Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3525 Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanl715 View Post

It stays ON ! This is for those people that accidentally leave 1 little old strand from their + dangling as they screw down the speaker post and it touches the metal chassis and they turn it on and a puff of smoke glides up from the rear of the cooked amp section.
alan

The answer is obvious now that you say that; good call! Glad I didn't take it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3525 Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj325 View Post

I am looking at putting together a 5.1 audio system in a room where I have some space limitations. I have a pair of powered speakers on a desk that I would like to use for now as the surround speakers on the 5.1 set up (and maybe later as the rear speakers of a 7.1 set up if I find the right surround speakers that fit my space/sq needs). Whatever the case, the powered speakers needs to stay as they are part of a computer audio mixing set up—also they have dual inputs and individual volume controls if that makes any difference.

What I want to know if there is a way to have my passive Front L&R, and Center speakers powered by the 23TXH, and take the pre amp outs for the surround and send that off to the powered speakers—and have this all be able to work with the MCACC processing?

And if there is such a set up, would it work the same on the 21 as on the 23 in case I can save a few bucks?

Any ideas on how to make this work so it sounds good (the reason I’m going for the Elite) in alignment with the automation features of the Pioneer would be appreciated.

Assuming your powered speakers can take input via regular RCA type cables, you should be able to connect them to the pre-out outputs on the rear of the receiver. It would be just as if you were connecting a multi-channel amp except you're only using a 2 channel one and only for wherever those powered speakers are connected.
post #273 of 3525 Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 AM

I have a newb question. Didn't know if I should post it here or in the Harmony One owners thread, but since it pertains to a specific receiver, I figured I'd try on here. Just got the VSX-21TXH two days ago and I'm having trouble getting it to work properly with my Harmony One. How do you set up the remote to choose a specific input? I can only get it to choose the "HDMI" button, which in turn just cycles through inputs. I want it to go directly to the source input when I choose an activity. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Revenge is a dish best served cold...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 3525 Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

If your audio select is set to (or showing) "Stereo" you will only get audio outputs to your R/L speakers - no audio is being sent to your sub. To change this, chose one (any one, of your choice) of the surround modes, and your sub will be engaged.

I am assuming that you set up your AVR so that it knows exactly what speakers you have connected (R/L + sub, and no other speakers).

Sorry to be late to the party, but this is incorrect. If your speaker setup indicates you have a subwoofer, you will get subwoofer signal when in stereo.

(see page 58 of the owner's manual)

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #275 of 3525 Old 10-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMF222 View Post

I have a newb question. Didn't know if I should post it here or in the Harmony One owners thread, but since it pertains to a specific receiver, I figured I'd try on here. Just got the VSX-21TXH two days ago and I'm having trouble getting it to work properly with my Harmony One. How do you set up the remote to choose a specific input? I can only get it to choose the "HDMI" button, which in turn just cycles through inputs. I want it to go directly to the source input when I choose an activity. Any help would be great. Thanks.

BadMF222, I setup my VSX-03TXH last night. You need to go into the Harmony One software, and re-do the setup for the activity. In there, you will select which input is supposed to correspond to what device. If you need further help, or have any questions. I can try to help.
post #276 of 3525 Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 PM

Liked: 11
Why does my VSX21TXH keep on defaulting back to TV/SAT even after I turn the receiver off and then on later? I even tried to disable the inputs in the setup menu.
post #277 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyredesign View Post

BadMF222, I setup my VSX-03TXH last night. You need to go into the Harmony One software, and re-do the setup for the activity. In there, you will select which input is supposed to correspond to what device. If you need further help, or have any questions. I can try to help.

I could definitely use some help on this as well. I got my 23TXH in tonight and spent hours trying to get the Harmony One to work correctly with it. From what i've observed, what we really need are discrete input codes for HDMI inputs 1-4/5 because using the HDMI button the the original factory remote first goes to BD which is a non-assignable HDMI input, then further presses of the HDMI button proceed to cycle through assignable HDMI inputs 1-4(or 3 depending on the model). Right now I set it up on input type 2 by using the input select button from the VSX-56TXi that is being replaced, unfortunately, this means that input changes could literally result in the Harmony cycling through every input on the receiver to get to the correct one.
post #278 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Why does my VSX21TXH keep on defaulting back to TV/SAT even after I turn the receiver off and then on later? I even tried to disable the inputs in the setup menu.

you need to turn off hdmi control...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #279 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post

I could definitely use some help on this as well. I got my 23TXH in tonight and spent hours trying to get the Harmony One to work correctly with it. From what i've observed, what we really need are discrete input codes for HDMI inputs 1-4/5 because using the HDMI button the the original factory remote first goes to BD which is a non-assignable HDMI input, then further presses of the HDMI button proceed to cycle through assignable HDMI inputs 1-4(or 3 depending on the model). Right now I set it up on input type 2 by using the input select button from the VSX-56TXi that is being replaced, unfortunately, this means that input changes could literally result in the Harmony cycling through every input on the receiver to get to the correct one.

out of curiosity, i just went and added the 23txh to my profile...

there are discrete codes in the database for hdmi inputs....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #280 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

out of curiosity, i just went and added the 23txh to my profile...

there are discrete codes in the database for hdmi inputs....

May I pm you a bit later? I guess I have no idea where to load them from.
post #281 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

sure, no problem...

but to get you a bit ahead of the game...

if you go to "customize buttons", and click on any of the drop-downs next to a command, you'll see the complete list of commands that is available for your device...

in the case of of the 23, the discrete commands for hdmi inputs are:

inputhdmi
inputhdmi1
inputhdmi2
inputhdmi3
inputhdmi4

you actually won't need to know the name of the discrete command... when you do the setup for your activity, the wizard should ask you what input you need your avr to be set to...

feel free to pm... we'll get you set up right... if you get stuck, you can pm me your login information and i'll take a look at your profile for you...

edit: you may need to go to "device setup" and add the "inputhdmi" commands to the input list... do this by going to "re-do setup for this device" and clicking through until you get to the input list... alternatively, you can just add the "correct" hdmi command to the activity...

- chris

post #282 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 PM

Can any Pioneer Elite VSX-21/23TXH owners confirm that the receiver works correctly with bitstreaming DD+ track?
I had a pioneer VSX-01 (2008 model) and had to sell it because it couldn't process the DD+ sound track bitstreamed from my LG BH200 combo;
it showed up as "PCM 192kHz stereo" instead. I need to get another receiver and thinking about getting VSX-23TXH if this problem is fixed in 2009 models. Thanks.
post #283 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Sorry to be late to the party, but this is incorrect. If your speaker setup indicates you have a subwoofer, you will get subwoofer signal when in stereo.

(see page 58 of the owner's manual)

I am set to Front: small, SW: on (only option). If I run either non hd channels or music via Apple TV, receiver reads STEREO and Sub will not engage. I do need to hit Surround function as Tony B recommended and sub fires. Not sure what else I am doing wrong.

Thank you.
Myles.
post #284 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morda View Post

Can any Pioneer Elite VSX-21/23TXH owners confirm that the receiver works correctly with bitstreaming DD+ track?
I had a pioneer VSX-01 (2008 model) and had to sell it because it couldn't process the DD+ sound track bitstreamed from my LG BH200 combo;
it showed up as "PCM 192kHz stereo" instead. I need to get another receiver and thinking about getting VSX-23TXH if this problem is fixed in 2009 models. Thanks.

in all likelihood it is not, as the "problem" still exists in the 25/27 models...

i wouldn't expect it to be "fixed"...

- chris

post #285 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:

sure, no problem...

if you go to "customize buttons", and click on any of the drop-downs next to a command, you'll see the complete list of commands that is available for your device...

inputhdmi
inputhdmi1
inputhdmi2
inputhdmi3
inputhdmi4

you actually won't need to know the name of the discrete command... when you do the setup for your activity, the wizard should ask you what input you need your avr to be set to...

feel free to pm... we'll get you set up right... if you get stuck, you can pm me your login information and i'll take a look at your profile for you...

edit: you may need to go to "device setup" and add the "inputhdmi" commands to the input list... do this by going to "re-do setup for this device" and clicking through until you get to the input list... alternatively, you can just add the "correct" hdmi command to the activity...

I have to tell you that I don't remember seeing that many inputhdmi commands in there, but i'm a positive thinker. I'm going to try it and see what I find out.
post #286 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder18 View Post

I have to tell you that I don't remember seeing that many inputhdmi commands in there, but i'm a positive thinker. I'm going to try it and see what I find out.

have faith... it's unlikely that they have a "special" 23thx in their database just for me...

- chris

post #287 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:

sure, no problem...

inputhdmi
inputhdmi1
inputhdmi2
inputhdmi3
inputhdmi4

Ok, you are the man. That did it.I chose input type 2 and was able to map each individual hdmi input to it's associated output device.
Thank you very much!
post #288 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you are welcome... glad you got it working the way you wanted... trust me, i know how frustrating it can be...

- chris

post #289 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

you need to turn off hdmi control...

Thanks I'll check this when I get home? Is this similar to Kuro Link?

Last night when I attempted to play some trailers off of my Xbox 360 there was no sound coming out of the speakers and the receiver seemed to click. Going back to the menu, I could hear sound again. I went into the receivers menu and went through each option until I turned off Kuro Link and the sound came back. It seemed to say that the HDCP compatibility was restored on the xbox 360 gui after I turned kuro link off. Why is this?

What are the pro's and con's of using Kuro Link then. I assumed it just allowed you to turn on your tv with your receiver and control your pioneer blu-ray player. If it makes a difference I have a Pioneer Kuro Plasma.
post #290 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

yup. hdmi control = kuro link...

dunno for sure. i don't have a xbox (it's all i can do to play wii games )... hdcp works in mysterious ways. i'll take a wag that it's some type of hdmi cec (iow, hdmi control) issue causing the handshake to fail.

pros: what you listed, plus the ability (on some models) to use pqls with an pqls enabled player.

cons: everything else. hdmi control is second only to the "small/large" speaker designation for causing problems/issues/confusion for users. it's a headache, and i wish it would just go away. a good idea that has been poorly/incompletely/inconsistently implemented.

- chris

post #291 of 3525 Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:

have faith... it's unlikely that they have a "special" 23thx in their database just for me...

I'm not gonna lie, for a moment there, I thought I might re-add the receiver by modifying it's model name to "23thx" to see if that had different options. I'm just glad you responded to my post when you did to save me all that extra work!

Thanks again! I really do appreciate all your help.
post #292 of 3525 Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Fixed, nvm Thanks!
post #293 of 3525 Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alano2 View Post

I just returned a Denon 2310CI because of HDMI handshake issues. I'm wondering if anyone has seen a similar problem with the VSX21THX.

My TV has DVI input but no HDMI input. I am planning to hook the receiver up to the TV using HDMI2DVI. I would like to use HDMI to hook my cable box and blueray player to the receiver.

With the Denon, the sound from an HDMI source would play through my receiver speakers with the TV off, but when the TV is on the DVI handshake would tell the Blueray player to stop sending sound over HDMI.

I would like confirmation that someone else has successfully done a Source -> HDMI -> Receiver -> HDMI2DVI -> TV combo with the VSX21THX.

Not sure if you have an answer to this yet but it seems Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer all have handshake issues. My Vsx21 takes 10-15 seconds to handshake with my comcast box when I go from a standard def channel o a hi def channel. I find this pretty annoying and worse than the Onkyo.

Has anyone found a way to speed up the hand shake?????
post #294 of 3525 Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just suffered my first problem that I can truly verify is the AVR's fault( I've had a minor HDMI issue with my Directv box). That issue is the LED blue light for power on died. This is pretty quick (50 days) and I have been told that this has been an issue with the Elites at least going back to the 01/03 and 05/07 series. Apparently, it hasn't caused any other problems than that and hasn't affected long term reliability. I really don't want to d/c this and send it in, but I would if thought this was a precursor for future reliability.

Tony B
post #295 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 AM

I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX53TX for 6 trouble free years , looks good sounds good plenty of power to fill my 16 x 13 foot theater .My question would I notice a difference in amplifier sound quality with the VSX23 over the VSX53 .
post #296 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM

I just bought vsx-23thx, and set it up with a set of klipsch ICON speakers (bi amp) including 300wd subwoofer. For TV/Video the sound is great, i set it up with the MCACC tool.

My question is when i Play CD's, I dont get any output from my subwoofer. Id like to have my 2 fronts and my sub crank when i play pure music. Does anyone know who i need to set up the sub to get sound in stereo? The sub works for surround etc..
post #297 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^

1) do you have your speakers set to "small"?

2) if so, ensure you are set to "auto" or "direct" and not "pure direct".

3) if not, set speakers to "small".

- chris

post #298 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Here is another of my usual stupid questions. First of all... after weeks of going back and forth on what receiver to get, I finally opened my THX23 purchase and am ready to finally enjoy my set-up.

Here is my question: After I hook up my Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 5.1 speaker system, can I listen to my music only I-Pod with just the two front speakers and sub? Or do I have to listen to my I-Pod with all speakers working including the surrounds?

If this is possible, do I have to reconnect the speakers a different way to listen to the I-Pod in just 2-channel stereo plus sub woofer, which would seem to be a pain to do every time, or am I not understanding something as usual

Thanks
post #299 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

dave...

sure you can... actually, that will be what you will get unless you force some type of post-processing (invoked by pressing "standard surround" or "advanced surround" on the remote), or use pure direct (which will give you 2 channel, no sub)...

- chris

post #300 of 3525 Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks Chris....Feel like a fool thinking that all of the speakers would be on if I just want to listen to my I-Pod. Just wasn't sure what setting to call up to just have the two fronts and sub on only, when listening to the I-Pod.

Thanks again
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page