*Official* Pioneer Elite VSX-21/23THX Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3525 Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whenever I setup the front speaker to small i don't able to choose that I have a Sub-woofer kind of disable is that Normal?? . but if I leave the speaker as large then the Sub in enabled

any idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumSuperman View Post

You're seeing PCM because the PS3 is decoding the audio and sending it to the receiver. You can change the settings on the PS3 to bistream the audio to the receiver to have it do the decoding. Then, you would see the format display on the receiver. One thing to mention, though, is that if you don't have the PS3 Slim then it can't bistream the HD audio codecs. Only the PS3 Slim bitstreams the lossless audio codecs.

I did set my PS3 slim in bitstreams with Dolby True HD selected under music setting but my VSX 21 still display input signal as PCM. The BD movie shows that it should have Dolby True HD. Can someone help me to solve this puzzle?

Thanks
post #453 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

One more thing JB, I think there are settings on the back of the Amp, that need to be set to Trigger, so check that as well.

Edit: I looked at the manual and saw no settings for trigger on the back of the UPA 7 or XPA-5 Amps. I also own a Anthem PVA 7 which has those settings. So If you are sure you have set each input set to trigger, and are using a mono 12V cable (which I was told must be used) from the reciever to the Amp, this should work. I can't imagine the XPA-5 needing any more juice than the UPA 7.

Nelson:

Thanks, this at least helps me narrow it down to determining whether or not it is a settings issue - knowing that somebody is triggering an emotiva with their receiver is at least a step in the right direction. I will try to play around with those a bit more and see if I am missing someting. I am pretty sure I have it correct, but I will dig back in and see - I don't think there is anything on the back of the amp that needs to be set though - I'm pretty sure that is good to go.

ccotenj - Pioneer did write back and said they were mistaken - they were indeed referring to the 50mA rating, not the volts and said to check the required amperage, not the required voltage.....

Also,
post #454 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb77k View Post

Nelson:

Thanks, this at least helps me narrow it down to determining whether or not it is a settings issue - knowing that somebody is triggering an emotiva with their receiver is at least a step in the right direction. I will try to play around with those a bit more and see if I am missing someting. I am pretty sure I have it correct, but I will dig back in and see - I don't think there is anything on the back of the amp that needs to be set though - I'm pretty sure that is good to go.

ccotenj - Pioneer did write back and said they were mistaken - they were indeed referring to the 50mA rating, not the volts and said to check the required amperage, not the required voltage.....

Also,

JB I'm confident that its just a setup issue. You just want to make sure you have you have your inputs and your audio settings matched properly and your trigger set to MAIN on each input as you go down the setup menu.

For example my Satellite Box is setup: Input=TV/SAT, Trigger 1=MAIN.
My Pio BD 320 is setup: Input-BD, Trigger 1=MAIN.
My Pio BD 23 is setup: Input-HDMI 1, Trigger 1=MAIN
MY Pio DV 59AVi is setup: Input-DVD, Trigger 1=MAIN

Hope you get it going properly, I'm finding the VSX-23 combined with Emo amp to be a truly enjoyable combination. I previously had an Anthem AVM 30 pre/pro with the UPA-7, and was reluctant to pull it out, but the VSX-23 has not disappointed, and I do not miss the Anthem like I thought I would.
post #455 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai01 View Post

I did set my PS3 slim in bitstreams with Dolby True HD selected under music setting but my VSX 21 still display input signal as PCM. The BD movie shows that it should have Dolby True HD. Can someone help me to solve this puzzle?

Thanks

did you go into the menu of the movie itself and ensure that you are selecting the correct codec?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #456 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

did you go into the menu of the movie itself and ensure that you are selecting the correct codec?

Yes. I did. I shall try other BD movies with HD audio output and see if it has the same issue. Just want to make sure that I did the right settings in PS3 and see if other 21 and PS3 slim owners can display the HD signal in the receiver.
post #457 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 AM

anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB107 View Post

How are these models different than Pioneer VSX-LX52 being offered in Europe & Asia. Is LX52 same as 23TXH. Then 21TXH fills a gap for which there are no models in Europe & Asia

Elites start with LX52 in Asia and is a big jump from 1019. 21TXH sits in nicely between the 2. Is there a comparable model for Asia or that we have been left with a void.

RB

post #458 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

With the Pio 21, using Comcast digital cable, all my HD is heard in 5.1 as expected. But with standard programming, in Dolby Surround, I'm getting only "Stereo," with no center channel.
When I ran the same cable through my old Marantz receiver, I didn't have this problem. Any suggestions?

thanks, Al
post #459 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 AM

I have a Pioneer VSX-21 and I want to play music off of my iPod connected in front via USB but play Playstation or Xbox. How do I switch it so I can listen to the music while playing the consoles???

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Thanks,
Justin
post #460 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai01 View Post

Thanks

I was responding to ajmasala originally who was having the same problem, but I would re-check your PS3 settings. Go to Settings -> Video Settings -> BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) and make sure you select Bitstream.
post #461 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digrazzz View Post

I have a Pioneer VSX-21 and I want to play music off of my iPod connected in front via USB but play Playstation or Xbox. How do I switch it so I can listen to the music while playing the consoles???

I am wondering if this is possible, too. The only way I can think of that it would be possible would be to use an HDMI splitter. Does anyone else have ideas?
post #462 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM

nolanski: I'm also coming from a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver and debating whether to get this receiver. I have B&W DM602 S3 7.1 surround and interested in seeing your thoughts on the amp sound differences.
post #463 of 3525 Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

yea connect the ipod to the system (xbox or ps3) instead!!
post #464 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

yea connect the ipod to the system (xbox or ps3) instead!!

Hi David-
thanks for the suggestion however I should be able to hear audio from once source while wacthing another? Does anyone know how to accomplish this with the pineer elite vsx-21? I can turn off the tv and listen so one would conclude that the sound source input is seperate from that of the video. Therefore, how can I leave the xbox on hdmi 2 but listen to my iPod on iPod/Usb (I think that's the button).

Thanks people!!!

Thanks,
Justin
post #465 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 04:58 AM

Good day,

I am not so impressed with the sound from the Klipsch F-1 front speakers, it is very bright and had almost no bass. I can't get the depth sound I was looking for.

digging deep in the internet I come out with some Idea,
1- The Pioneer Receiver is not recommended for klipsch speakers (I have Pioneer elite vsx-21txh) I believe it's a good receiver.

2-The speaker need a break in time ??

I don't know if I need to change some sitting in the receiver itself or what to do? any advice will really help .

thanks
post #466 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
or...

3 - the speakers are exhibiting the sonic characteristics that they are known for...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #467 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefly View Post

Dave 41200; Here is a link to the 9040 on the US Pioneer website. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...TXH.Shop?tab=B
I have never seen any in the stores to check them out. Specs looks similar to a VSX 21 to me, with a one year warranty, instead of the two year Elite warranty.

You are quite right, VSX9040 is the non-elite equivalent of VSX21. I have compared both 9040 and 1019, the sound quality difference is significant. Although their features and processing chips are very similar if not the same, the amplifier section and power supply certainly differ. The 10 lbs variation in weight can speak for itself.

9040 tends to produce much deeper, punchier and powerful sound even at low volume which I missed in 1019. It depends on the price difference and your SQ requirements to make the choice but what I can say is, the sonic improvement of 9040 over 1019 definitely worth the exact buck.

post #468 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 AM

I am looking for a cost effective solution to have an AV system that has the ability for Wi Fi connection to Internet for video and audio streaming (Youtube, Netflix, Int. Radio/Pandora etc). I have been searching around for sometime, and need help on this forum for advice. I like the VSX-23 but it does not offer networking capability. The SC-25 has it though it does not support Pandora from brochure (someone please verify this) but costs a lot more(~$500). There are a few blue ray disc players that offer such capability for less than $250. Still, there are some digital media receivers you can buy to do that with your existing AV system.

My questions are: which route would be the logic way to do it? What trade-off will it be if you go for blue ray disc player with VSX-23 vs SC-25? What trade-off will it be if you just buy a digital media receiver. TIA
post #469 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

or...

3 - the speakers are exhibiting the sonic characteristics that they are known for...

You are right, it could be.
post #470 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooqo View Post

You are right, it could be.

I like Klipsch but only a fan of the Reference series of speakers.
post #471 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Hi David-
thanks for the suggestion however I should be able to hear audio from once source while wacthing another? Does anyone know how to accomplish this with the pineer elite vsx-21? I can turn off the tv and listen so one would conclude that the sound source input is seperate from that of the video. Therefore, how can I leave the xbox on hdmi 2 but listen to my iPod on iPod/Usb (I think that's the button).

Thanks people!!!

Putting this Dograzz's question up there again as I'm interested too.
My understanding was that input selection was locked up on audio and video source. True? I'd like to watch the Eagles on the plasma while I listen to the local commentators on the radio.
1. Any ideas?
2. PS - know where can I buy a 12v trigger to link my 21 to my amp? Monoprice and Radio Shack don't have 'em...
post #472 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoss View Post

Putting this Dograzz's question up there again as I'm interested too.
My understanding was that input selection was locked up on audio and video source. True? I'd like to watch the Eagles on the plasma while I listen to the local commentators on the radio.
1. Any ideas?
2. PS - know where can I buy a 12v trigger to link my 21 to my amp? Monoprice and Radio Shack don't have 'em...

On question 2. If you're inclined to DIY try this

-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #473 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

On question 2. If you're inclined to DIY try this

-DIY 12VDC Trigger for switching by mrgribbles and circuit diagrams by decoupe

I built one of these (not using the suggested plans, which would have been helpful) for about $15-20. It works like a charm and turns on my exhaust fans when my 21 is on. It is a great DIY that is not very hard and take nearly no electrical experience. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
post #474 of 3525 Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

An easy solution would seem to be connect the xbox directly to tv, play music through receiver, switch tv to hdmi2.

KRP-500M
Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH
post #475 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc4life View Post

I built one of these (not using the suggested plans, which would have been helpful) for about $15-20. It works like a charm and turns on my exhaust fans when my 21 is on. It is a great DIY that is not very hard and take nearly no electrical experience. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

You guys make me feel electronically challenged. I did see this in the Shack catalog.
Do you think this will do the job of a 12v trigger?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102949

What do you think? Thanks.
Mike
post #476 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Guys, on the VSX-23 how hot does it run? My 1014 run hot as hell at times. Is the VSX-23 a Level 6 receiver?
post #477 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoss View Post

You guys make me feel electronically challenged. I did see this in the Shack catalog.
Do you think this will do the job of a 12v trigger?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102949

What do you think? Thanks.
Mike

If all you need is the wire to run from the 12v trigger on the Pio to the 12v trigger input on your amp, you should get the same thing, but a mono cable. Some amps seem to have an issue with stereo cables for some reason.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102950

I thought your amp did not have trigger input.
post #478 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

JB I'm confident that its just a setup issue. You just want to make sure you have you have your inputs and your audio settings matched properly and your trigger set to MAIN on each input as you go down the setup menu.

For example my Satellite Box is setup: Input=TV/SAT, Trigger 1=MAIN.
My Pio BD 320 is setup: Input-BD, Trigger 1=MAIN.
My Pio BD 23 is setup: Input-HDMI 1, Trigger 1=MAIN
MY Pio DV 59AVi is setup: Input-DVD, Trigger 1=MAIN

Hope you get it going properly, I'm finding the VSX-23 combined with Emo amp to be a truly enjoyable combination. I previously had an Anthem AVM 30 pre/pro with the UPA-7, and was reluctant to pull it out, but the VSX-23 has not disappointed, and I do not miss the Anthem like I thought I would.

Thanks Nelson - I am going to play with this a bit over the weekend and see if I can figure it out. I am extremely pleased with the combo of the 23 and the XPA-5 right now and am not sure how it would compare to just running my speakers with the 23's amp - but all my speakers are 4 ohm, so I figured better safe than sorry and bought the XPA-5 - I guess if I can't get the trigger to work, it isn't THAT big of a deal - I mean, at least everything is working. But it would sure be nice not to have to get up and turn the amp on all the time.

By the way - are you using a mono or a stereo cable? I am thinking of checking the cable with a voltmeter to see if it is outputting anything after I play with the settings a bit more.... I'll report back with progress after the weekend.

Thanks,
JB
post #479 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc4life View Post

If all you need is the wire to run from the 12v trigger on the Pio to the 12v trigger input on your amp, you should get the same thing, but a mono cable. Some amps seem to have an issue with stereo cables for some reason.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102950

I thought your amp did not have trigger input.

Thanks!
post #480 of 3525 Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhferry View Post

Guys, on the VSX-23 how hot does it run? My 1014 run hot as hell at times. Is the VSX-23 a Level 6 receiver?

I had a 1019 for like a day or two, which I returned for a VSX-23. The 1019 got HOT, where my VSX-23 just gets warm or what I'd consider normal. I feel much more confident in my 23 than that 1019 in that respect with its possible longevity. I've been really analyzing the heat of my components and installing cabinetry cooling devices, so the feedback is coming from a pretty critical view.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page