previously posted about my 6004 being in a box and I was just getting around to setting it up. I set it up today and I don't think I'm getting the POD but it is shutting itself off.

I had set up the Zone A speaker which is really an A/B splitter that either goes to a separate room with a pair of speakers and a sub or out on the deck but there is no speakers attached yet. The manual is a little confusing on how to set this up but I did so and hit the Z spkr button. Initially it worked as advertised. I could listen to a CD (analog connection) in Zone A and the TV on the main unit. I tried it again and every time I hit the Z spkr button, the unit shut off. If I wait a minute, the unit starts up but every time I went to Z spkr, it shut off. I have no HDMI connections, only coax and optical. My Motorola DVR is connected by coax. I have a Bluray and CD using coax and optical plus analog for both (required for Zone A).

I tried setting putting the speaker connections (banana plugs) over to the FR/FL B spkr connections to see if worked with the A/B spkr button and it does but I increased the volume when on spkr B (spkrs + sub) and it shut off again.

This doesn't sound like the POD. Has anybody else had this problem and was there a solution? Is there a firmware update that does anything for this?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr6004 Audio Video Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page