Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
hi again,

my r972 stopped working AGAIN. last time i left it unplugged for two days and it started working again. this time, no luck.

Even when i hit test on the remote, it says its outputting sound to the speakers for a test tone but no sound comes out. it also does not recognize when a bluray player has been switched on.
i tried doing another auto-optimize to see if that would jog it back on- the screen says "no error" and testing left channel- no sound is outputted , and nothing happens.

i think its done and im ready to throw it in the trash and move on. my question is, are there any parts in the unit that are worth anything that i should take out before chunking it?

thanks
Is the blu-Ray player connected with hdmi, and is that the only thing you have connected with hdmi? Other people have reported the hdmi board going out on these receivers.

What about trying an external amp? Maybe your amp board is bad.

If you decide to chuck it, do you mind chucking it my way? I'd like to expirement with repairing the hdmi board if that is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
Is the blu-Ray player connected with hdmi, and is that the only thing you have connected with hdmi? Other people have reported the hdmi board going out on these receivers.

What about trying an external amp? Maybe your amp board is bad.

If you decide to chuck it, do you mind chucking it my way? I'd like to expirement with repairing the hdmi board if that is the problem.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try tHem. i think hdmi os definitely out because it doesnt even recognize or respond when the player is sending audio BUT, when i switch hdmi audio to on, it passes it to the tv no problem.

It sucks as this is an awesome sounding receiver. Imo probably better than the separates in my main room.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 AM
3D Audio Consultant

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try tHem. i think hdmi os definitely out because it doesnt even recognize or respond when the player is sending audio BUT, when i switch hdmi audio to on, it passes it to the tv no problem.

It sucks as this is an awesome sounding receiver. Imo probably better than the separates in my main room.
It's been mentioned before, perhaps useful now. HDMI - the 1st HDMI is on a different board then the other HDMI inputs. Sometimes only one HDMI board fails. You can verify by trying input 1, then alternatively another input. As there is pass thru, it may be something else entirely.

Cheers,

Trinnov Audio
USA

Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Trinnov View Post
It's been mentioned before, perhaps useful now. HDMI - the 1st HDMI is on a different board then the other HDMI inputs. Sometimes only one HDMI board fails. You can verify by trying input 1, then alternatively another input. As there is pass thru, it may be something else entirely.

Cheers,
I will try that. thanks. Im just wondering why it wont even play the test tones.

I also notice that there is an optical output blinking on the back . could it somehow be sending the audio through this output? I have verified that I dont have any settings (to my knowledge) that would cause this

And once I had all 2,048 speakers arranged in a fractionally asymmetrical snowflake pattern, as suggested by the Antikythera mechanism, I was able to listen to the Sesame Street theme song *as it was meant to be heard*
Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
my r972 stopped working AGAIN. last time i left it unplugged for two days and it started working again. this time, no luck.
When I tested a couple (years ago) one wouldn't output anything and I had to reinsert one (it had popped up a bit) of the boards. Couldn't hurt to try... if you haven't.

Home Theatre Tweets
16x9 120" | Mitsubishi HC7900DW | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Denon AVR-X5200W & AudioSource AMP 110 | OpenELEC/Kodi HTPC Build
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
When I tested a couple (years ago) one wouldn't output anything and I had to reinsert one (it had popped up a bit) of the boards. Couldn't hurt to try... if you haven't.
I havent tried that, but I definitely will. thanks for sharing.

And once I had all 2,048 speakers arranged in a fractionally asymmetrical snowflake pattern, as suggested by the Antikythera mechanism, I was able to listen to the Sesame Street theme song *as it was meant to be heard*
Old 01-13-2016, 06:43 PM

i tested all the suggestions today. the verdict is that i now have a very nice sounding analog preamp.

the preamp outputs work as normal and the analog inputs work as normal.

the amp section is MIA, as is the HDMI section( i tried multiple inputs) . its still weird that there is audio/video pass through but no processing.

really disappointed but oh well. i'll either keep it as an analog preamp or sell it as such.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would hit the hdmi board with a hair dryer for 45 seconds or so then power it up to rule out bga solder defects.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:04 AM

ok,, this is really, really odd

i had tried to make sure that the hdmi board was seated, and it was. then i decided to take the board completely out and see if i could find any bad joints. no luck. with the hdmi board out, i tried to see if amp section would work. no workie. so i put the hdmi board back in, frustrated, ready to just put the damn thing on the curb for pickup.

well, i said let me just try it one last time. i plugged the bluray player in, and fired up netflix. WTF, it changed from mch stereo to digital. could this pos be working? i connected a speaker to the center channel and wouldnt you know, now the amp section works too. seriously, wtf?

not only that, dolby digital plus, which has NEVER worked since ive owned this thing, is also now working.

now the dilemma. do i sell it knowing that its just a matter of time, or do i hang on to this thing since i dont believe i can get close to this sound quality anywhere under $500?

ahhh. decisions. i kept it the last time and i have a feeling im gonna be a knucklehead and keep it this time too.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:04 AM

duplicate

Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Keep it imo
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM

Hey guys quick question.

Im trying this receiver in my main room but getting a problem.

I have run the trinnov calibration 4 times in all three positions and when its engaged, the center channel is coming out of the right speaker.

Help
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hey guys quick question.

Im trying this receiver in my main room but getting a problem.

I have run the trinnov calibration 4 times in all three positions and when its engaged, the center channel is coming out of the right speaker.

Help
What were the results of your calibration runs? If you can post a pic of the results from position 1, 2, and 3 that would be helpful.

If right speaker is at 0 degrees or even close then that would explain it. If not then maybe something is broken
Old 01-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Keep it imo
i decided to try it in my main room and im definitely keeping it. it sounds amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post
What were the results of your calibration runs? If you can post a pic of the results from position 1, 2, and 3 that would be helpful.

If right speaker is at 0 degrees or even close then that would explain it. If not then maybe something is broken
im attaching pics. i even did a hard reset, which fixed some other issues,but not this one.

with mapping set to none or dly + lvl, center channel is sent to the right speaker( 3.1 system)

with mapping set to autoroute,2d or 3d, it sends the center to both left and right speakers but not to the center.

i need to get this fixed because it is replacing my preamp in the main room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160122_015845.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1200914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160122_015916.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1200922  

Old 01-22-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 44
From my aging memory, I think may be experiencing a known bug with less than a 5.1 system. Perhaps Curt from Trinnov can chime in.

Jeff
1201 likes this.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
From my aging memory, I think may be experiencing a known bug with less than a 5.1 system. Perhaps Curt from Trinnov can chime in.

Jeff
thanks a bunch for the info. i connected some speakers to the rear channels and was able to get the center working as it should.

Old Today, 04:22 PM
amt

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My R972 has been unused for the last 7 months, but I decided to put it back in service this week. Everything was working previously, but now all digital inputs are not working. Not sure what changed when sitting for 7 months. Anyway, this was just to tide me over until my new processor arrives (Anthem AVM 60). I think the R972 still may have some use for me as a 7 channel amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972