Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steckler View Post

Hello, hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having because I'm stumped.
I have a PC outputting video via a DVI to HDMI cable, and audio via digital optical to a VSX-21TXH receiver.
The proper video and audio connections are selected on the Pioneer's home menu.
When I select the proper input and the home menu is on I get audio but when the menu is off and only the PC video signal is displayed there is no audio.
My guess is that when it is displaying the video it is defaulting to embedded audio over HDMI, which is not present.
Is there a way to change the setting for that input so it plays the audio from digital optical instead? (I have the proper optical input selected in the home menu but it is not working.)
I don't want to disable audio over HDMI globally because I have a blu-ray player connected and I would like to use the HDMI audio from it.
Thanks in advance, I'm sure the answer is simple but I sure don't have it!

Hi Derek Steckler, on the remote press "Receiver" and then press "Signal Sel" button a few times to cycle it to "Digital".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much, that did it! I figured it was something simple.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Derek Steckler, on the remote press "Receiver" and then press "Signal Sel" button a few times to cycle it to "Digital".
Well done, I was unaware of this.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 PM

One more question, when I select Auto Surround on a stereo source the sound is tinny with very little bass. This is from both analog and digital sources. PCM Direct or Analog Direct sound much better.
I executed the auto MCACC function which seems to have worked properly but I'm having this one issue. Is there a quick fix for this that does not require hours of manually setting up everything? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I bounced around between Auto/Direct for a long time and finally settled on using the Front Align calibration and Auto for everything.
I have not used this but if you really want to understand what is going on in your room and try to correct it there is a free software called REW available from Home Theater Shack http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/ and http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/downloads-area/
There is nothing wrong with liking The way Direct sounds better than the way the calibration sounds.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

You will need a phono preamp for the turntable.
Connect the turntable to the amp, connect the amp to the CD input.

Thank you, Chashint (Charlie), for the reply. I've placed an order for a phone preamp and look forward to playing some old albums we came across lately.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P46G10 View Post

Thank you, Chashint (Charlie), for the reply. I've placed an order for a phone preamp and look forward to playing some old albums we came across lately.

I abandoned the turntable over 15 years ago, let me know what you think about the experience.

Regards,
Charlie

Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM

I hope I’m not resurrecting a dead thread…I have the VSX 21THX receiver, and for years had my setup as a “phantom center” whereas I used the front mains to generate the center channel as well. I’m wanting to experiment with using a physical center speaker, which I hooked up today, and I’m trying to utilize the Center Width & center image features, but I don’t see either option when I scroll through the audio parameters. Is there a certain setting I have to have the receiver in to be able to use these features?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM

I have a bit of an issue with DirecTV channels which do not put out a DD signal. Sometimes, when I switch from a channel with DD output to one with without (usually SD vs HD channels) I will get no sound. I can switch to a different source and back and that gets the sound back. I'm connected from the DirecTV box to the receiver via HDMI. Not the end of the world, but an annoyance. Any ideas of what is going on and a fix?

Thanks
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post

I have a bit of an issue with DirecTV channels which do not put out a DD signal. Sometimes, when I switch from a channel with DD output to one with without (usually SD vs HD channels) I will get no sound. I can switch to a different source and back and that gets the sound back. I'm connected from the DirecTV box to the receiver via HDMI. Not the end of the world, but an annoyance. Any ideas of what is going on and a fix?

Thanks

Anyone? Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Anyone? Any ideas?

Hi santiclaws, try using optical cable.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Anyone? Any ideas?
I had the same issues, I think it is just a bad handshake with the audio, I have not had this issue since upgrading my DirecTV receiver from an HR22 to the HR44 genie

| Panasonic TC-P60ST60 | Pioneer Elite SC-81 | Sony PlayStation 3 | Sony PlayStation 4 | DirecTV HR44 Genie |
Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Santiclaws:

This unit has issues with the HDMI handshake. Sometimes I'll get sound but it blinks "HDMI ERROR" on its display. I just cycle through different inputs and then it locks in. I've just learned to live with it...

JD

"We've got to get in to get out..."
Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 AM

I figured it was the handshake issue, but I was hoping there was a solution. I'll live with it. Thanks, guys.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 AM

I have a few questions about “pure direct” – the manual saysit’s for analog sources, but when I engage it from a digital source, it soundsvastly different from the direct setting. Should this be? Also, if I’m usingPure Direct, does the receiver still keep the channel volumes & distancesettings?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 AM

Does anyone know what the latest firmware version is for these receivers? I updated to 1.054 using the link in this thread but wanted to ensure it was the latest available, even if I were to have Pioneer do it. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 PM

I'm using HDMI-CEC with my VSX-23THX. One frustrating thing is it always defaults to the TV input on the receiver, not HDMI1 which is where I actually have my receiver.

I thought this was just pretty standard at first until I discovered my parent's non-Pioneer receiver can change the default HDMI-CDC input that gets chosen when the TV turns on. Is there any way to change the default input used when the TV handshakes with the receiver for the VSX-23 as well?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
Well, I bought a used VSX-23 to replace my SC-1222k, I just don't like how the digital amps sound with my 6ohm wharfedales. I moved away from a 92txh and I sure missed the sound, soooooooooooooooooo much better with the older amps.

GamerTag= Phaleronic
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Well, I bought a used VSX-23 to replace my SC-1222k, I just don't like how the digital amps sound with my 6ohm wharfedales. I moved away from a 92txh and I sure missed the sound, soooooooooooooooooo much better with the older amps.
I meant to say that I'm really liking the VSX-23, I picked up a nearly new one for $350.

GamerTag= Phaleronic
Old Today, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a PS4 and generally very annoyed that it has zero support for harmony remotes, or any remotes for that matter. I plan on replacing my PS3 with the PS4 and my use case is gaming, streaming video and blu-ray movies. Navigating a movie with the DS4 sounds awful, especially when I have a Harmony One.

The one solution I've heard about is using HDMI-CEC. I know my Panny Plasma supports this (Viera-Link), but I'm not sure if my VSX-21 AVR does, which the PS4 would be connected through.

Does anyone know if the VSX-21 supports HDMI-CEC or alternatively will passthrough such a signal from my TV to the PS4?

Thanks!

Last edited by smack518; Today at 09:05 AM. Reason: Subscribing to thread.