Sherwood R-972 User Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Trinnov View Post
It's been mentioned before, perhaps useful now. HDMI - the 1st HDMI is on a different board then the other HDMI inputs. Sometimes only one HDMI board fails. You can verify by trying input 1, then alternatively another input. As there is pass thru, it may be something else entirely.

Cheers,
y

Curt...

I've got two of these now.. One with no audio but video and setup controls (not even test tones) and one with no video / setup but puts out audio. :-( I hear what you're saying abut HDMI being on a different board, but when I open up mine (both of them), HDMI 1 is plugged into the same slot on the mother board as all the HDMI inputs. Maybe there is some other rerouted circuitry going on but as far as where it is plugged in, all the HDMI seem to be on the same card and in the same slot. More than glad to take a picture and upload. I'm certainly not questioning you because I know you were involved with the design to some extent, but it sure looks like they're all plugged into the same slot...

I'd dearly love to figure out how to make one good one out of the two.

Jay S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 AM

Just another question... (and all things finally reach a point of technology passing them by). We know the 972 can't do 3D. Question is with its 1.4a HDMI connections will it route HDR / 4K, etc. Are we looking to be at a point where some switching can still be done with the R-972, but where some devices are going to need a direct connection to the set with audio only (TOSLINK/DIGITAL)? The 972 did not support ARC either if memory is serving me correctly..
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM
3D Audio Consultant

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS99 View Post
Just another question... (and all things finally reach a point of technology passing them by). We know the 972 can't do 3D. Question is with its 1.4a HDMI connections will it route HDR / 4K, etc. Are we looking to be at a point where some switching can still be done with the R-972, but where some devices are going to need a direct connection to the set with audio only (TOSLINK/DIGITAL)? The 972 did not support ARC either if memory is serving me correctly..
Question of bandwidth- HDMI 2.0 has more data and higher bandwidth specs then 1.4a. Even if the R972 isn't processing, in any case, it won't pass a signal that requires higher bandwidth then spec, which is a function of pixels, color depth, refresh rate, etc.

Re HDMI boards, you'll need to get a copy of the service manual for locations. I learned about the two HDMI boards from the Sherwood tech who provided warranty repair work while it was available.

Cheers,

Trinnov Audio
USA

Old 08-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_Trinnov View Post
Question of bandwidth- HDMI 2.0 has more data and higher bandwidth specs then 1.4a. Even if the R972 isn't processing, in any case, it won't pass a signal that requires higher bandwidth then spec, which is a function of pixels, color depth, refresh rate, etc.

Re HDMI boards, you'll need to get a copy of the service manual for locations. I learned about the two HDMI boards from the Sherwood tech who provided warranty repair work while it was available.

Cheers,
Curt,

First thanks!

So I take it you're saying the 4k, HDR, etc. are going to more than likely be in the same category as 3D as far as support? Not a question of intent, just what the design was capable of doing at the time?

RE: Service manuals.. Anyone have a clue where I could even see one? Is there a PDF file someone might be able to share? Sure would help me with the two I have..

Jay S.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I know the answer to this but wanted to double check. Other than being routed through the receiver's volume control, is the R-972's 7.1 channel analog input essentially a pass-through connection with no other processing or "molesting" done to the signal? I know that Trinnov processing is not available on that particular input, but was wondering if the unit does anything else to the signal that would have a negative effect on it? I'd like to be able to use the multi-channel analog input to directly connect a source with better quality DAC's for music listening, but if the R-972's circuitry on that input is then going to turn around and degrade or dirty up the signal somehow, it's kind of pointless. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It remains in the analog domain unless you change it.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sherwood Newcastle R 972