Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 3216 Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post

That pic is an ADA Cinema Reference Mach IV I believe. Could be a scam as I believe they go for about 80,000. See ada.net

This could very well be some sort of scam, since whomever put the ad up is using a picture of an approximately $40K SoTA ADA pre/pro to help sell what may or may not be a R-972. Note that they're selling this for approximately double that AC4L was charging ($599, later priced at $499 for much of its run) before they had final closeout on new units in December. Whomever's selling also isn't mentioning Sherwood Newcastle but Inkel for some reason, which is odd because Inkel has little to no brand recognition among American consumers, given that they're an OEM. The whole ad strikes me as a crude cut and paste job from promotional materials, aimed at drawing the gullible.

The $40K is from a 2012 press release on twice.com; DK if that's still the going rate for the Mach IV.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 3216 Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 40
For those still looking for one of these, a used one just went up for sale in the San Diego area.

For some sick reason I have searches I run to see news about these and I keep finding these for sales.
simon wagstaff2 likes this.
artur9 is online now  
post #3153 of 3216 Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

This could very well be some sort of scam, since whomever put the ad up is using a picture of an approximately $40K SoTA ADA pre/pro to help sell what may or may not be a R-972. Note that they're selling this for approximately double that AC4L was charging ($599, later priced at $499 for much of its run) before they had final closeout on new units in December. Whomever's selling also isn't mentioning Sherwood Newcastle but Inkel for some reason, which is odd because Inkel has little to no brand recognition among American consumers, given that they're an OEM. The whole ad strikes me as a crude cut and paste job from promotional materials, aimed at drawing the gullible.

The $40K is from a 2012 press release on twice.com; DK if that's still the going rate for the Mach IV.
I started an email thread with guy, and when I confirmed they were actual Sherwood/Newcastle units, and asked why he didn't just say they were....he stopped communicating with me.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cschang is offline  
post #3154 of 3216 Old 04-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Member
 
bigdgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love my 972. Had it for about 18 months. I moved recently and now I have an AM radio signal coming through the speakers. I'm running a NAD M-25 amp alongside it. I've switched electrical outlets and still had the problem so I don't think that's the source. Also checked the speaker lines and it doesn't seem to be there. Do I need a signal cleaner? Has anyone else had this issue with their 972?
bigdgp is offline  
post #3155 of 3216 Old 04-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Member
 
Encom Tron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Grid
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just sent you a PM. I would be interested in purchasing your extra R-972 if you decide to sell it.
Encom Tron is offline  
post #3156 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Member
 
typ44q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia South Carolina
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone had to have the HDMI board on their receiver replaced? HDMI ports 2,3 and 4 are on one board and mine went out about 6 months ago. I called their tech support and ended up having to ship the thing in for repairs (under warranty but $55 shipping) Now again this past weekend it appears that the board has failed but I am reluctant to send it back to be replaced as I am not sure it is worth spending the additional money on it only to possibly have it fail again.
I do not recall anyone else having this problem so I am wondering if it is something in my setup? I have an oppo 103 bluray player connected to HDMI 1 and that works fine. HDMI 2 has a Roku player connected, HDMI 3 is a Time warner cable box and HDMI 4 is a Chromecast dongle.
Everything is pluged into a monster cable power center thing.
typ44q is offline  
post #3157 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ44q View Post

Has anyone had to have the HDMI board on their receiver replaced? HDMI ports 2,3 and 4 are on one board and mine went out about 6 months ago. I called their tech support and ended up having to ship the thing in for repairs (under warranty but $55 shipping) Now again this past weekend it appears that the board has failed but I am reluctant to send it back to be replaced as I am not sure it is worth spending the additional money on it only to possibly have it fail again.
I do not recall anyone else having this problem so I am wondering if it is something in my setup? I have an oppo 103 bluray player connected to HDMI 1 and that works fine. HDMI 2 has a Roku player connected, HDMI 3 is a Time warner cable box and HDMI 4 is a Chromecast dongle.
Everything is pluged into a monster cable power center thing.

Are you sure it's not some obscure HDMI handshake thing? You could try disconnecting all your cables (both ends) from HDMI 2-4, leaving everything off for some time, and then reconnecting. Otherwise, please let us know if how customer service for the R-972 is working out if you try to contact them. Sherwood USA has a different number on their website than in the past:
http://sherwoodusa.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp

Apparently the contact is now American Audio/Video in Mississippi, so I hope that they still have some knowledgeable about the Sherwood Newcastle AVRs.

If you can wait a few months eek.gif I'm probably going to sell my remaining R-972 and move to a pro Trinnov unit at some point this summer....

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3158 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Member
 
typ44q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbia South Carolina
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Are you sure it's not some obscure HDMI handshake thing? You could try disconnecting all your cables (both ends) from HDMI 2-4, leaving everything off for some time, and then reconnecting. Otherwise, please let us know if how customer service for the R-972 is working out if you try to contact them. Sherwood USA has a different number on their website than in the past:
http://sherwoodusa.com/aboutus/aboutus.asp

Apparently the contact is now American Audio/Video in Mississippi, so I hope that they still have some knowledgeable about the Sherwood Newcastle AVRs.

If you can wait a few months eek.gif I'm probably going to sell my remaining R-972 and move to a pro Trinnov unit at some point this summer....

The last time it happened the HDMI board needed to be replaced and it is exhibiting the same behavior. When it started the image and sound would black out and then eventually come back. This would increase in frequency over the next hour until the image remained black and the TV was telling me that there was no signal going to it. It does it on all of the HDMI ports on that board (HDMI 1 is physically located on a different board and is working fine.)

I am going to have to check my receipt but I think I might be out of the factory warranty period in which case I would not pay them to repair it.
I might just get a HDMI switch and run everything through HDMI 1
typ44q is offline  
post #3159 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

...and move to a pro Trinnov unit at some point this summer....

eek.gif

now we know who has money to spend on their system wink.gif
seriously, Stu, congratulations if you go this route. you'll be graduating to the big leagues and we will expect detailed reporting biggrin.gif just don't abandon us folks to hobnob in the $20K thread tongue.gifwink.gif

I'm still contemplating spending similar amount on some sort of projector setup...contemplating is still the operative word.

Steve
ss9001 is offline  
post #3160 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

eek.gif

now we know who has money to spend on their system wink.gif
seriously, Stu, congratulations if you go this route. you'll be graduating to the big leagues and we will expect detailed reporting biggrin.gif just don't abandon us folks to hobnob in the $20K thread tongue.gifwink.gif

I'm still contemplating spending similar amount on some sort of projector setup...contemplating is still the operative word.

I won't be the first guy to go from an R-972 to a pro unit on this thread...tongue.gif...I want to say Noah Katz and at least two other familiar names have made the same journey....

I won't argue that it's prohibitively expensive for at least 95% of AVSers, and it's JUST within my reach to do the Magnitude 8x8 or 12x12 (what Curt Hoyt of Trinnov USA recommended for me). But after spending several hours with Rur (Ken), sdurani (Sanjay) and Curt in January listening to Ken's MC-based system for a three way active crossover setup (two channel+sub), and my own umpteen calibrations in the past four months with the R-972, the feature set, ability to do custom target curves almost at will, and processing speed is THAT good for a tweaker to make it irresistible if you've the funds. Even more so if you look at multichannel implementations of Remapping.

I won't belabor the feature set, because I think it would be sadistic to others for whom an AVR is the only practical way to have Trinnov-level capabilities, but IMO a pro unit is something that you can build your system around for at least a decade to come, if not more, thanks to firmware upgrades and ability to scale up to 32 channels, at least as much as speakers define a system. In fact, I'd argue that given its capabilities, and some technical expertise, it's the most permanent part of an ideal system. Far more than pre/pros, sources, or display chain, when you consider future lifetime value. If home mobility is in one's future, even more of a controllable variable than your room...eek.gif

For an object-based audio future in particular, IMO it's worth the investment. If I didn't measure with REW, I probably would be satisfied with the R-972 and what may well be 1/2 octave smoothing correction (as per a chart that another user posted on one of the R-972 threads), but the fact of the matter is that as good as Trinnov in the Sherwood is, it's still a DSP implementation, and is a "one size fits all" approach by necessity WRT the system parameters.

Besides, I have no need for a projector in a multipurpose living room, I can't do a full set of acoustic treatments for aesthetic and physical placement reasons, and we're perfectly happy with our 10 year old gently used Lexus four-door. It's all a matter of priorities....

The tragedy is despite all of Curt's hard work, and the enthusiasts on this thread, Trinnov in a mass-market AVR will stay a dream outside of the R-972. But unfortunately the economics of R&D, and the relatively small niche of folks that appreciate Trinnov-level REQ and remapping limiting economy of scale kicking in, dictate nothing else. In a world where a generic Cirrus DSP that doesn't EQ subs or left/right speakers can supercede Audyssey for 2014 Onkyos (check out the Onkyo line on their website, do some Googling, and you'll see my point), it's hard to think otherwise.

Meanwhile.....the R-972 is still a damn good solution for the less obsessive among us....as long as you understand the limitations of the Sherwood product.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3161 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
noah katz is online now  
post #3162 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

In a world where a generic Cirrus DSP that doesn't EQ subs or left/right speakers can supercede Audyssey for 2014 Onkyos (check out the Onkyo line on their website, do some Googling, and you'll see my point), it's hard to think otherwise.

Onkyo - yes, I read that. a bit shocking they became bottom feeders on some of their models. I guess that was the cost trade-off to put HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 in. Have to pay HDMI their licensing fees.

Steve
ss9001 is offline  
post #3163 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Onkyo - yes, I read that. a bit shocking they became bottom feeders on some of their models. I guess that was the cost trade-off to put HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 in. Have to pay HDMI their licensing fees.

If they drop Audyssey from their flagship pre/pro, I would fall over...but it wouldn't be a shock.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3164 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

In a world where a generic Cirrus DSP that doesn't EQ subs or left/right speakers can supercede Audyssey for 2014 Onkyos (check out the Onkyo line on their website, do some Googling, and you'll see my point), it's hard to think otherwise.

We need to kleer the air as some of your comments about the new Onkyo AVRs are incorrect..
1. They do in fact EQ the front L/R loudspeakers when in a Surround mode, the front L/R can be bypassed when in the Stereo mode
2. Their Room EQ software does EQ the subwoofer or subwoofers

Audyssey will continue to be implemented in their higher end products, the reason for dropping it in the lower AVRs was $ royalty cost. But note that THX Select 2 was added as its royalty cost was lower than Audyssey. Consider AVR sales in a big box retailer or internet seller, where products are sold by power output, how many HDMI Ins/Outs and a few busswords...
THX simply has a higher awareness compared to Audyssey to the less informed consumer...
Plus the fact that Onkyo/Integra lost big $ over the last 3 years, thats why they sold majority interest to Gibson.

Regarding the Trinnov, though incredible in its sonics & performance again the basic issue is $ cost, resources and time required for software writing/debugging/validation. Beside the substantial processor power required to run the software even though Cirrus Logic now has the most powerful DSP quad core available. Sherwood (Inkel) is far more interested in building more AVRs for their OE customers including Sony, Pioneer, Denon, Harman/Kardon rather than investing in the Sherwood/Newcastle brand, even though Jeff did an incredible job in his many years there...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
M Code is online now  
post #3165 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

We need to kleer the air as some of your comments about the new Onkyo AVRs are incorrect..
1. They do in fact EQ the front L/R loudspeakers when in a Surround mode, the front L/R can be bypassed when in the Stereo mode
2. Their Room EQ software does EQ the subwoofer or subwoofers

Audyssey will continue to be implemented in their higher end products, the reason for dropping it in the lower AVRs was $ royalty cost. But note that THX Select 2 was added as its royalty cost was lower than Audyssey. Consider AVR sales in a big box retailer or internet seller, where products are sold by power output, how many HDMI Ins/Outs and a few busswords...
THX simply has a higher awareness compared to Audyssey to the less informed consumer...
Plus the fact that Onkyo/Integra lost big $ over the last 3 years, thats why they sold majority interest to Gibson.

Regarding the Trinnov, though incredible in its sonics & performance again the basic issue is $ cost, resources and time required for software writing/debugging/validation. Beside the substantial processor power required to run the software even though Cirrus Logic now has the most powerful DSP quad core available. Sherwood (Inkel) is far more interested in building more AVRs for their OE customers including Sony, Pioneer, Denon, Harman/Kardon rather than investing in the Sherwood/Newcastle brand, even though Jeff did an incredible job in his many years there...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

Thanks for the information - I was going off my own version of an informed source, and clearly you're closer to what's happening there than even "informed enthusiasts with industry friends" on the Internet are...you're an A/V engineer, correct?

I'm not in A/V, but in my field (marketing research) I worked on a conjoint (feature tradeoff) project for one of the companies you mentioned as OE customers of Inkel, and the feature priorities you cited are well in line with what we found for mid-tier AVRs: power stats, HDMI I/O, wireless connectivity, and the more features checklisted, the better. I won't argue that THX is better known than Audyssey for the moderately sophisticated buyer, and that the cost/benefit tradeoff for an DSP environment doesn't favor an AVR implementation. Some of us are outliers here on AVS and other Internet forums when it comes to putting REQ as a top priority, unfortunately.

If you're correct about Onkyo retaining Audyssey on their higher-end units, you'll make some diehard AVSers I know happy..tongue.gif. And I would be even happier to be wrong initially about that one.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3166 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post

Thanks for the information - I was going off my own version of an informed source, and clearly you're closer to what's happening there than even "informed enthusiasts with industry friends" on the Internet are...you're an A/V engineer, correct?

I'm not in A/V, but in my field (marketing research) I worked on a conjoint (feature tradeoff) project for one of the companies you mentioned as OE customers of Inkel, and the feature priorities you cited are well in line with what we found for mid-tier AVRs: power stats, HDMI I/O, wireless connectivity, and the more features checklisted, the better. I won't argue that THX is better known than Audyssey for the moderately sophisticated buyer, and that the cost/benefit tradeoff for an DSP environment doesn't favor an AVR implementation. Some of us are outliers here on AVS and other Internet forums when it comes to putting REQ as a top priority, unfortunately.

If you're correct about Onkyo retaining Audyssey on their higher-end units, you'll make some diehard AVSers I know happy..tongue.gif. And I would be even happier to be wrong initially about that one.

Regarding THX vs. Audyssey...
The reason for THX having higher brand awareness and being better known is simply due to the point THX was been around longer, for almost 30 years while Audyssey has been for 10 years, but in its 1st 5 years they were busy building up their business. What is interesting is that Denon drove the early product implementation for both THX and Audyssey...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
M Code is online now  
post #3167 of 3216 Old 04-23-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The reason for THX having higher brand awareness and being better known is simply due to the point THX was been around longer, for almost 30 years while Audyssey has been for 10 years...

I bet a lot of it is the THX logo and cool sound effects experienced by moviegoers.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #3168 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Augmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I have several noobie questions for you folks.  I'm in the process of completing my new speakers kits for the fronts and center.  Once complete i would like to start taking measurements with the OmniMic V2 that I received as a gift during x-mas but never used.  This will be my first time taking any measurement of my setup or anything else for that matter.

 

I also purchased a MiniDSP "on a whim" for my sub a couple of months ago which i hope to incorporate if need be.

 

My questions are really about taking measurements correctly with the R-972.

 

1.) Do i need to disconnect the speaks to isolate a subwoofer measurement? should this be done with or without Trinnov engaged?

 

2.) If the subwoofer measurements produces pecks, should I try to incorporate the MiniDSP in isolation with the sub or should i incorporate with all speakers in the mix?  

 

3.) What final measurement (s) should i be taking in the end to measure my setup as a whole?  Individual sweeps, all speakers driven sweeps?

 

Thanks for any help or guidance.   

Augmont is offline  
post #3169 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Member
 
islandman2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

I have several noobie questions for you folks.  I'm in the process of completing my new speakers kits for the fronts and center.  Once complete i would like to start taking measurements with the OmniMic V2 that I received as a gift during x-mas but never used.  This will be my first time taking any measurement of my setup or anything else for that matter.

I also purchased a MiniDSP "on a whim" for my sub a couple of months ago which i hope to incorporate if need be.

My questions are really about taking measurements correctly with the R-972.

1.) Do i need to disconnect the speaks to isolate a subwoofer measurement? NO. should this be done with or without Trinnov engaged? Read the Manual. After all speakers, and sub(s) are connected runTrinnov

2.) If the subwoofer measurements produces pecks, should I try to incorporate the MiniDSP in isolation with the sub or should i incorporate with all speakers in the mix?   No peak problems with Trinnov. IMO, the Minidsp will not be needed. Trinnov is just that good.

3.) What final measurement (s) should i be taking in the end to measure my setup as a whole?  Individual sweeps, all speakers driven sweeps?. Trinnov is automatic. Just let it do it's thing.

Thanks for any help or guidance.   

* Be sure to only use the Trinnov 3D mic when running Trinnov, even if the OmniMic V2 will connect to the R-972.

* I purchased a Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0 about a month ago hoping as an experiment to improve my low end even more in my system. I am still
experimenting, but as of yet, Trinnov is at least as good if not better than the Dual Core. Most likely, the Dual Core will be for sale before too long
islandman2020 is offline  
post #3170 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Augmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post


* Be sure to only use the Trinnov 3D mic when running Trinnov, even if the OmniMic V2 will connect to the R-972.

* I purchased a Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0 about a month ago hoping as an experiment to improve my low end even more in my system. I am still
experimenting, but as of yet, Trinnov is at least as good if not better than the Dual Core. Most likely, the Dual Core will be for sale before too long

thanks for your response.

 

I see where my questions or request may have been misunderstood.  I've had my R-972 for over a year and I've been using with Trinnov's 3D mapping which i think is the greatest thing since slice bread.  My intention wasn't to remove Trinnov or disengage but to measure the subwoofer and have better integration.  I've never been happy which why i would like to measure and find out why.  

 

I was under the impression that Trinnov left the subwoofer alone or didn't EQ outside of determining distance and level.  Is that correct?

Augmont is offline  
post #3171 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post

* Be sure to only use the Trinnov 3D mic when running Trinnov, even if the OmniMic V2 will connect to the R-972.

* I purchased a Dspeaker Dual Core 2.0 about a month ago hoping as an experiment to improve my low end even more in my system. I am still
experimenting, but as of yet, Trinnov is at least as good if not better than the Dual Core. Most likely, the Dual Core will be for sale before too long

The other thing to watch for IMO is that having another device in the signal chain (i.e. Dspeaker Dual Core or a MiniDSP) can have an impact on the gain structure. At least with the MiniDSP, there's something like a -6 db decrease in signal by inserting it between the pre-out and subs, with the usual unbalanced RCA connection. I had to do some finesse with the MiniDSP volume levels and a control I have on my Denon that I used as the amp for individual channel level adjustment to avoid having strange db levels show up in Trinnov Optimizer - e.g. a sub at -6db and the mains at -11 to -15 db. The odd thing is exactly the same volume levels when I ran Audyssey XT32 resulted in a tighter trim range - subs at -0.5, and my mains between -1 and -4 db.

Don't know about you, but I also found it harder to get the subs recognized by having that extra device in the mix. It appears to be more "all or nothing", meaning that literally just adding the external sub management device and keeping the volume level at 0 led to the subs not being recognized by the R-972 version of Trinnov, or creating sub trims that were too high in Trinnov Optimizer (e.g. that discrepancy I cited above, which is usually a sign that the subs are too hot).

Hmmm...did you do any measuring to see if the Dual Core was improving the sub channel? Curious, since with REW, I've found that at least this version of Trinnov does very little to correct the bass other than broad volume gain/boost adjustments, at least vs. XT32.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3172 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post

thanks for your response.

I see where my questions or request may have been misunderstood.  I've had my R-972 for over a year and I've been using with Trinnov's 3D mapping which i think is the greatest thing since slice bread.  My intention wasn't to remove Trinnov or disengage but to measure the subwoofer and have better integration.  I've never been happy which why i would like to measure and find out why.  

I was under the impression that Trinnov left the subwoofer alone or didn't EQ outside of determining distance and level.  Is that correct?

Nope, it does do sub EQ, with 7 IIR filters below 300 Hz IIRC. Speakers are IIR and FIR, subs are IIR only. See Curt's Trinnov notes or the R-972 Trinnov Notes thread. Not just distance/delay and level for the subs, fortunately!

Whether that does much for you is debatable (the pro Trinnov units are adjustable on the #/mix of filters and the resolution corrected, I believe), but considering that circa 2009, when the R-972 was released, Audyssey was still based on its relatively low resolution XT version, and the R-972 is a DSP version of Trinnov, it's better than nothing. At least it "does no harm" with REQ.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3173 of 3216 Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Augmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post


Nope, it does do sub EQ, with 7 IIR filters below 300 Hz IIRC. See Curt's Trinnov notes or the R-972 Trinnov Notes thread. Not just distance/delay and level.

Whether that does much for you is debatable (the pro Trinnov units are adjustable on the # of filters and the resolution corrected, I believe), but considering that circa 2009, when the R-972 was released, Audyssey was still based on it's relatively low resolution XT version, and the R-972 is a DSP version of Trinnov, it's better than nothing. At least it "does no harm" with REQ.

gotcha.........I did review that section on page 9 of the 'Application Notes' and I must have had blinders on.    Thanks Stuart.

Augmont is offline  
post #3174 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
dwk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I'm facing a crossroads with my R972.

About 8 months ago, I had the HDMI output of my unit go. Took the HDMI input of my projector with it (or vice-versa, I guess). We were in the process of listing the house and moving, so I didn't pursue or investigate it much at the time.

Got to the new place, and after various tests confirmed that there was nothing I could do to get HDMI output to work, I picked up a Sony Blu-ray player with dual outputs which allowed splitting the audio and video. Quick testing seemed to indicate that it worked Ok. So, with my wife out of town I spent yesterday finally getting everything set up (including a new projector). Somehow, despite the unit sitting powered off since the initial tests with the Sony, it appears that I now have NO hdmi functionality at all - even audio input is kaput. Tried a couple different cables to be sure, but no difference. Initially, I heard what I assume was a relay clicking at about a 1 sec frequency, but re-testing this morning I didn't hear that - I'll have to check again.
I managed to hook up a monitor via composite out (you have to switch an item in the settings first - almost gave up before realizing this) and got a 'good' initial calibration with a 6.1 setup. Watched Blade Runner with the DD soundtrack via optical and it was still pretty good, but going through all the effort and expense to get a projector based theater set up it's disappointing to say the least to not be able to run with higher-res soundtracks.

So, I guess I"m facing choosing between 3 not terribly attractive options
- run with compressed DD/DTS soundtracks but get the benefits of Trinnov
- look into shipping it off to Sherwood for repair, with unknown turnaround time and cost (I'm almost certainly out of warranty)
- give up on Trinnov and buy something new (after already shelling out and extra $1k for a new pj)

I"ll definitely be running as-is for a bit to see how satisfying it is, particularly since my sub setup isn't done and will likely involve some $$$. To turn this into something other than a plea for pity, I guess I'll ask whether anyone has done any real comparison between normal 5.1 Dd/DTS vs more modern blu-ray soundtracks in their system and what the magnitude of differences were. Is Trinnov enough of a benefit that it still wins the trade-off compared to anything I"d be looking at as a replacement?
dwk123 is offline  
post #3175 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Member
 
islandman2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
dwk123, you tried "resetting" the R-972 by simultaneously pressing the "enter/memo" and "standby" buttons right? Make sure before you start that the standby button is in the standby mode.
islandman2020 is offline  
post #3176 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
dwk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post

dwk123, you tried "resetting" the R-972 by simultaneously pressing the "enter/memo" and "standby" buttons right? Make sure before you start that the standby button is in the standby mode.

I did the reset when I originally hit the output problem (didn't help), but I hadn't done that yesterday since I didn't discover that the HDMI in didn't work until after I had finally gotten a decent calibration. I just tried it though, and no change. I probably do need to verify that the audio is actually present on the HDMI feed - the blu-ray setup menu indicates that it should be in split-signal mode, but it's probably worth verifying. I can't say I'm wildly optimistic, though.
dwk123 is offline  
post #3177 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Member
 
islandman2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
dwk, how are you doing your HDMI set up in the R-972? Is it similar to this?

P1150350.JPG 370k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150350.JPG (369.5 KB, 25 views)
islandman2020 is offline  
post #3178 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
dwk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Denver
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post

dwk, how are you doing your HDMI set up in the R-972? Is it similar to this?

P1150350.JPG 370k .JPG file

I tried it a couple ways - like you show with video set to hdmi, but also with video configured as component. I figured that expecting a video stream over HDMI that wasn't present might have confused the issue.
dwk123 is offline  
post #3179 of 3216 Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post

I tried it a couple ways - like you show with video set to hdmi, but also with video configured as component. I figured that expecting a video stream over HDMI that wasn't present might have confused the issue.

Probably not helpful for you, but if you're not in a hurry, I'm planning to sell my R-972 and replace it with a pro Trinnov of some sort (a Magnitude 8x8 probably) later this summer.

Stuart

 

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

 

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sdrucker is online now  
post #3180 of 3216 Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk123 View Post

- run with compressed DD/DTS soundtracks but get the benefits of Trinnov

I think you'll be fine with the above option.

I believe blind testing has demonstrated no ability for listeners to tell the difference between uncompressed and high bitrate DD/DTS soundtracks available on BD.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off