Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #3361 of 3372 Old 07-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 972 is no longer working, but when I had it calibrated, my sweet spot was a lot larger than 3 inches. Granted it is calibrated to where the mic is placed which is the main listening position, but I didn't lose it if I was one seat over on the sofa.. The corrected soundstage was pretty big. I don't know if distance to speakers would make a difference here, but could see where it might??

Jay S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Weeks View Post
Okay, I need some help, and maybe I am doing something wrong. I just got my R-972 and at first I was not terribly impressed compared to my Meridian 565 or my Onkyo PR SC5508 with XT32, though I could see the potential is there.

I ran the optimizer again and added the +3 and bam, the magic was there.

Closest I could get to center was 2 degrees.

My biggest problem is this, my sweet spot is merely inches with 3d remapping. Is this normal?

For example, the second I move my head to the left or right by a mere 3 to 4 inches, I lose the magic and can here everything coming out of the left speaker. I've read some people say their sweet spot is 6'. That certainly isn't even close to the case with me. Am I doing something wrong? Same with leaning my head back if I want to relax, muffled.

I'm using position 1, and I've tried all of the settings and eq. It's bad enough that my wife will be sitting 2 to 3 ft from me on the other side of the couch and not hear things properly, but if I move my head just the wrong way or adjust in my seat, the remapping and focus on the center is gone and moves.

I've read others say to take measurements using position 1 and 2, but does this really matter? Aren't those just other sitting positions?

Now we have a couch dead center in front of the screen. BUT, I sit to the right and my wife to the left. No one sits in the middle, so I took the measurement from where I sit. Should I have taken it from the middle?

I'm usually fairly savvy with tech, but I'm lost as to why my sweet spot is about 3 inches wide (not even sure it's that wide).

This is with Klipsch THX Ultra2 all around in 7.1 if that matters.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3372 Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post
My 972 is no longer working, but when I had it calibrated, my sweet spot was a lot larger than 3 inches. Granted it is calibrated to where the mic is placed which is the main listening position, but I didn't lose it if I was one seat over on the sofa.. The corrected soundstage was pretty big. I don't know if distance to speakers would make a difference here, but could see where it might??

Jay S.
I keep reading that people have a large sweet spot. I literally have one of a few inches. If I move my head the wrong way, it's gone. I wonder if it has something to do with Klipsch horns.

I also notice that my system says Dolby PLIIx when playing a movie, but it doesn't seems to let me change that (I figured Trinnov was overriding that). Maybe that's causing the issue.

One thing is for certain. I'm a believer now. I don't care if it's a trick, if it's wrong, if it's "not in stereo," etc. I don't want to listen any other way now. And just when I thought Audyssey was okay, and Divac was better, this has made my Klipsch Ultra2 THX speakers (which were originally mediocre for music) nearly as good as my old stock Genesis VI without RC (which was nothing short of amazing themselves). Now, keep in mind I say nearly, because I can't even goddam imagine what those Genesis would have been like benefitting from Trinnov. This really is the amazing system everyone says it is.

Last edited by James Weeks; 07-17-2015 at 03:41 PM.
post #3363 of 3372 Old 07-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I also notice that my system says Dolby PLIIx when playing a movie, but it doesn't seems to let me change that (I figured Trinnov was overriding that). Maybe that's causing the issue.
If your source is blu-ray, then yes there's something not right if it's playing Dolby PLIIx. My reads PCM (via a PS3) for blu-ray discs or Digital (via Directv with digital dolby) as examples.

Also, i have SEOS wave guides speakers for fronts and after reading the following article and toe-ing my speakers in considerably I notice my "sweet spot" was much wider than before.

http://libinst.com/PublicArticles/Se...20Speakers.pdf
post #3364 of 3372 Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post
Quote:
If your source is blu-ray, then yes there's something not right if it's playing Dolby PLIIx. My reads PCM (via a PS3) for blu-ray discs or Digital (via Directv with digital dolby) as examples.

Also, i have SEOS wave guides speakers for fronts and after reading the following article and toe-ing my speakers in considerably I notice my "sweet spot" was much wider than before.

I'm glad I browse some of these assorted threads, this is a greatly useful illustration
post #3365 of 3372 Old 07-18-2015, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I keep reading that people have a large sweet spot. I literally have one of a few inches. If I move my head the wrong way, it's gone. I wonder if it has something to do with Klipsch horns.
How do you have your speakers pointed? Straight ahead?

Quote:

I would suggest playing with the toe-in as Augment suggested. The horns would have a similar behavior as the SEOS waveguide.
post #3366 of 3372 Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Now we have a couch dead center in front of the screen. BUT, I sit to the right and my wife to the left. No one sits in the middle, so I took the measurement from where I sit. Should I have taken it from the middle?
What's the distance between the speakers and the LP or couch? I suggest trying the calibration from the middle of the couch, assuming it's centered with the TV and center channel (but save your other attempts) as it otherwise would be trying to map/EQ the speakers differently (L different from R speaker).

Last edited by Audio Geek; 07-18-2015 at 09:20 AM.
post #3367 of 3372 Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
How do you have your speakers pointed? Straight ahead?

I would suggest playing with the toe-in as Augment suggested. The horns would have a similar behavior as the SEOS waveguide.
They are toed in slightly. Subconsciously it just doesn't make sense to toe them in more for a wider sweet spot, one would think that would shrink it, but then Trinnov makes no sense either in what it does so naturally. I'll try it.
post #3368 of 3372 Old 07-18-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
What's the distance between the speakers and the LP or couch? I suggest trying the calibration from the middle of the couch, assuming it's centered with the TV and center channel (but save your other attempts) as it otherwise would be trying to map/EQ the speakers differently (L different from R speaker).
I will try this, as well. Basically I'm about 8 to 9 feet from the mains, about 5 to 6 ft from rears, except one side speaker is about 12 ft away to the right.
post #3369 of 3372 Old 07-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've noticed in the last few months on occasions but more lately now that the audio drops when i'm watching a show (live or DVR) on my Directv. I have to pause & rewind to get the audio back on. It's not the 3-second delay you get when content changes from a commercial or channel but while the show is in progress. Haven't watched any movies on Blu-ray for a long time so i don't know happens there too.

Wondering if this is the beginning of the end for my receiver. Anybody have that issue with increase frequency? I haven't changed anything in my setup.

Thanks....
post #3370 of 3372 Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
I've noticed in the last few months on occasions but more lately now that the audio drops when i'm watching a show (live or DVR) on my Directv. I have to pause & rewind to get the audio back on. It's not the 3-second delay you get when content changes from a commercial or channel but while the show is in progress. Haven't watched any movies on Blu-ray for a long time so i don't know happens there too.

Wondering if this is the beginning of the end for my receiver. Anybody have that issue with increase frequency? I haven't changed anything in my setup.

Thanks....
Try connecting the audio through a optical of coax digital input and see if the dropouts stop. I've had these sorts of issues with HDMI and DirecTV in the past.

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Samsung 32" LCD, Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer Elite BDP-62, Toshiba A35, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Def Tech; SM 450, SM 350, CLR 2002, BP2X, Pro Sub 100, Infinity PS12
Living Room, Mitsubishi HD4000, 92" screen, Samsung 40" LCD, Panasonic DMP-BT330, DirecTV HR24-200, Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, Polk; CS1, RC80i (4), Klipsch Sub10
post #3371 of 3372 Unread Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post
May be different settings available on the different players. On the Oppo, I have Digital Output set to RAW (not PCM) and HDMI Audio set to Auto, not LPCM.

Jay S.

I've tested a few scenarios so far and found that MC LPCM works for the following setups:
Oppo-103->R-972
Panasonic BDT-210>R-972
DBP-A100->AVR-A100

It doesn't work for these setups:
DBP-A100>R-972
Sony BDPS5200>R-972

I have a support request in to Denon. I may try following up with Sherwood too, but not sure how far I'll get that route (well, either really).
post #3372 of 3372 Unread Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I need to buy another R-972 so if anyone has one they'd consider selling (working please) please send me a PM. Thanks!

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page