post #3331 of 3525 Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegapoint View Post

Thanks, that did it. On pg. 91 it says, speaker B: for listening in another room. So how is that different then setting up another Zone?

Speaker B is slaved to, and mirrors the source for the primary zone and its receiver. It can take a source from any input, regardless of whether it's an analog, digital, or HDMI source.

Zone 2 is a separate zone, and can have a different input than the primary zone's receiver.

You would use "Speaker B" if you wanted to set up a second set of speakers for your primary zone, such as satellite speakers in a wet bar, or if you had a 5.1 setup for watching movies but wanted set of full-range speakers to listen to music in stereo-only.

If you wanted your wet bar to be able to listen to something other than what was going on in the main zone (movie in the main zone, radio tuner in the wet bar), you would set it up as Zone 2.

My friend uses Speaker B to run speakers on his deck from his receiver in his garage. I use Speaker B to run a set of speakers in my basement from the receiver in my computer room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3525 Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM

I mistakedly shut off power to my system. I"ll never do that again.

Called Pioneer and they tried to tell me I should be using side speakers as back surround. The GUI shows side speakers & no back speakers under Speaker B setting. (...there does exist a G.U.Illustration with back speakers and no side speakers, as I actually have! I realize the plugs don't determine.)
I can't access Front, Center or SB to change them to small. Cursor toggles from the highlighted Speaker B to OK.

If I go to Speaker Setting I get Front: SMALL
Center: SMALL
Surr: SMALL
SB: ---
SW: YES
X.OVER: 80Hz

...and again I get side speakers and no back in the GUI. The def. of 5.1 is back not side speakers right? Pioneer is trying to convince me its sides.
post #3333 of 3525 Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegapoint View Post

I mistakedly shut off power to my system. I"ll never do that again.

Called Pioneer and they tried to tell me I should be using side speakers as back surround. The GUI shows side speakers & no back speakers under Speaker B setting. (...there does exist a G.U.Illustration with back speakers and no side speakers, as I actually have! I realize the plugs don't determine.)
I can't access Front, Center or SB to change them to small. Cursor toggles from the highlighted Speaker B to OK.

If I go to Speaker Setting I get Front: SMALL
Center: SMALL
Surr: SMALL
SB: ---
SW: YES
X.OVER: 80Hz

...and again I get side speakers and no back in the GUI. The def. of 5.1 is back not side speakers right? Pioneer is trying to convince me its sides.

When you say "side speakers" do you mean the "Surr" speakers as shown in the GUI?
Please use "Surr" and "SB" to keep your explanation more clear.

I assume you want to do a 5.1 setup for your main room and a Speaker B setup for a stereo setup (from the same input) in a separate room.

On the Manual SP Setup screen, did you change the Surr Back System to Speaker B, before you went to the Speaker Setting screen?

My Sandy Bridge Gaming/HTPC Build

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #3334 of 3525 Old 08-08-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4real View Post

When you say "side speakers" do you mean the "Surr" speakers as shown in the GUI?
Please use "Surr" and "SB" to keep your explanation more clear.

I assume you want to do a 5.1 setup for your main room and a Speaker B setup for a stereo setup (from the same input) in a separate room.

On the Manual SP Setup screen, did you change the Surr Back System to Speaker B, before you went to the Speaker Setting screen?

In "4A.1Surr Back System" w/Speaker B selected SB is grayed out and Surr is set to normal along with everything else incl. SP-B. And, the GUI has Surr. ( sides) which I don't have and desktop speakers but no pic of SBs. ( I know their pic exists in GUI) Then over in Speaker Setting the GUI has no SBs but does have Surr. And theres a listing for Surr and SB is grayed out. My rear speakers (SB) are plugged into the "Surround Back B" in back not the Surround Bank. And no B setup, just 5.1.
post #3335 of 3525 Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

For some reason, some people seem to think that "Surround" speakers (Right Rear, Left Rear) in a 5.1 system are supposed to be behind the viewer. Look at the THX spec, and any other legitimate 5.1 spec; they belong in the same plane as the viewer, no further back.

As for the whole "it says speaker B, but I can't select Speaker B, or SB or anything or whatever and stuff and whatnot", I know that the manual isn't the clearest thing ever written, but it's all there to read and digest. If you have the Surround Back (SB) speakers set up as "Speaker B", they're full-range only. There are no settings to change them to "Small" or "Large". RTFM, it will solve a LOT of issues.
post #3336 of 3525 Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

For some reason, some people seem to think that "Surround" speakers (Right Rear, Left Rear) in a 5.1 system are supposed to be behind the viewer. Look at the THX spec, and any other legitimate 5.1 spec; they belong in the same plane as the viewer, no further back.

As for the whole "it says speaker B, but I can't select Speaker B, or SB or anything or whatever and stuff and whatnot", I know that the manual isn't the clearest thing ever written, but it's all there to read and digest. If you have the Surround Back (SB) speakers set up as "Speaker B", they're full-range only. There are no settings to change them to "Small" or "Large". RTFM, it will solve a LOT of issues.

Yea, how could anyone think that speakers dubbed "rear" could be behind the listener. Reminds me of what Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn said, "I always go backwards when I"m backing up."
post #3337 of 3525 Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I know this thread is all but dead, but I recently started having an issue/problem with my VSX-21TXH, and I wanted to see if it was happening to anyone else. Yesterday and today the receiver just powered itself off, just during normal tv watching. Volume was at around -16db, so i was not exactly cranking it. It just did it about five minutes ago during viewing of a blu-ray; the receiver had been on about a half hour beforehand. I purchased the receiver almost exactly a year ago, so at least i'm still under warranty, but I'd rather not have to send it out for service.

Anyone else experience this issue? thanks!

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3338 of 3525 Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkan

You have forgotten to set the main volume to -79.5 dB

FAT32 does work!
Worked. Thanks. Ithis simplified instruction was solo helpful
post #3339 of 3525 Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I know this thread is all but dead, but I recently started having an issue/problem with my VSX-21TXH, and I wanted to see if it was happening to anyone else. Yesterday and today the receiver just powered itself off, just during normal tv watching. Volume was at around -16db, so i was not exactly cranking it. It just did it about five minutes ago during viewing of a blu-ray; the receiver had been on about a half hour beforehand. I purchased the receiver almost exactly a year ago, so at least i'm still under warranty, but I'd rather not have to send it out for service.

Anyone else experience this issue? thanks!

How is your grid poiwer in that area? Do other components turn off at the same time?
Is the receiver overheating?

My Sandy Bridge Gaming/HTPC Build

Cyrix PR166+ → AMD K6 200 → Intel Celeron 266 → AMD Athlon 1GHz → AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ → Intel i5-2500K
post #3340 of 3525 Old 08-19-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm using a 5.1 system with my 23. Is there a way to listen to stereo material in one of it's expanded modes that will use LFE/subwoofer for more bottom? It seems I have tried everything to no avail and the owners manual while helpful for some things doesen't help me here.
post #3341 of 3525 Old 08-20-2011, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4real View Post
How is your grid poiwer in that area? Do other components turn off at the same time?
Is the receiver overheating?
Thanks for the reply. I've never had too many problems with the power in my area, but I do have my 21TXH plugged into one of the high current outlets on my Panamax M-5100PM. No other components power off when the receiver shuts itself off. The receiver does (and always has) gotten warm when in use but never what I call "Onkyo hot," i.e. it seems normal. I don't think it's overheating. It has not happened any more than those two times but I have not been home much the past couple of days so it has not seen much use. In any case, i'm hoping it isn't indicative of something major.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #3342 of 3525 Old 08-20-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawphilly View Post
Worked. Thanks. Ithis simplified instruction was solo helpful
Welcome, glad it worked out.

Not sure why I had to format my card with 16, but that was the only change I made and it worked, weird. The volume thing didn't seem to be a necessary step, as I completely skipped over it and it worked.

Maybe it's either FAT or set volume.
post #3343 of 3525 Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aram535 View Post

Welcome, glad it worked out.

Not sure why I had to format my card with 16, but that was the only change I made and it worked, weird. The volume thing didn't seem to be a necessary step, as I completely skipped over it and it worked.

Maybe it's either FAT or set volume.

Yikes, spoke too soon I'm afraid. The firmware took, And the remote power on seems finally cured, but a weird new problem has arisen

When my Harmony One turns everything for a new activity (like Watch Tv, or Apple TV) it selects the right input initially on the VSX 21' but then at the end it switches ti HD Tuner (which is a analog component input) Bizarre and frustrating. I checked the harmony settings and nothing changed, an I even tried to redo the firmware update on the avr but it won't accept again (says 'file error' after I enter after 'file update=Yes'

It seems the avr is defaulting to this input at the end for some reason. When I hit 'help' on HArmony, the right input sticks, it's j ust the power on routine that is screwed up.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike
post #3344 of 3525 Old 08-21-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Yikes, spoke too soon I'm afraid. The firmware took, And the remote power on seems finally cured, but a weird new problem has arisen

When my Harmony One turns everything for a new activity (like Watch Tv, or Apple TV) it selects the right input initially on the VSX 21' but then at the end it switches ti HD Tuner (which is a analog component input) Bizarre and frustrating. I checked the harmony settings and nothing changed, an I even tried to redo the firmware update on the avr but it won't accept again (says 'file error' after I enter after 'file update=Yes'

It seems the avr is defaulting to this input at the end for some reason. When I hit 'help' on HArmony, the right input sticks, it's j ust the power on routine that is screwed up.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mike

That sounds like more of a stray code from the Harmony which every once in a while it does. You can try either deleting that activity and rebuilding it from scratch, if you don't have too many activities or components, or you can give them a call. They have edit capabilities over the stream and sometimes can see and fix erroneous codes.

As far as the file error, I think I read somewhere that you cannot downgrade the firmware. So the error you're getting is most likely looking at the version and seeing that it isn't a later version.

Aram
post #3345 of 3525 Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have look for about 3 days now and can not find a solution to my issue. I was hoping that the experts can help me. I have the VSX-21. I have a Tannoy self powered 12" Sub connected to it. I can not get it to work. I left for Iraq a year ago and just got back. It worked before I left. I tried the Small speaker in the front and Sub on. I did a reset of the system. I turned LFE Off. I can not think of anything else. I have looked all over the internet. I did notice that the little speaker boxes on the display are no longer on. I also can not figure out how to turn them on. The display used to show L,C,R,SR,SL, SW. Could this be the issue?

Thank you for your help.

-sean
post #3346 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post

I have look for about 3 days now and can not find a solution to my issue. I was hoping that the experts can help me. I have the VSX-21. I have a Tannoy self powered 12" Sub connected to it. I can not get it to work. I left for Iraq a year ago and just got back. It worked before I left. I tried the Small speaker in the front and Sub on. I did a reset of the system. I turned LFE Off. I can not think of anything else. I have looked all over the internet. I did notice that the little speaker boxes on the display are no longer on. I also can not figure out how to turn them on. The display used to show L,C,R,SR,SL, SW. Could this be the issue?

Thank you for your help.

-sean

Welcome back to US!
If your speaker box does not light up, maybe you are in Stereo 2.0 mode?? Try different speaker mode and see if you can get those "speaker box" light up. What source are you testing with? Try some reliable DVD/blu-ray that you know have 5.1 sound.
Make sure you set your speaker to "small". Also, try the different test tones in the setup and make sure you can hear all of them, including the sub-woofers. If you can, then at least you know the connection is good, and so your problem might be not selecting the right "mode". If you cannot, then you might have some loose connection, or it is not plugged in correctly... or the AVR just go dead...
post #3347 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM

Liked: 12
Thankyou for your quick response. I looked into the settings on DIRECTV and set it to Dolby. This changed the sound and now the little boxes on the receivers display light up. I turned off the LFE in the settings. For some reason the little box shows up LFE. The SW box still does not show up. Connection is good and Front speakers set to small.
BD:

DIRECTV:
post #3348 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aram535 View Post

That sounds like more of a stray code from the Harmony which every once in a while it does. You can try either deleting that activity and rebuilding it from scratch, if you don't have too many activities or components, or you can give them a call. They have edit capabilities over the stream and sometimes can see and fix erroneous codes.

As far as the file error, I think I read somewhere that you cannot downgrade the firmware. So the error you're getting is most likely looking at the version and seeing that it isn't a later version.

Aram

Thanks Aramaic
It must be in the avr because of the update as my avr seems to want to default to that input across the board. Unless anyone has a fix idea(?) I think the best I can do is add an additional input request at end of Harmony command string to bring it back to the proper input.

Anyone thing a total reset might hold the key?
post #3349 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks Aramaic
It must be in the avr because of the update as my avr seems to want to default to that input across the board. Unless anyone has a fix idea(?) I think the best I can do is add an additional input request at end of Harmony command string to bring it back to the proper input.

Anyone thing a total reset might hold the key?

Sorry Aram, iPad spelling autocorrect at it again.
post #3350 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post

Thankyou for your quick response. I looked into the settings on DIRECTV and set it to Dolby. This changed the sound and now the little boxes on the receivers display light up. I turned off the LFE in the settings. For some reason the little box shows up LFE. The SW box still does not show up. Connection is good and Front speakers set to small.
BD:

DIRECTV:

I just checked the manual.. There is no "SW" box. LFE is it..
If you have no output to your subwoofer, check to see if it "sleep"?
Also, I assume you select "Yes" or "Plus" in the SW setting, right?
Also, what's the crossover frequency? Try set it higher (like 100 or 150) to see if the subwoofer get kicked-in?
Also, does your subwoofer itself have cross-over set too low?
You should not set your LFE to be OFF. If you set to off, the LFE encoding will be "lost", and you won't hear much bass. You might still hear "some" bass from the normal Channel if you do redirection to SW, but there might not be much. In fact, you should check your LFE level and make sure it is not set to attenuate.
post #3351 of 3525 Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM

wassup guys, i will be moving my Audio/video equipment into a closet. is there a IR cable i can use for it?? it can be wired, at least 25 feet.
post #3352 of 3525 Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkman23 View Post

wassup guys, i will be moving my Audio/video equipment into a closet. is there a IR cable i can use for it?? it can be wired, at least 25 feet.

Page 35 of the Owner's Manual would likely be a good place to start researching this question.
post #3353 of 3525 Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 PM

For the record, it seems the firmware update, or the way I dd the update, caused a glitch in my receiver where it does default to my analog inputs for my Sony hd tuner. Strange, annoying but at least the remote powers on the avr.
post #3354 of 3525 Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I have had my 21 for just about 3 years and the other night my wife powered off the receiver, cable box and Sony tv with the Harmony one. Now, I can't get the 21 to turn on. In the trouble shooting section it says to unplug and replug but no luck with that. Anybody else have issues like that?
post #3355 of 3525 Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:

For the record, it seems the firmware update, or the way I dd the update, caused a glitch in my receiver where it does default to my analog inputs for my Sony hd tuner. Strange, annoying but at least the remote powers on the avr.

So.... Seems the firmware update restored KuroLink to On, I switched it off and poof, the 21 stopped it's bad behavior with the input issue.
post #3356 of 3525 Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Liked: 16
I'm having this problem with the audio volume in my center channel. Sometimes during movies or tv the dialogue gets lower to the point where I'm increasing the vol.

It never did this before... and I remember someone writing the same problem a while back?
post #3357 of 3525 Old 09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So.... Seems the firmware update restored KuroLink to On, I switched it off and poof, the 21 stopped it's bad behavior with the input issue.

I was going to suggest Kurolink, but I had no idea it could cause the receiver to switch to an analog input. Glad to hear it's fixed!
post #3358 of 3525 Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Question: I have been updating and adding new components over the past year and each time, it seems there is a small adjustment I need to make to my HT.

The latest addition is a Samsung LED, which is internet capable. Seeing as it is more convenient to stream from the TV, than my bluray, I moved the hard internet connection to the TV (besides, my bluray can still do wireless).

WhenI did that, I realized that I did not have any way to input audio directly from the TV to the receiver. To remedy this problem, I went with the only option I have, which is run a Toslink cable from the TV to the receiver (the port dedicated to TV/Sat).

Anyway, I have a fairly simple question. With my other components (i.e., bluray and sat box), the receiver automatically turns off the tv volume. That does not appear to be the case with my toslink connection.

Is there an option somewhere that can be adjusted for this?
post #3359 of 3525 Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski View Post

I'm using a 5.1 system with my 23. Is there a way to listen to stereo material in one of it's expanded modes that will use LFE/subwoofer for more bottom? It seems I have tried everything to no avail and the owners manual while helpful for some things doesen't help me here.

I don't visit this thread very often so I just saw this, if you are still here maybe this will be of help.
Go into the SYSTEM SETUP menu.
Select MANUAL SP SETUP.
Set all the speakers to small and SW to YES.
Set the crossover frequency to 80 Hz.
You will need to re-run MCAAC.
In the ADVANCED MCAAC menu select KEEP SPEAKER SETTINGS then run the MCAAC.
This will send the bass that is 80Hz and lower to the sub in all of the sound modes.
If you already have these setting change the front main speakers to LARGE and the SW to PLUS.
This will send the bass that is 80Hz and lower to the sub and the front main speakers in all of the sound modes.

Regards,
Charlie

post #3360 of 3525 Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 View Post

Anyway, I have a fairly simple question. With my other components (i.e., bluray and sat box), the receiver automatically turns off the tv volume. That does not appear to be the case with my toslink connection.

Is there an option somewhere that can be adjusted for this?

No, not in the AVR. Optical in is just that, a one way channel to the AVR. Yes, the mute button on the TV or turn the volume down is the only way I know.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page