post #3121 of 3212 Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

With all the speakers in the ceiling, Trinnov is not going to be able to do much in the way of 3D speaker placement correction. 2D yes...but not 3D.

I suspect as much as well, but will try it anyway…minor improvements in placement and imaging go a long way when your mind is trying to correlate sound with a visual cue. At the primary viewing position, sound from the LCRs do appear to come from the screen rather than from the ceiling… now, if I take two steps toward the screen, the sound if VERY clearly coming from overhead, so who knows what trinnov might be able to do. I look at it this way… If the REQ is decent, and the 2D mapping does anything positive its a win… any 3D mapping benefit would be icing in my case. I need a second receiver anyway since I've got 5.1 in the backyard as well. I doubt any of the REQ systems will be fully effective with ceiling speakers, so for $599, figured there was not much to lose.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3212 Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
An easy experiment is to put a center speaker below the TV instead of using the center in-ceiling speaker. Dialogue will be anchored firmly on the screen. The result may be worthwhile.

Jeff
post #3123 of 3212 Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

An easy experiment is to put a center speaker below the TV instead of using the center in-ceiling speaker. Dialogue will be anchored firmly on the screen. The result may be worthwhile.

Jeff

I could also route the center channel to the TV's stereo inputs and use the TV speakers, but I'd still be out of luck for when I care (watching a movie with the projector). The difficulty with center placement is one of convenience… the TV is in the typically abhorrent 'over the fireplace' arrangement for everyday viewing… mounted on an exterior shear-wall with a concrete fireplace surround (i.e. no in-wall option, and no aesthetically friendly on-wall or floor standing option). The only way to really do what you suggest (other than just a test… which I'm sure trinnov does what it claims, so not sure why I'd do it) would be to haul a center channel out of the closet when I want to watch a movie… put it on a stand below the screen and enjoy. More hassle = fewer movies, so I went the in-ceiling route. Trust me, I'd love to have a proper setup… have had it in the past and loved it… current living space and situation do not allow it. Looking forward to playing with the EQ and 2D remapping though.

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3124 of 3212 Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I well understand. I have the same fireplace issue but we never have a fire in that room so I have a dedicated stand-mounted center channel on the hearth

Jeff
post #3125 of 3212 Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have been looking for a 972 on the used market and havent had any luck, if anyone happens to find one please send me a PM.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #3126 of 3212 Old 03-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

I have been looking for a 972 on the used market and havent had any luck, if anyone happens to find one please send me a PM.

There's a guy on craiglist in austin selling an "Inkel A./V Receiver with Trinnov" that sounds an awful like a Sherwood. Not endorsing or anything just found it a few weeks ago.
post #3127 of 3212 Old 03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

I bought a second unit in December as a backup, so PM sent.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #3128 of 3212 Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

My open box unit I bought last week from A4L arrived damaged (the box is fine, so I suspect they never inspected/tested a customer return). Ugh.

edit: I feel like I must be missing something simple, but there is basically very little response from the system... I reset to factory defaults, but there is absolutely no response to a press of the 'setup', 'monitor' or 'display' buttons (connected hdmi to a LG 55LHX). Am able to initiate the 'test tone' from the remote, but no sound from speakers as the unit's display cycles through the speaker 'indicators' during the test tone sequence. The speakers work fine, and were just disconnected from another sherwood product (r-904n) prior to hooking up the r-972. So frustrated, as it appears to be the EXACT same problem that a poster over on the HT shack had with his unit from A4L. Extremely pissed at the thought they may have just 'drop shipped' a defective return... I tell myself that makes no sense though, as they'd be stuck with all the shipping charges. Unless... the only test they perform is a power up... it does power up, and that is about it.

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3129 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

success! if you can call it that wink.gif

looks like the problem is rough handling during shipping. After talking to Sherwood CS and A4L, I opened up the chassis and inspected. The ribbon cable to the front panel was only 2/3 inserted and the HDMI board was completely unseated from the main board. Reseating both solved the problems. Must have been dropped pretty hard to cause that kind of damage… the box appeared fine, but the styrofoam packaging (upon closer inspection) has some clear crushing/cracks (clearly been dropped). A4L is filing a shipping claim, and it is basically up to me if I want to keep it (with a bit of $ refunded by A4L). Still waiting for confirmation from Sherwood that they'd honor the 3yr warranty. May just end up keeping it…

Anyway, ran the autocal and trinnov had no problem locating all 7.1 speakers and all distances/angles looked good. The only real surprising measurements were the crossovers and levels. all channels were between -13dB and -17dB measured. Is this an expected measurement due to distance to the mic (> ~4m)? Also, the -6dB points were higher than I was expecting (~135Hz on average). This is much higher than the DefTech-recommended xover for the speakers (60-80Hz). I'm assuming this has to do with room modes… would that be a good assumption? If so, would taming those with PEQ between the source and r-972 help with trinnov and lower the x-overs?

Even with those surprises, things sound really good with movies (have not listened critically to music yet). As expected, the 3D remap does nothing for an in-ceiling setup, but 2D remap does make a minor, but noticeable difference (I think for the better). I prefer the Audiophile 2 setting with 2D remap… overall, a significant improvement to the basic REQ in the r-904n (which is now going to backyard duty).

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3130 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri View Post

success! if you can call it that wink.gif

looks like the problem is rough handling during shipping. After talking to Sherwood CS and A4L, I opened up the chassis and inspected. The ribbon cable to the front panel was only 2/3 inserted and the HDMI board was completely unseated from the main board. Reseating both solved the problems. Must have been dropped pretty hard to cause that kind of damage… the box appeared fine, but the styrofoam packaging (upon closer inspection) has some clear crushing/cracks (clearly been dropped). A4L is filing a shipping claim, and it is basically up to me if I want to keep it (with a bit of $ refunded by A4L). Still waiting for confirmation from Sherwood that they'd honor the 3yr warranty. May just end up keeping it…

Anyway, ran the autocal and trinnov had no problem locating all 7.1 speakers and all distances/angles looked good. The only real surprising measurements were the crossovers and levels. all channels were between -13dB and -17dB measured. Is this an expected measurement due to distance to the mic (> ~4m)? Also, the -6dB points were higher than I was expecting (~135Hz on average). This is much higher than the DefTech-recommended xover for the speakers (60-80Hz). I'm assuming this has to do with room modes… would that be a good assumption? If so, would taming those with PEQ between the source and r-972 help with trinnov and lower the x-overs?

Even with those surprises, things sound really good with movies (have not listened critically to music yet). As expected, the 3D remap does nothing for an in-ceiling setup, but 2D remap does make a minor, but noticeable difference (I think for the better). I prefer the Audiophile 2 setting with 2D remap… overall, a significant improvement to the basic REQ in the r-904n (which is now going to backyard duty).

Glad to hear it worked out....and that AC4L stepped up and took some responsibility. I'd take the unit through a test drive within the return period and make sure that everything else is working to your taste (and of course, that you like the Trinnov cal).

Speaking of which....at least in my system (DefTech Mythos ST, CS8080-HD center, Gem XL surrounds), the levels you're seeing aren't too far off for the db range from what I get (speakers within 4 db of one another). As to the crossovers, DefTech is notorious for having ambitious crossover settings vs. real world conditions. Even with my towers, I almost always get crossovers in the 65 to 80 Hz range with Trinnov, and unless have my center built-in sub trim amped just enough, I'll get center channel crossover closer to 150 Hz because of a 90 Hz room mode. In your case, being in-wall (I think that's what you said) is going to also give you reduced bass, so I'm not surprised that you're getting such high crossovers.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3131 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Glad to hear it worked out....and that AC4L stepped up and took some responsibility. I'd take the unit through a test drive within the return period and make sure that everything else is working to your taste (and of course, that you like the Trinnov cal).

Speaking of which....at least in my system (DefTech Mythos ST, CS8080-HD center, Gem XL surrounds), the levels you're seeing aren't too far off for the db range from what I get (speakers within 4 db of one another). As to the crossovers, DefTech is notorious for having ambitious crossover settings vs. real world conditions. Even with my towers, I almost always get crossovers in the 65 to 80 Hz range with Trinnov, and unless have my center built-in sub trim amped just enough, I'll get center channel crossover closer to 150 Hz because of a 90 Hz room mode. In your case, being in-wall (I think that's what you said) is going to also give you reduced bass, so I'm not surprised that you're getting such high crossovers.

Thanks… yeah, I suspected the DT specs were a bit optimistic (spec'd 40 Hz x-over for my LCRs), but it is a LOOOOONG way from 40Hz to 150Hz where sub localization is concerned wink.gif Any thoughts on tuning the inputs to the R-972 with some PEQ (e.g. with the nanoavr… keeping it HDMI so trinnov is still applied)… -15dB to -12dB is as high as I go on volume, so I have a little flexibility with level trimming the inputs I think.

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3132 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks… yeah, I suspected the DT specs were a bit optimistic (spec'd 40 Hz x-over for my LCRs), but it is a LOOOOONG way from 40Hz to 150Hz where sub localization is concerned wink.gif Any thoughts on tuning the inputs to the R-972 with some PEQ (e.g. with the nanoavr… keeping it HDMI so trinnov is still applied)… -15dB to -12dB is as high as I go on volume, so I have a little flexibility with level trimming the inputs I think.

You could use the NanoAVR to cut peaks, but I wouldn't use it for boosting any dips to avoid overdriving your speakers, especially in the low bass frequencies. The MiniDSP folks caution to keep boosts to +6 db with a Q of 1 or less, which may be too broad for your purposes, and in general, you'll find that using boosts with REQ is a controversial subject. For conventional speakers, you could experiment with placement to see if different placement options will give you higher crossovers, but with built-in wall units, that's less practical. FWIW I think I've seen similar issues raised with Audyssey and wall-in speakers, so it's hardly a unique problem.

Keep in mind that between-channel volume on the R-972's Trinnov cal is relative; it's less the absolute volume as the spread of volumes between the channels that's meaningful, to achieve optimal gain structure by having the channels as close to equal levels as possible in order to avoid losing dynamic range. And you'd need independent measuring gear (a USB mic such as the UMIK-1, along with REW) to make the NanoAVR a practical direction.

As to whether "pre-EQing" an HDMI signal before running Trinnov is a good idea, I think it would be difficult to pull off well, since the Nano's really designed as a standalone solution that provides bass management, delay, crossovers, low/high pass filters etc. before applying EQ. How well that will interact with what Trinnov's doing for the mains and choice of crossovers is questionable. You might be able to "EQ" each channel as full range, not do any matrix routing/bass management, and get away with very limited EQ, but whether that works in practice I would check with Curt.

There's another issue, which is that you'd need to have the source device provide surround sound processing and convert the material to LPCM before running to the Nano. That's OK if you intend to play the source as is (e.g. a movie that's got a DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack, such as The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) but will be limiting if you want to use the Sherwood to upmix a native 5.1 signal to 6.1 or 7.1, or stereo to 5.1/7.1.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3133 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You could use the NanoAVR to cut peaks, but I wouldn't use it for boosting any dips to avoid overdriving your speakers, especially in the low bass frequencies. The MiniDSP folks caution to keep boosts to +6 db with a Q of 1 or less, which may be too broad for your purposes, and in general, you'll find that using boosts with REQ is a controversial subject. For conventional speakers, you could experiment with placement to see if different placement options will give you higher crossovers, but with built-in wall units, that's less practical. FWIW I think I've seen similar issues raised with Audyssey and wall-in speakers, so it's hardly a unique problem.

Keep in mind that between-channel volume on the R-972's Trinnov cal is relative; it's less the absolute volume as the spread of volumes between the channels that's meaningful, to achieve optimal gain structure by having the channels as close to equal levels as possible in order to avoid losing dynamic range. And you'd need independent measuring gear (a USB mic such as the UMIK-1, along with REW) to make the NanoAVR a practical direction.

As to whether "pre-EQing" an HDMI signal before running Trinnov is a good idea, I think it would be difficult to pull off well, since the Nano's really designed as a standalone solution that provides bass management, delay, crossovers, low/high pass filters etc. before applying EQ. How well that will interact with what Trinnov's doing for the mains and choice of crossovers is questionable. You might be able to "EQ" each channel as full range, not do any matrix routing/bass management, and get away with very limited EQ, but whether that works in practice I would check with Curt.

There's another issue, which is that you'd need to have the source device provide surround sound processing and convert the material to LPCM before running to the Nano. That's OK if you intend to play the source as is (e.g. a movie that's got a DTS-HD 7.1 soundtrack, such as The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) but will be limiting if you want to use the Sherwood to upmix a native 5.1 signal to 6.1 or 7.1, or stereo to 5.1/7.1.

Thanks… all good points (most of which I was aware of, but some I had forgotten!). If I go that direction, I was planning on doing exactly as you suggest (knocking down peaks, maybe using a shelf cut filter if appropriate) with the sole purpose of trading some headroom for a lower x-over. seems like lots of expense (almost as much for nanoavr and umik as I paid for the R-972). LPCM is not a problem, but loss of up mix would be disappointing… whether it is more disappointing than the bit of sub localization is another question… all about tradeoffs and budget wink.gif

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3134 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

LPCM is not a problem, but loss of up mix would be disappointing… whether it is more disappointing than the bit of sub localization is another question… all about tradeoffs and budget wink.gif

Just to clarify: you can upmix a straight, unEQ'd (really: uncorrected) LPCM signal. Upmixing an EQ'd LPCM signal is more of a problem because of where the EQ, delay, crossovers etc. are applied.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3135 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Isn't the sub range also used to calculate the crossover point. From the r-972 trinnov application notes:

"(6) Bass Management Auto Crossover – The crossover frequency will be determined by the midpoint between the lower roll-off of the Sats and high roll-off of the Sub(s). If the crossover seems too low, it’s because your Sats have lower extension, and your Sub may be low passed (cabinet or filter). To raise crossover, raise or turn off the low pass filter on your Sub and retry the Cal. Note: The higher the crossover, the more SPL your system will handle. The lower the crossover, the less localization of bass. In the case of wide bandwidth Subwoofers- going beyond 300Hz, the auto level calibration may not function correctly, producing strange results in the level calculation."

Not sure what the high roll off of your sub is, but you may want to consider engaging or lowering the low-pass filter. Obviously being careful to not leave a hole in overall system FR by going too low.
post #3136 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

Isn't the sub range also used to calculate the crossover point. From the r-972 trinnov application notes:

"(6) Bass Management Auto Crossover – The crossover frequency will be determined by the midpoint between the lower roll-off of the Sats and high roll-off of the Sub(s). If the crossover seems too low, it’s because your Sats have lower extension, and your Sub may be low passed (cabinet or filter). To raise crossover, raise or turn off the low pass filter on your Sub and retry the Cal. Note: The higher the crossover, the more SPL your system will handle. The lower the crossover, the less localization of bass. In the case of wide bandwidth Subwoofers- going beyond 300Hz, the auto level calibration may not function correctly, producing strange results in the level calculation."

Not sure what the high roll off of your sub is, but you may want to consider engaging or lowering the low-pass filter. Obviously being careful to not leave a hole in overall system FR by going too low.
Good point... I'll check that as well.

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3137 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Good point... I'll check that as well.

What kind of sub or subs do you have?

I don't think there are too many subs that can reliably go flat to 300 Hz in the real world smile.gif. But the low pass filter strategy can be helpful: I used my own MiniDSP 10x10 HD (located between the R-972 and my HSU ULS-15 subs) to get my center and surrounds crossed lower than what I originally got from the Trinnov cal. By adding a 150 Hz low shelf filter, it helped me get my center crossed at more like 80 Hz (along with some work with the on-board woofer trim), and my surrounds (rated at 106 Hz @ -3 db, but in reality no better than 120 Hz) to a 140-150 Hz crossover.

Regardless, if you want to experiment with crossovers, it would be a good idea to get either an OmniMic kit or get the REW+UMIK-1 bundle so you can see the practical result in your room, and not just rely on listening tests. That way you could see if there really is a bass hole by aiming for a lower speaker crossover, as well as seeing if the subjective listening test of localization is an issue for you.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3138 of 3212 Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What kind of sub or subs do you have?

I don't think there are too many subs that can reliably go flat to 300 Hz in the real world smile.gif. But the low pass filter strategy can be helpful: I used my own MiniDSP 10x10 HD (located between the R-972 and my HSU ULS-15 subs) to get my center and surrounds crossed lower than what I originally got from the Trinnov cal. By adding a 150 Hz low shelf filter, it helped me get my center crossed at more like 80 Hz (along with some work with the on-board woofer trim), and my surrounds (rated at 106 Hz @ -3 db, but in reality no better than 120 Hz) to a 140-150 Hz crossover.

Regardless, if you want to experiment with crossovers, it would be a good idea to get either an OmniMic kit or get the REW+UMIK-1 bundle so you can see the practical result in your room, and not just rely on listening tests. That way you could see if there really is a bass hole by aiming for a lower speaker crossover, as well as seeing if the subjective listening test of localization is an issue for you.

An old crappy 8" pioneer sub that is small enough to not annoy my better half (the one used for the quick autocal) and a Rythmik F15-HP (the one I pull out for my movies… WAF be damned). Either way, the low-pass filter for the sub was set at ~100Hz, so I clearly have in-room response that dictates the higher crossovers. I do like the results, but I have to say I am very worried about the long-term reliability of a receiver dropped violently enough to unseat the HDMI board and bend the socket pins for that board (not to mention damaging the front of the chassis). Sadly, I will probably end up requesting an RMA.

-Samuel Goldwyn

post #3139 of 3212 Old 03-20-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hey - quick question. What order of high pass filter does the R-972 apply at a speaker crossover point (e.g. what's the rolloff per octave below the crossover)? And does the order of the fliter differ if Trinnov is set to None or active?

There's a reason I'm asking....

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3140 of 3212 Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

sdrucker:

Crossover slopes are from the standard TI PAF library: 4th order low pass and 2nd order high pass.

Jeff
post #3141 of 3212 Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

sdrucker:

Crossover slopes are from the standard TI PAF library: 4th order low pass and 2nd order high pass.

Jeff

That's what I thought....assumedly that works the same way regardless of whether Trinnov is engaged or not.

Reason I was wondering is that when I did a REW plot with and without Trinnov (Flat, no Remapping), my front right speaker had a response that looked like there was a much gentler high pass filter rolloff being utilized below the crossover (65 Hz, set by the Optimizer) than the rolloff I see on my front left speaker, when I turned my subs off and did a measurement of those speakers without sub response. For this purpose, I used a 70 Hz crossover with Trinnov off as a comparison to get something more "apples to apples" (as well as level matching before I ran the REW plots). My guess is that it's a room gain/placement issue, but I wanted to try to understand what was going on before I looked into it.

I have some control over using high pass filters with a MiniDSP 10x10 inserted between my 972's pre-outs and the amp, post-Trinnov, for my mains and subs, so I can attenuate the excess bass at the end of the day if I'd like above and beyond the results of the Trinnov cal. Not optimal, but better than nothing.

One day I'm hoping to get an MC-8 or similar, but until then....

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3142 of 3212 Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently looking for a gently used or like new R972 receiver. Please let me know if you have an extra or are selling one.

Thanks for your time. I have a ton of feedback on ebay, audiogon, etc.

-Nick
post #3143 of 3212 Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
pm sent!
post #3144 of 3212 Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Did some searching but cant find an answer

Hooked up to my Dish Hopper I do not get any audio, if I hook up a digital cable I get audio but no audio over HDMI

I have tried all the HDMI inputs with a WD box and a PS3 and I get audio, just no HDMI audio from my Hopper

anyone run across this?
I didnt see any settings on the dish box to turn off/on HDMI audio

Thanks

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #3145 of 3212 Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

My second/backup R-972's been sold to Nick! Hope he enjoys it.

By the way, if anyone's trying to contact Sherwood USA, I happened to see this on their website today. A quick call gets an automated voice referring to "American Audio/Video".

Sherwood USA
4325 Executive Drive, Suite 300
Southaven, MS. 38672
Tel : +1-866-916-4667
Fax : +1-877-457-2588

C/S & Technical Support : +1-866-916-4667

Looks like they've relocated.

Stuart

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

post #3146 of 3212 Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is this unit an R-972 (craigslist out of Austin) by another name? I don't think the picture has anything to do with the unit being offered.
post #3147 of 3212 Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

I don't think the picture has anything to do with the unit being offered.
Dunno about the Inkel, but the photo is definitely a Trinnov Optimizer unit and not the item for sale.
post #3148 of 3212 Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:

Is this unit an R-972 (craigslist out of Austin) by another name? I don't think the picture has anything to do with the unit being offered.

Inkel is the OEM CE mfg company that actually made the Sherwood R972. Inkel also OEM's some receiver models for other well-known brand name CE companies.

the 1st picture is NOT the R972, it looks like an older full blown Trinnov Optimizer processor but I don't know which specific model. I do know the latest ones directly from Trinnov don't look like that & neither does the ADA version.

the 2nd picture to the right that you can click on IS the Sherwood 972.

Steve
post #3149 of 3212 Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Inkel is more than the OEM for the Sherwood R-972. They also own the brand.

Jeff
post #3150 of 3212 Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

That pic is an ADA Cinema Reference Mach IV I believe. Could be a scam as I believe they go for about 80,000. See ada.net
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page